ADVERTISEMENT

Highland Springs vs. Patrick Henry

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
Another huge win for those dang Springers. This Friday they face a very physical Patrick Henry Patriot team. @springer76 or @HooSprings do either you think PH can keep it close, somehow pull the upset or will HSHS demolish another good opponent?

PH has a very physical team and a couple of excellent skill guys. Don’t think they’re anywhere as good as they were last year where HS came to Ashland and barely escaped with a win. I think this one will be good for a half or so, but HS will pull away. Springers have too much firepower. I do believe Hanover will give the Springers a very good game next week.

Another huge win for those dang Springers. This Friday they face a very physical Patrick Henry Patriot team. @springer76 or @HooSprings do either you think PH can keep it close, somehow pull the upset or will HSHS demolish another good opponent?
Are we talking about the same Patrick Henry team that just lost to Glen Allen? Anything is possible. Highland Springs has faced a very daunting,physical schedule thus far,and have not buckled yet. If your truly asking MY opinion….. I think we have a running clock by the end of the third-quarter.

Are we talking about the same Patrick Henry team that just lost to Glen Allen? Anything is possible. Highland Springs has faced a very daunting,physical schedule thus far,and have not buckled yet. If your truly asking MY opinion….. I think we have a running clock by the end of the third-quarter.
I agree! As it was with Colonial Forge. It was a hard-fought physical game until about 1 minute before halftime (7-0 HS). Then the hammer dropped! 2 long touchdown bombs in about 15 seconds made it 21-0 at the half, then HS had the ball to start the 3rd qtr., quickly 27-0... then it was a running clock before the 3rd quarter ended and the subs continued to score. This Springer team is loaded from top to bottom. O line and D line are massive and very good. Probably the most potent run attack in the state and probably the QB in the state to go with that run attack. Thus far, not Chambers, not Martinsburg, not Manchester, nobody has been able to stop Khristian Martin or Jakyre Henley! These 2 JUNIORS are the heartbeat of this team and apparently, they can't be stopped! I didn't even mention the receiving corps or the defensive backfield!!!
Game1 Chambers scored 3 tds on our defense. Since then, 5 games later, only Manchester scored a touchdown against the defense. Martinsburg was a shutout until they kicked a field goal with 2 seconds remaining in the 4th qtr. In 6 games PF 289 PA 30

Last edited:
PH has a very physical team and a couple of excellent skill guys. Don’t think they’re anywhere as good as they were last year where HS came to Ashland and barely escaped with a win. I think this one will be good for a half or so, but HS will pull away. Springers have too much firepower. I do believe Hanover will give the Springers a very good game next week.
I wouldn’t say “barely escaped” 😂

Reactions: Thomasddev
I read the same thing. I guess when you’re ahead by three touchdowns midway through the fourth quarter, that is barely escaping. I can’t express this enough to people….THIS is not LAST year’s HSHS team. This team is a monster. They are extremely big,fast,experienced,and physical in the trenches. Someone would have to show me a better group of skill position players. most teams will have one, two,or maybe three excellent skill position players. That’s not Enough! This team is special.

HS has played a juggernaut 1st half of this season. Only the #1 team in NC came close to beating us. The rest was no match for HS's starters, in the 2nd half of the rest of these games, HS was playing the 2nd and 3rd stringers and were still scoring on and shutting out the opponents. It's hard to even compete with a team that is this DEEP in talent! Wait until next year!:oops: A strong core will return...

I read the same thing. I guess when you’re ahead by three touchdowns midway through the fourth quarter, that is barely escaping. I can’t express this enough to people….THIS is not LAST year’s HSHS team. This team is a monster. They are extremely big,fast,experienced,and physical in the trenches. Someone would have to show me a better group of skill position players. most teams will have one, two,or maybe three excellent skill position players. That’s not Enough! This team is special.
HS beat them by 2 TDs and it was close all game. PH was the 3rd best team in the area last year behind Varina and HS but they probably aren’t even in the top 10 in terms of talent this year.

The only team at any level across the state that I think might give HSHS a bit of a challenge is Green Run. Do I think that GR can beat the Springers? Not really. But I think they can score on the Springers. I just don't think they can score enough to match what they would give up.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
The only team at any level across the state that I think might give HSHS a bit of a challenge is Green Run. Do I think that GR can beat the Springers? Not really. But I think they can score on the Springers. I just don't think they can score enough to match what they would give up.
I think that Varina and highland springs both teams will be undefeated when they play each other. This is my personal opinion I think Varina will be the best team that highland springs would have played this year. Win or lose highland springs will not dominate Varina I think it will be a game going into the 4th quarter. I just don't want to see these two teams battling it out for bragging rights and players getting injured and both teams going into the playoffs banged up. Regardless what happens in this game both teams probably will be the number one seed in their division.

HS beat them by 2 TDs and it was close all game. PH was the 3rd best team in the area last year behind Varina and HS but they probably aren’t even in the top 10 in terms of talent this year.
Highland springs led by three scores midway through the fourth quarter when Patrick Henry scored on some of the reserves to get it back to two scores. Yes, Patrick Henry hit them early,but once Martin hit the big tight end 35 yards down the seam right before the half,for a TD,the Springers never looked back. As I said in an earlier post, I expect a running clock in this year’s game by the middle of the third-quarter. This is not last year.

I have not seen freedom play. They absolutely took Stonebridge behind the woodshed. I’m anxious to see what happens when Green run play some real competition.

Highland springs led by three scores midway through the fourth quarter when Patrick Henry scored on some of the reserves to get it back to two scores. Yes, Patrick Henry hit them early,but once Martin hit the big tight end 35 yards down the seam right before the half,for a TD,the Springers never looked back. As I said in an earlier post, I expect a running clock in this year’s game by the middle of the third-quarter. This is not last year.
I wouldn’t expect anything less. PH lost 4 FCS kids & barely beat Atlee this year, on top of losing to a weaker Glen Allen team. I expect a 49-7 kind of game. One thing I always commend the Ashland kids is they’re no where intimidated by the Varina’s, Highland Springs’, or any of the top metro schools in football. I coached against them last year and our kids were kind of intimidated by them and we still beat them. Tough kids that will give HS a solid look, but the Springers will not have any trouble.

I think that Varina and highland springs both teams will be undefeated when they play each other. This is my personal opinion I think Varina will be the best team that highland springs would have played this year. Win or lose highland springs will not dominate Varina I think it will be a game going into the 4th quarter. I just don't want to see these two teams battling it out for bragging rights and players getting injured and both teams going into the playoffs banged up. Regardless what happens in this game both teams probably will be the number one seed in their division.
I respect your opinion,but it’s wrong. Varina just struggled with Hanover,and they weren’t exactly world beaters against Hermitage. You really think Varina would beat Chambers?! I can’t agree with your opinion on that. I too expected both teams will be undefeated as well, but if you think L.Johnson is going to play that game to not get hurt, you’re sadly mistaken. Depth is not an issue with this monster. With all the crap that’s been said to these kids & staff since then…no way they lay down like they did last year. I can promise you, he will not leave it up to an extra point.

just wondering….when is Varina gonna grow some hair on their chest & play a schedule like HSHS plays?! Armstrong is not exactly Martinsburg,CForge,or chambers.

I agree somewhat Hoos. Varina and Chambers will be the Springers two toughest opponents hands down. I think Varina matches up well with Chambers but they’re not going 4 hours to Charlotte and beating them the way HS did. I was expecting Varina to beat Herm much worse after the beating Hopewell and Dale put on the Panthers. Credit to Herm’s kids for keeping it close but that game raised my eyebrows on Varina. I said it on the 4A board and I’ll repeat it on here. Varina has no offensive identity. They have three 3 stars and two more kids with Marshall offers playing the same position. They don’t have a consistent running game and their playcalling can be predictable. Last year they had an unbelievable run where they beat a damn good Powhatan team, beat arguably the best skill position team in King George on the road, beat PH in literally the final seconds, beat King’s Fork who was arguably the best Class 4 team all year and then won it all. That’s the most impressive run I’ve ever seen besides Louisa in 2017. I don’t know if the Blue Devils are constructed for that this year. They certainly have the talent.. They have too much talent if you ask me and idk if their staff can manage that like LJ and company can.

Reactions: FoxesPride
That's why I don't like to post things on here it was just my opinion never said who was going to win varina or highland springs just said she'll probably be a good game and be close never said anything about Armstrong Hanover Hermitage or Coach Johnson slacking up which I think both teams did last year. And prizes to win the championship not a game for bragging rights. I love highland springs but dislike the fans very conceited think that highland springs is God's gift to football.

Reactions: OCBoy

I think you are correct sir. It will likely be a good and close game between Varina and HSHS. Varina deserves respect for beating the Springers and winning the state title last year, but I do expect Highland Springs to the victor in the battle of the East End. yes, the Springer posters are a little cocky at times, but they deserve to crow about the squad they have. Besides I know @springer76 and he is a good dude.

The only thing I do disagree with you on is the statement about Varina being a top seed. If they win out then darn skippy they will be and it will not be close. Lose and either King George or Dinwiddie can outpoint them if either or both win out. No matter what the Region B champion is going to be severely battle tested. Thanks for your takes and keep them coming. That's what this board is all about.

I think you are correct sir. It will likely be a good and close game between Varina and HSHS. Varina deserves respect for beating the Springers and winning the state title last year, but I do expect Highland Springs to the victor in the battle of the East End. yes, the Springer posters are a little cocky at times, but they deserve to crow about the squad they have. Besides I know @springer76 and he is a good dude.

The only thing I do disagree with you on is the statement about Varina being a top seed. If they win out then darn skippy they will be and it will not be close. Lose and either King George or Dinwiddie can outpoint them if either or both win out. No matter what the Region B champion is going to be severely battle tested. Thanks for your takes and keep them coming. That's what this board is all abou

That's why I don't like to post things on here it was just my opinion never said who was going to win varina or highland springs just said she'll probably be a good game and be close never said anything about Armstrong Hanover Hermitage or Coach Johnson slacking up which I think both teams did last year. And prizes to win the championship not a game for bragging rights. I love highland springs but dislike the fans very conceited think that highland springs is God's gift to football.
Your team has flip-flopped HSHS from last yr. Your team had the incredible chemistry last yr that pushed you to your title. HS did not have that chemistry last year. They have it this year and from what I have seen other posters right, it looks like Varina is struggling to get that chemistry on offense this year. For the record, I still think both of us will be raising the trophy at the end of the year.

The only thing I do disagree with you on is the statement about Varina being a top seed. If they win out then darn skippy they will be and it will not be close. Lose and either King George or Dinwiddie can outpoint them if either or both win out. No matter what the Region B champion is going to be severely battle tested. Thanks for your takes and keep them coming. That's what this board is all about. was that cocky or insightful?
Thanks for the compliment BN! I usually try not to be too cocky about my team. I try to give my honest opinion though... and that opinion of them IS as I have previously stated! It had been stated in 2018 about that team being the best that HSHS has ever had. TRUE. This year's squad looks a lot like that one... + my opinion of the 2022 version, they look just as good if not even better. Over the past 5 weeks, it's hard to spot any weaknesses.

Highland springs didn't barely escape with a win last year at PH, I was at the game pop
I agree! As it was with Colonial Forge. It was a hard-fought physical game until about 1 minute before halftime (7-0 HS). Then the hammer dropped! 2 long touchdown bombs in about 15 seconds made it 21-0 at the half, then HS had the ball to start the 3rd qtr., quickly 27-0... then it was a running clock before the 3rd quarter ended and the subs continued to score. This Springer team is loaded from top to bottom. O line and D line are massive and very good. Probably the most potent run attack in the state and probably the QB in the state to go with that run attack. Thus far, not Chambers, not Martinsburg, not Manchester, nobody has been able to stop Khristian Martin or Jakyre Henley! These 2 JUNIORS are the heartbeat of this team and apparently, they can't be stopped! I didn't even mention the receiving corps or the defensive backfield!!!
Game1 Chambers scored 3 tds on our defense. Since then, 5 games later, only Manchester scored a touchdown against the defense. Martinsburg was a shutout until they kicked a field goal with 2 seconds remaining in the 4th qtr. In 6 games PF 289 PA 30
Correction Chambers only scored 2 touchdowns on our defense, don't forget we gifted them a td on the botched punt. Also, we should have shutout Manchester but the refs made a ball call on the Manchester player fumbling the ball on a fair catch and they scored on that drive.

Yeah I was at that game last year at PH, and HSHS was up by 3 tds through most of the 3rd and 4th quarter. PH scored a td with 1 minute left on the clock when the backups were in. HS still won by 2 tds.

I don't think HSHS will have to worry about Green Run because I don't see GR beating Maury. Maury has dominated Tidewater class 5 for the past 4 years and i don't see that changing this year. The only they lost to was a very good New Bern team from NC.

I respect your opinion,but it’s wrong. Varina just struggled with Hanover,and they weren’t exactly world beaters against Hermitage. You really think Varina would beat Chambers?! I can’t agree with your opinion on that. I too expected both teams will be undefeated as well, but if you think L.Johnson is going to play that game to not get hurt, you’re sadly mistaken. Depth is not an issue with this monster. With all the crap that’s been said to these kids & staff since then…no way they lay down like they did last year. I can promise you, he will not leave it up to an extra point.

just wondering….when is Varina gonna grow some hair on their chest & play a schedule like HSHS plays?! Armstrong is not exactly Martinsburg,CForge,or chambers.
Varina is talented but losing a kid like Ant Fisher is a major set back for them this year. Chemistry played a major role in hshs losing last year. I feel Varina got weaker this year but hshs got stronger. Varina will be prepared for hshs this year but I don't think they have the depth at skill positions or in the trenches to keep up with hs this year for 4 quarters. I believe hs will beat them by 2 tds this year. I'm just praying for no injuries on both teams so the east end can have 2 state champions. I was talking to one of Varina coaches in August and I asked him why they didn't play a more competitive schedule because it would have prepared him for the states this year. Kings Fork and Dinwiddie are no joke this year.

I agree somewhat Hoos. Varina and Chambers will be the Springers two toughest opponents hands down. I think Varina matches up well with Chambers but they’re not going 4 hours to Charlotte and beating them the way HS did. I was expecting Varina to beat Herm much worse after the beating Hopewell and Dale put on the Panthers. Credit to Herm’s kids for keeping it close but that game raised my eyebrows on Varina. I said it on the 4A board and I’ll repeat it on here. Varina has no offensive identity. They have three 3 stars and two more kids with Marshall offers playing the same position. They don’t have a consistent running game and their playcalling can be predictable. Last year they had an unbelievable run where they beat a damn good Powhatan team, beat arguably the best skill position team in King George on the road, beat PH in literally the final seconds, beat King’s Fork who was arguably the best Class 4 team all year and then won it all. That’s the most impressive run I’ve ever seen besides Louisa in 2017. I don’t know if the Blue Devils are constructed for that this year. They certainly have the talent.. They have too much talent if you ask me and idk if their staff can manage that like LJ and company can.
Varina didn't have an offensive identity last year but they did have Ant Fisher the Swiss army knife and one hell of a leader. When times got tough last year they would put Ant Fisher at qb and he would make something happen. That is not the case, they barely beat Hanover last week.

Varina didn't have an offensive identity last year but they did have Ant Fisher the Swiss army knife and one hell of a leader. When times got tough last year they would put Ant Fisher at qb and he would make something happen. That is not the case, they barely beat Hanover last week.
I agree. I’m not a guru, but we beat those guys by taking that deep ball that they won 100% of those playoff games with, away. Gotta have your safety spy and your corners can’t get caught underneath or they’ll make you pay. We got 5 interceptions off of them in the spring season and totally abandoned the game plan last year with the same personnel. That’s Varina’s only identity. They throw it up and one of their studs goes and gets it. Paige, Barry Hill, Ant Fisher, Keys, etc. They’ve been LOADED. The past 4 years, Varina has had 2 very good QBs who could fling it and their best QB out of them all is just a sophomore this year.

Chambers was a good win for Highland Springs, but they are a bit down this year, so not sure I'd stick them at #1. I think they'll be alright come playoffs depending on who they get. Like I mentioned a few weeks ago, just not sure there's a really good team in the Carolinas. Dutch Fork hung with St Frances for about the first quarter and a half... don't remember the final score, but wasn't that close. Actually been trending that way for a couple seasons now imo.

Chambers was a good win for Highland Springs, but they are a bit down this year, so not sure I'd stick them at #1. I think they'll be alright come playoffs depending on who they get. Like I mentioned a few weeks ago, just not sure there's a really good team in the Carolinas. Dutch Fork hung with St Frances for about the first quarter and a half... don't remember the final score, but wasn't that close. Actually been trending that way for a couple seasons now imo.
Chambers had just beaten the team that beat them in the state finals the week before they played highland springs. Concepcion was still healthy enough to be on the field on both sides of the ball. They got beat up against Highland Springs. When Highland Springs beat them, they were ranked number one team in the state in every poll. They are down right now,because the injury bug has bit them in the backside. But,they still had enough to go toe-to-toe with Hough. I seriously doubt there are very many teams in Virginia that could hold Hough to 16 points. Just because you say North Carolina football is down this year. That doesn’t mean it’s not better than Virginia football. New Bern already beat one of Va’s top teams,Maury, for a second year in a row. I’m not sure there are many teams that you could name in Virginia that would beat Dutch Fork. I don’t like to speculate. i’m just hoping one of those teams is on the schedule to play Highland Springs next year.

If I’m not mistaken, wasn’t HSHS rumored to play Quince Orchard (Md) next season
I do know for a fact, Highland Springs will not schedule any private schools! They will only play public schools, and they typically will only play schools with similar enrollment numbers.

Reactions: edwinanderson2nd
Freedom is D6
I saw the game on NFHS. It was their first game of the season. Freedom took a big lead and never relinquished it. Stone Bridge looked very young and inexperienced. They are so well coached that I'm sure they are beginning to get their feet under themselves now. They will be in the "mix" as always.

Well, it wasn't real pretty. HS played a bit sloppy! Too many penalties and we about 4 starters out tonight for some reason. ??? The outcome was what was expected 48-3. 21-3 halftime. Subs played most of the 3rd qtr. and all of the 4th, they scored 27 of the 48!

Congrats to the Springers and their faithful fans @springer76 and @HooSprings. Hoping HSHS wins out. Keep crowing fellows your team deserves it.

Not trying to look too far ahead, but 11/3/22 Varina vs. Highland Springs and 11/4/22 Dale vs. Dinwiddie could make for one heck of a fun two days of high school football. 4 likely undefeated teams going at it for the tops seeds in their perspective classes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT