ADVERTISEMENT

GW vs Galax

Come on man...are you kidding me? Not only will PH keep it within 50, I bet they score more than 6... but to say that their schedule is weak is kinda funny considering what GW had this year.
Radford 8-2
Fort Chiswell 4-6
Marion 3-7
Carroll co 3-7
Auburn 5-5
Gate city 4-6
Galax 9-1
Grayson 3-7
Rural Retreat 4-6
And don’t forget bland was also supposed to be a part of that schedule. Smh
What does this have to do with GW we got destroyed today in every aspect of the game. And I'm not bragging about our schedule but since it was brought up our is better than PHs. They are the Narrows of region D they looked great all year but will be exposed when they play someone who can play with them. They haven't play a single team this year that is or was a legitimate contender. Galax will outclass them all day until they dont need to anymore just like they did us today. And if PH beats Galax then Essex or RH will make them wish they hadn't. Again not trying to start anything but its true ive literally called these types of games correctly almost every time they've happened. Yeah it may be harsh to say a 12-0 team isn't a legitimate contender but if its true then say it. No reason in acting like a nail isn't a nail when the hammer is clearly defined in the matchup. Hell take Hurley from a few seasons back all we heard was they are gonna win it all... Look at how badly they are beating teams... Look at they monster RB they have ect ect ect. But when they played a team who was half decent they lost. This PH team is the Hurley of 2019 they look amazing against sub-par comp but sadly for them Galax is 100 strokes above par. Sorry not sorry Galax by as many as they want.

PH is running the same style of offense That Riverheads is. They are trying to get more guys to the point of attack than the defense has. Alot of pulling lineman and cross action. You can watch a couple of their games from this year on Wcyb.Com

PH belongs as they have took care of the task that has been put in front of them all year. I Gaurantee you no one is looking over PH from Galax.

Look I’m not saying PH is in anyway gonna win state. Nor would I say the same about Galax. I saw firsthand how dominant the riverheads team is. I think PH plays closer with Galax than gw did today. I also think galax is gonna represent the west.
I just think PH deserves to be where they are because it really looked Like they’ve done their homework from what it looks like.
iwant.
I understand where you're coming from I do but I'm not the type who will say they deserve this or that. Im the type who will say yeah they're 12-0 and yeah they looked great all year. But who did they actually look great against that is even remotely and I mean even slightly close to a real contender? Chilhowie isn't what they've been the past few years. JIB definitely isn't what they used to be and the rest of there schedule is just terrible. I'll be the 1st to congratulate PH on a killer season but I'll also be the 1st to say it ends next week in Galax and it ends badly.

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
PH is running the same style of offense That Riverheads is. They are trying to get more guys to the point of attack than the defense has. Alot of pulling lineman and cross action. You can watch a couple of their games from this year on Wcyb.Com

PH belongs as they have took care of the task that has been put in front of them all year. I Gaurantee you no one is looking over PH from Galax.
Yes the belong because they won their region and yes they've had an amazing season to this point and they may very well win it all. And I know no one in Galax is lookimg past them but I'm telling you PH isn't going to be in this game for more than a Q. They may prove me dead wrong and if they do congrats go win it all but I just don't see what they can possibly do to make this a close game. PH is the Narrows of region D and the Hurley of 2019 not meaning to piss anyone off or to disrespect. Im just calling it the way I personally see it.

Reactions: Optimal62
2019 1A contender tier list

Elite Contender (s)
Riverheads

Top Contender (s)
Galax
Essex
Sussex

Pretenders
GW
Narrows
PH
JIB
Auburn
Chilhowie
K&Q
Rapp
CB

Everyone else...

Imo if PH wins it will be because Galax gave it away. 4+ turnovers, 150+ in penalties ect ect ect but anyone who has seen Galax knows they dont do those things. And if they do its fixed quickly and without question. No team in region C or D is in the same league as Galax this year. PH looks great against region D teams but region D is basically the hogo which is terrible always has been always will be. Imo Galax will win easily and if they do get beat and thats a massive if then Essex vs RH is the true state title game. 99% of us said it would be RH vs Galax in Salem at the beginning of the year and I still think it will be. Galax-63 PH-14
RH-49 Essex-14

Why do you keep saying C is better than D? It's really not except at the very top with Galax. PH, Chilhowie, JIB, are as good as GW, Narrows, Auburn, etc..

Dang right...you nailed it. That was my point to posting the weak schedule GW plays. Yes, don’t get me wrong they have some good athletes and a better coach than most in swva. But yet still when someone goes farther than them it’s cause their coach sucks, or because the other team plays in the hogo.
Your not gonna get em to see this. There might really be something to those maroon glasses that affect the memory. Same people that brag that they have not had a losing season in almost 30 years seem to forget THEY hid in the hogo for most of those years.

Region C has always been better than D just look at the past history. And no GW definitely does not have one of the best coaches in this area. I have a story from the Galax game this week I wont share about him but he more than likely coached his last game at GW.

Region C has always been better than D just look at the past history. And no GW definitely does not have one of the best coaches in this area. I have a story from the Galax game this week I wont share about him but he more than likely coached his last game at GW.

Oh jeez......

The way it sounds it doesn't matter who coaches Wythe. They will lose and the same mantra for the last 10+ years will come into play......

1). We have the best talent.....

2). The coach doesn't know what he's doing.....

3). These kids haven't lost in their entire life....so it has to be the coach.....

Same thing....different coach......

*Yawn*

Lets look at past history. From 1970-2018, Region D failed to reach the state finals in Class 1/Group A Division 1 a total of 16 times.........in 49 seasons!

In contrast, Region C only reached the state finals 15 times in that same span!

And these figures don't even factor in Group A Division 2 that was dominated by Gate City and Powel Valley for two decades! But please tell us more about how Region C has always been better than Region D!!!!!

Lets look at past history. From 1970-2018, Region D failed to reach the state finals in Class 1/Group A Division 1 a total of 16 times.........in 49 seasons!

In contrast, Region C only reached the state finals 15 times in that same span!

And these figures don't even factor in Group A Division 2 that was dominated by Gate City and Powel Valley for two decades! But please tell us more about how Region C has always been better than Region D!!!!!
I'm talking terms of actual title wins yes Powell valley and GC dominated. But in terms of 1A C has dominated out of C and D.

Oh jeez......

The way it sounds it doesn't matter who coaches Wythe. They will lose and the same mantra for the last 10+ years will come into play......

1). We have the best talent.....

2). The coach doesn't know what he's doing.....

3). These kids haven't lost in their entire life....so it has to be the coach.....

Same thing....different coach......

*Yawn*
No not the case cause no one with any sense complained about Pruitt or HS. They new how to coach and they knew how to connect with the kids. Like I said in a previous post I have a story from the last Galax game about him I'll keep to myself. But he may have coached his last game once it makes it way around. The parents and kids are done with this fool.

[QUOTE="The parents and kids are done with this fool.[/QUOTE]

What an easy escape.......

The rhetoric being spewed in Wytheville is toxic for kids to listen to and be apart of.

Best of luck in the offseason to the Maroons!

Not to feed that fire but I have to. Is the AD done with him? If he isn't then it may be wishful thinking again. I mean the team did make it to the regional final which most every team would say was a good season. I know its win or bust in Wytheville but a realist would say that's a fine season.

The AD has no issue with him. He’s done everything that coach Beamer(the AD) has ask of him. He’s been mr Beamers puppet this whole time. I doubt they get rid of him. Plus Harners stats speak volumes.

I'm talking terms of actual title wins yes Powell valley and GC dominated. But in terms of 1A C has dominated out of C and D.

In recent years following consolidation of traditional Region D powers, maybe. But Region D has 31 state championships since 1970. Region C has a little more than half that total over the same period.

In recent years following consolidation of traditional Region D powers, maybe. But Region D has 31 state championships since 1970. Region C has a little more than half that total over the same period.
Not sure how far back the OP was referencing, although alot of the top tier region C teams currently in 1A was 2a during that time period as well.

Um, Appalachia won how many titles?

I'll answer it: six titles since 1970, played in eight state title games. How many other 1A schools have that many titles and appearances?

in recent memory, sure 1C has had more state champions, two of the more successful 1A schools in D closed in Clintwood (beat Galax for a state title in 2011, played in two more 1A title games after 2004) and Appalachia.
But Chilhowie played in the title game two years in a row, since 2010 1C has two titles whereas 1D has one.

Last edited:
Reactions: sixcat
Not sure how far back the OP was referencing, although alot of the top tier region C teams currently in 1A was 2a during that time period as well.

Since 2010, Region C has two state titles, Region D has one. Two of Region D's most successful 1A schools are no more as well.

Coach Harner will be back at GW if he chooses to.

Um, Appalachia won how many titles?

I'll answer it: six titles since 1970, played in eight state title games. How many other 1A schools have that many titles and appearances?

in recent memory, sure 1C has had more state champions, two of the more successful 1A schools in D closed in Clintwood (beat Galax for a state title in 2011, played in two more 1A title games after 2004) and Appalachia.
But Chilhowie played in the title game two years in a row, since 2010 1C has two titles whereas 1D has one.
Riverheads has played in 7 and won 6 since 2000.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Riverheads has played in 7 and won 6 since 2000.

That's true, so one off hand. But they aren't a Region C or D team. They will likely pass Appalachia this year. But are they the only other 1A team with six titles?

Old school 1A was dominated by Region D. From 1970-2000, Region D produced 15 state titles, basically every two years a D team won the title (Appalachia 6, Clintwood 3, Burton 1, Chilhowie 1, JJ Kelly 1, Powell Valley 2, Jonesville 1). Powell Valley moved to D2 in 1986 or you could include six more titles.
Since 2000, only one D team has a title but several played for one.

Coach Harner will be back at GW if he chooses to.
Its very possible that he is but I can tell you he wont have many kids to coach if he does. There are a very high number of parents and kids trying to get a meeting with the right people to get him out. And I have been told by a lot of people they will move to another school if is back. Y'all can believe me or not its nothing to me either way but I'm telling you his days arw numbered either way. He either wont be at GW or he wont have a team to coach. Idc which happens I dont have a dog in the fight other than my fandom of GW. But if my track record of knowing whats going on behind the scenes of GW is of any count to you then listen to this one. The revolt is well in motion at GW.

Since 2010, Region C has two state titles, Region D has one. Two of Region D's most successful 1A schools are no more as well.
Thats my whole point the old region D is gone. The schools either dont exists anymore or they have consolidated into bigger teams. I wasn't evem alive to see hs football before 1990 so I cant speak on it before then. Im strictly talking about in the past 19 years. And even more specifically the past 10 years. No one can deny that the current form of region D is significantly weaker than the current region C.

[QUOTE="The parents and kids are done with this fool.

What an easy escape.......

The rhetoric being spewed in Wytheville is toxic for kids to listen to and be apart of.

Best of luck in the offseason to the Maroons![/QUOTE]
Man im not the one who plays for him so I'm not the one who is starting this "toxic" rhetoric as you call it. The kids arent being fed anything they are the ones feeding it to us. I just happen to know majority of the families of these kids and the kids themselves. So believe me when I tell you im only a voice in the crowd but the real problem is in his own locker room. His players are the ones who cant stand him and before it is said no its not kids who dont play its the ones who start and play alot. And you can say what you want about the parents and kids being pissy. But if your child was willing to quit a game they have loved since childhood all because they cant stand 1 person involved you back them to. The kids are sick of his bs and so are the parents and they are both finally ready for a change. And one last thing if you think it'll be impossible for the kids and parents to get him out go ask HS Ingo what 1 pissed of parent is capable of at GW. This guy has a whole team of pissed of kids and parent's after him.

Thats my whole point the old region D is gone. The schools either dont exists anymore or they have consolidated into bigger teams. I wasn't evem alive to see hs football before 1990 so I cant speak on it before then. Im strictly talking about in the past 19 years. And even more specifically the past 10 years. No one can deny that the current form of region D is significantly weaker than the current region C.
Yes they can, JFC I've proven it! Current Region D has played in the last two title games, beating the top C team to get there.
In the past 19 years, 1C has two titles, 1D has one. Significantly weaker is a dramatic overstatement.

Not to feed that fire but I have to. Is the AD done with him? If he isn't then it may be wishful thinking again. I mean the team did make it to the regional final which most every team would say was a good season. I know its win or bust in Wytheville but a realist would say that's a fine season.
I agree we had a fine season in Wytheville no doubt. But please believe me as someone who has been around this program from birth people dont want him out because he hasnt won titles. People want him out because they are sick of thier kids coming home in tears because they dont want to quit a game they love but they also cant stand the coach they have to play for. These kids aren't weak, they aren't crybabies, they don't have to have it their way, and the don't scream me me me. They are all good kids who bust ass for GWs program but they are sick of what they have to deal with. And for anyone who wants to say Idk what im talking about I told everyone that Jason Jones an all state linemen wouldn't play his sr year if harner was still at GW and he didn't. Everyone said bs he'll play thats just talk well I was right he didn't play. Same thing for EJ Horton I was told by him and his dad he would never wear Maroon again if Harner wasn't gone ans he didn't he went to Pulaski. I know whats going on and I'm not afraid to tell it.

And yes our AD likes him but the AD can't fight 30 pissed off parents and just as many kids and a whole town of mad fans. HS Ingo won a state title in his 3rd season and was gone because he pissed off 1 mother. Yeah I know he was made out to be an evil person because of what happened but he wasn't. The kids loved HS but 1 mother of a kid who rode the bench went off he was out quickly. Im telling you there is a meeting being planed to address this whole thing and it could get ugly. GW isn't going to see it biggest money maker die to keep 1 guy employed. No kids equals no gate, no gate equals no revenue and in Wytheville $$$ is KING!!! Ask around if you dont believe me.

Yes they can, JFC I've proven it! Current Region D has played in the last two title games, beating the top C team to get there.
In the past 19 years, 1C has two titles, 1D has one. Significantly weaker is a dramatic overstatement.
So would you honestly say that other than the #1 team in region D (chilhowie/PH) that D is just as strong from top to bottom as C? Yeah GW got destroyed by Galax but JIB couldn't be GW this year, Holston couldn't, Chilhowie couldn't this year. PH probably could but beating GW is a very different thing from beating Galax lol. My whole point on this is based on my opinion of the upcoming semifinal game of PH vs Galax. And my opinion is Galax wins by 5+ tds and they do it easily and if im wrong and PH does win then they will quickly regret that. RH will dismantle them from go and will probably do that to whoever they play for the rest of thw 2019 season.

Horton left not because of the coach. Same reason Nowers didn’t play. They didn’t play for other reasons. Mostly not getting along with a specific player.
And I’m definitely calling bs on the Ingo thing. Ingo wasn’t outed by ONE parent. For Christ sakes the man hazed children. They had to let him go cause it was the morally right thing to do.
Like I said in earlier post harner has done everything the way that the AD has wanted and for that he has paid his dues. As long as he hasn’t physically hurt one of the players he’ll be fine. I don’t see a coach being outed because he hurt someone’s feelings.
And if that is the reason than shame on the parents for letting the kids try to dictate the future of the program.

Last edited:
Horton left not because of the coach. Same reason Nowers didn’t play. They didn’t play for other reasons. Mostly not getting along with a specific player.
And I’m definitely calling bs on the Ingo thing. Ingo was outed by ONE parent. For Christ sakes the man hazed children. They had to let him go cause it was the morally right thing to do.
Yeah they did have problems with a kid and yes that played into them leaving. But the coach was also a big reason the kids themselves told me flat out no words mixed. And yes he was let go because of hazing of 1 kid not multiple I was in the families living room the night that kid came home and told the family. I was also there the night the phone call was made threatening a lawsuit over it. I watched the whole thing unfold from day 1 I was there they day that mother said and i quote " That mf will pay for this im gonna have his job or I'll close the GD school with my lawyer". And just for those who don't know HS was fired for "hazing" a kid who played football for GW wore a FC shirt to the FC vs GW basketball game and he was setting on the FC side cheering for FC. So he was made to wear about 50lbs of dog chains and run the hill at GW for a good while. It was 1 kid not multiple kids and that was nothing compared to some of the stuff we had to do when I played just a few years before. Or even things we had done to us idk how many of us had broken noses for taking our helmets off and getting hit in the face with football's for it. The HS thing is something I know very well I was with the family from go and saw the whole ugly thing.

Last edited:
I agree we had a fine season in Wytheville no doubt. But please believe me as someone who has been around this program from birth people dont want him out because he hasnt won titles. People want him out because they are sick of thier kids coming home in tears because they dont want to quit a game they love but they also cant stand the coach they have to play for. These kids aren't weak, they aren't crybabies, they don't have to have it their way, and the don't scream me me me. They are all good kids who bust ass for GWs program but they are sick of what they have to deal with. And for anyone who wants to say Idk what im talking about I told everyone that Jason Jones an all state linemen wouldn't play his sr year if harner was still at GW and he didn't. Everyone said bs he'll play thats just talk well I was right he didn't play. Same thing for EJ Horton I was told by him and his dad he would never wear Maroon again if Harner wasn't gone ans he didn't he went to Pulaski. I know whats going on and I'm not afraid to tell it.

And yes our AD likes him but the AD can't fight 30 pissed off parents and just as many kids and a whole town of mad fans. HS Ingo won a state title in his 3rd season and was gone because he pissed off 1 mother. Yeah I know he was made out to be an evil person because of what happened but he wasn't. The kids loved HS but 1 mother of a kid who rode the bench went off he was out quickly. Im telling you there is a meeting being planed to address this whole thing and it could get ugly. GW isn't going to see it biggest money maker die to keep 1 guy employed. No kids equals no gate, no gate equals no revenue and in Wytheville $$$ is KING!!! Ask around if you dont believe me.
For those kids that dont want to play for GW tell them to come up to exit 213 on 81 we will be glad to have them. LOL

Just so that you know I’m an Ingo fan. I still see him out there helping the youth league quite a bit. But seriously it’s more than ONE parent. That was one incident but you have to admit the man would have and probably did have many threats from the community. I like the guy but they had to let him go.
I’m glad you see and agree why a couple of those players didn’t play for GW their senior yr. but you know as well as I do Harner just came into the program that was loaded with some talent. He also got the drama that came along with it. Those kids were good athletes and tired of being in the shadow.

WYTHEVILLE — George Wythe High School head football coach H.S. Ingo, 47, has been charged with hazing and subjecting a student to corporal punishment in connection with an incident at the end of January involving an 11th-grade football player.

Both charges are misdemeanors and will be heard in the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court of Wythe County. The Wythe County School Board has called a special meeting for Wednesday to discuss personnel matters regarding two employees.

Initially, a second coach, Adam Hughes, was named in the accusations; however, Vaught said in a news release “that no charges have been issued in regard to any other person.”

Both coaches were suspended with pay until the investigation concluded.

Grayson County Commonwealth’s Attorney Douglas Vaught announced the charges Friday afternoon. Vaught was appointed as a special prosecutor in the case after Wythe County Commonwealth’s Attorney Gerald Mabe withdrew from the case. Mabe’s wife, Leslie, is the music teacher at Spiller Elementary School. Her principal, Kim Ingo, is the wife of the head coach.

A source close to the situation told the Wytheville Enterprise that the charges stem from actions after a George Wythe and Fort Chiswell basketball game on Jan. 30 at Fort Chiswell High School. A football player with ties to the Fort Chiswell area sat on the Fort Chiswell side, clapping and cheering with his friends.

The next day, in the George Wythe weight room, the coach lectured the player in front of several of his teammates and told him that if he wanted to be a team player and leader, there were consequences for his actions.

The source said the coach called it punishment and told the player he could transfer to Fort Chiswell if that was what he wanted.

The source said the coach made the player walk around the football field area wearing chains across his chest in an “X” while carrying 50-pound weights in each hand. The player, who weighs about 140 pounds, had to walk around the field and do squats every time one of the coaches blew a whistle. When the player reached the visitors side of the field, he had to go up and down the bleachers, still performing squats when a whistle blew, the source said.

The source said that the backs of the player’s legs were raw from where the weights rubbed against them as he walked and did squats.

News of the investigation surfaced on Feb. 6, when Mabe’s office announced that it was referring the matter to the Virginia State Police because the investigation involved some minors who are closely related to employees of the Wythe County Sheriff’s Office. The Smyth County Department of Social Services also investigated the case.

Soon after news of the investigation broke, the football player involved in the investigation posted a note on his Facebook page saying that a parent had witnessed whatever happened to him and reported it to authorities.

“In all honesty, I respect and love my coaches,” he wrote. “It wasn’t right, but it’s not as serious as it has been said to be.”

School officials have declined to comment on the matter.

Just so that you know I’m an Ingo fan. I still see him out there helping the youth league quite a bit. But seriously it’s more than ONE parent. That was one incident but you have to admit the man would have and probably did have many threats from the community. I like the guy but they had to let him go.
I’m glad you see and agree why a couple of those players didn’t play for GW their senior yr. but you know as well as I do Harner just came into the program that was loaded with some talent. He also got the drama that came along with it. Those kids were good athletes and tired of being in the shadow.
I'm a huge Ingo fan would love to still have him. And man I swear it was 1 mother she was the reason HS was asked to resign. She made it clear that she would go to the press with stuff she knew about the GW program that would've ended everything at that time. There were lawsuits and a ton of other things thrown at them over this. The kid involved really didn't mind and wasn't mad it was his mom who shut it down.

WYTHEVILLE — George Wythe High School head football coach H.S. Ingo, 47, has been charged with hazing and subjecting a student to corporal punishment in connection with an incident at the end of January involving an 11th-grade football player.

Both charges are misdemeanors and will be heard in the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court of Wythe County. The Wythe County School Board has called a special meeting for Wednesday to discuss personnel matters regarding two employees.

Initially, a second coach, Adam Hughes, was named in the accusations; however, Vaught said in a news release “that no charges have been issued in regard to any other person.”

Both coaches were suspended with pay until the investigation concluded.

Grayson County Commonwealth’s Attorney Douglas Vaught announced the charges Friday afternoon. Vaught was appointed as a special prosecutor in the case after Wythe County Commonwealth’s Attorney Gerald Mabe withdrew from the case. Mabe’s wife, Leslie, is the music teacher at Spiller Elementary School. Her principal, Kim Ingo, is the wife of the head coach.

A source close to the situation told the Wytheville Enterprise that the charges stem from actions after a George Wythe and Fort Chiswell basketball game on Jan. 30 at Fort Chiswell High School. A football player with ties to the Fort Chiswell area sat on the Fort Chiswell side, clapping and cheering with his friends.

The next day, in the George Wythe weight room, the coach lectured the player in front of several of his teammates and told him that if he wanted to be a team player and leader, there were consequences for his actions.

The source said the coach called it punishment and told the player he could transfer to Fort Chiswell if that was what he wanted.

The source said the coach made the player walk around the football field area wearing chains across his chest in an “X” while carrying 50-pound weights in each hand. The player, who weighs about 140 pounds, had to walk around the field and do squats every time one of the coaches blew a whistle. When the player reached the visitors side of the field, he had to go up and down the bleachers, still performing squats when a whistle blew, the source said.

The source said that the backs of the player’s legs were raw from where the weights rubbed against them as he walked and did squats.

News of the investigation surfaced on Feb. 6, when Mabe’s office announced that it was referring the matter to the Virginia State Police because the investigation involved some minors who are closely related to employees of the Wythe County Sheriff’s Office. The Smyth County Department of Social Services also investigated the case.

Soon after news of the investigation broke, the football player involved in the investigation posted a note on his Facebook page saying that a parent had witnessed whatever happened to him and reported it to authorities.

“In all honesty, I respect and love my coaches,” he wrote. “It wasn’t right, but it’s not as serious as it has been said to be.”

School officials have declined to comment on the matter.
Wow! Thats actually the 1st time I heard this. Sounds like he just had that “ Old School “ mentality. Cant do that kind of stuff anymore and I think thats whats wrong with society today. Thanks for shedding light on the matter.

Well mom had a right to be mad. I mean they kid had a cousin playing for FC basketball team and multiple friends that went there. Is it a crime to cheer for your family? It was handled poorly. Not the way you would expect a coach to act. Mr Ingo is a good man and has done a lot for the kids before and after. He still gets flack about it. I think he definitely had a lapse in judgment over the situation. I don’t think he would have aloud the program to use him as a puppet had he not been forced to step down. Harner came to the program eager to cut his teeth and had to do what he was told when he first got there. I just wish people would get with the COACH because your right the program is and will suffer if something doesn’t change

ADVERTISEMENT