ADVERTISEMENT

Highland Springs will host Martinsburg

Who will win?

• Martinsburg WV

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Highland Springs

Votes: 33 60.0%

• Total voters
I agree inexcusable, but were they bad calls? I only saw two - long run at the end (flag in the backfield for chop block came out immediately) and the jump ball in the first half which probably should've been intercepted.
Two defenders and two receivers go up for a ball our receiver comes down with it and goes to the end zone…..but somehow it was a forward lateral. Ummm okay but it should have been intercepted. Is that because HSHS has superior athletes or is us country folk in Martinsburg better than anticipated.

The Springers are loaded and top 100 ranked nationally. I don’t see 2 teams on THIS schedule capable of beating them. The only one that will even give them a game is Vance,and I’ll gladly take HS as they open their new home field. Another “magical” year is coming!
I see one team capable for sure.

Two defenders and two receivers go up for a ball our receiver comes down with it and goes to the end zone…..but somehow it was a forward lateral. Ummm okay but it should have been intercepted. Is that because HSHS has superior athletes or is us country folk in Martinsburg better than anticipated.

I'm a NC guy. To me it looked like your QB just chucked it up for grabs, one of your guys caught it and another one took it away from him. Debatable. That's one call. Happens every game.

Lol. Dude. Your RB overthrew a WR by about 15 yds almost directly to a Highland Springs safety. You still won. I don't know what you're so upset about.
I used to live in Hagerstown, MD and watched the Bulldogs many a time, especially in the playoffs. The Charleston press doesn’t always show them respect because they’re way up in the panhandle. The teams they play regularly and far western Maryland knows Martinsburg is a good program. Highland Springs is in the Richmond area. Just consider his reactions the Charleston affect.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
The officiating was fine. Martinsburg is just a talented but undisciplined team.
Lol. Dude. Your RB overthrew a WR by about 15 yds almost directly to a Highland Springs safety. You still won. I don't know what you're so upset about.
That wasn’t the TD called back, but your right, I need to stop complaining and be grateful we won the game. Have a great evening.

The talent is not the same. Martinsburg is very talented, but HS is More talented. You got outcoached, period. Our Coach is better than your coach, period. That doesn't mean your coach is bad. He's not bad. But, we are a very, very, very superior coached team for a High School Team in any state in the country. Not saying our talent is the greatest. It's good talent, but not the greatest or best by any means, but from a coaching perspective, we are ELITELY coached for a High School Program and that was the difference in the game tonight. It has been the difference in the two contests with Salem where us and Salem are equal in talent. Literally, carbon copies, but again, a coaching disparity exists that's worth about 14 points every time we take the field.

Reactions: springer76
A few penalties here and there fine, but 120 yards and 3TD’s called back is inexcusable. We got the dub. That’s all that matters.
If you chop block it helps you score. Martinsburg has been plagued by penalties this whole season

Reactions: LionNation540
The talent is not the same. Martinsburg is very talented, but HS is More talented. You got outcoached, period. Our Coach is better than your coach, period. That doesn't mean your coach is bad. He's not bad. But, we are a very, very, very superior coached team for a High School Team in any state in the country. Not saying our talent is the greatest. It's good talent, but not the greatest or best by any means, but from a coaching perspective, we are ELITELY coached for a High School Program and that was the difference in the game tonight. It has been the difference in the two contests with Salem where us and Salem are equal in talent. Literally, carbon copies, but again, a coaching disparity exists that's worth about 14 points every time we take the field.
How, specifically, was HS out-coached? Give detailed examples.

If HS doesn't fumble at the end of the long run, and they end up winning, were they still out-coached?

If HS doesn't miss 3 PATs, and they end up winning, were they still out-coached?

Reactions: mbonape1
I agree inexcusable, but were they bad calls? I only saw two - long run at the end (flag in the backfield for chop block came out immediately) and the jump ball in the first half which probably should've been intercepted.
I couldn't tell what happened with the jump ball. Would of had to be at the game. Maybe an inadvertent whistle or they called him down when they were fighting for the ball.

If you chop block it helps you score. Martinsburg has been plagued by penalties this whole season
Yea, that’s our game. We chop block every play, especially our TD’s, and hope the refs overlook it. We’re known for that. That’s how we roll. The officials in the Richmond area are just too wise. HSHS got screwed. They are clearly the better team.

Yea, that’s our game. We chop block every play, especially our TD’s, and hope the refs overlook it. We’re known for that. That’s how we roll. The officials in the Richmond area are just too wise. HSHS got screwed. They are clearly the better team.
What is your problem?

That's not what I said. You chopped blocked on that play. Just be thankful you play in WV and don't have to play games like this every week in the playoffs

Seriously, you are right. Penalties have been our nemesis. Just frustrated that not 1, not 2, but 3 touchdowns were called back.

Reactions: SFUWO
Seriously, you are right. Penalties have been our nemesis. Just frustrated that not 1, not 2, but 3 touchdowns were called back.
Penalties and mistakes hurt you in the Salem game too. Muffed punt. The good thing is Martinsburg is good enough to still win

That's not what I said. You chopped blocked on that play. Just be thankful you play in WV and don't have to play games like this every week in the playoffs
Penalties and mistakes hurt you in the Salem game too. Muffed punt. The good thing is Martinsburg is good enough to still win
100% agree. Sorry If I come off sideways. I get frustrated and the message board is therapeutic.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: SFUWO
I used to live in Hagerstown, MD and watched the Bulldogs many a time, especially in the playoffs. The Charleston press doesn’t always show them respect because they’re way up in the panhandle. The teams they play regularly and far western Maryland knows Martinsburg is a good program. Highland Springs is in the Richmond area. Just consider his reactions the Charleston affect.
Well spoken and true.

I’m too tired to get the rule reference. Just finished watching the game. By rule, when the martinsburg player came down with possession it’s an illegal forward handoff to the next player who is in advance of him to take said ball and run with it.

Someone put out an APB on Hoosprings… He has gone missing…Not a single peep from him!!! How did all those D1 prospects workout for HSHS??? Inquiring minds would like to know!!! Top 100 this and D1 That got beat by a collective team!!! #Fact

Someone put out an APB on Hoosprings… He has gone missing…Not a single peep from him!!! How did all those D1 prospects workout for HSHS??? Inquiring minds would like to know!!! Top 100 this and D1 That got beat by a collective team!!! #Fact
I did comment last night and I’ll say the same now….3 extra points were the difference,not the players. Our D1s did their thing.and got offers from THEIR home colleges. The loss doesn’t keep me up at night,seeing the player improvement from game 1. I’m not happy with some of the coaching decisions,but mistakes in the game were the difference. We on to next week,and my D1s will be headed for Saturdays in the future. When the best player in YOUR state can only draw Bowling green,and the VA kids get that WVU offer,it speaks volumes. Good win for M’burg,and we’ll see you next yr. Maybe MB can correct on a few penalties by then.

I did comment last night and I’ll say the same now….3 extra points were the difference,not the players. Our D1s did their thing.and got offers from THEIR home colleges. The loss doesn’t keep me up at night,seeing the player improvement from game 1. I’m not happy with some of the coaching decisions,but mistakes in the game were the difference. We on to next week,and my D1s will be headed for Saturdays in the future. When the best player in YOUR state can only draw Bowling green,and the VA kids get that WVU offer,it speaks volumes. Good win for M’burg,and we’ll see you next yr. Maybe MB can correct on a few penalties by then.
Its wasn't three extra points. It was a three touchdown difference. Without the home cooking the Dawgs win big! From what I saw the wrong team has D1 offers. Maybe some scouts will take note after this game and reevaluate who and who they're not offering.

Sounds like this game could have gone either way. Haven’t checked it out yet….what were the yardage totals and plus/minus on turnovers? Any big differences? I will say that this is Highland Springs 3rd loss in their last 5 games (albeit all against really good teams).

Wrong answer…without the 3 bogus calls that took away 3 TD’s which you did not mention this game is a runaway!!! The result was expected!!!

I couldn't tell what happened with the jump ball. Would of had to be at the game. Maybe an inadvertent whistle or they called him down when they were fighting for the ball.
#26 for Martinsburg caught the pass and handed off to #3 who ran it in for td. Ref ruled he handed it forward. I'm 804 the low block on the td run was questionable and there was a block in the back flag thrown from 40 yards away that was bogus.

Reactions: taylercam
#26 for Martinsburg caught the pass and handed off to #3 who ran it in for td. Ref ruled he handed it forward. I'm 804 the low block on the td run was questionable and there was a block in the back flag thrown from 40 yards away that was bogus.
I'm not going to complain about refs calls. They do miss some. I'm sure if we break down the game we can find a lot of calls that could have been made either way. If they gain an advantage because of an infraction then a flag is thrown. If not they usually won't throw it. Just warn the player or coach. As a fan you will always see calls made as bogus or home cooking. As a neutral fan the refs managed this game well. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Martinsburg get flagged for the same thing vs Salem? There is nothing in the rules book that says a ref can't throw a flag from 40 yrds away if he sees a block in the back.

Its wasn't three extra points. It was a three touchdown difference. Without the home cooking the Dawgs win big! From what I saw the wrong team has D1 offers. Maybe some scouts will take note after this game and reevaluate who and who they're not offering.
The wrong team has D1 offers? That is laughable! 3 touchdown difference? You must have been at the wrong game? You do realize that HS was flagged just as much as MHS. That is how the referees are here!! We are used to it. You won by 1 point, not 3 tds! HS missed 3 xtra points and that was the difference. As I have already stated twice on this thread, Congratulations to Martinsburg Football, you won the game and that's it. It was a good experience for HS's very young team and will learn from it. I am 100% sure that it was a good experience for your football program too. It will not determine whether we make the playoffs or not. We will be there and I do believe our team will go far in those playoffs too.
Good luck to the Bulldogs for the rest of the season and we'll see you next year in West Virginia.

Once again I have to explain that the final score is what it is. You were not 3 TD's better because once again Martinsburg shot themselves in the foot. Woulda coulda shoulda works both ways. HS should have kicked a FG. Maybe #3 doesn't fumble the ball after 70 yrd run. Penalties galore both ways. Martinsburg escaped with A 1 point victory. That's it. I've watched all of Martinsburg's games. They get penalized a lot and make mistakes. That's who they are right now.

Reactions: mrhonda
Just based on the game last night. What you are saying is right on point. I know that some of our players (and coaches) had a hard time sleeping last night, because the game was there for HS's taking and it just barely slipped away... the 3 missed xtra points didn't help... We had a great kicker the past 3/4 years and other than that, HS has always had trouble finding a kicker in that big school.

Once again I have to explain that the final score is what it is. You were not 3 TD's better because once again Martinsburg shot themselves in the foot. Woulda coulda shoulda works both ways. HS should have kicked a FG. Maybe #3 doesn't fumble the ball after 70 yrd run. Penalties galore both ways. Martinsburg escaped with A 1 point victory. That's it. I've watched all of Martinsburg's games. They get penalized a lot and make mistakes. That's who they are right now.
Clearly you didn't see the quote I was referencing or you saw it and chose to ignore it in your bias. If he or she can claim that "three missed extra points were the difference" then I can refute that by saying three touchdowns were called back and that was the difference. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Except those 3 TDs were NOT TDs due to holding, chop blocking, and a forward lateral.

The missed PATs were not penalties.

See the clear difference? Your "refuting" is comical and makes no sense.

Clearly you didn't see the quote I was referencing or you saw it and chose to ignore it in your bias. If he or she can claim that "three missed extra points were the difference" then I can refute that by saying three touchdowns were called back and that was the difference. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
I definitely don't have a bias. Just tired if people saying they should have won by this or that. It is what is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT