ADVERTISEMENT

GW-Danville @ Dinwiddie CCD

Thank you Chuck. I double checked with a contact that would know, and it was simply a case of inability to find a suitable day for a game. GW went on COVID pause for the original date. Dinwiddie went on Covid pause for the first makeup date. After trying to find a day that worked for both teams, it was agreed to try for Nov 2. As the day grew near, the two schools talked and it was mutually agreed that it was best to just cancel the game. There was no animosity, no disagreement, just mutual respect and consideration. Nothing more, nothing less. Thanks again.

Thank you Chuck. I double checked with a contact that would know, and it was simply a case of inability to find a suitable day for a game. GW went on COVID pause for the original date. Dinwiddie went on Covid pause for the first makeup date. After trying to find a day that worked for both teams, it was agreed to try for Nov 2. As the day grew near, the two schools talked and it was mutually agreed that it was best to just cancel the game. There was no animosity, no disagreement, just mutual respect and consideration. Nothing more, nothing less. Thanks again.
If they were ducking, they would have never scheduled the game in the first place. They just couldn't get the game in. Only problem I have is by rule someone is supposed to forfeit. So if VHSL allows this game to be a no contest then they need to let all the other games go down as no contest as well. GW / Dinwiddie are not the only teams that had to deal with this. As far as I all games since ratings came out have been forfeits except this one. When teams are battling for playoff positioning these things matter.

If they were ducking, they would have never scheduled the game in the first place. They just couldn't get the game in. Only problem I have is by rule someone is supposed to forfeit. So if VHSL allows this game to be a no contest then they need to let all the other games go down as no contest as well. GW / Dinwiddie are not the only teams that had to deal with this. As far as I all games since ratings came out have been forfeits except this one. When teams are battling for playoff positioning these things matter.
The VHSL Executive Committee made the decision before the season started to allow schools to declare a no contest if they couldn’t get the game in, and both teams agreed. This was a temporary modification of the rules for forfeiture as spelled out in the Handbook. It was anticipated, and unfortunately came true, that there would be an exorbitant number of games affected by Covid protocols. The EC decided that it was in the best interest of the student athletes to not punish a team for following protocol. They encouraged all member schools to make every effort to reschedule missed games, or to try and find substitute games. Further, the member schools were asked to try to reach an agreement to declare a game that could not be made up as a no contest. There were procedures spelled out to follow if an agreement could not be reached.

I know Dinwiddie isn’t ducking anyone. Just trying to get under the skin of a poster since I was falsely accused of being another GW poster who admitted to me the other day that he hasn’t even followed GW much this year. It doesn’t make any sense for either team to risk injury this close to playoffs.

The VHSL Executive Committee made the decision before the season started to allow schools to declare a no contest if they couldn’t get the game in, and both teams agreed. This was a temporary modification of the rules for forfeiture as spelled out in the Handbook. It was anticipated, and unfortunately came true, that there would be an exorbitant number of games affected by Covid protocols. The EC decided that it was in the best interest of the student athletes to not punish a team for following protocol. They encouraged all member schools to make every effort to reschedule missed games, or to try and find substitute games. Further, the member schools were asked to try to reach an agreement to declare a game that could not be made up as a no contest. There were procedures spelled out to follow if an agreement could not be reached.
I'm not buying this answer. If the committee did come to this agreement then why do we have any forfeits? I keep seeing this punish the kids statement. What about the kids that have worked just as hard but come in behind a team because they declared a no contest after the ratings came out. Because one of these teams would have lost. One of these teams will benefit from not playing the game. One of these teams will still be punished because they would have won and probably clinched #1 seed in region

Last edited:
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I know Dinwiddie isn’t ducking anyone. Just trying to get under the skin of a poster since I was falsely accused of being another GW poster who admitted to me the other day that he hasn’t even followed GW much this year. It doesn’t make any sense for either team to risk injury this close to playoffs.
Since when do we not play games because of risk of injury. It's the same risk week one as it is in week 10.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Since when do we not play games because of risk of injury. It's the same risk week one as it is in week 10.
💯 guess I’m just letting the situation go. I agree wholeheartedly with your last two posts.

Reactions: SFUWO
GW didn't duck Dinwiddie and Dinwiddie didn't duck GW. Game was rescheduled for a date that at the time seemed best for both. Circumstances prevailed and both teams mutually agreed by rule to a no contest. The injury concern was only expressed with regard to playing what would amount to a blowout meaningless game against Tunstall. It's past time for us to all get over this topic.

GW didn't duck Dinwiddie and Dinwiddie didn't duck GW. Game was rescheduled for a date that at the time seemed best for both. Circumstances prevailed and both teams mutually agreed by rule to a no contest. The injury concern was only expressed with regard to playing what would amount to a blowout meaningless game against Tunstall. It's past time for us to all get over this topic.
Didn’t you read my above post. Stop pandering and let it go.

Yep by rule someone has to forfeit. Nobody is ducking anyone. Once again if they were why did they schedule the game in the first place. This thread needs to be ended. Points have been made. If they can do a no contest, other teams should have that option too. That's the only issue. Forfeit or no forfeits for all teams in similar situations.

Last edited:
Things are getting interesting with these no contest and forfeits. Apparently, the vhsl has stepped in and changed the Chancellor vs Massaponax game from a no contest to forfeit for Chancellor. Interesting to see if they make Massaponax take a forfeit for the King George game.

Reactions: 540HSfootballFan
Things are getting interesting with these no contest and forfeits. Apparently, the vhsl has stepped in and changed the Chancellor vs Massaponax game from a no contest to forfeit for Chancellor. Interesting to see if they make Massaponax take a forfeit for the King George game.
by VHSL's own rules, any game not played once ratings are released should have one team forfeit. Also states that if one team does not forfeit before regional playoffs both teams can be accessed a forfeit. Granted we have had a bunch of Covid issues. Defiantly eating popcorn watching how this final week goes.

Reactions: 540HSfootballFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT