ADVERTISEMENT

Jarvis Vaungh

DSH, these dudes killin' me. A team for SWVa gets the best of my Dawgs and they lose their minds. I just think to myself, how many teams from SWVa has Martinsville drug over the years? Too many to count. How many has Dan River drug? As far as I'm concerned, both my Dawgs and Wildcats have dominated teams out that way year in and year out.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
DSH, these dudes killin' me. A team for SWVa gets the best of my Dawgs and they lose their minds. I just think to myself, how many teams from SWVa has Martinsville drug over the years? Too many to count. How many has Dan River drug? As far as I'm concerned, both my Dawgs and Wildcats have dominated teams out that way year in and year out.

How many did they drag this year? How many you think Dan river would’ve score on graham? 29?

I never said anyone was better than Mr. Martin. You have me confused with confused with some1 else. McClung 2A player of the year case closed. Season is done. It's good a SWVa finally won a chip. Congrats.

Cats get one good player once and every blue moon and sweat they know talent lol! Martinsville and Danville produces D1 and D2 players year in and year out..Y’all boys have it!

You tried to claim a JV kid was better than Darrin Martin... but yeah let’s talk talent

I don’t care what Martinsville or Dan river has done in the past, that’s not my argument. Martinsville and Dan River were not legitimate contenders this season and you guys got in your feelings when called out about it and tried to rationalize it with past seasons reaults and believing that Martinsville had better players than the top guys from region D

What is this dude talking about? Martinsville lost in the state quarter-finals. So yes, we were contenders but we weren't as good as Radford, Graham or Gate City. I can accept that. I guess one wouldn't care about the past if they weren't winning. I care about the past, present and the future. Like it or not, Martinsville is a Dominate program in the state. Oh and guess what, Reggie Miller ( Hall of Fame ) knows about the Powerhouse Martinsville Bulldawgs.

Man just leave it be. Gate City won. Leave it at that. You leave it alone and I'll leave it alone. SWVa you were the champs.

Last edited:
Ant, I'm hearing that there may be an opening on the basketball staff. You should put your name in the hat.

What is this dude talking about? Martinsville lost in the state quarter-finals. So yes, we were contenders but we weren't as good as Radford, Graham or Gate City. I can accept that. I guess one wouldn't care about the past if they weren't winning. I care about the past, present and the future. Like it or not, Martinsville is a Dominate program in the state. Oh and guess what, Reggie Miller ( Hall of Fame ) knows about the Powerhouse Martinsville Bulldawgs.

What’s the story about Reggie Miller?

You tried to claim a JV kid was better than Darrin Martin... but yeah let’s talk talent

I don’t care what Martinsville or Dan river has done in the past, that’s not my argument. Martinsville and Dan River were not legitimate contenders this season and you guys got in your feelings when called out about it and tried to rationalize it with past seasons reaults and believing that Martinsville had better players than the top guys from region D
Dan River was very well a state contender this year, home skillet. Martinsville beat them in the single elimination round. Same thing happened to #1 seeds LC Bird and Maury in 5a...Don’t you think they were contenders? Martinsville was the better team that night. I fault the weaker district schedule DR plays. No team in the Dogwood came close to beating them and DR hadn’t been challenged since early January, which was their second loss to Heritage. Dogs smacked the Catz in the mouth. Their 2 loses came to 3a Heritage Lynchburg and DR even beat GW Danville. So yes, DR was a top 4 team in 2a. Oh yeah.. Martinsville beat a state qualifier in Franklin County (6a) and beat GW Danville. They won’t a contender though! No one’s in their feelings, however, you SWVA cats seem to be because we didn’t pat your boy Mac on the back like you’d like. Like it or not, the freshman for Martinsville is next up! Get your popcorn ready cause show will start in November.

Reactions: AntGZee
Dan River was very well a state contender this year, home skillet. Martinsville beat them in the single elimination round. Same thing happened to #1 seeds LC Bird and Maury in 5a...Don’t you think they were contenders? Martinsville was the better team that night. I fault the weaker district schedule DR plays. No team in the Dogwood came close to beating them and DR hadn’t been challenged since early January, which was their second loss to Heritage. Dogs smacked the Catz in the mouth. Their 2 loses came to 3a Heritage Lynchburg and DR even beat GW Danville. So yes, DR was a top 4 team in 2a. Oh yeah.. Martinsville beat a state qualifier in Franklin County (6a) and beat GW Danville. They won’t a contender though! No one’s in their feelings, however, you SWVA cats seem to be because we didn’t pat your boy Mac on the back like you’d like. Like it or not, the freshman for Martinsville is next up! Get your popcorn ready cause show will start in November.

I’d consider a team to be a legitimate contender only if they could legitimately win the title. How could Dan River win the title or be a top 4 team in the state when they couldn’t beat Martinsville, who showed they weren’t as good as Radford or Graham? & then you have Gate City who beat Radford and Graham & RE Lee who played in the final. So where does DR fit in the top 4? Why does it matter who Martinsville beat in the regular season 3A, 4a, 6a etc. if they struggled to score 30 in the 2A playoffs?

I’m not debating that Martinsville has been the class of VA basketball. They just weren’t this year, and obviously neither was Dan River, but for some reason we were supposed to think they were the favorites because of their history?

Also, you don’t have to pat Mac on the back. He proved without any doubt that he was clearly the best player in 2A, so it’s silly that you guys wanted to downplay him all year. Darrin Martin proved that he was clearly one of the top 7 players in 2A as well, but you said a JV kid was better than him. That why we’re still having this conversation. I don’t care to read anymore about how many games/championships/whatever else Martinsville or Dan river has won because again, that’s not my argument. I’m arguing you made a dumb comment and when called out for it you turned condescending in every post.

I’d consider a team to be a legitimate contender only if they could legitimately win the title. How could Dan River win the title or be a top 4 team in the state when they couldn’t beat Martinsville, who showed they weren’t as good as Radford or Graham? & then you have Gate City who beat Radford and Graham & RE Lee who played in the final. So where does DR fit in the top 4? Why does it matter who Martinsville beat in the regular season 3A, 4a, 6a etc. if they struggled to score 30 in the 2A playoffs?

I’m not debating that Martinsville has been the class of VA basketball. They just weren’t this year, and obviously neither was Dan River, but for some reason we were supposed to think they were the favorites because of their history?

Also, you don’t have to pat Mac on the back. He proved without any doubt that he was clearly the best player in 2A, so it’s silly that you guys wanted to downplay him all year. Darrin Martin proved that he was clearly one of the top 7 players in 2A as well, but you said a JV kid was better than him. That why we’re still having this conversation. I don’t care to read anymore about how many games/championships/whatever else Martinsville or Dan river has won because again, that’s not my argument. I’m arguing you made a dumb comment and when called out for it you turned condescending in every post.
I’ll be glad to answer your Dan River question..If I recall correctly, your fellow SWVA gentlemen labeled Graham state contenders when they beat Martinsville in the regular season. Looking at the schedules that Radford and Graham played..If they were top 4 teams, then Dan River should’ve definitely been there and I will argue, DR should be ranked higher than both teams. The best team Graham played was Bluefield and Martinsville..The best team Radford played was Fleming (SAD schedule).. Dan River did beat GW (who would crush anybody that Graham or Radford played in the regular season and I would bet a lot of money that they’d beat Graham and Radford handedly). Well GW lost to Martinsville who scored 30 points against Graham??? Throw that out the window. Anybody who knows anything about GW/Martinsville or GW/DR.. Anything can happen in those games. Biggest basketball rivalries west of Richmond. Martinsville worst team I can remember (2013; Holland’s freshman year) gave GW ,#1 team in the whole state of VA, the business before eventually taking a L. If you want to be real about it.. Radford, Graham and DR... ALL OF THEIR DISTRICT OPPONENTS WAS ABSOLUTELY SAD but I think DR had the best schedule out of the 3. Martinsville without question had the hardest schedule. That’s how they jumped a 2 loss DR team in the power points. Eh31, Martinsville won the Piedmont regular season over GW Danville and Franklin County. Had Martinsville won the actual district tournament, I’d make the argument that they should’ve been the #1 seed in the playoffs.

As far as my questions.. Where is this Martin kid’s offers? How come this is the first year we’ve even heard of him? How come you didn’t answer my question reguarding LC Bird and Maury? #1 seeds that lost to 8 seeds. Were they not contenders? Did you not see where I agreed with Ant and Horsepasture that it wasn’t a fair to compare a freshman with sky high potential to a high school senior in a previous post??? Come on, READ man.

Are you being serious Mayberryite?

Most likely, yes.

Also, I don't wanna get knee deep in all of this going on up above, but I don't think most folks realize the schedule MHS plays year in and year out. They're the only 2A school in their district. It's a district like no other in all of Virginia. The Piedmont stretches from 2A all the way to 6A.

Last edited:
Most likely, yes.

Also, I don't wanna get knee deep in all of this going on up above, but I don't think most folks realize the schedule MHS plays year in and year out. They're the only 2A school in their district. It's a district like no other in all of Virginia. The Piedmont stretches from 2A all the way to 6A.
Thank you!!! IMO, if Martinsville had won the Piedmont post season tournament, they should’ve without a doubt been a 1 seed. Martinsville year in and year out beats 5a Halifax, 4a GW, and 6a Franklin County. That’s a hell of a resume.

Thank you!!! IMO, if Martinsville had won the Piedmont post season tournament, they should’ve without a doubt been a 1 seed. Martinsville year in and year out beats 5a Halifax, 4a GW, and 6a Franklin County. That’s a hell of a resume.

Ya'll boys talk like the Piedmont is some amazing district though. Class doesn't matter that much in basketball. Martinsville beating 6A Franklin County means nothing cause Franklin County isn't that good. They made the state tournament because they play in arguably the worst Region in the state. Halifax has had maybe 1 or 2 noteworthy teams in the last 10 years. Outside of GW (who can't beat the 757 or 804 teams, who does Martinsville and Dan River really beat. I'm speaking to the last 10 or so years.

Ya'll boys talk like the Piedmont is some amazing district though. Class doesn't matter that much in basketball. Martinsville beating 6A Franklin County means nothing cause Franklin County isn't that good. They made the state tournament because they play in arguably the worst Region in the state. Halifax has had maybe 1 or 2 noteworthy teams in the last 10 years. Outside of GW (who can't beat the 757 or 804 teams, who does Martinsville and Dan River really beat. I'm speaking to the last 10 or so years.
Point isn’t that the Piedmont is so good, but Gate City, Radford, Dan River and Graham’s district is so god awful! Piedmont is waaaaaaay better than any of those teams’ district. You talk about GW but GW probably has sent more kids to D1 programs than any of the teams in SWVA combined. Would like to see the numbers since you could gather GW’s record against 804 and 757.

Excuse me but Franklin Co has made it to the state Quarters the last 2 years. That tells me that Franklin Co is pretty darn good. I tell you what, let Gate City or Graham play in the Piedmont District. I have been back in Martinsville since 2010. If Gate City or Graham was in the PD from 2010 til present, they would beg to go back to the M7 or whatever district that they play in. During that time GW, Halifax, MV and Martinsville and been doing damage. If not for IC Norcom, GW would have at least 2 chips under their belt. MV would have at least one chip during that time period. MV just happened to run into a buzz saw called Christiansburg. Halifax and Franklin Co has made deep runs. Well of course my Dawgs have won back to back title runs on top of making other deep runs in the playoffs beside the title years. Other than this year, when was the last time a team from SWVa won a chip? The Piedmont District has a lot to be proud of. Without a doubt one of the best districts in the state.

Excuse me but Franklin Co has made it to the state Quarters the last 2 years. That tells me that Franklin Co is pretty darn good. I tell you what, let Gate City or Graham play in the Piedmont District. I have been back in Martinsville since 2010. If Gate City or Graham was in the PD from 2010 til present, they would beg to go back to the M7 or whatever district that they play in. During that time GW, Halifax, MV and Martinsville and been doing damage. If not for IC Norcom, GW would have at least 2 chips under their belt. MV would have at least one chip during that time period. MV just happened to run into a buzz saw called Christiansburg. Halifax and Franklin Co has made deep runs. Well of course my Dawgs have won back to back title runs on top of making other deep runs in the playoffs beside the title years. Other than this year, when was the last time a team from SWVa won a chip? The Piedmont District has a lot to be proud of. Without a doubt one of the best districts in the state.
Bassett was REAL good from 2006-2012 too. They were the only team to beat Christiansburg in 2012.

I 4got about Bassett. Yes, they were real too. DeAndre Kellem was on his way to being one of the best to play in the PD til he and his coach couldn't get along.

I 4got about Bassett. Yes, they were real too. DeAndre Kellem was on his way to being one of the best to play in the PD til he and his coach couldn't get along.
That MV team in 2012 was prob the best Piedmont team I saw that never won a chip. I believe their starting 5 was one of the tallest Piedmont teams ever. Kidd (6’4 signed with Hofstra), Moyer (6’5 Concord), Dickerson(6’8), Wells (6’9) and then Tat Hairston and Corey Kellam held it down at point. They were like that. If Shaq Patterson would’ve played then they would’ve been a real force!

Point isn’t that the Piedmont is so good, but Gate City, Radford, Dan River and Graham’s district is so god awful! Piedmont is waaaaaaay better than any of those teams’ district. You talk about GW but GW probably has sent more kids to D1 programs than any of the teams in SWVA combined. Would like to see the numbers since you could gather GW’s record against 804 and 757.

I never mentioned SWVA. I just stated that the Piedmont wasn't that great. The Piedmont is ho hum to be honest. I came from Richmond down there and saw subpar basketball for the most part. Even the best Martinsville teams from the past 10 years would struggle against 804 and 757 teams.

You missed the part about Franklin County being in possibly the worst region in the state. Franklin County only made the states because almost all the teams in that region have been bad.

I never mentioned SWVA. I just stated that the Piedmont wasn't that great. The Piedmont is ho hum to be honest. I came from Richmond down there and saw subpar basketball for the most part. Even the best Martinsville teams from the past 10 years would struggle against 804 and 757 teams.
I live in Richmond and see a lot of basketball around here. If the elite Richmond teams aren’t playing then no.. You’re statement isn’t true. I saw 3 good teams out of the Richmond area this year. Marshall, Varina (hands down the best team), and Trinity. Haven’t seen a lot of 757 teams play but I wasn’t impressed with Hampton or Salem VA Beach. Without a doubt, LT, Maury and Green Run would’ve beaten anyone West of Varina by 10+. No public school team was beating Varina this year and I’d like to bet that they won’t be beaten next year.

I live in Richmond and see a lot of basketball around here. If the elite Richmond teams aren’t playing then no.. You’re statement isn’t true. I saw 3 good teams out of the Richmond area this year. Marshall, Varina (hands down the best team), and Trinity. Haven’t seen a lot of 757 teams play but I wasn’t impressed with Hampton or Salem VA Beach. Without a doubt, LT, Maury and Green Run would’ve beaten anyone West of Varina by 10+. No public school team was beating Varina this year and I’d like to bet that they won’t be beaten next year.

Only 3...you have to be kidding? Bird, Highland Springs, Huguenot, George Wythe, and Hopewell were all good teams this year. And to be honest if we are only talking about "good" teams then I would throw in Meadowbrook, Mills Godwin, Douglas Freeman, and Monacan.

Yes that is correct for 2018, but last year (2017) they had a heck of a run. Gotta give them credit.

They loss in the State Quarters last year because they beat two bad teams then upset Hylton. They then were blown out in the Quarters. They would have zero state appearances in any other region in 6A or 5A or maybe even 4A.

Only 3...you have to be kidding? Bird, Highland Springs, Huguenot, George Wythe, and Hopewell were all good teams this year. And to be honest if we are only talking about "good" teams then I would throw in Meadowbrook, Mills Godwin, Douglas Freeman, and Monacan.
I’ll give you Bird, Hopewell & PG. I live in Richmond and seen all of these teams listed this year with the exception of Monacan and Huguenot. None of those teams would be a sure win over GW, Dan River, Martinsville or Franklin County besides the 3 I named in this post plus my previous 3 in Varina, Marshall, Trinity.. You can miss us all with it.

The best types of people to talk sports with are the ones who bring up the past success of the teams they cheer for.

"Martinsville scored 30 points in a playoff game this year...."

"Yeah...so what!? We won 15 State Titles."

Great conversation.

Reactions: eh31
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT