ADVERTISEMENT

GW vs Galax

I agree with what you are saying and yes Harner will be coaching at GW next year if he wants to. Blaster may have some info but not as much as he would like for you to believe. GW finished the year as was expected by most, considering our line play was mediocre at best. Our numbers are down like everyone elses. Kids these days are
lazy and don't want to put in the work that football requires. Video games are what keeps them occupied.
Have you heard anything about a meeting? Just wondering cause I’ve asked several people I know and no one that I talked to has heard anything about it.
I’ve noticed your not on here protesting Harner. Whats your take? If you were him would you tap out and separate from the drama or just let haters hate?

I gotta say that last statement was absolutely awesome. You have to realize I’m a rabbit not a lion...but I get what your saying.

Last edited:
Have you heard anything about a meeting? Just wondering cause I’ve asked several people I know and no one that I talked to has heard anything about it.
I’ve noticed your not on here protesting Harner. Whats your take? If you were him would you tap out and separate from the drama or just let haters hate?

I've not heard about a meeting either and if I were Harner I'd let the haters hate. My take on Harner is; I guess we could do worse.

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
this year? 1C is better at the very top. I believe Galax wins handily. But that doesn't prove your point as Galax has lost previous two years and last year wasn't close.

we will just agree to disagree, I think Burton or Chilhowie could absolutely beat GW. Coin flip games IMO. GW has a high powered attack but the teams with nasty defenses forced tons of mistakes and GW struggled to score and stop the run. Burton fits that bill to a tee.

And yes, top to bottom both regions are very close. Top four teams are good, bottom four are not.

What makes you think Chilhowie would beat GW? Are you going by common opponents or perception or what?

How doesn't producing more champions and more different teams winning titles mean one is better? Don't understand the logic there.
Was the ACC better than SEC last year? Or how about region B last year. River heads won state and absolutely curb stomped Chilhowie but the region had over half its teams with losing records and three of those teams didn't win a game. Is the region still the best region?

Well if you include playoff games he’s had 55 wins in 6 years. Only 21 loses. 6 of those loses were season ending in the playoffs. Which btw he has coached 17 playoff games in 6 years. That nothing to sneeze at! I get it you guys don’t like the man. But that’s ok. everyone wants to sit back and be the armchair coach. Most 1a schools around swva would love to have him.
The point is you guys want some kind of Bill Belicheck and that’s just not in the cards. Even if you did have him half the people would still find something to complain about.
So blaster has told us already why he doesn’t want Harner as a coach. Says he likes him as a person tho.
What’s your reason/reasons for the dislike? Just curious...

his coaching is terrible, no adjustments, no different looks. Dixion was calling our plays out from the sideline. he knew what we were running before the play was ran. He coaches as the dictionary definition of crazy., doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result. dixion was literally telling his kids where to line up on every D snap. they played loose and fast. our D is way to complicated and kids play tight and slow. to many keys to read as plays developing. I really think he doesn't change his defensive scheme because he either doesn't know another or hes to stubborn. Then look at the competition, he beats fort chiswell, marion, bland, rr, grayson, auburn, carol county. he wins with pure talent and that's it. name one game that he has won that he wasn't supposed to win? the schedule year in and year out 80% cupcakes and the other 2 games radford and galax he loses yearly. so please dont act like he's performing some great coaching miracles

this year? 1C is better at the very top. I believe Galax wins handily. But that doesn't prove your point as Galax has lost previous two years and last year wasn't close.

we will just agree to disagree, I think Burton or Chilhowie could absolutely beat GW. Coin flip games IMO. GW has a high powered attack but the teams with nasty defenses forced tons of mistakes and GW struggled to score and stop the run. Burton fits that bill to a tee.

And yes, top to bottom both regions are very close. Top four teams are good, bottom four are not.
Thats a very fair take on this topic.

Reactions: BigWinners
his coaching is terrible, no adjustments, no different looks. Dixion was calling our plays out from the sideline. he knew what we were running before the play was ran. He coaches as the dictionary definition of crazy., doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result. dixion was literally telling his kids where to line up on every D snap. they played loose and fast. our D is way to complicated and kids play tight and slow. to many keys to read as plays developing. I really think he doesn't change his defensive scheme because he either doesn't know another or hes to stubborn. Then look at the competition, he beats fort chiswell, marion, bland, rr, grayson, auburn, carol county. he wins with pure talent and that's it. name one game that he has won that he wasn't supposed to win? the schedule year in and year out 80% cupcakes and the other 2 games radford and galax he loses yearly. so please dont act like he's performing some great coaching miracles
I wish preps had a love icon so I could love this post.

I agree with what you are saying and yes Harner will be coaching at GW next year if he wants to. Blaster may have some info but not as much as he would like for you to believe. GW finished the year as was expected by most, considering our line play was mediocre at best. Our numbers are down like everyone elses. Kids these days are
lazy and don't want to put in the work that football requires. Video games are what keeps them occupied.
You know like I do that GW has an amazing core group of kids who arent lazy. Who actually do want to play ball its always been that way. Our numbers didn't start to drop until he came in you can see that by looking at past rosters. And again I know more than you guys think I do.

Last edited:
Well if you include playoff games he’s had 55 wins in 6 years. Only 21 loses. 6 of those loses were season ending in the playoffs. Which btw he has coached 17 playoff games in 6 years. That nothing to sneeze at! I get it you guys don’t like the man. But that’s ok. everyone wants to sit back and be the armchair coach. Most 1a schools around swva would love to have him.
The point is you guys want some kind of Bill Belicheck and that’s just not in the cards. Even if you did have him half the people would still find something to complain about.
So blaster has told us already why he doesn’t want Harner as a coach. Says he likes him as a person tho.
What’s your reason/reasons for the dislike? Just curious...
No I have zero want to coach at GW or any other school. Im just sick of see the same bs every single game if you play GW 1 time you have seen what we have to offer. No adjustments no different looks nothing you will see the same set and same plays over and over and over. Literally if you find 1 weakness you will beat us almost 100% of the time. Why is that? Because he can't adapt to his opponents he can't see the game and make adjustments as they need to be made. He calls the same crap the whoke game and hopes he catches you napping. If he doesn't its oh well I tried.

I doubt he has much knowledge of it. Not saying that because he isnt in the know because he is. But because the people trying to set it up are only looking for people who share their same beliefs on this subject. And no thats not to black ball Harner or his supporters but it's simply to have a strong argument when it takes place.

A group of parents trying to round up more parents to try and replace a coach in 1A high school football in Virginia....all without him knowing.....

Welcome to 2019 in Wytheville.

Well it sounds to me like you guys agree that when up against equal or better talent GW doesn’t always come out ahead at the end of the game? I mean that’s football... I thought The better team usually comes out victorious. Gw has some talent the last few years but this year in particular the line is where you got beat by both Radford and galax. Those loses are nothing to hang your head over. The Radford game was closer than most thought it would be and galax is just that much better. It is what it is.
I’m not out here making him out to be some miracle coach. I’m actually trying to get you to see, which I think you just agreed that your schedule makes your talent look like it’s top notch vs sub par opponents. Then when you face a team that can match up the results are very different. This has as much to do with coaching as being disciplined as a player. So. I have a question...
You asked what game has he won that he wasn’t supposed to? NONE like I said he’s not a miracle worker he’s a guy that’s willing to admit that sometimes there are teams out there that just out match his team from time to time.
You say every year he takes a lose to Radford and galax. Well can you tell me what adjustments were to be made against galax either game this year? Just curious. Galax has a very disciplined line and gw would not hit the runner head up. In most cases in both games the tackle was made from behind...the kids have to be held accountable sometimes for being out of position or sometimes being to timid to take the hit.
But I guess we can’t blame the kids when mom and dad say “ it’s ok honey your the best ever, but your coach sucks”!
That’s the message that’s being sent and it’s kinda sad from the outside looking in...

Last edited:
If there’s not a quality coach ready to take over at GW, I’d be very hesitant to try to lose Harner.

Was the ACC better than SEC last year? Or how about region B last year. River heads won state and absolutely curb stomped Chilhowie but the region had over half its teams with losing records and three of those teams didn't win a game. Is the region still the best region?

who said it was the best region? The discussion was Region D and Region C.

and I think Chilhowie could absolutely play with GW and could win yes. I said it's a coinflip. GW has enough talent to boatrace people but also can fall apart against good teams and make a lot of mistakes. I don't think it's a crazy statement to think Chilhowie or Burton v. GW is a coin flip game.

Reactions: sixcat
By definition, it’s sounds like BLACKBALLING to me. Holding a secrecy meeting to out or reject someone
No by now he should be well aware of what is being talked about. If it were a secret I wouldn't have poseted about it here. Nothing is being hidden like I said he will have his chance as he deserves one to speak his part. But from what im told they are trying to get people who are like minded involved. Thats it nothing nefarious going on.

Well it sounds to me like you guys agree that when up against equal or better talent GW doesn’t always come out ahead at the end of the game? I mean that’s football... I thought The better team usually comes out victorious. Gw has some talent the last few years but this year in particular the line is where you got beat by both Radford and galax. Those loses are nothing to hang your head over. The Radford game was closer than most thought it would be and galax is just that much better. It is what it is.
I’m not out here making him out to be some miracle coach. I’m actually trying to get you to see, which I think you just agreed that your schedule makes your talent look like it’s top notch vs sub par opponents. Then when you face a team that can match up the results are very different. This has as much to do with coaching as being disciplined as a player. So. I have a question...
You asked what game has he won that he wasn’t supposed to? NONE like I said he’s not a miracle worker he’s a guy that’s willing to admit that sometimes there are teams out there that just out match his team from time to time.
You say every year he takes a lose to Radford and galax. Well can you tell me what adjustments were to be made against galax either game this year? Just curious. Galax has a very disciplined line and gw would not hit the runner head up. In most cases in both games the tackle was made from behind...the kids have to be held accountable sometimes for being out of position or sometimes being to timid to take the hit.
But I guess we can’t blame the kids when mom and dad say “ it’s ok honey your the best ever, but your coach sucks”!
That’s the message that’s being sent and it’s kinda sad from the outside looking in...
By no means do i think we play world beaters ive said it for years we should play a tougher out of district schedule. Keep Daddy add Giles ( I know they are down won't last long) Pulaski ( I know more than likely a yearly loss but it will help come playoffs) and a few others. Our point is he isn't beating anyone he isnt supposed to. Literally every time he has played a team even close to our level he has lost that is proven.

By no means do i think we play world beaters ive said it for years we should play a tougher out of district schedule. Keep Daddy add Giles ( I know they are down won't last long) Pulaski ( I know more than likely a yearly loss but it will help come playoffs) and a few others. Our point is he isn't beating anyone he isnt supposed to. Literally every time he has played a team even close to our level he has lost that is proven.

No by now he should be well aware of what is being talked about. If it were a secret I wouldn't have poseted about it here. Nothing is being hidden like I said he will have his chance as he deserves one to speak his part. But from what im told they are trying to get people who are like minded involved. Thats it nothing nefarious going on.
To make it completely fair they should invite everyone to the meeting and let them have their say not just people who want get rid of him.

I don't know how much better you can get than the schedule they have. Remember the schedule is usually made a couple years in advance.
1.You have to play fort Chiswell, Auburn, Grayson County, Galax because they are in the same district and up until this year Rural retreat was as well.
2. Rural retreat, Caroll County and Marion are the closest schools to you so it makes perfect sense financially.
3. That leaves you Radford and Gate city. Who do you switch them out for. Radford is usually always a good team. Chilhowie until the two years prior have not been considered as a great team. Giles would be hard to get as they dropped all the teams out this way.
That's four 2a's was five when schedule was made (Grayson dropped) and a 3a. So when schedule was made six out of ten games are against a higher classification schools and the others are must play district games. That's certainly not playing down in my humble opinion.

Now if you could get a home and home with Graham that would be a huge win. Both as a tough opponent and it's a fairly close school. Win, win.

Last edited:
Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
I don't know how much better you can get than the schedule they have. Remember the schedule is usually made a couple years in advance.
1.You have to play fort Chiswell, Auburn, Grayson County, Galax because they are in the same district and up until this year Rural retreat was as well.
2. Rural retreat, Caroll County and Marion are the closest schools to you so it makes perfect sense financially.
3. That leaves you Auburn and Gate city. Who do you switch them out for. Radford is usually always a good team. Chilhowie until the two years prior have not been considered as a great team. Giles would be hard to get as the dropped all the teams out this way.
That's four 2a's was five when schedule was made (Grayson dropped) and a 3a. So when schedule was made six out of ten games are against a higher classification schools and the others are must play district games. That's certainly not playing down in my humble opinion.

Now if you could get a home and home with Graham that would be a huge win. Both as a tough opponent and it's a fairly close school. Win, win.

I don't think GW needs to play Giles because they would be the only single-wing team we would play.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
3. That leaves you Radford and Gate city. Who do you switch them out for. Radford is usually always a good team. Chilhowie until the two years prior have not been considered as a great team. Giles would be hard to get as they dropped all the teams out this way.

How do you get that that schedule shouldn’t be considered “playing down”?
Let me break it down for ya . Just because your playing a 3 a school doesn’t mean your “playing up”.
Carroll co has won 3 games in three years...in 6 years they have a record of 11-49!
Gate city 6-24 in the last 3 years...
Marion 7-13 over the last couple...
FC 9-11 in 2 years...
The schedule is watered down. No matter how you look at it. It’s easy to brag about your accomplishments when you don’t play anybody. And when you do you blame the coach?
I notice galax doesn’t shy away from a challenge. Let gw get a taste of northside . Pretty sure galax played in a benefit game or scrimmage against LB a couple years ago. The point I’m trying to make is that if you wanna be better you have to be willing to be challenged from time to time. Those days of stacking a youth league team and wondering why you never lose brings a program to where it is now. Not able to understand that there are teams out there that can win too.

Reactions: sixcat
How do you get that that schedule shouldn’t be considered “playing down”?
Let me break it down for ya . Just because your playing a 3 a school doesn’t mean your “playing up”.
Carroll co has won 3 games in three years...in 6 years they have a record of 11-49!
Gate city 6-24 in the last 3 years...
Marion 7-13 over the last couple...
FC 9-11 in 2 years...
The schedule is watered down. No matter how you look at it. It’s easy to brag about your accomplishments when you don’t play anybody. And when you do you blame the coach?
I notice galax doesn’t shy away from a challenge. Let gw get a taste of northside . Pretty sure galax played in a benefit game or scrimmage against LB a couple years ago. The point I’m trying to make is that if you wanna be better you have to be willing to be challenged from time to time. Those days of stacking a youth league team and wondering why you never lose brings a program to where it is now. Not able to understand that there are teams out there that can win too.

I absolutely agree that you should play tough non conference schedule, like I said Graham would be a perfect game. My point is classifications and the fact that removing Carroll County and Marion takes away some of your bigger revenue games due to location. You need those games for the money, it's just an unfortunate truth.
Like I said in my post besides gate city which I agree with it would be hard to replace carroll and Marion due to this reason, and you have to play FC.
As well as finding someone to play. I don't know the behind the scenes but when Radford dropped us we had an extremely hard time to find someone to play us and we ended up having to play Martinsville who is part of the sisters of the weak club.

Now that this thread has went in a completely different I want to jump back in. My take is that if an AD is looking at the football schedule closely they can certainly impact the playoff seeding for their team. In my opinion the goal should be to come up with 7-9 wins yourself and an opponent total win amount in the neighborhood of 48-54 (obviously the more the better). At 7 wins that give you around 120 points for the wins plus another 16-18 in the losses for game points (mix of 1A, 2A and a 3a team). As for rider points taking best case of 54 wins you can figure about 80-85 points. That in total puts your points at 218-223 which most years will put you between 2nd and 4th in most of the 1A regions. In order to host throughout a team needs 240-260 points which means you cant play OOD 1A teams period if you are in a 1A district yourself. It is dang near impossible to get to that number with a 1A schedule so playing up is important but they also have to have wins as mentioned by @Daddy_rabbit in his own way. I get that local teams garner more revenue, trust and believe I wish the Gladiators didn't have to travel almost 3 hours to play teams but it is what it is. In the end you have to win the games on your schedule and cheer for your opponent to win all their other games to position you better for the playoffs. Thing is regardless of points and all that noise, a team has to win on the field when it comes this time of year and the playoffs can be a harsh awakening to the realities of where a team is in relationship to the their peers.

I get what your saying. I don’t see GW picking up graham tho. If it’s based on closeness graham is closer than Carroll. Pulaski is closer.

Reactions: Optimal62
Thank you for breaking it down @RedPrideNation_RollPride. That’s exactly what I’m trying to say without all the numbers. A win is a win on paper. But when you put the numbers with it it’s not necessarily a quality win. If that makes any sense.

There is some talk that Graham and Galax are working on a home-and-home series after existing agreements expire. Which would be for the 2021 season. It's my understanding, Graham will drop Fort Chiswell and Galax will drop Rural Retreat if it happens.

Nobody is making "revenue" playing Carroll County. GW would be better served from a gate receipt and competitive standpoint to replace Carroll with Chilhowie or PHGS. Old Hogoheegee rivals that are very well coached, physical, have plenty of community support and travel very well.

This is true and I know its made a couple years out and I love having Raddy on. And would love to play the G-Men but as said above yeah they are higher but they are definitely currently not on GWs level of ability. Hopefully by the time we're done playing them they will have come up but for now thats not the case.

Reactions: Optimal62
There is some talk that Graham and Galax are working on a home-and-home series after existing agreements expire. Which would be for the 2021 season. It's my understanding, Graham will drop Fort Chiswell and Galax will drop Rural Retreat if it happens.

Nobody is making "revenue" playing Carroll County. GW would be better served from a gate receipt and competitive standpoint to replace Carroll with Chilhowie or PHGS. Old Hogoheegee rivals that are very well coached, physical, have plenty of community support and travel very well.

Carroll County was one of our biggest gates of the season if not the biggest!

Sometimes you need to look at the AD, I wonder if they really want a program to be successful . If he is in it as a another job why would he put more on his own plate?Not sure but he probably makes the same money with or without a long playoff run ! Basketball overlaps the playoffs . A lot going on during the @ this time . Piece of cake schedule, wins and loses , who cares? Same pay. jmo

I've been lurking here for years. This is the simple truth of the matter:

Mark Dixon and his staff run the most disciplined/college like program in 1A and probably pretty darned close to 2A/3A. It is no secret that Galax and Lord Botetrout have experienced the same amount of success in recent years - they run similar programs with similar philosophies.

From lifting, to film review, to nutrition - it is monitored, tracked, and the system is established. These kids begin in the 7th grade and continue throughout. If you don't - you don't play.

His blocking schemes on the line are far superior to anyone on this side of the state.

Galax is also the only 1a school around these parts that schedules way up to improve their competition.

I want to tie this into the Harner situation at GW:

In Blaster's words it is as simple as GW has the most talent on this side of the state and the coach simply fails to make adjustments. These are both subjective statements but let's break them down.

1) GW has more talent. It's 1a football. I don't think anyone is out talenting anyone to the degree they can win on talent alone. Point mute.

2) GW fails to make adjustments. Dude - there are simply no in game adjustments they can make to beat a team the caliber of Galax.

It is said - "confidence is the key to success and preparation is the key to confidence".

Unless GW has a coach who has the ability to implement the rigorous system in place at Riverheads and Galax, I don't think GW can do any better than Harner. Dixon and Casto are once in a lifetime coaches. I mean hell - Jeff Robinson just did an incredible job at Chilhowie over the past five years. They went from like 2-8 to undefeated and in state title in 4 years. Talk about a team that had TALENT. That team would have run circles around anyone in Single A based on talent alone. Jeff Robinson is a hell of a coach. I don't see anyone on here calling for his job or calling for his job after they got blasted by riverheads. Heck to get there they beat the tar out of Galax.

The point is - Harner is a fine coach. GW's talent is better than 80% of schools in 1a (and so is their record). But it is no better than any other 1a school of similar size. (Chilhowie, PH, JIB, Galax, Riverheads, etc). GW has a fine coach - probably better than 70% of most. He's not better then Dixon or Casto - but honest who is? So who you going to get? It doesn't matter. Replace Harner - more of the same. These are once in a generation coaches running sophisticated systems. If Dixon tried to run his program in Wytheville it would require a major culture change. No one would be ready for the amount of accountability/responsbility he would bring.

Also - not a Galax or RH homer. I'm a good coach homer. Both bring a level of accountability very few bring at the high school level.

Last edited:
It always is. It doesn't mean anyone profits from it! Biggest gate versus covering expenses associated with fielding a football program are two completely different things!

You are going to have to help me understand this one.
It's the biggest gate for both schools except maybe the Grayson game. It is the shortest distance for each school to travel, less than 20 minute drive. So less fuel, no food costs etc. So how could it not be the highest money maker of the year and in turn the highest profit generator.
I don't know what the gate looks like for GW and CC but I bet it's one of theirs as well.

[

Last edited:
These are once in a generation coaches running sophisticated systems. If Dixon tried to run his program in Wytheville it would require a major culture change. No one would be ready for the amount of accountability/responsbility he would bring.
I agree with your whole post but I just wanted to point out this particular part couldn't have been said any better.....great post!!!!

You are going to have to help me understand this one.
It's the biggest gate for both schools except maybe the Grayson game. It is the shortest distance for each school to travel, less than 20 minute drive. So less fuel, no food costs etc. So how could it not be the highest money maker of the year and in turn the highest profit generator.
I don't know what the gate looks like for GW and CC but I bet it's one of theirs as well.[

You honestly believe travel expenses are the only cost that goes into football? The biggest money making games of the season help offset the games that lose money. The games that lose money are far more frequent than those that make money.

You care to take a guess at how much money was lost on Saturday given the weather conditions after Galax paid 7 game officials? Additional energy consumption from powering the school on a Saturday? Paying cafeteria staff to feed the coaches and players before the game? The cost of the food that fed the coaches and players before the game?

How much do you think the Carroll "revenue" was offset by travel expenses to Glenvar and Northside considering the school had to send buses for the football team, band, and cheerleaders? How about travel expenses to Washington County this coming Saturday? These are VH$L games. Galax wont see any "revenue" from them!

A school budget, even just the athletic portion of the budget, isn't prepared on a week to week basis. It's a cumulative thing. Most schools never come close to breaking even at the end of the budget year on athletics. Including Galax!

I could care less about which region is better. But he has a point. In my opinion you cannot say region x is better than region y because of the number of state championships. A person would have to take a holistic look at the body of work of all the teams in the region.
For example Riverheads, they have absolutely dominated 1a since 2016. Although I don't think they would say that their region is the best in the state as a whole by any means during that time period, especially before this year's realignment . Correct me if I am wrong Riverheads fans. Again it's just my opinion.
Region B is gonna be hell in the years to come man , get your popcorn !

Accountability and team first is a staple of “old school”. How you get there is what separates those that know what the hell they are doing and jackasses that read a book about coaching and leadership. I will give you a few examples of coach Casto talking to a group of coaches for youth baseball. He made a few statements that stood out to me. One, remember these athletes you are coaching are someone’s child and by definition one of the most important people in their life so be respectful and expect respect. Be the example for the things you expect of your athletes. Secondly when doing drills and thinking of punishing an underperforming player, does the action you impose on that athlete reenforce the behavior and correct fundamental that you want to be the outcome? Does the drill have anything to do with making them more proficient at the sport they are performing or will it just make you feel like they will learn their lesson and listen next time?

The days of breaking someone’s spirit to build them up is long past if it ever was a real approach. That is not what the truly great coaches ever did anyway. Perception is reality but arguably the best pure basketball coach was Wooden and he was a stickler on details but didn’t demean his athletes to get performance. Repetition and pursuit of perfection in the details. Just my .02 anyway.
I had the honor of playing for legendary hall of fame coach Dwight Reagan of Sussex Central, yes he was a hard nosed coach but to get the best out of you and correct mistakes you put in work nothing that crossed the line examples are if the offensive line didn’t perform in game , your practice on Tuesday would involved step drills and that dam blocking sled until bolts were sheared off preventing usage, Coach was always looking to educate you and only asked for effort. I pray that GW fixes its issues , I don’t think the coach is that bad , but football culture has changed every were. I also feel some parts of the allegations could be stretched a little bit to get him removed , if he hurt a child I agree that he should be fired but I hope you get right people in place to take advantage of that talent rich community.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT