ADVERTISEMENT

GW vs Galax

You honestly believe travel expenses are the only cost that goes into football? The biggest money making games of the season help offset the games that lose money. The games that lose money are far more frequent than those that make money.

You care to take a guess at how much money was lost on Saturday given the weather conditions after Galax paid 7 game officials? Additional energy consumption from powering the school on a Saturday? Paying cafeteria staff to feed the coaches and players before the game? The cost of the food that fed the coaches and players before the game?

How much do you think the Carroll "revenue" was offset by travel expenses to Glenvar and Northside considering the school had to send buses for the football team, band, and cheerleaders? How about travel expenses to Washington County this coming Saturday? These are VH$L games. Galax wont see any "revenue" from them!

A school budget, even just the athletic portion of the budget, isn't prepared on a week to week basis. It's a cumulative thing. Most schools never come close to breaking even at the end of the budget year on athletics. Including Galax!
Dude I coached HS ball for 8 years, I completely understand the costs associated with football. As well as football is the sport that finances the other sports to be played.
But how does anything you posted have anything to do with playing Carroll County? How does sending busses to Glenvar or Northside have anything to do with playing Carroll County? How does anything that happened on Saturday have anything to do with playing Carroll County.

Your statement was that (playing Carroll does not generate revenue for anybody). Then you say that the biggest money making games offsets the others. Again nothing you stated has anything to do with the Carroll County game making money. If anything the Carroll game revenue helps offset the cost of which you spoke.

Reactions: jdickson55
You honestly believe travel expenses are the only cost that goes into football? The biggest money making games of the season help offset the games that lose money. The games that lose money are far more frequent than those that make money.

You care to take a guess at how much money was lost on Saturday given the weather conditions after Galax paid 7 game officials? Additional energy consumption from powering the school on a Saturday? Paying cafeteria staff to feed the coaches and players before the game? The cost of the food that fed the coaches and players before the game?

How much do you think the Carroll "revenue" was offset by travel expenses to Glenvar and Northside considering the school had to send buses for the football team, band, and cheerleaders? How about travel expenses to Washington County this coming Saturday? These are VH$L games. Galax wont see any "revenue" from them!

A school budget, even just the athletic portion of the budget, isn't prepared on a week to week basis. It's a cumulative thing. Most schools never come close to breaking even at the end of the budget year on athletics. Including Galax!

If this game is the one of highest gate totals for Galax every year -your quote not mine- not help offset all the things you just went off on a tangent on?

Dude I coached HS ball for 8 years, I completely understand the costs associated with football. As well as football is the sport that finances the other sports to be played.
But how does anything you posted have anything to do with playing Carroll County? How does sending busses to Glenvar or Northside have anything to do with playing Carroll County? How does anything that happened on Saturday have anything to do with playing Carroll County.

Your statement was that (playing Carroll does not generate revenue for anybody). Then you say that the biggest money making games offsets the others. Again nothing you stated has anything to do with the Carroll County game making money. If anything the Carroll game revenue helps offset the cost of which you spoke.

The season is made up of much more than one game. You claim Carroll is the biggest gate for Galax all season. How do the gains (if there were any) from the Carroll gate counterbalance the Martinsville game where there may have been 100 people in attendance? How about Rural Retreat? East Mont? Auburn? How about last Saturday? How about travel to Northside and Glenvar? Those costs or losses outweigh anything the Carroll game can possibly generate!

The point is, Galax isn't making enough "revenue" from Carroll to offset the losses of this past Saturday or any of the other examples I have mentioned.

Getting back to the original point, George Wythe isn't making enough revenue from a game with Carroll to offset the benefits of playing stiffer competition such as Graham, PHGS or Chilhowie. In the long term, GW would be better served to play the stiffer competition. Playing Carroll isn't generating huge gates for anybody nor is it helping prepare for stiffer postseason competition. Or at least that's my opinion.

Last edited:
The season is made up of much more than one game. You claim Carroll is the biggest gate for Galax all season. How do the gains (if there were any) from the Carroll gate counterbalance the Martinsville game where there may have been 100 people in attendance? How about Rural Retreat? East Mont? Auburn? How about last Saturday? How about travel to Northside and Glenvar? Those costs or losses outweigh anything the Carroll game can possibly generate!

The point is, Galax isn't making enough "revenue" from Carroll to offset the losses of this past Saturday or any of the other examples I have mentioned.

Getting back to the original point, George Wythe isn't making enough revenue from a game with Carroll to offset the benefits of playing stiffer competition such as Graham, PHGS or Chilhowie. In the long term, GW would be better served to play the stiffer competition. Playing Carroll isn't generating huge gates for anybody nor is it helping prepare for stiffer postseason competition. Or at least that's my opinion.

I never said that Galax was making enough revenue off of Carroll to offset any of the losses of this past Saturday or the total season expenses. You stated Carroll was not making anyone any gate revenue. My whole point was that Carroll is one of the biggest gate draws, concession stand sales of the year. So it does make the school more profit than most other games, again I never once said it covered all expenses, no one did. If Carroll is one of the biggest gates of the year then math tells us that it helps offset expenses, not all expenses but it does make revenue, especially as it is the least expensive game whan traveling away.

Your point about GW benefitting from playing stiffer competition than Carroll, not going to argue that point as you are correct. If it was me I would suggest scheduling them as a benefit game as Galax did for years. That way you still get a much bigger gate than you would a simple scrimmage.

I never said that Galax was making enough revenue off of Carroll to offset any of the losses of this past Saturday or the total season expenses. You stated Carroll was not making anyone any gate revenue. My whole point was that Carroll is one of the biggest gate draws, concession stand sales of the year. So it does make the school more profit than most other games, again I never once said it covered all expenses, no one did. If Carroll is one of the biggest gates of the year then math tells us that it helps offset expenses, not all expenses but it does make revenue, especially as it is the least expensive game whan traveling away.

Your point about GW benefitting from playing stiffer competition than Carroll, not going to argue that point as you are correct. If it was me I would suggest scheduling them as a benefit game as Galax did for years. That way you still get a much bigger gate than you would a simple scrimmage.
Galax schools don't get anything from concessions! The Galax Y's Men have operated the concessions for at the very least, 10 years.

Galax schools don't get anything from concessions! The Galax Y's Men have operated the concessions for at the very least, 10 years.
I was told that the Y's Men did give some of the money from concessions back to the area schools but that may not be the case?

I was told that the Y's Men did give some of the money from concessions back to the area schools but that may not be the case?
It's sort of like a competitive bid process. The Y's men bid for control of the services. They pay the school whatever that bid amount is. It's not much from what I understand. Nobody else has bid against them for a decade so, they keep getting it for a minimal fee.

With that said, the Y's men have said they are giving it up after this season. They are aging and can't get enough volunteers to cover games. It will be interesting to see who steps up and takes it over. I have heard, the athletic boosters may since they have started selling Chic-Fil-A out of the press box. We will see.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
It's sort of like a competitive bid process. The Y's men bid for control of the services. They pay the school whatever that bid amount is. It's not much from what I understand. Nobody else has bid against them for a decade so, they keep getting it for a minimal fee.

With that said, the Y's men have said they are giving it up after this season. They are aging and can't get enough volunteers to cover games. It will be interesting to see who steps up and takes it over. I have heard, the athletic boosters may since they have started selling Chic-Fil-A out of the press box. We will see.

That's a shame as they have some outstanding hotdogs lol

Reactions: MT FAN 91
You may want to research that statement a little further to make sure you have a complete understanding of the arrangement. Concession contracts take a variety of different forms but, none that I am aware of involve a school system completely giving away concession rights and revenue without the school deriving some benefits. Booster clubs often operate the concessions and funnel the money back to the school and teams, outside vendors that operate concessions generally bid on them through either a flat fee or % of revenue arrangement, etc., however, just turning over the rights would be questionable absent a history of nobody wanting to provide the service and/or the actual results indicating it was little better than a break even operation.

This explanation makes a lot more sense than not giving anything and indicates that the situation is a lot like the last scenario in my other post. The Y is doing it as a favor to the schools(i.e., nobody else wants it) and/or it is a marginally breakeven type situation.

You may want to research that statement a little further to make sure you have a complete understanding of the arrangement. Concession contracts take a variety of different forms but, none that I am aware of involve a school system completely giving away concession rights and revenue without the school deriving some benefits. Booster clubs often operate the concessions and funnel the money back to the school and teams, outside vendors that operate concessions generally bid on them through either a flat fee or % of revenue arrangement, etc., however, just turning over the rights would be questionable absent a history of nobody wanting to provide the service and/or the actual results indicating it was little better than a break even operation.
This explanation makes a lot more sense than not giving anything and indicates that the situation is a lot like the last scenario in my other post. The Y is doing it as a favor to the schools(i.e., nobody else wants it) and/or it is a marginally breakeven type situation.
I have been directly involved in concessions at Galax since my daughters were old enough to join the marching band. Helped my in-laws before that. The money the school gets is minimal. The Y's men have covered football for the past decade, if not longer. The athletic boosters took over basketball/volleyball/wrestling from the band about 2 years ago. Our band boosters took over 50/50 at football/basketball at that time.

It was a mutually beneficial "trade" of sorts. The athletic boosters benefit from freeing up some of their time during football and the band benefits from being freed up a bit more during the winter when district, region and concert performances are at a peak.

I have been directly involved in concessions at Galax since my daughters were old enough to join the marching band. Helped my in-laws before that. The money the school gets is minimal. The Y's men have covered football for the past decade, if not longer. The athletic boosters took over basketball/volleyball/wrestling from the band about 2 years ago. Our band boosters took over 50/50 at football/basketball at that time.

It was a mutually beneficial "trade" of sorts. The athletic boosters benefit from freeing up some of their time during football and the band benefits from being freed up a bit more during the winter when district, region and concert performances are at a peak.
Thanks for the further explanation. The matter would appear to hinge on your statement "the money the school gets is minimal" and whether minimal characterizes the revenue of the entire operation or just the portion the school gets. I suspect that the operation is just like most in that whatever revenue is returned to the providing groups hinges more off the volunteer time donated to run the concessions and any donations/gift/etc. of product to the operation. It also sounds like the Y's involvement centers much more around a community service focus than any huge revenue opportunity or profiting at the expense of the school.

Thanks for the further explanation. The matter would appear to hinge on your statement "the money the school gets is minimal" and whether minimal characterizes the revenue of the entire operation or just the portion the school gets. I suspect that the operation is just like most in that whatever revenue is returned to the providing groups hinges more off the volunteer time donated to run the concessions and any donations/gift/etc. of product to the operation. It also sounds like the Y's involvement centers much more around a community service focus than any huge revenue opportunity or profiting at the expense of the school.

When we were doing basketball concessions, the band was responsible for everything from purchasing the items sold in the concessions stand all the way through food preparation and sales. It's not a huge revenue source considering the time commitment involved. Keeping parents involved who are willing to participate is another aspect often overlooked. It's a commitment that most aren't willing to do. So, we are often left with the same half-dozen people doing everything.....every game.

I can only imagine, the Y's men are in very much the same situation. They are doing it more for the community service than the revenue they receive. With the aging membership of the Y's Men, they are struggling to maintain enough volunteers to keep doing concessions going forward.

Even now, we arrive at the high school of game-day at 4PM. Begin hauling pit equipment and drum major stands to the field. Set instrument stands up in the bleachers. Sign out uniforms to the band students. Make sure the band kids are fed before the game. Away games are more stressful.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out, we are always nearly the last people to leave the school and the Y's men are usually still there cleaning up.

I've been lurking here for years. This is the simple truth of the matter:

Mark Dixon and his staff run the most disciplined/college like program in 1A and probably pretty darned close to 2A/3A. It is no secret that Galax and Lord Botetrout have experienced the same amount of success in recent years - they run similar programs with similar philosophies.

From lifting, to film review, to nutrition - it is monitored, tracked, and the system is established. These kids begin in the 7th grade and continue throughout. If you don't - you don't play.

His blocking schemes on the line are far superior to anyone on this side of the state.

Galax is also the only 1a school around these parts that schedules way up to improve their competition.

I want to tie this into the Harner situation at GW:

In Blaster's words it is as simple as GW has the most talent on this side of the state and the coach simply fails to make adjustments. These are both subjective statements but let's break them down.

1) GW has more talent. It's 1a football. I don't think anyone is out talenting anyone to the degree they can win on talent alone. Point mute.

2) GW fails to make adjustments. Dude - there are simply no in game adjustments they can make to beat a team the caliber of Galax.

It is said - "confidence is the key to success and preparation is the key to confidence".

Unless GW has a coach who has the ability to implement the rigorous system in place at Riverheads and Galax, I don't think GW can do any better than Harner. Dixon and Casto are once in a lifetime coaches. I mean hell - Jeff Robinson just did an incredible job at Chilhowie over the past five years. They went from like 2-8 to undefeated and in state title in 4 years. Talk about a team that had TALENT. That team would have run circles around anyone in Single A based on talent alone. Jeff Robinson is a hell of a coach. I don't see anyone on here calling for his job or calling for his job after they got blasted by riverheads. Heck to get there they beat the tar out of Galax.

The point is - Harner is a fine coach. GW's talent is better than 80% of schools in 1a (and so is their record). But it is no better than any other 1a school of similar size. (Chilhowie, PH, JIB, Galax, Riverheads, etc). GW has a fine coach - probably better than 70% of most. He's not better then Dixon or Casto - but honest who is? So who you going to get? It doesn't matter. Replace Harner - more of the same. These are once in a generation coaches running sophisticated systems. If Dixon tried to run his program in Wytheville it would require a major culture change. No one would be ready for the amount of accountability/responsbility he would bring.

Also - not a Galax or RH homer. I'm a good coach homer. Both bring a level of accountability very few bring at the high school level.
I agree that the system has ALOT to do with winning and thats one of the main problems. His system is non existent its all half brained bs. This is coming from kids and others who are either on the team or a part of it. And yes we could do better much better there is one guy who has said he would be willing to come to GW. I wont say who but he played pro ball and is currently coaching at the D2 college level. Plus coach B is available and I know beyond a fact he would run a program just as disciplined as Galax or RH. And my point on talent is as simple as this we have kids walking ths halls who would start at GW or any other school in VA. We have kids who are shot for shot as talented as any in 1A year in and year out. Thats not saying other teams don't but id put GWs talent against any 1A school in VA and if its talent alone no other variables GW wins 9 out of 10 imo. I don't sat these things to be an ass I really don't but I know who we have and who we don't so I know we should have a lot more titles than we do.

And to you adjustments point yeah I get it Dixon will find and exploit you weakness no matter who you are. He is a master at that the best in 1A imo but I mean come on. When people in the stands are yelling out where Galax is going to blitz from and then they do repeatedly and nothing is done about thats coaching. When Galax's whole coaching staff is calling out our plays before they happen thats coaching. So to me it comes down to 1 of 2 things. 1) Either he isn't capable of coaching at the level of a HC or even a competent assistant. Or 2 he is doing it on purpose for whatever reason. Either way its unacceptable I mean hell all any team has to do to beat GW is throw it over the middle we have no one there ever. Like literally we never have a safety the middle os always open and if you can get into our second level in the run game you're gone. I'm just ready for him or someone to step up and lead these kids not just take credit for winning. I'll stick by my statement GW is winning on talent alone not coaching not even 1% coaching. Look at who we've beat since he came in and look at who beat us it so easy to see.

And on a final not it may not matter anyway a source has told me Harner may be looking to get out of GW as much as we are looking to get him out.

I agree with your whole post but I just wanted to point out this particular part couldn't have been said any better.....great post!!!!
Trust me if Dixon wanted to come to Wytheville he and his system would be welcomed with open arms. As I've said before this is the 1st coach I've ever complained about. I have no problem with a tough coach who takes no bs and its his way or you're out. I prefer that because thats the type of system I played in and the way I was raised. And contrary to popular belief the kids at GW are more than capable of playing for a Dixon type coach.

I had the honor of playing for legendary hall of fame coach Dwight Reagan of Sussex Central, yes he was a hard nosed coach but to get the best out of you and correct mistakes you put in work nothing that crossed the line examples are if the offensive line didn’t perform in game , your practice on Tuesday would involved step drills and that dam blocking sled until bolts were sheared off preventing usage, Coach was always looking to educate you and only asked for effort. I pray that GW fixes its issues , I don’t think the coach is that bad , but football culture has changed every were. I also feel some parts of the allegations could be stretched a little bit to get him removed , if he hurt a child I agree that he should be fired but I hope you get right people in place to take advantage of that talent rich community.
Thats where one problem comes from at GW the football culture hasn't changed here. GW has always been known for playing smash mouth football not this spread bs. GW has always been a head smashing school on the football field and thats the type of coaches we've always had. And as for HS Ingo who was asked to step down for hazing it was BS! The man did nothing even in the realm of hazing. Even the kid it happened to said it was no big deal but it was made into a huge deal so it blew up. Hell i played 05, 06, 07 and 08 a little bit ago but not to much haha. And we had WAY WORSE things done to us for messing up I personally had my nose broke I. 2 separate occasions for taking my helmet off to get a drink of water. And so have many others if you've ever been to GW you've seen the hills around the field. We would be made to run those hundreds of time for the smallest mistakes. So GW is ready for old school we need old school.

I agree that the system has ALOT to do with winning and thats one of the main problems. His system is non existent its all half brained bs. This is coming from kids and others who are either on the team or a part of it. And yes we could do better much better there is one guy who has said he would be willing to come to GW. I wont say who but he played pro ball and is currently coaching at the D2 college level. Plus coach B is available and I know beyond a fact he would run a program just as disciplined as Galax or RH. And my point on talent is as simple as this we have kids walking ths halls who would start at GW or any other school in VA. We have kids who are shot for shot as talented as any in 1A year in and year out. Thats not saying other teams don't but id put GWs talent against any 1A school in VA and if its talent alone no other variables GW wins 9 out of 10 imo. I don't sat these things to be an ass I really don't but I know who we have and who we don't so I know we should have a lot more titles than we do.

And to you adjustments point yeah I get it Dixon will find and exploit you weakness no matter who you are. He is a master at that the best in 1A imo but I mean come on. When people in the stands are yelling out where Galax is going to blitz from and then they do repeatedly and nothing is done about thats coaching. When Galax's whole coaching staff is calling out our plays before they happen thats coaching. So to me it comes down to 1 of 2 things. 1) Either he isn't capable of coaching at the level of a HC or even a competent assistant. Or 2 he is doing it on purpose for whatever reason. Either way its unacceptable I mean hell all any team has to do to beat GW is throw it over the middle we have no one there ever. Like literally we never have a safety the middle os always open and if you can get into our second level in the run game you're gone. I'm just ready for him or someone to step up and lead these kids not just take credit for winning. I'll stick by my statement GW is winning on talent alone not coaching not even 1% coaching. Look at who we've beat since he came in and look at who beat us it so easy to see.

And on a final not it may not matter anyway a source has told me Harner may be looking to get out of GW as much as we are looking to get him out.
Who is this Coach B you keep referring to?

Thats where one problem comes from at GW the football culture hasn't changed here. GW has always been known for playing smash mouth football not this spread bs. GW has always been a head smashing school on the football field and thats the type of coaches we've always had. And as for HS Ingo who was asked to step down for hazing it was BS! The man did nothing even in the realm of hazing. Even the kid it happened to said it was no big deal but it was made into a huge deal so it blew up. Hell i played 05, 06, 07 and 08 a little bit ago but not to much haha. And we had WAY WORSE things done to us for messing up I personally had my nose broke I. 2 separate occasions for taking my helmet off to get a drink of water. And so have many others if you've ever been to GW you've seen the hills around the field. We would be made to run those hundreds of time for the smallest mistakes. So GW is ready for old school we need old school.
Who broke your nose?

Was that you down there at the Popeyes chicken a couple days ago politicking to get Harner out? I still haven’t got a straight answer about The MEETING...keep us informed.

Was that you down there at the Popeyes chicken a couple days ago politicking to get Harner out? I still haven’t got a straight answer about The MEETING...keep us informed.
It was not lol and its been worked on as we speak. People are working on getting it set up I'll be sure to let you and everyone else know when I have something concrete. Again I am not the one trying to set it up or am I involved in any way other than being will to be there and speak my piece.

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
Bobby Bandrhimer he playes at Mars Hill and coached GWs JV program from 92-08 I believe. He is a motivator and a mentor he gets results and proves to the kids that his D system works. He is an amazing coach and a great man.
If Coach B is such a great coach, then why hasn't some other school tried to get him? The GW kids are spoiled
and in no way would they be able to play for a coach that requires you to lift weights at 6:00 am in the morning.
To prove my point; look at the kids that have gone on to play college ball and then quit because they didn't want
to put in the time and work involved.

Other schools have but sadly he had cancer and couldn't take jobs. And I know for a fact GW kids can or used to could. We had to be at GW at 5am during the summers to life and run. Then when we were allowed to start practicing it was 2 a days 6 days a week until the school started.

Other schools have but sadly he had cancer and couldn't take jobs. And I know for a fact GW kids can or used to could. We had to be at GW at 5am during the summers to life and run. Then when we were allowed to start practicing it was 2 a days 6 days a week until the school started.
When you went to GW they didn't even lift weights.

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
When you went to GW they didn't even lift weights.
Hahahahaha no not at all cause we didn't have a brand new weight room at our disposal. Go to GW and look at the 1000lb club you'll see we did. And we also had to it was a requirement to be able to play. We had to log so many hours each week on top of non stop conditioning.

I've watched GW a couple of times a year for a long time now and the talent being so much better than everyone else just isnt the case. I'll say they had a couple of years here and there where they were probably more talented than most teams but not every year like its lead to believe. As for the talent walking the halls and not playing 90% or more schools have that same problem( I know Galax has plenty of talent walking the halls that dont play that could benefit us)

Last edited:
Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
You all should really listen to Master B....You can look up his stats at

latest

Heck he might even give you a Frosty while he complains about the coaching. It wouldn't matter if Bear Bryant came back from the grave to coach. He is like every other keyboard warrior who finds something to complain about.

Last edited:
Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Yeah.....I think everyone knows that MasterBlaster just likes to tell himself they have so much "talent". If he really believes it....he's a fool.

I have seen GW play a lot over the years...they are talented but I don't believe they are so supremely talented that any coach would cause them to lose. It's just simply not true. I saw them play Galax this year, Galax was better at 15 positions. Plain and simple. Everyone knows that they like to tell themselves this due to not wanting to break little Johnny and Timmy's heart. This vicious cycle will continue. Again, this is high school football, 1A Virginia high school football at that. No school system with any sort of sense is looking to oust a coach due to philosophical differences between the coach and the PARENTS/FANS. Grow up.

Always remember..."It's about the Jimmies and the Joes....not the X's and the O's."

I've watched GW a couple of times a year for a long time now and the talent being so much better than everyone else just isnt the case. I'll say they had a couple of years here and there where they were probably more talented than most teams but not every year like its lead to believe. As for the talent walking the halls and not playing 90% or more schools have that same problem( I know Galax has plenty of talent walking the halls that dont play that could benefit us)
Yes I've been wrong before about our talent and will be again in the future. But I know what these kids are capable of and I know what is walking around not playing. But one thing I can promise is if Harner leaves I'll quit complaining about coaching.

Just from my perspective they had a lot of talent on the field Sat. Dont like to 2nd guess the coach because hes a heck of a coach but I think he outcoached himself. IMO if he runs the offense he had in 2015 they win by a couple scores.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT