ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Henry GS Chilhowie

Like I said show me a signature win.

I just gave you three. GW, Virginia High, and either Burton or PH.

Keep running that mouth, where are all the state titles the Shenandoah has produced in 2A?
Over the past seven years in 1A, Shenandoah has two, Dogwood has two, when the rest came from Regions C and D.

Keep running that mouth, where are all the state titles the Shenandoah has produced in 2A?
Over the past seven years in 1A, Shenandoah has two, Dogwood has two, when the rest came from Regions C and D.

Exactly why are you bringing up 2a here? This is the 1a board.

And what exactly is your point with over last 7 years? So Region B has 4, while C AND D total has 3? Doesnt help your argument. In all fairness, in those 7 years, Region D would have 1, as GW and Galax are both C.

And over those last 7 years, how has Region D done in 2a since you want to bring up 2a. What I see is, Robert E. Lee and Wilson as runner up, compared to 1 Richlands runner up. So another terrible point by you comparing Region D vs Region B or Shenandoah

Over the past seven years in 1A, Shenandoah has two, Dogwood has two, when the rest came from Regions C and D.[/QUOTE

So your comparing districts to regions? Those teams you listed probably wouldnt win 2 games in the Shenandoah. Not knocking region C they have some good teams but D is down big time and you know it and everybody else in the state knows it. Not knocking the teams just stating facts.

Exactly why are you bringing up 2a here? This is the 1a board.

And what exactly is your point with over last 7 years? So Region B has 4, while C AND D total has 3? Doesnt help your argument. In all fairness, in those 7 years, Region D would have 1, as GW and Galax are both C.

And over those last 7 years, how has Region D done in 2a since you want to bring up 2a. What I see is, Robert E. Lee and Wilson as runner up, compared to 1 Richlands runner up. So another terrible point by you comparing Region D vs Region B or Shenandoah

He was bragging about the Shenandoah, NOT Region B. Big bad Shenandoah has won two state titles in either 1A or 2A in several years.
GC from a title from Region D eight years ago, Union made the Final Four twice, Richlands played for a title and the epic choke job in 2015 cost them that title.
The whole point was he was belittling Chilhowie and I was taking up for them. Their location makes it almost impossible to schedule huge games, and dude pretending beating the #4 seed in 2A Region D and the 2-3 seeds in 1A RD weren't quality wins.
Galax has the best win in 1A over Radford, not Riverheads.
And on 2A, that supposed juggernaut Shenandoah has not won a title since 2004. Riverheads is a dominant powerhouse, but the rest of the Shenedoah have very little history.

Gap was the 5seed, Wilson was the 8th seed, Luray was the 3rd. Chilhowie beat the 4th seed in Region D so obviously that's a quality win if beating Gap or Luray are quality wins for Riverheads and it's not unfathomable a good 1A team like PH or Burton could beat any of the Shenandoah teams after Luray.

Opponent Rankings:
Riverheads:
Bath-274 state ranking
Draft-236
East Rock-47
B. Gap-161
S. Jackson-275
Wilson-194
Luray-161
RE Lee-161
Woodstock -104

Chilhowie:
Marion-225
Burton-199
Twin Springs -304
GW-176
Northwood -304
Virginia High -141
RR-287
Eastside-281
PH-183

Yeah, HUGE difference overall :/

Chilhowie is the only region D 1A team that’s good and I have given them credit. Apparently since I would not pick them against any of the remaining three I am shitting on them. And don’t get it twisted about the rankings on VHSL reference, they are not even close in most cases. I stand by my statement. Viriginia high would get drilled by most the ‘doah along with PH and Burton that you mentioned.

You seem like a reasonable person in other threads but are pissed off cause the Warriors don’t have the entire state fawning over them to win it all. They very well could do just that and great on them if they do. I am telling you that their undefeated record is good but doesn’t scare anyone off due to the competition it was done against. When/if they beat Galax this week I may reverse my opinion but that’s the only shade I am casting on them.

He was bragging about the Shenandoah, NOT Region B. Big bad Shenandoah has won two state titles in either 1A or 2A in several years.
GC from a title from Region D eight years ago, Union made the Final Four twice, Richlands played for a title and the epic choke job in 2015 cost them that title.
The whole point was he was belittling Chilhowie and I was taking up for them. Their location makes it almost impossible to schedule huge games, and dude pretending beating the #4 seed in 2A Region D and the 2-3 seeds in 1A RD weren't quality wins.
And on 2A, that supposed juggernaut Shenandoah has not won a title since 2004. Riverheads is a dominant powerhouse, but the rest of the Shenedoah have very little history.

Gap was the 5seed, Wilson was the 8th seed, Luray was the 3rd. Chilhowie beat the 4th seed in Region D so obviously that's a quality win if beating Gap or Luray are quality wins for Riverheads and it's not unfathomable a good 1A team like PH or Burton could beat any of the Shenandoah teams after Luray.

But you cant change your own parameters to meet your argument. And it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if Chilhowie wins it all, I think they are a great team.

But you brought up the Regions. You brought up 7 years. So you cant then say we are talking about Shenandoah not Region and cant then say well Gste City won 8 years ago.

I'm not talking bad about any region or any program, not who I am, but by results in that 7 year period, the Shenandoah has had more success than Region D in either 1a or 2a. I didn't bring up Final 4s, I think in those 7 years the Shenandoah had a few more Final 4s, I know at least 2.

I wasnt bragging on the Shenandoah I was merely stating facts. Those teams you list wouldnt fair well against the majority of the Doah teams. Now I will brag a little on the Doah since 2000 they have 6 state championships and 3 runner ups. Not too shabby IMO. If Chilhowie beats Galax I will give them some props but until then I stand by my opinion they have had very little competition and IMO are not as good as there record. The proof will be in the pudding over the next 2 weeks.

I wasnt bragging on the Shenandoah I was merely stating facts. Those teams you list wouldnt fair well against the majority of the Doah teams. Now I will brag a little on the Doah since 2000 they have 6 state championships and 3 runner ups. Not too shabby IMO. If Chilhowie beats Galax I will give them some props but until then I stand by my opinion they have had very little competition and IMO are not as good as there record. The proof will be in the pudding over the next 2 weeks.
I respect your opinion. It's good decision for people to have different ones but how could it be said that they aren't as good as their record. They have won 13 straight. I know they have played some weaker teams but not all 13. 2 out the 13 they have played before. They played a team last weak 49-6 that put 23 points on the the first time they played them. I can't see 11 teams being as weak as some think. They have out scored their oppenants 623-86. The starters have sat out most if not all of the second half. If they were just a mediocre team I can't see them putting that many points on the teams, holding the teams in check and starters sitting out the majority of the second half of not 1 or 2 but all the games. But like you said, we will see come the next 2 weeks. I'm sure if they do run the table, they will still be some that will find excuses for them not being legit.

I respect your opinion. It's good decision for people to have different ones but how could it be said that they aren't as good as their record. They have won 13 straight. I know they have played some weaker teams but not all 13. 2 out the 13 they have played before. They played a team last weak 49-6 that put 23 points on the the first time they played them. I can't see 11 teams being as weak as some think. They have out scored their oppenants 623-86. The starters have sat out most if not all of the second half. If they were just a mediocre team I can't see them putting that many points on the teams, holding the teams in check and starters sitting out the majority of the second half of not 1 or 2 but all the games. But like you said, we will see come the next 2 weeks. I'm sure if they do run the table, they will still be some that will find excuses for them not being legit.
If they run the table I will be the 1st one to congratulate them and will gladly eat crow.

Reactions: WhudeyCHS
I think all four teams are legit but to say we scored this amount points and gave up this amount is not why I think these teams are legit you go 13-0 that’s enough for me you go 11-1 in predominantly 2a district you lose 3 of your first 4 or 5 and then run the table you beat arguably one the best teams in 2a (Radford) this makes you legit

Whether these teams win or lose, I hope they get the respect they deserve. I'll guarantee that these KIDS at Chilhowie work just as hard as the ones down in Greenville, but they aren't being talked about the same.

What I see is 4 teams who were in the exact same position as they were last year, and 3 of them are getting respect. The one who isnt is the only one undefeated. They have done what they needed to with the schedule they had. I'm close enough and been here long enough to remember when Riverheads didn't play that tough of a schedule, even the words from some was cupcakes. Yet the overriding majority said "you play who is in the schedule."

So what is the difference?

You have a point Gunz. A team plays who is on the schedule so kudos for handling their business. The only point I was making is don’t make this out to be anymore than it is. A good season by a team that most expected to be in this position.

I think they have as good of a shot as anybody and have been one of the few that has stated it on other threads. Listening to the radio broadcast and some of the comments on these boards have soured me personally. Don’t get me wrong, I put some bravado on at times but when someone started with PH would beat Galax easily and the quality of the opponents, I took offense.

As fence patrol stated, if they win whether it be this week or both weeks, I will say good season and congratulations on the teams success. Heck if they lose they have had a good season. Not that my opinion matters at all but they have some quality players that have certainly been getting it done.

Most people have shown Chilhowie a lot of respect on here but everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I know for a fact they are legitimate, they were damn good last year and are even better this year. If they played Riverheads or Galax schedule would they be undefeated? Probably not but that wouldn't make them any less of a good football team and we will never know because they played the schedule that was put before them and absolutely dominated. Hats off to Chilhowie on another great year and I hope Galax can come over there and pull out the win but that is a hell of a lot easier said than done.

Lol they certainly get there share of respect on this side of the state! Thats all over the boards and podcasts on this side of the state. Not saying they don't deserve it, although it is alot to live up to. And if they don't win it all this year it will be very disheartening for them I am sure. Especially as much hype there is around then and their being so many seniors this year. If I was Essex or especially Galax I would be tickled to death as all the pressure is on Chilhowie and Riverheads. Although Riverheads is used to that target and expectation so it is a little easier for them to manage through.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Lol they certainly get there share of respect on this side of the state! Thats all over the boards and podcasts on this side of the state. Not saying they don't deserve it, although it is alot to live up to. And if they don't win it all this year it will be very disheartening for them I am sure. Especially as much hype there is around then and their being so many seniors this year. If I was Essex or especially Galax I would be tickled to death as all the pressure is on Chilhowie and Riverheads. Although Riverheads is used to that target and expectation so it is a little easier for them to manage through.

Despite Chilhowie beating them in A barn burner last year, I would wager most people expect Galax to beat them. I may be wrong, but if there was a poll, I would wager more than 60% would pick Galax. Chilhowie has had a small target on their backs in the region, but at this stage, Galax (who beat the Region C 2A champ like a drum) has to be considered the favorite.

I posted their state rankings in Another post, aside from East Rock, Riverheads' schedule isn't that much higher ranked than Chilhowie.
If losing to Galax means a team isn't very good, I guess the current 2A Region C champ isn't very good either.

I posted their state rankings in Another post, aside from East Rock, Riverheads' schedule isn't that much higher ranked than Chilhowie.
If losing to Galax means a team isn't very good, I guess the current 2A Region C champ isn't very good either.
I respectfully disagree with the rankings. Riverheads played 8 2A teams, 6 of which made the playoffs, and 2 which are the 2A region B Champion and Runner up. So to say the strength of schedule is the same is just not possible. Having said that I still wish Chilhowie and the rest of the teams still alive the best of luck.

Where are these state rankings from? I know this has been a topic on here this year, as someone beat the #1 team in 2a, yet most didn't agree that team was #1.

I'm sure you can go to each different place and they will each have different rankings.

While I don't think Chilhowie is being overrated, I dont think it is even close to compare Central Woodstock to George Wythe or East Rockingham to Patrick Henry. I don't think the schedules look to be close, but the schedules arent going to determine the winners

Kinda my point earlier in this thread may not have said it right but I don’t think who you play what you beat them by etc. really has no bearing on how good you are it would be different if everyone played same teams we have the final four this is what they all play for to be here with an opportunity to win it all. We all are going to be bias to our team I think Riverheads is the best and I hope everyone thinks the same of their team thats what makes us get on here and read what everyone thinks. If we agreed with each other wouldn’t nobody be on here

And just to show you can look somewhere else and get a different ranking, here is Maxpreps. Not going through each teams full schedule.

East Rockingham 21
Central Woodstock 53
Luray 126
Buffalo Gap 130
Patrick Henry 139

So according to them, Riverheads had 4 harder games than the toughest of Chilhowie. Does that mean Chilhowie cant beat them? Absolutely not. But saying they played a tougher schedule, I don't know. And to use 1 place to find rankings and say it as if it were definitive is not telling the whole story.

And just for your information.

Chilhowie 41 and Riverheads 42.

I am not leaving Galax and Essex out, they can certainly win, just didn't go any further since the argument was how Chilhowie played just as hard a schedule and these are the state rankings that prove it

Where are these state rankings from? I know this has been a topic on here this year, as someone beat the #1 team in 2a, yet most didn't agree that team was #1.

I'm sure you can go to each different place and they will each have different rankings.

While I don't think Chilhowie is being overrated, I dont think it is even close to compare Central Woodstock to George Wythe or East Rockingham to Patrick Henry. I don't think the schedules look to be close, but the schedules arent going to determine the winners

I used VHSL Reference. I know, it's far from the most accurate accounting of the rankings, but it's in the ballpark. I made a point to say aside from East Rockingham, as they are truly one of the best in the state. But teams like Stonewall, Buffalo Gap, Wilson, etc... aren't that much better than teams like Virginia High or a Patrick Henry or JIB.

And just to show you can look somewhere else and get a different ranking, here is Maxpreps. Not going through each teams full schedule.

East Rockingham 21
Central Woodstock 53
Luray 126
Buffalo Gap 130
Patrick Henry 139

So according to them, Riverheads had 4 harder games than the toughest of Chilhowie. Does that mean Chilhowie cant beat them? Absolutely not. But saying they played a tougher schedule, I don't know. And to use 1 place to find rankings and say it as if it were definitive is not telling the whole story.

And just for your information.

Chilhowie 41 and Riverheads 42.

I am not leaving Galax and Essex out, they can certainly win, just didn't go any further since the argument was how Chilhowie played just as hard a schedule and these are the state rankings that prove it

You are also, either purposefully or not, twisting my point. I never said Chilhowie played anything close to the schedule of a Riverheads. This started when someone said Chilhowie has no good wins, and I pointed out that Virginia High was the 4 seed 2A in Region D, PH was the 2 seed in 1A, Burton the 3 seed, plus GW. Hell, Marion at 4-6 had a better record than Draft and was basically on par with 5-6 Wilson. I've never claimed anything about CHS having a schedule close to Riverheads, who with Galax plays the toughest schedule around. But I was stating that the Warriors do have a couple good wins and those wins were convincing.

Just some information from Calpreps.com. Take it for what it's worth. Will be meaningless after December 8th.

Team Schedule strength Opponents W-L
Galax -1.7 85-64
Riverheads -4.7 72-65
Chilhowie -12.8 72-74
Essex -13.6 79-62

Galax had toughest schedule along with best opponents wins and losses

You are also, either purposefully or not, twisting my point. I never said Chilhowie played anything close to the schedule of a Riverheads. This started when someone said Chilhowie has no good wins, and I pointed out that Virginia High was the 4 seed 2A in Region D, PH was the 2 seed in 1A, Burton the 3 seed, plus GW. Hell, Marion at 4-6 had a better record than Draft and was basically on par with 5-6 Wilson. I've never claimed anything about CHS having a schedule close to Riverheads, who with Galax plays the toughest schedule around. But I was stating that the Warriors do have a couple good wins and those wins were convincing.

Sure Draft had a down year, but they were probably one of the youngest teams in state. I haven't seen Marion so cant say how they matchup, and I would bet you haven't seen the teams up this way to say how they matchup.

There are certainly exceptions with the top teams in each class, but its rare that you find smaller schools compete weekly with larger schools, so comparing a team like BG and PH really doesn't hold weight. Somewhere, you (I believe) said taking out ER their schedule was similar.

Like I said, it doesnt matter at this point. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Chilhowie win it all. They are the "newcomer" and some dont think that they belong. The thing that gets me with that is 2 things, one most of these people haven't seen them to have a good idea how good they are (I haven't, so I have opinion on how good they are).

Or the even sillier thing, well I saw them last year, and they couldn't hang. Well guess who else was "seen" last year by people. Radford (2-8 to 12-1), East Rock I think was 7-4 last year, and wasn't in the game against Riverheads, this year 13-0 and won 28-0.

It is hard to go undefeated, no matter what the schedule is. I believe in all 5 championship years, Riverheads was undefeated 1 time. In fact, the 4 classes I pay attention to, 1a-4a, not one was undefeated last year. The year before, only Appomattox was undefeated.

This year: 1a- Chilhowie, 2a- East Rock and Goochland, 3a- none, 4a- Eastern View and Blacksburg

I know this is the 1A Board so I’ll keep this brief. VHS has the talent to beat EVERYONE in the ‘doah except maybe ER. They also have the propensity to have head scratching losses. But to say they would get drilled by most in ‘doah shows a distinct lack of football knowledge from areas outside of yours...or just trying to be provocative.

You could be right, I haven't seen them, and why I didn't make an opinion on them, but you sure do travel around the state a lot, you seem to have seen a whole lot of teams.

Nothing in person this year unfortunately but video, lots of video. And I read on the SWVA boards from time to time. Just my opinion but there has been a significant drop in the overall talent from SWVA. Not trying to start a war as it’s an opinion. It could be lack of numbers or maybe the best athletes aren’t playing but the product isn’t what it was 8+years ago. I will go further and say anyone that argues that has a lack of football knowledge.

Not really. I follow Eastern View (Culpeper) because I lived there for years and have friends kids playing. We now live in Madison and my wife went there. My sister lives in Abingdon so I keep up with them/JSB and VHS and try to catch a game or two each year. I get to Roanoke area a lot and kind of took a liking to Byrd. No real reason. Just happened to be in the area a few years ago and caught a game. Follow them (mostly online). Plus my job takes me around the state so I get to see lots of different schools. Not much in Tidewater area though. I can’t stand pro sports and my Thundering Herd never does much so I go to as many HS events as possible.

My point was unless you have seen all these teams I dont see how anyone can say who would most likely beat who. Certainly not enough to say that someone has no football knowledge because of an opinion.

That isnt directed just to you. To just assume someone cant play with someone because of their past, or results is really only looking at things in the way you want. Sure we can all have opinions, but to state things as more than that really doesnt look the best.

Its extremely rare where an individual sees a lot of different teams in person. Film can tell you some things, but its really hard to see what is needed to really make a determination from film, because that is based on the parameters of a film. You could see a really fast kid in film, and he looks that fast because of the competition on video.

Not sure where you are going with this. I just questioned a comment that a very talented team would be a bottom feeder in the Shenandoah. And without any firsthand knowledge to back it up. I understand that everybody is entitled to their opinion and I respect that. But expect to be challenged on blanket comments.

And I do not think I have ever made a prediction on this site. Those will inevitably bite you in the buttocks. HS sports are way too unpredictable to make predictions, IMHO.

I’m out and back to greener pastures!

"VHS has the talent to beat EVERYONE in the doah' except maybe ER."

I dont know whether that is true or not, and that is my point. I haven't seen them, but unless you have then you cant either, certainly not enough to say that someone who thinks differently has no football knowledge.

Like I said, they have the talent and I have seen them and most of the doah. I said this in response to a post stating that they might be able to beat one or maybe two teams in the Shenandoah District. Didn’t say they WOULD beat everyone and you omitted the part of the post about them having eye raising losses. But nice job of cherrypicking. You obviously are a ‘doah guy. Good for you!

Yes I am a Doah guy. And I have made no predictions on how ANY team would do in the district. I wouldn't have any issue with your comment saying they would have the talent, but for someone to have a different opinion for you to say they have no football knowledge is either trying to make yourself look like you know more than anyone or say that others just aren't knowledgeable at all. When you have no idea what their knowledge is, all you know is they have a different opinion from yours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT