ADVERTISEMENT

Hanover Defense Delivers 23-16 Win!

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Hanover County has been riding high in football this season as up until last week, three of the four teams were undefeated. All have winning records and last week and this week have shown me one thing, much like some of the Civil War battles fought in and around Hanover, the county is yet again a battlefield between teams who will beat up on each other all year. Tonight was no exception.

The sun a sight for sore eyes setting over Patrick Henry’s field, a crisp autumn chill in the air, it just felt like a great night for football and boy was it ever.

The first quarter of play was highlighted by the Hawks scoring on the opening drive of the game that stretched eighty yards and capped by a Ben Mahone seven yard touchdown run. The Hawks almost had several big plays themselves on defense with an almost interception on the Patriots first possession when a Hunter Hart pass ricocheted off several Hawks hands and managed to fall into the hands of a Patriot receiver. On that same possession the Patriots fumbled the ball but was able to recover the loose ball but the Patriots had to settle for a Logan Buthuius field goal instead of a touchdown.

In the second quarter the Hawks nearly had another interception miss when Alex Dillard had the ball right there at his chest but it bounced off before he could get a handle on it. On that same possession, Tyler Flora did what Dillard could not intercepting Hunter Hart after the Patriots had gotten the ball to the Hawks 15. The Hawks however were unable to get a first down and thus had to punt on 4th & 3 but the Hawks faked the punt but were unable to convert and Patrick Henry took over. That came back to the haunt the Hawks as it would take just three plays for the Patriots to score their first touchdown of the night when the speedy Kwatayvous Blackwell scored on a 17-yard touchdown run. The two teams would trade posessions without much to show for but Hanover put together a 79-yard driver shortly before the half to take a 15-10 lead after a Bazala touchdown and two-point conversion.

With the teams returning for the second half, quarterback Clayton Cheatham on crutches could be seen rallying the troops along the sideline but it was the Patriots who came out firing. The Patriots put together a 75-yard drive of their own that was highlighted by a 30-yard pass between Hart and Blackwell and a 22-yard pass to Joshua Guererro. Neither would be the one in the endzone at the end however as it was Harley Oxendine who was on the receiving end of a Hunter Hart pass to the endzone from 12 yards out with about 5 minutes to go in the third quarter. The Patriots went on top 16-15 and went for the two point conversion but were unable to convert. The Patriots would keep the Hawks from scoring let alone getting down the field at all to be honest and Hanover would punt and they would get a huge break. That break would come in the form of a touched ball which the Hawks then jumped on despite the Patriots player acting as if he had not touched it and a slow response from the refs. Hanover had the ball back and six plays later and now in the fourth quarter the Hawks were in the endzone with a touchdown pass to Tabb Patrick!

In the fourth quarter there was lots of drama. One instance of this was when the Hawks were flagged for roughing the kicker when the Patriots were going to punt. It appeared to many along the Hawks side that the player was pushed into the kicker but it is it what it is and the Patriots possession was extended with a first down. Hunter Hart was elusive finding holes in the Hawks defense, racing past the reach of Hawks as he picked up 20 yards and made play after play if not on the ground, in the air. It was the air however that cost the Patriots a chance to if not tie, go on top of the Hawks when Hart’s third down pass was picked off by Jacob Bazala in the endzone. The Hawks got within a yard of a first down but rather than punt which many, myself included questioned, the Hawks chose to go for it. They were unsuccessful and the Patriots got the ball at the Hawks 41 and I couldn’t help but think, was this headed to overtime? Or if the Patriots do score, would they opt to tie or would they go for the win on a two-point conversion. None of it mattered. The Patriots were unable to make any headway against a defense that buckled down after Hart hit Justin Sikkar with a 15 yard pass to help overcome a penalty. Two Hart passes fell incomplete and thus it came down to 4th & 9 and Hart looked for an open receiver if not for a score, for a first down but he could not find such a player and began running back to evade the charging Hawks defense but it was to no avail and the Hawks took him down and thus the Hawks sealed victory.

SCORING SUMMARY
1st Quarter-
6:28- Ben Mahone 7-yard touchdown run, PAT good; Hanover 7-0.
1:05- Logan Bulthuis 36-yard field goal; Hanover 7-3.

2nd Quarter-
4:26- Kwatayvous Blackwell 17-yard touchdown run, Bulthuis PAT; Patrick Henry 10-7.
:10.5- Marcus Bazala 3-yard touchdown run, two-point conversion; Hanover 15-10.

3rd Quarter-
4:59- Harley Oxendine 12-yard touchdown pass from Hunter Hart, Bulthius PAT; Patrick Henry 16-15.

4th Quarter-
9:12- Tabb Patrick 5-yard touchdown pass from Marcus Bazala, Bazala two-point conversion; Hanover 23-16.

KEYS TO VICTORY
Hanover’s questionable call to go for it on 4th & 1 on their own 43 with a little more than a minute to go put the defense in a precarious position. Precarious because the Hawks were unable to convert the ball after the Patriots came up with a big stop themselves. The Patriots had the ball with 1:41 to go at the Hawks 41 and the Patriots could not get the ball down the field. The pressure the defense brought was too much as Hunter Hart had to scramble several times looking for a man down field. On fourth down in particular Hart was scrambling this way and that way looking to make something happen, if nothing else get a first down but the blitz was on and the defense of Hanover sealed the victory.

Hanover had just scored with 9:12 to go in the fourth quarter, they were now up 23-16 and Patrick Henry had to respond. They did so, they chewed up yards and time on a long, methodical drive that saw the clock wind down to 2:18 to go in the game… It was at that mark that the Patriots promising drive ceased when Bazala made a big play defensively but it was not Marcus this time but rather Jacob who intercepted what could have been a touchdown in the endzone and returned it out to the 34 of Hanover eliminating the Patriots threat.

Yet another huge play for the Hawks, this one as the third quarter neared completion. The Patriots had scored, the Hawks had tried to respond but came up empty and punted the ball. Unfortuantely for Patrick Henry carelessness set in as the ball was touched but the player acted as if he didn’t touch it but Hawks players knew he had and had recovered the live ball even if the refs weren’t signaling it live. As it turned out, after a delay from the refs, the ball was ruled live and the Hawks in fact had the ball at the Patriots 25 and they would ultimately capitalize with the go ahead touchdown.

PLAYERS OF THE GAME
I’m going to do something unusual here and put Bazala’s as more than for the Hawks. Marcus didn’t put up the numbers we are accustomed to over the past few weeks with just 177 total yards and two touchdowns; one on the ground and one in the air. As the quarterback, he routinely made plays on offense when he had to. Then his brother Jacob Bazala came through in the fourth quarter with an interception in the endzone that would have given the Patriots a chance to if not tie, certainly go on top of the Hawks. Bazala’s had a night to remember.

Hard to argue with Hunter Hart of the Patriots in this category as he impressed me tonight. Several times it looked as though Hart would be wrapped and yet he would almost sprint past the reach of Hawk defenders or come through with a big pass. He was constantly trying to make something happen and while I knew he was an athlete, seeing him in person tonight proved that to be true. For the night Hart was 15 of 23 for 141 yards and had two touchdowns. He was equally as dangerous on the ground with 20 carries for 110 yards albeit no touchdowns on the ground.

EXTRA POINTS
Closest game between the two since 2008 when the Hawks won by just eight points.

First time Patriots have lost back-to-back games since Sept. 26th and Oct. 3rd of last season.

Great write up as always CRF4Dan. You have any idea when Cheatham is coming back? I saw Highland Springs/Atlee tonight and though I doubt Hanover wins that game, you have to think Cheatham, if healthy, gives them a chance against the Springers.

Great write up as always CRF4Dan. You have any idea when Cheatham is coming back? I saw Highland Springs/Atlee tonight and though I doubt Hanover wins that game, you have to think Cheatham, if healthy, gives them a chance against the Springers.

I don't believe Cheatham will realistically be back till about the end of the season so maybe in time for the playoffs. I have not heard an update as far as a timeline but I remember at the time, after that Dinwiddie game it was 6-10 weeks so we shall.

Hanover's offensive line looks sooo physical, big and fast. Any of them got D1 offers? Mac Patrick looks very good.

Last edited:
Will Hanover realistically have anything for Highland Springs Friday and Henrico? Atlee ran the ball decently against them Monday and their O-line is not even in the same conversation as Hanover's. Springs' secondary and linebackers are their defense's strong point and I'm hearing Henrico's defense is not too far behind Bird's. Henrico's problem is they have an A- defense and a C- offense. They've struggled big time on offense.

• Tab is an excellent athlete and very instinctual. Whoever gets him Tabb is going to have a very smart and physical player.
  • And just turn the film on for his brother Mac...he consistently "biffs" aka pancakes defenders. Awesome thing about Mac is that he will get a block and move to the next level to look for more defenders to put on the grass. Legit D1 caliber player with some nastiness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT