ADVERTISEMENT

Maury, Warwick, and Kings Fork

BruiserZ

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2023
I’m from the Roanoke area, a PH fan, so I don’t get to see the Tidewater teams. But what gives with everybody handing the 5A title to Maury? Warwick looks like they have had an incredible season. If they beat Phoebus, would the folks on this site give them a chance against Maury?

For that matter doesn’t Kings Fork have a chance?

It looks like the best 5A teams are in Tidewater. It’s just not obvious from this side of the state Maury gets the championship game against such tough competition. Can you all help explain?

Man, I've seen Maury play this year at dinwiddie and they beat them pretty handily, and dinwiddie is one of the better teams in the state and they beat Highland springs early this year also another top 5 team in the state. So I can say this year they will win the C5 championship. Unless they've some major injuries to all there starters or something crazy happens. Warwick, green run and King fork are very good teams but Maury is loaded.

I’m from the Roanoke area, a PH fan, so I don’t get to see the Tidewater teams. But what gives with everybody handing the 5A title to Maury? Warwick looks like they have had an incredible season. If they beat Phoebus, would the folks on this site give them a chance against Maury?

It looks like the best 5A teams are in Tidewater. It’s just not obvious from this side of the state Maury gets the championship game against such tough competition. Can you all help explain?
It looks like Stone Bridge is healthy again and they have gotten their feet back under themselves. I have a feeling Maury will have to get past Stone Bridge again and as always, it won't be easy!

Reactions: VolNation85
@BruiserZ, I understand why you would question all the hype surrounding Maury, but the reality is they are that good. I don't think anyone is handing them the championship especially their opponents. Many do believe the Commodores are the most likely team to win it and and deservedly so. Prior to the regular season they shut out Phoebus in a benefit game. Two of Maury's out of district opponents are defending state champions and the third is Wise a good team from Maryland. Their OOD opponents are a combined 19-5 with Highland Springs and Wise both being 7-1. The Commodores speed, depth, physicality, experience, and coaching are some of their finer qualities.

Kings Fork is a very good team that has played a solid schedule. They have won some very close games (2 in OT) against opponents Maury would handle easily (Nansemond River, Indian River, and Oscar Smith). No disrespect to the Bulldogs, but I do not think their offense is potent enough to match Maury's offensive output.

Warwick has a very fine team with a balanced offensive attack. They have a few athletes who match up well with Maury, but they are just not physical enough.

Green Run from Region A has some very good players and their offense is top notch. Again, the Stallions will struggle against the Commodores on the defensive side of the ball. If they can get involved in a track meet (high scoring game) they might have a small chance.

I agree with @springer76, if Stone bridge is healthy they are both physical and athletic enough to give Maury a game. Nobody else in Region D has the athletes to match Maury.

I have personally seen most of the contenders in Region C and only a very healthy PH-Roanoke would possibly be capable of beating the Commodores.

I am not handing the Commodores the title, but it's tough to doubt one of the top three public school teams in the State of Virginia. I hope this helps sir.

Maury is stacked. There are a complete team filled with FBS talent. I’d put them 3-4 TDs better than both Warwick and Kings Fork honestly. If Maury doesn’t go 15-0 i will be completely shocked.

The scary thing about Maury is they’ve been playing a lot of this season with missing pieces.

Pretty much what everyone else said this team pretty much been rolling on all cylinder on all three phases. The on only team in C5 that will give them a game maybe is stone bridge if healthy only because they have a game that can slow the game but may still be a 3+ game. Then as far as the two 757 regions I mean GR same results as the last 2 years, KF well they good but they've struggled to beat teams in there district handley that are just ok teams, then Warrick I mean really hasn't played no body all season we shall see how good they are come Saturday against Phoebus.

Warrick I mean really hasn't played no body all season we shall see how good they are come Saturday against Phoebus.
We been trying to tell them folks this nonstop. Peninsula District is as worse as it’s ever been with the transfer portal and their OOC game was Grassfield who has 3 wins against teams with a combined 5 wins. They are small in the trenches.

We been trying to tell them folks this nonstop. Peninsula District is as worse as it’s ever been with the transfer portal and their OOC game was Grassfield who has 3 wins against teams with a combined 5 wins. They are small in the trenches.
Big facts

You missed the report that they are averaging 62 points per game? They are winning their games by an average score of 62-9. 62-9. 62-9. They have 2 state champions in Highland Springs and Dinwiddie already marked off of their schedule but their average margin of victory is still SIXTY-TWO to nine. I am standing off to the side as they blow past. There is no team in Virginia even in the same atmosphere as the Maury Commodores right now. Some of these games are 1995-96 Hampton Crabber level beat downs..

Reactions: BleedingNavy
You missed the report that they are averaging 62 points per game? They are winning their games by an average score of 62-9. 62-9. 62-9. They have 2 state champions in Highland Springs and Dinwiddie already marked off of their schedule but their average margin of victory is still SIXTY-TWO to nine. I am standing off to the side as they blow past. There is no team in Virginia even in the same atmosphere as the Maury Commodores right now. Some of these games are 1995-96 Hampton Crabber level beat downs..
If only we could see a Maury vs Freedom match up. Freedom has the skill guys to play with anyone but I am not sure they have the same level of talent in the trenches. I say the same thing about Freedom vs Highland Springs too. Unless something crazy happens, we will probably see a Freedom vs Highland Springs championship in Class 6 and Maury vs Stone Bridge in Class 5.

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
If only we could see a Maury vs Freedom match up. Freedom has the skill guys to play with anyone but I am not sure they have the same level of talent in the trenches. I say the same thing about Freedom vs Highland Springs too. Unless something crazy happens, we will probably see a Freedom vs Highland Springs championship in Class 6 and Maury vs Stone Bridge in Class 5.
That was the point I was making with our teams going out of state to play games. I do believe Maury/Green Run would be a competitive game. GR played the Commodores tight last year. Why do you think SB will make the state championship game? They don't have a team to knock them off in the playoffs up there? I think D4 is wide open at a certain point. It should be a very competitive playoffs.

Reactions: VolNation85
That was the point I was making with our teams going out of state to play games. I do believe Maury/Green Run would be a competitive game. GR played the Commodores tight last year. Why do you think SB will make the state championship game? They don't have a team to knock them off in the playoffs up there? I think D4 is wide open at a certain point. It should be a very competitive playoffs.
The biggest competition for Stonebridge in that region, Stonebridge just beat them by two touchdowns last Friday night. Nobody coming out of the Richmond region is going to beat them in the semifinal either. Now that they are healthy, they are back to being the old Stonebridge. They were missing at least eight starters the first four games of the season. I think they’re only missing one now, but his injury was season ending.

I think Maury can wind up in the top 25 if things go right. They should play 2 or 3 undefeated teams in the playoffs which will help their cause.

I think Maury can wind up in the top 25 if things go right. They should play 2 or 3 undefeated teams in the playoffs which will help their cause.
I mean if you look at the rankings from the region semifinals on they should play a top ten team from there on out. I think SB is just out the top ten but we know they are and probably will be this week

They don’t play anyone good enough to get them into the top 25. I’ve seen the nation’s top 25 play, and quite honestly,no one in Virginia is anywhere close to it. I watched Bosco and St Thomas in person along with Chaminade-Madonna and St James. I’ve seen IMG and St Edwards. I’ve seen Archbishop Hoban of Ohio. These teams play each other,and they’re far better than anything we have here in VA. Right now Maury is not even ranked ahead of Benedictine out of Richmond.

Stone Bridge is still the favorite on that side until someone proves otherwise. They are much better than their record shows. They have played the toughest schedule out of anyone in VHSL. They have 4 losses to 4 high caliber teams. Madison, Martinsburg, Good Counsel and Quince Orchard are a combined 33-2. They just beat the #1 team in their region 29-12. Plus they still have Hall of Fame coach Mickey Thompson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT