ADVERTISEMENT

My Region A Rankings

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
This is just for discussion purposes only and just my opinion.

1. King &Queen- Tigers play KW on Friday
2. Northampton- Don't sleep on the Jackets
3. W&L- They shocked me with the win tonight
4. Essex- Can the Trojans bounce back?
5. West Point- Pointers have lost 2 in a row
6. Colonial Beach- Drifters are always scrappy
7. Rappahannock- Curious to see how they do vs Essex on Friday
8. Northumberland- Indians have lost 2 in a row
9. Middlesex- Rapp win probably knocks them out of the playoffs
10. Lancaster- Devils do have 1 win on the season
11. Mathews- Program is in total rebuild mode

Reactions: gwb16 and NNK1995

Crazy how much this changed in just under a week.. really shakes up the playoff picture

Reactions: kwhs95fan

Isn't Middlesex ineligible anyway?

Yes, I'm sure Middlesex is ineligible. Honestly, there's been so many start-stop, start-stop for teams that it's hard to actual rate the teams on an even level, but I'd say KQ, CB and Northampton are playing their best right now with WL close behind. CB and WL play Friday with the NND title on the line if I'm not mistaken. Not that district titles mean much anymore

Reactions: NNK1995
I calculated the Power Points myself so here is the unofficial seedings as of tonight:

1. King & Queen - 20.5 (8-0)
2. Essex - 19.2 (4-1)
3. Northampton - 19.111 (7-2)
4. W&L - 18.71429 (4-3)
5. West Point - 18.5 (5-3)
6. Colonial Beach - 17.00 (5-3)
7. Northumberland - 15.571 (5-2)
8. Rappahannock - 14.5 (4-4)

Again this is unofficial but from the looks of things there are a couple of games that really could shake up the seedings. The only spot that looks to be solidified is Rapp at 8th. The only way they can move out of the 8th seed is if Lancaster beats Northumberland but prob won't happen.

This Weeks Division 1 Region A Action

(#1) King & Queen vs King William
(#2) Essex vs (#8) Rappahannock
(#3) Northampton vs Arcadia
(#4) W&L vs (#6) Colonial Beach
(#7) Northumberland vs Lancaster

Could be a lot of movement with W&L or Northampton potentially moving to the 1 seed depending on certain results. Crazy scenarios are in play......this def should be a fun week

Last edited:
I calculated the Power Points myself so here is the unofficial seedings as of tonight:

1. King & Queen - 20.5 (8-0)
2. Essex - 19.2 (4-1)
3. Northampton - 19.111 (7-2)
4. W&L - 18.5741 (4-3)
5. West Point - 18.375 (5-3)
6. Colonial Beach - 16.75 (5-3)
7. Northumberland - 15.428 (5-2)
8. Rappahannock - 14.25 (4-4)

Again this is unofficial but from the looks of things there are a couple of games that really could shake up the seedings. The only spot that looks to be solidified is Rapp at 8th. The only way they can move out of the 8th seed is if Lancaster beats Northumberland but prob won't happen.

This Weeks Division 1 Region A Action

(#1) King & Queen vs King William
(#2) Essex vs (#8) Rappahannock
(#3) Northampton vs Arcadia
(#4) W&L vs (#6) Colonial Beach
(#7) Northumberland vs Lancaster

Could be a lot of movement with W&L or Northampton potentially moving to the 1 seed depending on certain results. Crazy scenarios are in play......this def should be a fun week
West Point plays @ Nandua

Reactions: NNDanalyst
Crazy how much this changed in just under a week.. really shakes up the playoff picture
This isn't the actual points standings. Just my personal rankings, but yes, lots of change

The way things are going right now, I wouldn't be totally surprised, if any of the 8 schools win the Region. A lot will come down to match-ups and which team shows up to play on that particular night

It’s Essex and all the others.

Sidenote: pretty bummed my Pointers didn’t get the W&L game tonight. Was planning to attend.

Alright, so I have no clue how K&Q will do vs KW. Seems like a pretty tall task to beat that very talented KW team with freakin Coach Kane as an assistant to boot.

BUT, are they the odds-on favorite to take Region A? Man, that canceled K&Q/Essex game is looming large.

Reactions: Reecesdad
The way things are going right now, I wouldn't be totally surprised, if any of the 8 schools win the Region. A lot will come down to match-ups and which team shows up to play on that particular night

Alright, so I have no clue how K&Q will do vs KW. Seems like a pretty tall task to beat that very talented KW team with freakin Coach Kane as an assistant to boot.

BUT, are they the odds-on favorite to take Region A? Man, that canceled K&Q/Essex game is looming large.
KW will give K&Q a beatdown just like everybody else this year not named Goochland.

But if you dig thru the quagmire of common opponents, strength of schedule,scores,injuries,timing of games cancelations,Covid, Coaching, Who's hot, who's not. Kwhs95fan is probably correct. It's gonna come down to what group of teenagers is really ready to play on a given night, and I'm sure there are going to be many more surprises.

Here is how I see the number one seed if:

Essex beats Rapp they secure the number one seed with a win by Franklin, Sussex, or Jamestown (if all 3 lose even with an Essex win they won't out point KQ)
W&L beats Colonial beach & Rapp beats Essex & they pick up some riders from KW & KG
KQ beats KW or Rapp beats Essex and Colonial Beach beats W&L. (also need for 2 to lose between Jamestown, Franklin & Sussex)
Northampton basically doesn't have a shot at the number one seed b/c KQ will have a better average than them.

If a couple of upsets happen with the rider situations it may change this but I'm assuming that Brunswick will lose. Franklin vs Southampton & Sussex vs Surry loom large for Essex.

Here is how I see the number one seed if:

Essex beats Rapp they secure the number one seed with a win by Franklin, Sussex, or Jamestown (if all 3 lose even with an Essex win they won't out point KQ)
W&L beats Colonial beach & Rapp beats Essex & they pick up some riders from KW & KG
KQ beats KW or Rapp beats Essex and Colonial Beach beats W&L. (also need for 2 to lose between Jamestown, Franklin & Sussex)
Northampton basically doesn't have a shot at the number one seed b/c KQ will have a better average than them.

If a couple of upsets happen with the rider situations it may change this but I'm assuming that Brunswick will lose. Franklin vs Southampton & Sussex vs Surry loom large for Essex.
I don't see Franklin beating Southampton. Southampton just beat Sussex the other night. The Surry/Sussex game is a toss up. The Procise kid is on vacation, I was told and didn't play on Monday night. Not sure if he will be back for the Surry game. As for Jamestown, they should be underdogs against Tabb, as well, but that one could be close too.

Last edited:
There's a lot of scenarios out there and I predict it will be really tight between Essex, K&Q and W&L....of course if certain outcomes happen!!

There's a lot of scenarios out there and I predict it will be really tight between Essex, K&Q and W&L....of course if certain outcomes happen!!
Can we all agree? The 2 biggest games are W&L/CB and Rapp/Esx?

The worst KQ can do is about 20.6666.

Essex and W&L would need everything to go there way to get to #1 and
everything rarely goes ones way, let alone for 2 teams. If they both win i think the region shakes out like this.
1 KQ
2 Essex
3 W&L
4 NH
5 WP
6 NU
7 CB
8 Rapp

If Colonial Beach wins:
1 KQ
2 Essex
3 NH
4 WP
5 CB
6 W&L
7 NU
8 Rapp

If Rapp wins, it's like throwing a hand grenade in the ratings. And they feel pretty good after their win, and Essex confidence took a hit after their loss. Sooooo... Great thing about H.S. football. You just never really know.

I don't see Franklin beating Southampton. Southampton just beat Sussex the other night. The Surry/Sussex game is a toss up. The Procise kid is on vacation, I was told and didn't play on Monday night. Not sure if he will be back for the Surry game. As for Jamestown, they should be underdogs against Tabb, as well, but that one could be close too.
Tabb beat Jamestown tonight. That was one of the games that Essex needed to go their way, but didn't

Reactions: Reecesdad
Oddly enough Middlesex (3) played the same amount of district games as Essex (3). As a matter of fact Middlesex played 3 of 4 in the Tidewater and Essex played 3 of 5 in the Northern Neck. Middlesex gets left out and Essex gets the #1 seed.
?????????????

Middlesex is ineligible because they flat out refuse to play KW and it's been that way for 3 years. Essex didn't play all of their district games because of Covid protocols. With that said, the teams that played more games definitely got the short end of the stick when it came to seeding. But it will all play out on the field (let's hope) and the cream will rise to the top. I could honestly see any of the top 7 going on a run and winning the Region.

Middlesex is ineligible because they flat out refuse to play KW and it's been that way for 3 years. Essex didn't play all of their district games because of Covid protocols. With that said, the teams that played more games definitely got the short end of the stick when it came to seeding. But it will all play out on the field (let's hope) and the cream will rise to the top. I could honestly see any of the top 7 going on a run and winning the Region.
If Middlesex were smart they should have scheduled a game with KW on a Monday or something and then forfeited and qualify for the playoffs....and even with not playing KW they still played more football games than Essex. I mean seriously, 6 games. No other playoff team in Class 1 football played less than 8 and most played 9 or 10. Probably need to have a rule change to prevent this sort of thing in the future.

If Middlesex were smart they should have scheduled a game with KW on a Monday or something and then forfeited and qualify for the playoffs....and even with not playing KW they still played more football games than Essex. I mean seriously, 6 games. No other playoff team in Class 1 football played less than 8 and most played 9 or 10. Probably need to have a rule change to prevent this sort of thing in the future..
Middlesex hasn't even scheduled KW in the last 3 years and the last time they did play, the Middlesex coach at the time, made his players lay on the field and allow KW to score. As for the number of games played, I can't blame the schools as much as I do the Region, as they didn't have a set amount of games that had to be played.

• Wow
Reactions: gwb16
I told everyone it was gonna be close between Essex, W&L and K&Q. Can't imagine it being any closer finish than 20.5, 20.25 and 20.22. And, Northumberland only played five games. Their other two games were forfeits.

Middlesex hasn't even scheduled KW in the last 3 years and the last time they did play, the Middlesex coach at the time, made his players lay on the field and allow KW to score. As for the number of games played, I can't blame the schools as much as I do the Region, as they didn't have a set amount of games that had to be played.
The Middlesex AD and Coaching Staff are punishing the student athletes. Let the kids suit up and get after it. Give them a chance! Nothing like telling your entire community "We don't believe in the kids or our coaching ability."
That's sad. HOWEVER...this discussion underscores what I brought up earlier on another thread about Poquoson playing in the Bay Rivers District. They're a 2A school playing against 3A and 4A schools all year and got hosed in the 2A seeding this year. If they elect to play out of district and play other 2A schools and earn a better winning percentage for playoff seeding considerations, would regional AD's exclude them from the playoffs?

This whole District BS is outdated. District Champ has no value. Cut it. Time to move on.

Middlesex is and was on the verge of not playing football at all. They had a roster of 24 or 25, about 8 never played football before, and had 2 seniors, if they played KW they wouldn't have been able to finish the game and most likely the season after that. It makes 0 sense to put that team on the fiel with KW, you would be punishing them by playing KW. They beat Windsor, Lancaster, and Mathews - all bad, bad teams. Middlesex didn't deserve to go the playoffs and wouldn't have been competetive in any round 1 game either. I just hope they did enough to keep the program alive and convince more kids to come out next year. Mathews finished the season with 14 kids. That team and their fans should be proud for hanging in there. Hopefully they too can keep football alive.

We're really dealing with a lot of negative outside influences in regards to high school football. 24 kids? Hell, that's a decent size squad. West Point fielded a team a few years ago that had...15? And made one hell of a playoff run. Injuries happen. Good...no GREAT conditioning can help reduce those risks. Knees and concussions are a different story....

But I understand the argument. BUT, there's an alternative. Ask Coach Moore to agree to 8 minute quarters from the beginning of the game. I've known him since our Hamilton Holmes Elementary School days...I betcha he'd agree.

We're really dealing with a lot of negative outside influences in regards to high school football. 24 kids? Hell, that's a decent size squad. West Point fielded a team a few years ago that had...15? And made one hell of a playoff run. Injuries happen. Good...no GREAT conditioning can help reduce those risks. Knees and concussions are a different story....

But I understand the argument. BUT, there's an alternative. Ask Coach Moore to agree to 8 minute quarters from the beginning of the game. I've known him since our Hamilton Holmes Elementary School days...I betcha he'd agree.
Sounds like enough kids but out of that its really about 10 varsity kids and 14 JV. They would have played a JV season but wanted the upperclassmen to have an opportunity to play. The year you talk about WP having 15, they still had a JV team. By all accounts, Coach Moore has been very sportsmanlike when it comes to running up the score, however it hasn't always been that way at KW.

Reactions: gwb16
Sounds like enough kids but out of that its really about 10 varsity kids and 14 JV. They would have played a JV season but wanted the upperclassmen to have an opportunity to play. The year you talk about WP having 15, they still had a JV team. By all accounts, Coach Moore has been very sportsmanlike when it comes to running up the score, however it hasn't always been that way at KW.
Ouch...those numbers weren't previously explained. That sheds a different light. And I agree, the year that KW beat K&Q 90-6 or whatever the hell it was, was unnecessary and extremely embarrassing for me personally. However, subs were in and how do you tell kids to laydown?
As a fan of the Tidewater District and Northern Neck, I want to see all of the teams be competitive and injury free each week. KW has been a dominating force in District and Regional play since 1980. It didn't just happen overnight. It started when they 400 students from 8-12...we had 485 students when I graduated in 85. Athletes and great coaching have blessed that program. However....State Championships haven't been plentiful.

KW catches grief because of their enrollment and playing in the TD, geographic misfortune. They can't help that. Playing in a district that is flush with tiny 1A teams does ZERO to prepare them come playoff time. I'm sure they would be happy to drop everyone, save for WP (because of the history and gate) and fill their schedule with high quality 2A, 3A and 4A games....but this archaic District BS is preventing that from happening.

Reactions: Festivus1
If backups are scoring at will, it’s hard to fault them. I also believe that teams in competitive sports shouldn’t EXPECT any team to actively avoid scoring. That’s the point of the activity!

Reactions: Festivus1 and gwb16
Ouch...those numbers weren't previously explained. That sheds a different light. And I agree, the year that KW beat K&Q 90-6 or whatever the hell it was, was unnecessary and extremely embarrassing for me personally. However, subs were in and how do you tell kids to laydown?
As a fan of the Tidewater District and Northern Neck, I want to see all of the teams be competitive and injury free each week. KW has been a dominating force in District and Regional play since 1980. It didn't just happen overnight. It started when they 400 students from 8-12...we had 485 students when I graduated in 85. Athletes and great coaching have blessed that program. However....State Championships haven't been plentiful.

KW catches grief because of their enrollment and playing in the TD, geographic misfortune. They can't help that. Playing in a district that is flush with tiny 1A teams does ZERO to prepare them come playoff time. I'm sure they would be happy to drop everyone, save for WP (because of the history and gate) and fill their schedule with high quality 2A, 3A and 4A games....but this archaic District BS is preventing that from happening.
KW could voluntarily leave the Tidewater District and join the Bay Rivers District and keep WP as a non-district game. Maybe the two districts could work out a trade with Bruton. Bruton plays a lot of Region 1A teams now. By comparison Bruton is a relatively small 2A AND KW is almost 3A. It would be better for everybody.

Reactions: WP02alum and gwb16
KW could voluntarily leave the Tidewater District and join the Bay Rivers District and keep WP as a non-district game. Maybe the two districts could work out a trade with Bruton. Bruton plays a lot of Region 1A teams now. By comparison Bruton is a relatively small 2A AND KW is almost 3A. It would be better for everybody.
I personally wouldn't mind seeing that. Travel costs would be horrible. And they would have to petition the VHSL to play up. We know how fickle the VHSL has become about that cute little golden nugget. Bruton SHOULD be in the TD. Poquoson would rule the roost. They would beat everybody like KW does. Pains me to say that, but it is what it is. Elliot Duty does an amazing job with that bunch of kids every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT