ADVERTISEMENT

GW vs Galax

Wow! Thats actually the 1st time I heard this. Sounds like he just had that “ Old School “ mentality. Cant do that kind of stuff anymore and I think thats whats wrong with society today. Thanks for shedding light on the matter.
No problem and yes he was the kids were held accountable for their mistakes. I literally never once complained about HS. So everyone who says I always piss and moan about coaching it's simply not true. I complain about 1 coach and thats Harner and him only.

Last edited:
And the player not only had to where those kettle balls on the field. The whole thing blew up when a teacher asked him to take them off during her class. He told her that the coach was making him where em all day. Wasn’t just at practice...

Not sure how far back the OP was referencing, although alot of the top tier region C teams currently in 1A was 2a during that time period as well.

As I said, Region D has 31 state championships since 1970. That’s Class 1, Class 2, A-D1, A-D2, A and AA combined. RegionC has slightly more than half that total in the same classifications, during the same time frame. It’s an apples to apples comparison.

Anyone suggesting Region C has always been better than Region D is foolish!

No problem and yes he was the kids were held accountable for their mistakes. I literally never once complained about HS. So everyone say I always piss and moan about coaching it's simply not true. I complain about 1 coach and thats Harner and him only.
I’ve been trying to tell you for 3 years...it’s not Harners fault this stuff has happened. He’s not the real reason the kids quit or left. I’ve meantioned several times he is a PUPPET. It’s not meant to be disrespectful. Its that those above him are controlling things. I mean dang man who would want to even be in that situation. If people would give him a chance to take the reins it could be a good thing

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Well mom had a right to be mad. I mean they kid had a cousin playing for FC basketball team and multiple friends that went there. Is it a crime to cheer for your family? It was handled poorly. Not the way you would expect a coach to act. Mr Ingo is a good man and has done a lot for the kids before and after. He still gets flack about it. I think he definitely had a lapse in judgment over the situation. I don’t think he would have aloud the program to use him as a puppet had he not been forced to step down. Harner came to the program eager to cut his teeth and had to do what he was told when he first got there. I just wish people would get with the COACH because your right the program is and will suffer if something doesn’t change
I don't disagree that it was a terrible way to deal with the situation. But thats GW football culture FC and RR are bad words and any support sent their way is bad. And for ths longest time we were punished for even talking to kids from either school. We couldn't date FC or RR girls it was bad for a while but it was left alone. Now with todays PC culture that was WAY over the line and he was made an example of. HS is a great guy he loves his community and will do anything to help the kids.

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
I be been trying to tell you for 3 years...it’s not Harners fault this stuff has happened. He’s not the real reason the kids quit or left. I’ve meantioned several times he is a PUPPET. It’s not meant to be disrespectful. Its that those above him are controlling things. I mean dang man who would want to even be in that situation. If people would give him a chance to take the reins it could be a good thing
Trust me man I know he is a puppet and the big ups are pulling the strings. But he also does stuff that is unacceptable what I was told by a parent and their child about this last game is just to far. And it wasn't just 1 kid who saw it or heard it the whole team did and it made it's way to the parents very quickly. I'm not joking unless he is willing to change dramatically over the off-season he has coached his last game.

Blaster, how can you say Ingo’s dismissal was a result of “PC culture”, but take issue with whatever happened with Harner?

I had some WP assistant coaches growing up (97-02) who said and did some stuff that was WAY over the line & I came out alright. That doesn’t make that stuff right, though! The end doesn’t always justify the means. “Old-School” is often used as a phrase to describe stupid people doing things that are just plain WRONG!

Blaster, how can you say Ingo’s dismissal was a result of “PC culture”, but take issue with whatever happened with Harner?

I had some WP assistant coaches growing up (97-02) who said and did some stuff that was WAY over the line & I came out alright. That doesn’t make that stuff right, though! The end doesn’t always justify the means. “Old-School” is often used as a phrase to describe stupid people doing things that are just plain WRONG!
Let me rephrase Harner did absolutely nothing that was in any way like what HS did. He didn't cuss kids or anything like that in Galax. It is more so what he didn't do amd what he was doing during halftime. But again he did nothing along the lines of hazing or anything even close.

Accountability and team first is a staple of “old school”. How you get there is what separates those that know what the hell they are doing and jackasses that read a book about coaching and leadership. I will give you a few examples of coach Casto talking to a group of coaches for youth baseball. He made a few statements that stood out to me. One, remember these athletes you are coaching are someone’s child and by definition one of the most important people in their life so be respectful and expect respect. Be the example for the things you expect of your athletes. Secondly when doing drills and thinking of punishing an underperforming player, does the action you impose on that athlete reenforce the behavior and correct fundamental that you want to be the outcome? Does the drill have anything to do with making them more proficient at the sport they are performing or will it just make you feel like they will learn their lesson and listen next time?

The days of breaking someone’s spirit to build them up is long past if it ever was a real approach. That is not what the truly great coaches ever did anyway. Perception is reality but arguably the best pure basketball coach was Wooden and he was a stickler on details but didn’t demean his athletes to get performance. Repetition and pursuit of perfection in the details. Just my .02 anyway.

You say what he didn’t do??? I know your wanting someone to ask specifically what it was. I’m not gonna do that cause it’s probably petty. What was it that parents expected him to do? I mean your down 45-0 at half time. 4 fumbles, three lost and an interception. Was he supposed to give out hugs? The parents need to give that man a break/chance to coach.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Accountability and team first is a staple of “old school”. How you get there is what separates those that know what the hell they are doing and jackasses that read a book about coaching and leadership. I will give you a few examples of coach Casto talking to a group of coaches for youth baseball. He made a few statements that stood out to me. One, remember these athletes you are coaching are someone’s child and by definition one of the most important people in their life so be respectful and expect respect. Be the example for the things you expect of your athletes. Secondly when doing drills and thinking of punishing an underperforming player, does the action you impose on that athlete reenforce the behavior and correct fundamental that you want to be the outcome? Does the drill have anything to do with making them more proficient at the sport they are performing or will it just make you feel like they will learn their lesson and listen next time?

The days of breaking someone’s spirit to build them up is long past if it ever was a real approach. That is not what the truly great coaches ever did anyway. Perception is reality but arguably the best pure basketball coach was Wooden and he was a stickler on details but didn’t demean his athletes to get performance. Repetition and pursuit of perfection in the details. Just my .02 anyway.

I honestly believe that some kids need to be “broken” of bad habits (without going overboard), but otherwise I completely agree with your post.There’s teachers/educators/coaches of the game & there’s wannabe tough guys who want to re-live their “glory years”. I’ll take the first every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Doesn’t mean you can’t be tough and a disciplinarian, but you need to be a real teacher of the game in order for the discipline to be valuable.

The coach doing that to a kid deserved what he got ,especially in a community as small as wythe county. Where family and friends are spread across both schools.
If Harner is truly a problem it will show it participation. From the outside looking in , he beat a 2a play off school and only lost to a 2a Radford and got defeated twice by Galax . Which Galax would beat a lot of teams this year. So he certainly wont get pressure on that aspect of records. It wasn’t just coaching ,as Galax held one of the top receivers in the state to zero catches. You don’t do that with out talent on then other side of the field. Although haha you can tell he reads this board by the comments he made after the game ,that he had the players in position and they just didn’t make the plays.

As far the poster who stated that region D had twice as many state titles as c in both categories means D is better - um no it doesn’t. It. Means that D had more teams to win state and that’s it. In no way does it mean it was better collectively as a whole and they same should be said for C. Clemson won the National championship last year and could very well again this year , but are you going to say that the ACC this year is better than the SEC. Cmon man ,really.

Ph belongs because they beat the top teams in D to get there. That’s why the games are played . You just hope the best team wins without the refs screwing the outcome up.

River heads is head and shoulders above everyone in 1A ,they destroyed a 2a team that was 9-1 and still playing in semis.

And can we all finally agree after the two GW/ galax games that the RB from Galax is not afraid of hitting anyone!

Let me rephrase Harner did absolutely nothing that was in any way like what HS did. He didn't cuss kids or anything like that in Galax. It is more so what he didn't do amd what he was doing during halftime. But again he did nothing along the lines of hazing or anything even close.
Is it because he took the team to the endzone at halftime instead of going all the way up the hill to the locker room or to the bus???? They did go to the bus with about 5 minutes left in halftime.

Is it because he took the team to the endzone at halftime instead of going all the way up the hill to the locker room or to the bus???? They did go to the bus with about 5 minutes left in halftime.
No its absolutely not because of that. Like I said this one I'm gonna keep to myself but believe me it was enough to piss off a out all the parents.

You say what he didn’t do??? I know your wanting someone to ask specifically what it was. I’m not gonna do that cause it’s probably petty. What was it that parents expected him to do? I mean your down 45-0 at half time. 4 fumbles, three lost and an interception. Was he supposed to give out hugs? The parents need to give that man a break/chance to coach.
I'll talk about anything else but this is one im not outing it'll make its way around but im not the one who is gonna help it.

The coach doing that to a kid deserved what he got ,especially in a community as small as wythe county. Where family and friends are spread across both schools.
If Harner is truly a problem it will show it participation. From the outside looking in , he beat a 2a play off school and only lost to a 2a Radford and got defeated twice by Galax . Which Galax would beat a lot of teams this year. So he certainly wont get pressure on that aspect of records. It wasn’t just coaching ,as Galax held one of the top receivers in the state to zero catches. You don’t do that with out talent on then other side of the field. Although haha you can tell he reads this board by the comments he made after the game ,that he had the players in position and they just didn’t make the plays.

As far the poster who stated that region D had twice as many state titles as c in both categories means D is better - um no it doesn’t. It. Means that D had more teams to win state and that’s it. In no way does it mean it was better collectively as a whole and they same should be said for C. Clemson won the National championship last year and could very well again this year , but are you going to say that the ACC this year is better than the SEC. Cmon man ,really.

Ph belongs because they beat the top teams in D to get there. That’s why the games are played . You just hope the best team wins without the refs screwing the outcome up.

River heads is head and shoulders above everyone in 1A ,they destroyed a 2a team that was 9-1 and still playing in semis.

And can we all finally agree after the two GW/ galax games that the RB from Galax is not afraid of hitting anyone!
I'll be the 1st to say the true problem with him isn't his record. It is a much more internal problem with the team. 2 Galax was simply the better team this year I can prove where I said they were a week before we played the second game. I also picked the score of that game pretty close to what it actually was. And for me Denver Brown is one of the best backs around I was mad when he left GW and I'm still salty about it haha.

Region D failed to reach the state finals 16 times in 49 seasons while Region C only reached the state finals 15 times in that same span. But please, keep telling us how Region C is the SEC while Region D is Clemson!

I'll be the 1st to say the true problem with him isn't his record. It is a much more internal problem with the team. 2 Galax was simply the better team this year I can prove where I said they were a week before we played the second game. I also picked the score of that game pretty close to what it actually was. And for me Denver Brown is one of the best backs around I was mad when he left GW and I'm still salty about it haha.
You have never said anything bad about brown. You haven’t. But if there is in fact supposed to be some sort of meeting, is it gonna be open to everyone. Just wondering cause it’s not right if Harner isn’t there to defend himself. Hell I’d like to be there for that one...

Region D failed to reach the state finals 16 times in 49 seasons while Region C only reached the state finals 15 times in that same span. But please, keep telling us how Region C is the SEC while Region D is Clemson!

I could care less about which region is better. But he has a point. In my opinion you cannot say region x is better than region y because of the number of state championships. A person would have to take a holistic look at the body of work of all the teams in the region.
For example Riverheads, they have absolutely dominated 1a since 2016. Although I don't think they would say that their region is the best in the state as a whole by any means during that time period, especially before this year's realignment . Correct me if I am wrong Riverheads fans. Again it's just my opinion.

I could care less about which region is better. But he has a point. In my opinion you cannot say region x is better than region y because of the number of state championships. A person would have to take a holistic look at the body of work of all the teams in the region.
For example Riverheads, they have absolutely dominated 1a since 2016. Although I don't think they would say that their region is the best in the state as a whole by any means during that time period, especially before this year's realignment . Correct me if I am wrong Riverheads fans. Again it's just my opinion.
Agree 1 team doesnt define a region.

Blasters original message said "Region C has always been better than D, just look at past history." The very first sentence of the post! Would that be a "holistic look at the body of work of all the teams in the region" or would that be someone making outlandish claims they can't back up with fact?

For most of the past 40 years, Region D has met Region C to see who advances to the state championship game. Region D holds a 33-15 record in those meetings! Success is measured in wins and losses so, that's proof enough for me.

The VHSL Book of Records only shows the teams that reach the state finals every season. Everybody else was playing basketball!

Blasters original message said "Region C has always been better than D, just look at past history." The very first sentence of the post! Would that be a "holistic look at the body of work of all the teams in the region" or would that be someone making outlandish claims they can't back up with fact?

For most of the past 40 years, Region D has met Region C to see who advances to the state championship game. Region D holds a 33-15 record in those meetings! Success is measured in wins and losses so, that's proof enough for me.

The VHSL Book of Records only shows the teams that reach the state finals every season. Everybody else was playing basketball!

I don't agree with his statement either. Could it be said this year or the past couple? MAYBE /MAYBE NOT. He may have been just making outlandish claims with that is just his perception - that seem outlandish. Did he look at the whole body of work since 1970? Doubtful. Although thats not my point and never was, I was referring to the other post.

If a person wants to go four seasons which has that data then they can take a holistic look at the data and make that claim so be it. You said success is measured in wins and loses so that would mean you would have to take a look at the whole body of teams. Me myself I could care less.

Although saying that region x is holistically better than region Y because X has won more state Championships than Y. Then that's simply a claim as well.

Again I am not disagreeing with you that D is better than C, don't know, don't care. I am just stating that I don't think one team success equates to a regions. Just stating my humble opinion.

Last edited:
After reading through this, the fact that you guys give Blaster the time of day when it comes to anything regarding football is comical. He claims to have all this inside knowledge, claims to know a majority of the families, makes outlandish claims of Region C's dominance over Region D, and then has the audacity to make statements like "I just tell the truth" is absolutely hysterical.

The guy literally watches GW games through such a bias view nothing he states can be fully true. He lost validity in my book a long time ago and I thought most people with an IQ over a potato could see his outlandish comments when he came on here not once but twice wanting to discuss coaching problems when Wythe was BEAT DOWN not once but TWICE by Galax by a combined score of 97-20. I hope the majority of Preps can see through his comical rants.

Remember people.....just because he lives in Wytheville/Wytheville area doesn't mean he knows anything about the issues that go on at GW. Just because he runs to a message board and tries to diagnosis the issues at GW doesn't mean he's "telling the truth".

I hope that it’s ok that I met him and whether I believe everything he says or not that I can be friendly. I could care less whether Harner is there or whether they lure Dixon away with a castle of his choosing. It’s a message board not a court of law. I promise there are others misleading people on here just maybe not as flamboyant and over the top. Let the man bang his drum and see the world as he wants, it truly isn't hurting anyone is it?

After reading through this, the fact that you guys give Blaster the time of day when it comes to anything regarding football is comical. He claims to have all this inside knowledge, claims to know a majority of the families, makes outlandish claims of Region C's dominance over Region D, and then has the audacity to make statements like "I just tell the truth" is absolutely hysterical.

The guy literally watches GW games through such a bias view nothing he states can be fully true. He lost validity in my book a long time ago and I thought most people with an IQ over a potato could see his outlandish comments when he came on here not once but twice wanting to discuss coaching problems when Wythe was BEAT DOWN not once but TWICE by Galax by a combined score of 97-20. I hope the majority of Preps can see through his comical rants.

Remember people.....just because he lives in Wytheville/Wytheville area doesn't mean he knows anything about the issues that go on at GW. Just because he runs to a message board and tries to diagnosis the issues at GW doesn't mean he's "telling the truth".
Message boards are entertainment. Whether anyone agrees , disagrees, or just dont care what another posts we have this great technology, our thumb , and we can just scroll along.

You have never said anything bad about brown. You haven’t. But if there is in fact supposed to be some sort of meeting, is it gonna be open to everyone. Just wondering cause it’s not right if Harner isn’t there to defend himself. Hell I’d like to be there for that one...
He'll be there when it happens everyone deserves a chance to speak their part. And as far as it being open to the public I don't if the people trying to set it up will ask for it to be or not. And as far as Denver goes I'd love to still have him the kid is one hell of a ball player.

Nah i don't have any knowledge of what happens in Wytheville. You're absolutely right hahahahaha. You're an idiot man I have time and time again proven my self to know exactly what I'm talking about. I've also proven on more times than you've even posted to have an inside track to GW. Love me or Hate me I don't care I really don't my track record of knowing what I'm talking about and backing it up is well established with the posters of VA Preps. So say what you want to about me go for it but you just like everyone else who has come at me sideways on this forum will be made to look the fool. Get your facts straight about what I really do know about GW and what is BS because I promise I can prove everything I say. Can you?

Reactions: mmqp
what stats?
Well if you include playoff games he’s had 55 wins in 6 years. Only 21 loses. 6 of those loses were season ending in the playoffs. Which btw he has coached 17 playoff games in 6 years. That nothing to sneeze at! I get it you guys don’t like the man. But that’s ok. everyone wants to sit back and be the armchair coach. Most 1a schools around swva would love to have him.
The point is you guys want some kind of Bill Belicheck and that’s just not in the cards. Even if you did have him half the people would still find something to complain about.
So blaster has told us already why he doesn’t want Harner as a coach. Says he likes him as a person tho.
What’s your reason/reasons for the dislike? Just curious...

Last edited:
Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
So would you honestly say that other than the #1 team in region D (chilhowie/PH) that D is just as strong from top to bottom as C? Yeah GW got destroyed by Galax but JIB couldn't be GW this year, Holston couldn't, Chilhowie couldn't this year. PH probably could but beating GW is a very different thing from beating Galax lol. My whole point on this is based on my opinion of the upcoming semifinal game of PH vs Galax. And my opinion is Galax wins by 5+ tds and they do it easily and if im wrong and PH does win then they will quickly regret that. RH will dismantle them from go and will probably do that to whoever they play for the rest of thw 2019 season.

this year? 1C is better at the very top. I believe Galax wins handily. But that doesn't prove your point as Galax has lost previous two years and last year wasn't close.

we will just agree to disagree, I think Burton or Chilhowie could absolutely beat GW. Coin flip games IMO. GW has a high powered attack but the teams with nasty defenses forced tons of mistakes and GW struggled to score and stop the run. Burton fits that bill to a tee.

And yes, top to bottom both regions are very close. Top four teams are good, bottom four are not.

How doesn't producing more champions and more different teams winning titles mean one is better? Don't understand the logic there.

Reactions: sixcat

I agree with what you are saying and yes Harner will be coaching at GW next year if he wants to. Blaster may have some info but not as much as he would like for you to believe. GW finished the year as was expected by most, considering our line play was mediocre at best. Our numbers are down like everyone elses. Kids these days are
lazy and don't want to put in the work that football requires. Video games are what keeps them occupied.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT