ADVERTISEMENT

High School Refs

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
After watching the Detroit-Dallas game yesterday, our VHSL refs don't look so bad. In fact they do a good job.

The NFL is supposed to have the best refs. However the crew assigned to Detroit-Dallas game would have trouble calling a high school game between two 0-9 teams.

looks as if a memo was send to Cowboys stating holding would be legal for the game. The pick up of the flag on the pass interference call was one of worst calls/non-calls in NFL history. I have never seen a call changed after yards were marked off.

No "and/or" needed in above statement
laugh.r191677.gif

The Washington Redskins had nothing to do with that game yesterday, or the bad calls made by the refs. It was obivious the refs were influenced by an outside force, probably Jerry Jones' money.

There was no foul. Faceguarding is not illegal in the NFL and neither is incidental contact like lightly putting your hand on the receiver's shoulder. The rules say that if there is any doubt as to whether the contact is incidental it is not interference. Obviously, there was doubt, so they got the call right. They pick up flags all the time. The mistake was announcing the penalty to the crowd and then not announcing a reason they chose to pick it up.

Correct on the faceguarding. I don't think you can definitively say they got the call right when you have multiple former NFL officials coming down on different sides of the call but, that is certainly a prime indication there was at least doubt. Short of Ed Hochuli giving one of his dissertations it is questionable whether any reason would have sufficed and there is still the question of whether they would have picked the flag up if it had been in Detroit. Makes for interesting Monday discussions though.

That call was bad all over. Not to mention the receiver was grabbed by jersey before PI took place. Refs were influenced by an outside source, other than NFL rulebook. If NFL has any integrity, at least 2 of the refs will not call any more post season games. The head ref should never call another game period.

what about Bryant running on the field without a helmet on trying to wooo the ref also. That's a penalty as well. I remember when they flagged Mike Westbrook for it against the Giants.

True. the refs were out to hose the Lions end result should have been first down Lions, inside red zone.

No need to over dramatize. The call was no where near as egregious as you contend given the fact that so many people who actually have called an NFL game are disagreeing on the play. The Detroit receiver probably got away with a push earlier as well. Depending on where a person's allegiances lie probably colors the perception as well.

I didn't watch more than a few minutes of the game, but hearing you guys talk makes someone come to mind. "White Hat", over on the "ask the officials", board. I have had the pleasure of getting to know him via e-mail over the last year. For me, getting to know someone like him, with his long years of experience, to say nothing of his complete command of the rule book, changes the way you react to all officials, regardless of the level of competition.

You just have to know that, almost without exception, that all any official wants to do is "get it right". I am not naive enough to say that there is a chance, a very very small chance, that Jones or someone else may try to "buy" one or more officials. But truthfully, that idea is absurd. I will admit that sometimes what goes on, with respect to a call on the field, may fit nicely into the idea that an official has been "influenced". Until such time as irrefutable evidence has been brought forth, I will argue the opposite with my last breath. (I guess actually with my last key stroke?)

I wish, and have suggested, that White Hat write a book, or basically his memoirs. He has entertained and mesmerized me with tales of what he has seen. I'm sure all of us would look at officiating differently after learning about all that takes place in "their world".

DP

I think you protest way too much for that to have any possibility of being true although you might be delusional enough to believe that the case. The sheer volume of parties with NFL experience disagreeing on both sides of the call, who by the way have forgotten more about the sport than you will ever know, clearly indicates a level of disagreement among reasonable minds that would question such an absolute opinion as yours.

Something was certainly amiss on the play in question. The receiver was held by his jersey earlier in route and no flag thrown. Receiver was knocked down, resulting in the flag that was picked up. #88 of Dallas ran onto field without helmet on in an attempt to influence refs, which is a violation of rules, should have been unsportsmans like conduct. There was 3 opportunites for refs to mark off yardage against Dallas and they chose not to do so.
e
If that same play had happened in the Carolina-Arizona game, the flag would have never been picked up.

This "Fix Is In" Silliness

Why would anybody fix an NFL playoff game? TV ratings? The playoffs are going to get ratings no matter who's in them. Because Jerry Jones paid them off? What makes anybody that Jones could bribe anybody better than other owners? They're all rich. The idea that somebody would fix games, threatening the credibility of the league and potentially closing the money machine that is the NFL is ridiculous.

Had they huddled up before announcING the penalty and/or not thrown the flag maybe this isn't talked about. The fact is the back judge threw his flag they moved the ball and chains then wenter back to original line of scrimmage. According to the va of officials what Dez did was ok but let a player remove his helmet whill on the field and they will be flagged. To me he left the bench to confront an official which should be review able and an automatic ejection. There is a reason there is officials on the field let them do their job. It should also carry a 1 game suspension with no appeal allowed. Control your anger you get paid millions to do so.

says the guy who before this season would blame refs, weather, or field conditions for EVERY loss that Greta had. You can't have that mindset and then say they throw out their allegiances when a statement on calls is made

Referees are horrible at all levels. Football and basketball and especially at the high school level. Very rare will you find a good officiated game in high school. Go down to North Carolina, it's day and night better than Virginia.

Originally posted by DanvilleSportsHead:
Referees are horrible at all levels. Football and basketball and especially at the high school level. Very rare will you find a good officiated game in high school. Go down to North Carolina, it's day and night better than Virginia.
Maybe where you are but overall, with rare exceptions, I can't complain. It's a tough job. I wouldn't want it.

NFL, NCAA & NFHS/VHSL rules are all different. Good/Bad is all over in everything from Apple Pie to Music!! Remember one thing one play does not win or lose a ballgame even a Inadvertent Whistle. Hope everyone had a Great H-Day as we did here in Lion Nation
lurk.r191677.gif

Re: This "Fix Is In" Silliness

I agree, no one is going to pay the officials that is pure ignorance. They pick up flags all the time. People that hate Dallas are the ones crying. What is the name of the children's song? LET IT GO, LET IT GO, it is not going to change a darn thing

One play

I have seen many games decided by one play, in every sport. I have seen bad calls by refs decide games, I have seen bad plays by players decide games and bad coaching decisions decide games. Heck I even saw a game where cheerleaders decided the game.

On rare occasions one bad/missed call can essentially decide the outcome of the game. The call in question didn't decide the outcome of the game, but it certainly impacted how things played out. There should have been a penalty on the play, if not for PI, then for defensive holding that occurred earlier in the play. Also I don't understand why Bryant wasn't flagged for being on the field without his helmet on, he wasn't even supposed to be on the field in the first place. Regardless, what's done is done, but they better crack down on players being on the field when they're not supposed to be or they'll have even more chaos on their hands. Also in the future if a call needs to be reversed an explanation should always be given.

Just my opinion but once things were announced and marked off, they should never have changed the ruling. It was a close judgement call and should have remained the way it was called. Now there will be calls to have penalties reviewed for accuracy. If they do that games will last 4-5 hours.

Re: One play

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

I have seen many games decided by one play, in every sport. I have seen bad calls by refs decide games, I have seen bad plays by players decide games and bad coaching decisions decide games. Heck I even saw a game where cheerleaders decided the game.
I've never seen one

Pass Interference should be a reviewable play in my opinion.

Hopefully the White Hat for Dallas-Detroit got reamed by NFL for the way he handled the whole deal. He certainly did not do the job one would think an NFL head Ref would do.

Of course I didn't see the game, but the one this year in Oaklahoma City, (I believe I'm correct on the location), involving Douglas High School in the playoffs was almost certainly decided by a really bad call, with a lot of help from the aggrieved team's coaches.

Google that, it's a real mess.

LT's win on the last play of the game against Monacan was decided by excellent officiating. I'm not sure many crews would have gotten this one right. So let's be sure we look at this thing from both directions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT