• Highland Springs

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Maury

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
The 804 vs. 757 vattle continues. 2-0 Highland Springs bumps heads with 1-0 Maury. The Springers defeated the Commodores in last year's Class 5 State Final. Who ya got?

The 804 vs. 757 vattle continues. 2-0 Highland Springs bumps heads with 1-0 Maury. The Springers defeated the Commodores in last year's Class 5 State Final. Who ya got?
Right now I feel like this Maury's shot at getting springs in a close game. But I will say this as maury coaches have said this isn't a rivalry till the other team wins. But tickets go on sale Monday and I expect Powhatan field to be rocking come Friday. Now I just wait for hoosprings to hop on here and do his usual hype train and saying springs gots 75 all American players with ten nfl HOFs is why springs will win.......🤣🤣🤣
Jk

Right now I feel like this Maury's shot at getting springs in a close game. But I will say this as maury coaches have said this isn't a rivalry till the other team wins. But tickets go on sale Monday and I expect Powhatan field to be rocking come Friday. Now I just wait for hoosprings to hop on here and do his usual hype train and saying springs gots 75 all American players with ten nfl HOFs is why springs will win.......🤣🤣🤣
Jk
Someone predicted Highland Springs to open season 0-3. They are 2-0! Highland Springs is 3-0 under Johnson against Maury(he’s actually undefeated vs 757). Martin looks great at QB through the first 2 games. Battle tested would be an understatement. Put the ball down and let’s play!

Is the game being played at ODU or at Maury?

Tell em @HooSprings! Don't you sway. Stand tall for HSHS and the 804. @Agibbs757, I believe it's been tit for tat on the recruiting talk. 757 folks have reminded us often about the All Star team and big time recruits playing for the Maury. I just hope the Commodores defense doesn't come out like a brick house, the Springers offense is too hot to trot and @springer76 young men win easy like Sunday morning. Now it's time for me to sail on down the line. Have a good weekend fellas.

Someone predicted Highland Springs to open season 0-3. They are 2-0! Highland Springs is 3-0 under Johnson against Maury(he’s actually undefeated vs 757). Martin looks great at QB through the first 2 games. Battle tested would be an understatement. Put the ball down and let’s play!

ODU

Last edited:

At Powhatan field behind odu

Reactions: HooSprings
Gonna be a great game. Maury coaches said something very interesting in their recent interview. This is only their 6th or 7th year coming up, so even with the success they've had, they've really still been in the growth stage of their program and are now really looking to take the next step. I believe they go on to win the C5 championship either way but this feels like a must win for Maury. Maury by 1 score.

Reactions: Agibbs757
Gonna be a great game. Maury coaches said something very interesting in their recent interview. This is only their 6th or 7th year coming up, so even with the success they've had, they've really still been in the growth stage of their program and are now really looking to take the next step. I believe they go on to win the C5 championship either way but this feels like a must win for Maury. Maury by 1 score.
I think the game will be a dandy for sure! This is Maury's year to claim the Class 5 Title. With Stone Bridge sitting at 0-2. they could conceivably go 1-4 or 0-5 with the extremely strong schedule they chose. I understand SB was hit with several "major" injuries. Maybe they'll turn it around but it's going to be tough! I think they'll make the playoffs, but won't get a favorable seeding.

I think the game will be a dandy for sure! This is Maury's year to claim the Class 5 Title. With Stone Bridge sitting at 0-2. they could conceivably go 1-4 or 0-5 with the extremely strong schedule they chose. I understand SB was hit with several "major" injuries. Maybe they'll turn it around but it's going to be tough! I think they'll make the playoffs, but won't get a favorable seeding.
Yeah looking at the schedule they be definitely on the road for the playoff. Think they banked on the first three being winnable games which they could have won the first but they definitely need the woodgroove game because them two Maryland team are probably Ls

Yeah looking at the schedule they be definitely on the road for the playoff. Think they banked on the first three being winnable games which they could have won the first but they definitely need the woodgroove game because them two Maryland team are probably Ls
These 2 games they will most likely lose!
Thu, 9/14
12:00pm
Quince Orchard
Quince OrchardGaithersburg, MD
Away • Non-Region
Preview
Fri, 9/22
7:00pm
Our Lady of Good Counsel
Our Lady of Good CounselOlney, MD

Reactions: Agibbs757
Tell em @HooSprings! Don't you sway. Stand tall for HSHS and the 804. @Agibbs757, I believe it's been tit for tat on the recruiting talk. 757 folks have reminded us often about the All Star team and big time recruits playing for the Maury. I just hope the Commodores defense doesn't come out like a brick house, the Springers offense is too hot to trot and @springer76 young men win easy like Sunday morning. Now it's time for me to sail on down the line. Have a good weekend fellas.
You know the 804 crowd outnumbers the 757 guys here and we don't even have to be in the conversation without someone from the 804 bringing up how the 804 owns the 757 (lil brother always wants the shine).

Maury vs HS might be the game of the season. I'm naturally pulling for Maury and think they can win, but I feel Maury is the underdog until they get the W. I was at the Maury vs Wise game until the start of the 4th. Wise is no slouch and I have wondered for a few years what would happen if they and Quince Orchard played a VA power. Coach Parrish has built a program that mirrors our best programs in a lot of ways, despite a lot of the elite talent in the DMV going the private route. From my little experience with him, he is a good guy and loves the kids. They were in talks with at least OS and a Richmond area school in the spring of 2022, but week 0 was a problem for them. Wise had the size advantage on the line and the game went back in forth in the first half. I'd say Maury had the better drives all night, while Wise broke the bigger plays in the the first half. Maury came out in the second half and struck early and kept the momentum for good. Wise's punt game hurt them quite a bit and I was surprised Maury didn't go to the deep attack more. Overall, a fun game, great atmosphere, and Maury traveled well. Maybe I was too far away, but I sat on the Maury side and didn't hear any trash talking that others have complained about in the past.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
You know the 804 crowd outnumbers the 757 guys here and we don't even have to be in the conversation without someone from the 804 bringing up how the 804 owns the 757 (lil brother always wants the shine).

Maury vs HS might be the game of the season. I'm naturally pulling for Maury and think they can win, but I feel Maury is the underdog until they get the W. I was at the Maury vs Wise game until the start of the 4th. Wise is no slouch and I have wondered for a few years what would happen if they and Quince Orchard played a VA power. Coach Parrish has built a program that mirrors our best programs in a lot of ways, despite a lot of the elite talent in the DMV going the private route. From my little experience with him, he is a good guy and loves the kids. They were in talks with at least OS and a Richmond area school in the spring of 2022, but week 0 was a problem for them. Wise had the size advantage on the line and the game went back in forth in the first half. I'd say Maury had the better drives all night, while Wise broke the bigger plays in the the first half. Maury came out in the second half and struck early and kept the momentum for good. Wise's punt game hurt them quite a bit and I was surprised Maury didn't go to the deep attack more. Overall, a fun game, great atmosphere, and Maury traveled well. Maybe I was too far away, but I sat on the Maury side and didn't hear any trash talking that others have complained about in the past.
Today's game. Quince Orchard 33 South County 0

Stonebridge will be fine come playoff time, whether they have to go on the road or not playoff time. Honestly they could have started off 1-3 or 0-4 last year. They beat Madison by a last minute field goal 17-16, then they barely beat Centerville by a td the following game, they lost to Freedom the following game, and then they barely beat Colonial Forge at home 20-14 late in the 4th quarter. They have started off a little slow in the past few years but they figure it out by playoff time. They are going to run through all of the Northern and Western teams in class 5 as well as 804 teams in class 5, now that HSHS is gone. I think they will get to class 5 championship this year, even with 4 losses, but Maury will be too much for them this year.

I'll take Springs in this one. Springs has well balanced attack on offense. They seem to be a a sum of all their parts more so than years of the past... which I think is a good thing. I have been impressed with their QB play. I agree that Maury will win C5 state title. I think that this game will be back and forth and very similar to the Manchester game. I know Maury has a whale of a team and program. I can't wait to see them play Dinwiddie the following week. Maury still has to play Lake Taylor who has a big game against Hopewell this week. That should tell us if LT can be a realistic obstacle for Maury this year. Maury scheduled elite OOD opponents but I think they will be far and away much better than their district opponents. 31-27 HSHS

@mbonape1 , I am glad you are looking forward to Dinwiddie playing Maury. I like the challenge, but I believe we are a huge underdog. I agree on C. Martin. He is making sound decisions and he has made some back shoulder and cross field throws that were on a rope. If healthy the HSHS running game can give Maury fits. This may be the game of the year. Go Springers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomasddev
@mbonape1 , I am glad you are looking forward to Dinwiddie playing Maury. I like the challenge, but I believe we are a huge underdog. I agree on C. Martin. He is making sound decisions and he has made some back shoulder and cross field throws that were on a rope. If healthy the HSHS running game can give Maury fits. This may be the game of the year. Go Springers!
I've heard that 1 of the 3 rbs will be fine, no word on the other 2. Also, Cole Varner should be ready to play this week. He's been injured too.

I've heard that 1 of the 3 rbs will be fine, no word on the other 2. Also, Cole Varner should be ready to play this week. He's been injured too.
Even without the other 2 backs or Cole Varner, HSHS has 3 other backs that are really good but for some odd reason the coaching staff has elected to keep them off the field. One of those backs scored 2 rushing tds in the scrimmage against Dinwiddie and one 40 yard rushing td against Dale starting defense in the their scrimmage. I guess we will see these backs closer to playoff time or maybe against Maury since 2 of 3 starting rbs will be out.

Even without the other 2 backs or Cole Varner, HSHS has 3 other backs that are really good but for some odd reason the coaching staff has elected to keep them off the field. One of those backs scored 2 rushing tds in the scrimmage against Dinwiddie and one 40 yard rushing td against Dale starting defense in the their scrimmage. I guess we will see these backs closer to playoff time or maybe against Maury since 2 of 3 starting rbs will be out.
I'm not too worried about it. The Springers' team IS deep. There's another one that can play a mean RB is one of our touted DBs.

I'm not too worried about it. The Springers' team IS deep. There's another one that can play a mean RB is one of our touted DBs.
HS has an embarrassment of riches. If you could bottle what LJ has brought to that program and community you’d be Warren Buffett. At this point I am slight jealous but hey, maybe we have a good field hockey team or something IDK.

Dinwiddie only gave up a 70 yard TD in the scrimmage vs HS which was a screen

Johnson's previous recipe to beating Maury has been ball control. If the Springers can establish the running game it will keep the Commodores improved defense from pinning their ears back and applying pressure. As good as Maury's db's are Martin can and will have success if he has time to throw. Another key is using the Commodores pursuit and aggressiveness against them by Martin running when there are lanes and using Henley on an occasional reverse. The team that wins the trenches and does the little things the best will win this game.

Last edited:
HS has an embarrassment of riches. If you could bottle what LJ has brought to that program and community you’d be Warren Buffett. At this point I am slight jealous but hey, maybe we have a good field hockey team or something IDK.
The coach's son has been seen in the back field a time or two or three before... I wouldn't be surprised! Then there's the magician! J. Henley!

Last edited:
Maury. They built a dream team for games just like this.
I'm not mad at them, I like what McCain is doing over it seems like he is getting a lot of his players in college and it is a good look for the state for players at Maury and HSHS going to college and performing well on the next level. Plus HSHS ain't ducking no smoke.

Reactions: springer76
I'm not mad at them, I like what McCain is doing over it seems like he is getting a lot of his players in college and it is a good look for the state for players at Maury and HSHS going to college and performing well on the next level. Plus HSHS ain't ducking no smoke.
I hope Maury has finally built "the dream team" that can win them a State Title this is their year! HS has moved on to bigger and better things and Stone Bridge seems to be stumbling... Coach McCain has made a huge impact on the kids he's coached and continues to coach! He's an outstanding coach and an asset to the 757.
The Springers are coming to see what 'cha got... we are pretty used to "smoke"!

Reactions: Thomasddev
I don't think they get the Lionel Ritchie/Walter Orange references. They Zoomed over their heads 🤣

Springers fans came on here thumping their chest worried about Freedom and are now getting punched in the mouth. Meanwhile, Freedom is in a 1 point game with powerhouse Dematha.

Reactions: OnlyVA and CavsGrad
Maury IS the strongest team on HS's schedule. We came out of those deadly 3 games 2-1. Springers have some issues to clean up for sure, but they'll be in the hunt in the end! Still some good matchups to come but the toughest part is over...until playoffs... Maury was definitely the best team tonight! Interestingly enough, Maury travels to Dinwiddie to face the Generals next week. This one could be interesting too.

Last edited:
Springers fans came on here thumping their chest worried about Freedom and are now getting punched in the mouth. Meanwhile, Freedom is in a 1 point game with powerhouse Dematha.
I posted before the start of this season that when DeMatha played Phoebus the Stags fans thought they were going to boat race the Phantoms. The final was 24-20. The 2 years (15/16) that I covered DeMatha I did not find them to be that much better than their top opponents and not a powerhouse on the national level. Freedom, as a defending D6 champion, should be in a 1 point game with the Stags.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT