ADVERTISEMENT

GW vs Sussex

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They are fast no doubt but it's not enough speed to blow past GW. We are the perfect mixture of size and speed. And in order for speed to burn you it has to get past the second level or have time to throw.

They definitely have speed, to say the least. Another thing you should factor is that GW hasn't seen good speed overall as a team this year, let alone the premier speed in 1A. Not saying GW isn't fast (I know they are), but compared to teams they have played this year, they look unrealistically fast. I would have loved to see Graham/GW play and see how GW would have adjusted to the speed. I don't think Sussex is there with Graham in speed overall, but they aren't far behind.

However I am sticking to my pick of GW. I don't believe (after watching a little film) that Sussex will be able to run the power out of the shotgun on GW's line. To me, GW doesn't want to see the athletes of Sussex make any plays on D. Stick to dive/power/iso/trap (whatever you want to call it) and ride the hogs to the win.

Also, I would suspect that Sussex would want to get their athletes on offense in some sort of space and let them do their thing. I would line up in shotgun all night against GW and abuse the slot. Make GW's LB's cover someone. If you try and run it and GW vertically, I think it spells a long night for Sussex. Get GW's defensive players in space and let your athletes do what they do best, run!

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
I agree man our power run game should be able to pick up 3 to 4 a pop. And on over all team speed yeah they will have a slight edge I mean #9 there TE (really good) plays D line. I guess for me it's will that slight edge in speed be able to overwhelme our lopsided advantage in size/strength and depth?

Yeah trying to run into the teeth of GW D isn't a good idea. That's asking to be 3 and out all night the Veer will not work.

I know GW has changed since the Galax game but if I remember correctly Galax run off tackle most of the night. That game was a long time ago and my memory might be telling me wrong. And like I said I know GW has gotten better since that game before everybody gets in a tiz.

I know GW has changed since the Galax game but if I remember correctly Galax run off tackle most of the night. That game was a long time ago and my memory might be telling me wrong. And like I said I know GW has gotten better since that game before everybody gets in a tiz.
You are correct they ran to the right almost all night and we couldn't stop it for a second. But as you said we've gotten better they play as a unit now with one goal in mind.

blaster I don't know if you came to franklin in 2012 when GW shocked franklin if you were there you know how fast the broncos were and GW held there own franklin was good I mean really good but they got caught looking past you guys but Sussex is humble they are not like franklin they don't talk much. If you were at that game and saw the speed franklin had this Sussex team you are about to play is a couple steps faster and they wont be looking past you

blaster I don't know if you came to franklin in 2012 when GW shocked franklin if you were there you know how fast the broncos were and GW held there own franklin was good I mean really good but they got caught looking past you guys but Sussex is humble they are not like franklin they don't talk much. If you were at that game and saw the speed franklin had this Sussex team you are about to play is a couple steps faster and they wont be looking past you

With all due respect, Sussex, GW, 2012 Franklin, and 2012 GW are all four very different teams. This isn't the same kind of team that we brought to Franklin back then, and Sussex isn't anything like the Broncos either. That game isn't really any sort of reference in my mind.

I did and I saw that Franklin team very impressive bunch. Butt as loyal said this GW team is different then that team. Imo are alot better than our 2012 team definitely bigger and faster. But I do get what you're saying and don't doubt it for a second. GW and Sussex are only focused in each other as they should be. As I've said before I can't wait for Saturday.

Franklins coach lost that game for them. He had GW on the ropes when running the ball late in that game. For what ever reason decided to throw a, they want expect this pass and Hollywood picked it off. Game over.

I did and I saw that Franklin team very impressive bunch. Butt as loyal said this GW team is different then that team. Imo are alot better than our 2012 team definitely bigger and faster. But I do get what you're saying and don't doubt it for a second. GW and Sussex are only focused in each other as they should be. As I've said before I can't wait for Saturday.
Im a loyal gw fan but I disagree I think our 2012 is an overall better team. Their defense was what number 1 in 1a. Plus they didnt go against a team like clintwood. I will say this years team can pass a whole lot better than the 2012. But like I said thats just my opinion and respect yours! Defense wins championships!

That is very fair and I do agree that D was a little better but imo this O is better. And yes D does win championships now that's not saying this D is amazing cause it is lol.

Just to clarify, when I said that those four teams were completely different teams, I wasn't trying to say that Team A was better than Team B, C, or D. Just that the two teams that will meet up in Sussex Saturday are much different from the teams that played in 2012 in Franklin. My point was that simply using the Franklin game as a point of reference is kinda moot. That's all.

As a matter of fact, I think the two most similar teams of that group is this years Sussex team and the '12 GW team. Even though they aren't the same, the formula those two teams use/used are close (strong defense/steady and controlled run game). Schematically, though, it's much different concepts.

That being said, I am still more comfortable in this matchup after watching a little video than I was Sunday. So don't read too much into me comparing Sussex to our 2012 Maroons.

Franklins coach lost that game for them. He had GW on the ropes when running the ball late in that game. For what ever reason decided to throw a, they want expect this pass and Hollywood picked it off. Game over.
I know fort it was heartbreaking to run all the way down the field and then call a unnecessary pass instead of just pounding away

Yuup and we still talk about that pass today..no one on GW was stopping travis brown..and he was running on one good ankle

Yuup and we still talk about that pass today..no one on GW was stopping travis brown..and he was running on one good ankle

Travis Brown was easily the best running back we faced that year, and we saw some really good ones.

He was really impressive

Listen you guys are tough. Deacon is a monster...hope we can get to him but with that huge o line it will be extremely tough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT