ADVERTISEMENT

Louisa 22 Western Albemarle 8

anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b

VaPreps All Region
Aug 28, 2005
See why I was so worried? One reason I decided to leave out last week, as to why games against WA are so tough, is that the officiating is usually questionable, especially at their place. After the first three plays of the game, it was, "here we go again" yet again. Louisa threw a deep pass that was blatantly interfered, with the official and Coach Fischer 10 feet away from the play, no whistle. Louisa moved the ball on the drive, but a bad snap was fumbled away in the redzone. Later, Malik Bell was crossing the goal line, and lost the ball, resulting in a touchback. After that, Louisa's defense dominated and it was great that they did, because WA 6 ft 8 defensive end Luke Tenuta (multiple D1 offers) intercepted and returned a Lion screen pass to Louisa's 15 yard line, and WA scored a few plays later. The score was 15-8 at that point. A bad spot on a 4th down play for Louisa, and a WA catch that was ripped out of the player's hands by Louisa's Jarett Hunter, but ruled incomplete, kept the game more heart wrenching than it should've been. WA's QB threw four picks in each of the last two games, so, naturally, he played flawless ball tonight. Also, kickoff was scheduled for 7pm but moved to 7:40 after an accident on 64 caused Louisa to be late. Good gut-check win by my boys!!! Finally. And Brandon Smith's 80 yard TD run was a pleasure to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwb16 and mbonape1
See why I was so worried? One reason I decided to leave out last week, as to why games against WA are so tough, is that the officiating is usually questionable, especially at their place. After the first three plays of the game, it was, "here we go again" yet again. Louisa threw a deep pass that was blatantly interfered, with the official and Coach Fischer 10 feet away from the play, no whistle. Louisa moved the ball on the drive, but a bad snap was fumbled away in the redzone. Later, Malik Bell was crossing the goal line, and lost the ball, resulting in a touchback. After that, Louisa's defense dominated and it was great that they did, because WA 6 ft 8 defensive end Luke Tenuta (multiple D1 offers) intercepted and returned a Lion screen pass to Louisa's 15 yard line, and scored a few plays later. The score was 15-8 at that point. A bad spot on a play for Louisa, and a WA catch that was ripped out of the player's hands by Louisa's Jarett Hunter, but ruled an incomplete, kept the game more heart wrenching than it should be. WA's QB threw four picks in each of the last two games, so, naturally, he played flawless ball tonight. Also, kickoff was scheduled for 7pm but moved to 7:40 after an accident on 64 caused Louisa to be late. Good gut-check win by my boys!!! Finally. And Brandon Smith's 80 yard TD run was a pleasure to watch.

So its the officials fault that Louisa fumbles in the red zone and fumbles the ball out of the endzone for a touchback?

Reactions: hamspear
I was there tonight. Agree with HoosFan. Definitely some funny business from the officials to help keep this one close. With that said Louisa shot itself in the foot twice with red zone turnovers. But after tonight, I think this Louisa defense might be the best I've seen from them in quite a long time. For the first time since '06 Coach Fischer is playing his best athletes on both sides of the ball and you can tell the difference. It helps that the Lions have about 6 or 7 guys that can really carry the rock on offense, allowing them to give guys like Job Whalen a blow on offense so he can play every snap on D. There are no style points in High School football so a wins a win and this team will ultimately be judged starting in November. I know they want a Jefferson District title but a deep playoff run would be much more satisfying.

Reactions: mbonape1
I was there tonight. Agree with HoosFan. Definitely some funny business from the officials to help keep this one close. With that said Louisa shot itself in the foot twice with red zone turnovers. But after tonight, I think this Louisa defense might be the best I've seen from them in quite a long time. For the first time since '06 Coach Fischer is playing his best athletes on both sides of the ball and you can tell the difference. It helps that the Lions have about 6 or 7 guys that can really carry the rock on offense, allowing them to give guys like Job Whalen a blow on offense so he can play every snap on D. There are no style points in High School football so a wins a win and this team will ultimately be judged starting in November. I know they want a Jefferson District title but a deep playoff run would be much more satisfying.
And let's not forget WA would've beaten Lord Botetourt if not for a bunch of players cramping out of the game (even LB's coach pointed it out in an article), and it still took a goal line stand by LB as time expired to win it. A certain poster here knows all about teams cramping up and blowing games. I knew the Powhatan and Collegiate games were anomalies after watching them. Collegiate returned two picks for TDs, and everything went right for Powhatan and wrong for WA. WA's offense has seen better days, but that defense is pretty solid. QB Domecq is good, not all the picks were his fault.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT