ADVERTISEMENT

GW Danville vs EC Glass

Wilson was the best Running Back I've seen. Kendrick is the best runner. Just in terms of the raw attributes of running. His open-field moves are special. Wilson had power and speed...Kendrick has open field moves and a sixth sense.

Of course, this is the only game I've seen him play live...but I've seen enough.
How many touches did Edmunds have tonight?

I can remember the days where a game of this caliber was written about all week leading up to the game on Friday. I don’t think people realize just how big this game is. I know Glass and Heritage is seen as a bigger rivalry now than Glass/GW, but back when I was in elementary/middle school it was a huge thing in Danville when Glass played GW. I remember my 8th grade year, we played Dunbar and even then as 13 year olds, we acted like the world ended when we lost to the Poets. It just meant that much to beat “Glass”. Hope this rivalry can continue for years to come! Looking forward to a great game tonight! Safe travels for all and may the best team win!
Dunbar went away in 1970. You must be my age. I can remember how big the Glass-GW game was. One big difference I think is these two power houses now play in D-4. They used to play in the Old Triple A. Top division in VA. Now Glass is playing Rustburg. When I was in the 8 th grade, Glass J/V played Rustburg varsity and Glass won. Times have changed.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Dunbar went away in 1970. You must be my age. I can remember how big the Glass-GW game was. One big difference I think is these two power houses now play in D-4. They used to play in the Old Triple A. Top division in VA. Now Glass is playing Rustburg. When I was in the 8 th grade, Glass J/V played Rustburg varsity and Glass won. Times have changed.
I think he's talking about Dunbar Middle School.

@mike salem is correct! I wasn’t born until the mid 90s lol.. We played Dunbar in Lynchburg my eighth grade year which would have been in the Fall of 2007. I still remember going down that HUGE hill to play them. The school was absolutely gorgeous, looked like a castle on the hill. We lost 12-6, no scoreboard, nothing to show how much time was left in the game or even what quarter it was. No complaining, a couple of “they cheated us” but what can you expect a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds to say when we’ve been taught since the old Danville Optimist League to hate Glass! It was serious. Of course I don’t mean hate as in being nasty, but to respect the rivalry! We were just happy that we were “next up” to play our rivals, of course Glass moved out of the Western Valley In 09??? Though I don’t remember David Wilson and company playing Glass in 07 or 08? When Glass left for the Seminole... GW didn’t play them yearly. A lot has changed since then with kids in general. Social media was sorta born then but parents were still parents and had at least some control of what we did. We may not have liked the coaches but we listened and respected authority. Lastly, we had some pride about ourselves. Working with kids now (of various socioeconomic backgrounds) I see that we were probably the last of that. My point is, it’s saddening that most kids today doesn’t understand the meaning behind certain things (like the GW/Glass rivalry and of course life in general). Most won’t take time to research or even care cause they’re too caught up in Instagram drama, having a significant other, what rapper is hot or smoking that junk they smoke. That’s a good number of kids in general! This isn’t directed at any particular kids, but I just wonder how many kids that played last night actually knew the history behind GW/Glass?

Most would say the real history of GW and Glass was written long before the late 1990's or 2000's. The history is Johnny Palmer, Bo Henson, Alger Pugh, Rick Volley, Mickey Fitzgerald, Buddy Curry, Kenny Lewis and on and on through the Cornell Brown, Andre Kendrick, etc. and way too many in between to mention. It was when 9-1 was often not good enough and the Glass/GW game was a defacto playoff game because one team got the bid. The stands be it at J.T. Christopher or Lynchburg City Stadium were packed and the game and the opponent commanded attention all season long if not all year long. Both schools have sufferred in recent decades. Hopefully both can continue to rise. There was a time when everybody in the state knew the road to a title went through Lynchburg, Roanoke and Danville, not so much in recent times with the exception of the Salem Spartans.

Dont forget the Bradford years lol. Games in the 60s and 70s lynchburg stadium was standing room only.

The talent level on the field in the big showdown games in the 70's, early 80's and mid 90's was mind-boggling.

Of course, both were AAA schools then. Enrollment matters.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
The video just confirms what has been GW's challenge for the better part of the last 20 years or so. They are extremely weak on defense. The following is not meant to minimize that the Glass performance on offense was solid, not meant to discount the youth playing on D for GW or the impact that changes to rules and practice have had on defensive fundamentals(i.e., to tackle well you have to actually hit with regularity as opposed to thudding or essentially playing two hand touch). Outside of a few individuals over the years GW has not tackled well as a team for a long time, well before the current staff. GW's defensive line is fundamentally unsound. They play with poor technique and leverage, standing straight up, failing to keep the correct arm free, etc.. Just as important, they do not seem to correct/adjust which is the reason that the highlight video is largely the same play, Kendrick breaking contain, rarely touched by the defensive front and then juking and spinning through arm tackles of the back seven for a large gain or a TD. If GW is to have success against good teams and in the playoffs they have to get significantly better and more consistent on defense. The remaining schedule affords them the opportunity to work on defensive fundamentals and develop provided they recognize what true progress is as opposed to getting comfortable in the fool's gold of blowing out overmatched opponents while playing with the same weak fundamentals.

@mike salem is correct! I wasn’t born until the mid 90s lol.. We played Dunbar in Lynchburg my eighth grade year which would have been in the Fall of 2007. I still remember going down that HUGE hill to play them. The school was absolutely gorgeous, looked like a castle on the hill. We lost 12-6, no scoreboard, nothing to show how much time was left in the game or even what quarter it was. No complaining, a couple of “they cheated us” but what can you expect a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds to say when we’ve been taught since the old Danville Optimist League to hate Glass! It was serious. Of course I don’t mean hate as in being nasty, but to respect the rivalry! We were just happy that we were “next up” to play our rivals, of course Glass moved out of the Western Valley In 09??? Though I don’t remember David Wilson and company playing Glass in 07 or 08? When Glass left for the Seminole... GW didn’t play them yearly. A lot has changed since then with kids in general. Social media was sorta born then but parents were still parents and had at least some control of what we did. We may not have liked the coaches but we listened and respected authority. Lastly, we had some pride about ourselves. Working with kids now (of various socioeconomic backgrounds) I see that we were probably the last of that. My point is, it’s saddening that most kids today doesn’t understand the meaning behind certain things (like the GW/Glass rivalry and of course life in general). Most won’t take time to research or even care cause they’re too caught up in Instagram drama, having a significant other, what rapper is hot or smoking that junk they smoke. That’s a good number of kids in general! This isn’t directed at any particular kids, but I just wonder how many kids that played last night actually knew the history behind GW/Glass?
I was referring to Dunbar High School. The high school was made a junior high when integration sent the 9 thru 12 grades to Glass.

Kids don't know the weight of the rivalry because the programs have been bad. The current EC Glass roster has only been alive for ONE 10+ win season and that was last year. The kids on GW's roster have only seen fairly recent success, GW spent almost the entirety of their childhood being average and Glass has been the darkest shadow of their former selves. Rivalries depend on both schools being good to get people to care, you can't throw together two teams who can't muster a .500 record between them and expect people to care.

Salem and PC, which used to be an enormous rivalry, suffered the same fate. Doesn't matter how good Salem has been, if PC comes down at the end of the season with a 4-5 record then nobody is going to care. When both teams met in 2015 with perfect 9-0 records, there were 9-10k people in that stadium but that was a rare occasion for something that used to happen every other year when I was growing up (PC stadium was equally filled). Kids that grow up now are told it's a rivalry but they don't see anything to make it reality, if that makes sense. Their elders get fired up for the game but they just shrug because there's no excitement, no reason to hate the other team because they just ruined your perfect record or kept you out of the POs.

GW and Glass probably stand a chance of rekindling the flame but it's going to require both programs staying good for awhile and there's going to need to be some back and forth. GW needs to demolish Glass next year, maybe the year after they win on a FG based off a questionable penalty (bad calls are a great way to stoke a rivalry flame), etc.

Kids don't know the weight of the rivalry because the programs have been bad. The current EC Glass roster has only been alive for ONE 10+ win season and that was last year. The kids on GW's roster have only seen fairly recent success, GW spent almost the entirety of their childhood being average and Glass has been the darkest shadow of their former selves. Rivalries depend on both schools being good to get people to care, you can't throw together two teams who can't muster a .500 record between them and expect people to care.

Salem and PC, which used to be an enormous rivalry, suffered the same fate. Doesn't matter how good Salem has been, if PC comes down at the end of the season with a 4-5 record then nobody is going to care. When both teams met in 2015 with perfect 9-0 records, there were 9-10k people in that stadium but that was a rare occasion for something that used to happen every other year when I was growing up (PC stadium was equally filled). Kids that grow up now are told it's a rivalry but they don't see anything to make it reality, if that makes sense. Their elders get fired up for the game but they just shrug because there's no excitement, no reason to hate the other team because they just ruined your perfect record or kept you out of the POs.

GW and Glass probably stand a chance of rekindling the flame but it's going to require both programs staying good for awhile and there's going to need to be some back and forth. GW needs to demolish Glass next year, maybe the year after they win on a FG based off a questionable penalty (bad calls are a great way to stoke a rivalry flame), etc.
The GW/Glass rivalry was more about being in the same conference, district, division, etc. and competing(good or bad) for the same spots. The GW/Glass rivalry was affected/reduced much more by different divisions and different districts than either being good or bad. Competitive imbalance also affects any rivalry which as you mention is the biggest source of the recent differences between Salem and PC. In earlier years both Pulaski(Hicks" teams) and Andrew Lewis were seen as rivals by both GW and Glass but, Salem was not viewed as such until both Glass and GW dropped to Division 4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT