ADVERTISEMENT

Highland Springs will host Martinsburg

Who will win?

• Martinsburg WV

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Highland Springs

Votes: 33 60.0%

• Total voters
Chambers is now 2-0 against championship quality/caliber Va teams. Chambers team played Heritage out of Lynchburg two years ago and won handily, a team that lost in the region championship to Lord Botetourt (Hopewell state champs). Chambers won 35-7 against them and came to RVA and handled one of the states better teams and program decisively. Hats off to Chambers which shows they are an elite team and shouldn't be slighted when referencing state vs state competition.

Martinsburg will present a different type of challenge for HS as I don't believe they field a team of athletes like Chambers does or HS but as a collective they remind me of those blue collar work hard and maximize the athletes/stars we have with the collective matching their level of play. The schemes they use and the way they have dominated and are accustomed to winning makes me feel they can compete HS but I think the Springers depth will set in and they will gel more as a team by the game against Martinsburg. I really am eager to see the result of this one as I said on the 4A board it will say a lot about the program Martinsburg has with a win over HS, they've handled one of the best of 4A with Salem in their matchups.
Martinsburg has speed to kill and one thing that no one has mentioned is their special teams are off the charts. They use their special teams as a 2nd offense, Martinsburg does not like to punt. They have have a quick strike offense that likes to score early and often. Just curious how often does HSHS play from behind? Probably not often. So It will be curious to see how HSHS responds if they get down by multiple scores as it will if Martinsburg gets down multiple score. Neither team is use to playing from behind. It will be interesting on September 17th.

Martinsburg has speed to kill and one thing that no one has mentioned is their special teams are off the charts. They use their special teams as a 2nd offense, Martinsburg does not like to punt. They have have a quick strike offense that likes to score early and often. Just curious how often does HSHS play from behind? Probably not often. So It will be curious to see how HSHS responds if they get down by multiple scores as it will if Martinsburg gets down multiple score. Neither team is use to playing from behind. It will be interesting on September 17th.
Speed to kill?! Do you have any idea what HSHS is ALL about? Speed! Speed! And more speed. They lost to a Nationally ranked Top 25 team last week. They trailed 7-0 late 1st qtr. and 10-7 at half. They trailed SB 7-0 in the 2nd half before forcing OT. Last week was the first time since 2014 they trailed by 2 scores. You’re not talking about some uncle jethrow school from the back woods. HS has put 62 players in college in the last 7 yrs,and multiple CURRENTLY in the NFL. Fact is….they haven’t played from behind in a while,because they’ve been so dang good. Martinsburg isn’t Chambers….nowhere close! HSHS played close to dead even for 2-1/2 qrtrs before an unusual missed tackles separated things by 2 scores. Salem is a good team,but HSHS is a COMPLETELY different level of speed. The Springers use special teams as a weapon as well. The returner has double digit offers including UNC.

Speed to kill?! Do you have any idea what HSHS is ALL about? Speed! Speed! And more speed. They lost to a Nationally ranked Top 25 team last week. They trailed 7-0 late 1st qtr. and 10-7 at half. They trailed SB 7-0 in the 2nd half before forcing OT. Last week was the first time since 2014 they trailed by 2 scores. You’re not talking about some uncle jethrow school from the back woods. HS has put 62 players in college in the last 7 yrs,and multiple CURRENTLY in the NFL. Fact is….they haven’t played from behind in a while,because they’ve been so dang good. Martinsburg isn’t Chambers….nowhere close! HSHS played close to dead even for 2-1/2 qrtrs before an unusual missed tackles separated things by 2 scores. Salem is a good team,but HSHS is a COMPLETELY different level of speed. The Springers use special teams as a weapon as well. The returner has double digit offers including UNC.

How does Massey Ratings come up with these numbers? Points scored, points against?
[The equilibrium point for a probability model applied to the binary (win or loss) outcome of each game. All teams begin the season rated the same. ... The final rating is essentially a function of the team's wins and losses relative to the schedule faced.]

A LOT of statistical analysis! They compile and input every HS score, comparing opponents scores, opponents opponent's scores, etc... They do a bunch of different sports from HS through the professional level.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
[The equilibrium point for a probability model applied to the binary (win or loss) outcome of each game. All teams begin the season rated the same. ... The final rating is essentially a function of the team's wins and losses relative to the schedule faced.]

A LOT of statistical analysis! They compile and input every HS score, comparing opponents scores, opponents opponent's scores, etc... They do a bunch of different sports from HS through the professional level.
Yeah….. the numbers put in are also based off of final scores which does not take into consideration points scored against second and third string players. For example….the last seven points scored against Highland Springs by Manchester was against the third string safety. The starting defense for Highland Springs only gave up seven points to Prince George. Anyone that thinks the Martinsburg is anywhere close to as good as Chambers….they are sadly mistaken!
For the record…the SAME index had Manchester beating HS by 2 TDs. How’d that end up?

Yeah….. the numbers put in are also based off of final scores which does not take into consideration points scored against second and third string players. For example….the last seven points scored against Highland Springs by Manchester was against the third string safety. The starting defense for Highland Springs only gave up seven points to Prince George. Anyone that thinks the Martinsburg is anywhere close to as good as Chambers….they are sadly mistaken!
For the record…the SAME index had Manchester beating HS by 2 TDs. How’d that end up?

Other way around - HS was favored by 2 TDs against Manchester. Massey is usually pretty accurate. One thing I noticed though is Chambers games haven't been updated. I think it might have to do with the name change. I don't know how that affects HS rating. Martinsburg has also outperformed. HS was a 10 point favorite opening week. So pretty big swing in this game over 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Seems to be quite a bit of chatter about Chambers… a team that defeated you on your home field. No one has mentioned that Martinsburg is on same level as Chambers. Chambers has nothing to do with Martinsburg. HSHS needs to focus on the game Friday Night against a team that is 64-1 in their last 65 games. That counts for something! So HSHS will find out how good Martinsburg is this Friday. Looking forward to a good game and I will be very interested to hear what the top 2 HSHS posters on this site will have to say if Martinsburg wins the game??? Martinsburg expects to win just as HSHS expects to win. Good luck to both teams!

Seems to be quite a bit of chatter about Chambers… a team that defeated you on your home field. No one has mentioned that Martinsburg is on same level as Chambers. Chambers has nothing to do with Martinsburg. HSHS needs to focus on the game Friday Night against a team that is 64-1 in their last 65 games. That counts for something! So HSHS will find out how good Martinsburg is this Friday. Looking forward to a good game and I will be very interested to hear what the top 2 HSHS posters on this site will have to say if Martinsburg wins the game??? Martinsburg expects to win just as HSHS expects to win. Good luck to both teams!
If Martinsburg wins, I will congratulate them on a big win just as I did when Chambers won a few weeks ago and the same as I did when Stone Bridge won the 2020 State Title over HS! HS's last 65 games they are 60-5!! Only 4 games separate them in that context.... I think HS has played a much more challenging schedule over those years too including this years first 3 games. Including wins over Oscar Smith, Colonial Forge, Manchester, Stone Bridge, Indian River, Norview, Maury, Hermitage, LC Bird and Varina. 2 of those 5 losses were avenged in the hands of Hermitage in the playoffs!! Don't know enough about the rest of Martinsburg's schedules. Word has been out that Martinsburg has played mostly cupcakes along the way.

Last edited:
We haven’t mentioned it,because Martinsburg is not on the same level with Chambers. Chambers is ranked #15 in the Nation in one publication. I haven’t seen Martinsburg in the top 200 in ANY publication. 64-1 is impressive and would be even more impressive if ONE of those wins was over a top 100 team. Do you realize,Martinsburg won over 50 straight games,but never once were ranked in the top 100 in the country?! I have read on the West Virginia message board that this will be the best team Martinsburg has ever faced by one poster’s opinion. Remember, Highland Springs won 40 straight games,as well,very recently. They reached as high as 34th nationally. Fact is,this will be a good game,and I’m glad both had the guts to schedule this home & home,but Let’s face the fact….this will be by FAR the best team M’burg has seen in a very long time….if ever! This ain’t Sherando or Salem! I can promise you that!

I think this one will be a challenge for Martinsburg. Without a doubt one of the stronger teams they've faced in years. But teams that have learned how to win, like Martinsburg, can be a tough out for anyone. Key for HS will be not giving up the big play and the young QB not getting rattled. Martinsburg can't afford a first half like the one they had against Salem or they're likely going to be down. They're going to have to contain HS athletes and win at the LOS.

Reactions: CavsGrad
I think it would be interesting if Martinsburg played Bluefield.
Martinsburg would beat them by 4+ TD's. Bluefield has struggled with Princeton of late and lost to them this yr. Martinsburg would probably score 50

Who is Bluefield and where are they from?
Bluefield is from Bluefield WV. They are nowhere near Martinsburg. They are a good program but would be a large C2 or small C3 in VA. Bluefield lost to LB a couple yrs ago. So no I think Martinsburg would have a running clock on Bluefield. Not a good matchup. Definitely not in HS class of late.

I think this one will be a challenge for Martinsburg. Without a doubt one of the stronger teams they've faced in years. But teams that have learned how to win, like Martinsburg, can be a tough out for anyone. Key for HS will be not giving up the big play and the young QB not getting rattled. Martinsburg can't afford a first half like the one they had against Salem or they're likely going to be down. They're going to have to contain HS athletes and win at the LOS.
Salem will be better by the end of the season. Nowhere near what they were in the spring at this point. Had to replace the entire O-line. The defense was down 2 starters and had several soph making first start on varsity. They have had several breakdowns in the secondary this yr. Martinsburg was missing Todd as well with a leg injury. Martinsburg is not as good as they were 2 yrs ago. They still have great line play. #3 is their work horse and his brother runs the ball well from QB position. You will have to get pads on #3 on offense. Very good at getting to the ball and making the tackle. On Offense he does drag routs and slants. This game is very intriguing because HS secondary will be a better test than Salem's. This game will be determined by the line play for both teams. This is Martinsburg real strength. HS keeps this even or wins this battle they will win the game.

We haven’t mentioned it,because Martinsburg is not on the same level with Chambers. Chambers is ranked #15 in the Nation in one publication. I haven’t seen Martinsburg in the top 200 in ANY publication. 64-1 is impressive and would be even more impressive if ONE of those wins was over a top 100 team. Do you realize,Martinsburg won over 50 straight games,but never once were ranked in the top 100 in the country?! I have read on the West Virginia message board that this will be the best team Martinsburg has ever faced by one poster’s opinion. Remember, Highland Springs won 40 straight games,as well,very recently. They reached as high as 34th nationally. Fact is,this will be a good game,and I’m glad both had the guts to schedule this home & home,but Let’s face the fact….this will be by FAR the best team M’burg has seen in a very long time….if ever! This ain’t Sherando or Salem! I can promise you that!
Fact is Martinsburg finished the 2017 ranked # 19 in USA Today’s Super 25… Look it up! Has HSHS ever finished a season ranked in the top 25? I think not!!! IMHO Playing 1 game against a nationally ranked team doesn’t make you a National power! https://wvmetronews.com/2017/12/28/Martinsburg-finishes-year-ranked-no-19-nationally-in-super-25/

I think HS is in good shape. I'm going to see HS and Thomas Dale JV teams clash tomorrow at 6pm. HS JV has a stud rb that runs much like Aziz Foster-Powell. Except he might be faster! I'm waiting to see if Varsity might call him up soon (Elijah Williams).
JV game against Thomas Dale has been cancelled tonight due to Covid issues at Dale HS. You might see some of those JV studs get a little playing time Friday night!
Fact is Martinsburg finished the 2017 ranked # 19 in USA Today’s Super 25… Look it up! Has HSHS ever finished a season ranked in the top 25? I think not!!! IMHO Playing 1 game against a nationally ranked team doesn’t make you a National power! https://wvmetronews.com/2017/12/28/Martinsburg-finishes-year-ranked-no-19-nationally-in-super-25/
HS was Maxprep top 50 in 2018. #47 if my memory serves me well. In USA today (2019) we were top 20 before losing in game 11 to Varina

I used to live in Hagerstown, MD about 20 minutes from Martinsburg. So, I had a chance to see them quite a few times over the years. They were definitely a powerhouse when Dave Walker was their coach. I don't think HS is one of the stornger teams it's faced in years. The last couple of years maybe. I think HS will win as overall, WV football isn't on the same level. You can see that in some of Martinsburg's scores. They won't give HS the same trouble Chambers did, I don't think. Massey has Martinsburg at 28-21 over the Springers. Not sure I'd agree with that though. I would look forward more to the return trip to Martinsburg next season. I haven't been to a game at HS in years, but I know Martinsburg has a great atmosphere for football.

Neither team has finished anywhere near top 25 in all the other polls. For some reason USA Today won't let me look at the polls for that yr. Prep nation had Martinsburg 8 and Highland Springs 9 in the East Coast Region. If either team played a true national power it would not be pretty. Just like Oscar Smith playing Bosco. Might get ugly early. I will be surprised if they keep it within 3 scores.

Smith did take down the #6 Ranked team in the Nation. They didn't get much publicity about it because it was versus in State Rival, Ocean Lakes. November Regional Finals 2015!!! Interestingly enough, that game was against Coach Scott. The next year he left to coach Bishop Sullivan took most of those OL kids with him and along with some key transfers nearly pulled off the upset vs IMG Academy in 2016!!!!

SO, I am reaching for some useless & meaningless connections for the hope that Virginia HS Football will have more of a chance than most think tomorrow night. I realize NONE of that helps the team on the field but as a FAN it helps to dream! It's part of hype, right?

Speaking of hype, part of me wants to see Smith come out tomorrow night in an all black uni with the huge Tiger Paw on the helmet same as you see my profile pic. The middle school sports the black uni's & they are sharp! This kind of thing can add to the excitement for the kids & fans. BUT I know it doesn't help win a game!

Speaking of hype, part of me wants to see Smith come out tomorrow night in an all black uni with the huge Tiger Paw on the helmet same as you see my profile pic. The middle school sports the black uni's & they are sharp! This kind of thing can add to the excitement for the kids & fans. BUT I know it doesn't help win a game!

That tiger paw is a bit too Clemsonish.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Smith did take down the #6 Ranked team in the Nation. They didn't get much publicity about it because it was versus in State Rival, Ocean Lakes. November Regional Finals 2015!!! Interestingly enough, that game was against Coach Scott. The next year he left to coach Bishop Sullivan took most of those OL kids with him and along with some key transfers nearly pulled off the upset vs IMG Academy in 2016!!!!

SO, I am reaching for some useless & meaningless connections for the hope that Virginia HS Football will have more of a chance than most think tomorrow night. I realize NONE of that helps the team on the field but as a FAN it helps to dream! It's part of hype, right?

DJ Uiagalelei's little brother plays for St. John Bosco - #12 overall in '23 class. 6'4" 255 top ranked edge in the country.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Neither team has finished anywhere near top 25 in all the other polls. For some reason USA Today won't let me look at the polls for that yr. Prep nation had Martinsburg 8 and Highland Springs 9 in the East Coast Region. If either team played a true national power it would not be pretty. Just like Oscar Smith playing Bosco. Might get ugly early. I will be surprised if they keep it within 3 scores.

How would any of these teams fair against Dutch Fork?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT