ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus Heavily talented, but undercoached...

fattyhawk2013

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 23, 2013
Hampton 44- Phoebus 0. This has become a familiar trend in big games. Congrats to Hampton on the victory but Phoebus was outcoached the whole game; and to think Phoebus had more time to prepare. This happened in 2012 against Lake Taylor 54-0. Phoebus was undefeated and the Peninsula District Champs. This happened in 2013 against Kings Fork when they lost and was favored. In 2014 against Against Monacan 35 - 0. 2015 against Magna Vista, a 3A team which they trailed the whole game and now 44- 0 against Hampton. This team wasnt even competitive and if you asked me they team quit on coach Blunt. the thing is Phoebus win win its fair share of games because they have the talent to do so, the problem to me is that they lack the Head Coach that matches their talent. My prediction: Phoebus will never win a State championship under coach Blunt..go ahead and put your money, your house and your job up...its a safe bet!! This doesnt happen under Dee or Sexton...that's a safe bet too!

Demeaning a Coach in this manner is just not allow allowed here. Please try to retain more control on the future.

Reactions: flsnupe
Hampton 44- Phoebus 0. This has become a familiar trend in big games. Congrats to Hampton on the victory but Phoebus was outcoached the whole game; and to think Phoebus had more time to prepare. This happened in 2012 against Lake Taylor 54-0. Phoebus was undefeated and the Peninsula District Champs. This happened in 2013 against Kings Fork when they lost and was favored. In 2014 against Against Monacan 35 - 0. 2015 against Magna Vista, a 3A team which they trailed the whole game and now 44- 0 against Hampton. This team wasnt even competitive and if you asked me they team quit on coach Blunt. the thing is Phoebus win win its fair share of games because they have the talent to do so, the problem to me is that they lack the Head Coach that matches their talent. My prediction: Phoebus will never win a State championship under coach Blunt..go ahead and put your money, your house and your job up...its a safe bet!! This doesnt happen under Dee or Sexton...that's a safe bet too!
Classless. Kids quit on coach and you blame the coach. Lost a game to a pretty good Hampton team, it happens, season not over. I hope the kids don't read you're drivel and buy into your garbage.

The better team won today. Dazz Newsome was sensational. I haven't seen a player with his game changing ability since Percy Harvin or maybe even Ronald Curry. Phoebus never showed up and Hampton had a lot to do with it. Back to the drawing board for the Phantoms and they will respond.

The better team won today. Dazz Newsome was sensational. I haven't seen a player with his game changing ability since Percy Harvin or maybe even Ronald Curry. Phoebus never showed up and Hampton had a lot to do with it. Back to the drawing board for the Phantoms and they will respond.
Why didn't Phoebus show up?

Classless. Kids quit on coach and you blame the coach. Lost a game to a pretty good Hampton team, it happens, season not over. I hope the kids don't read you're drivel and buy into your garbage.
Whatever man. This is a forum and I didnt use any inappropriate language. The season is not over but Hampton is not 44 points better than Phoebus either. Phsblueandgold said it best. Phoebus didnt show up. I wonder why that is...oh with your analogy it happens right...you mad about the post but everything i said was true....
You can call me what you want...classless whatever...I tell the truth

They showed up the other 5 games, does coach get credit there? Truth is up to interpretation when you offer an opinion, just cuz you say it don't make it so. I speak the truth as well - you classless.

1550x872

I don't think this was the coach's fault. That's just Dazz.

They showed up the other 5 games, does coach get credit there? Truth is up to interpretation when you offer an opinion, just cuz you say it don't make it so. I speak the truth as well - you classless.
Right...I'm classless...lol Nothing you say bothers me...what i said was my opinion and the program is not the same. Im sorry if this bothers you or anyone else...it is what it is...and that is my interpretation..which is Phoebus can't win the big game....agree or not..its a free country and its my opinion.

With a top team like Woodside coming up next, the team doesnt have to dwell on the Hampton game, a win this week and the train is back on the tracks. Lopsided score but only 1 game in a very good season right now. Never panic over 1 game.

1550x872

I don't think this was the coach's fault. That's just Dazz.

Best INT - and return - I've seen live by a High School Football player. As I mentioned in my Video Interview with Mike Smith that we'll have up later, it's not fair to compare him to Ronald Curry or Tyrod Taylor (largely I think because of what those guys accomplished with state titles and went on to star at the collegiate ranks as well as make it to the NFL), but no doubt about it - a special all-around performance.

You don't see 4TD's 4 different ways every game with those scores being a 103-yard INT TD return one-handed, a 65-yard punt return, 74-yard TD catch, touchdown run. Not to mention, he made the tackle on what could've been a Phoebus kick return TD, had a 2-point conversion run and never seems to come off the field, having an impact in all three phases of the game.

Some people have commented that they felt Newsome lacked "elite top-end speed," which I personally disagree with completely. Also, some colleges wondered about what position he could fit in at because he plays so many so well, but doesn't necessarily have one specialty. Maryland, which sees him as a corner, got a fine football player, regardless of what position he plays. To me, he's a day-one contributor on special teams no matter what because he's an aggressive kid who can return kicks/punts and isn't afraid to hit someone.

Quite a few colleges out there will be kicking themselves that they didn't recruit him in my opinion.

Reactions: flsnupe and gwb16
An opinion is not truth. Your not classless for speaking how you feel about a coach but you are fooled if you think the kids quit on Coach Blunt. He is a good, young, up and coming Coach. Sexton was handed a silver platter in Phoebus from Dee who struggled in the beginning (took time to build a solid program) and Dee was handed a silver platter in Oscar Smith. Remember these are 14-18 yr old kids trying to execute a plan. The best team won period.

An opinion is not truth. Your not classless for speaking how you feel about a coach but you are fooled if you think the kids quit on Coach Blunt. He is a good, young, up and coming Coach. Sexton was handed a silver platter in Phoebus from Dee who struggled in the beginning (took time to build a solid program) and Dee was handed a silver platter in Oscar Smith. Remember these are 14-18 yr old kids trying to execute a plan. The best team won period.
I hear you..Try telling that to the parents, you will be explaining all day. BTW Sexton was in the program since 91 and help Coach Dee build it. He wasnt handed anything and he won 3 championships. Coach Dee had one losing season at Phoebus 1985 and won ever since. If anyone was handed something it was Blunt in 2012. The better team might have one, but in my opinion Blunt gets out coached in big games and Hampton is not 44 points better than Phoebus either...the kids just didnt show up to play. Maybe it was something in the water the kids drank.....IDK...it is what it is

If they are supposed to win, then why have they only one once in the last 12 years or so? And Woodside has had some very strong teams during that time. No… Something is up in Phoebus land.

Reactions: gwb16
of course numbers dont mean everything but they mean something

Woodside, in my opinion, should have done better in the past but Phoebus had some phenomenal teams as well with multiple D-1 players. The constant, "what's wrong with Phoebus" banter is overblown. Teams around them have caught up and they don't have as many superstars as they used to.

Phoebus is the same team. What they lost was the mystique. If you've been watching and reading over the years, Coachs have said the same thing many times "They won because they're Phoebus".

No question, they have had talent. They still have talent. But the difference here is that no one just marks the loss column anymore because Phoebus is on their calendar.

If they are supposed to win, then why have they only one once in the last 12 years or so? And Woodside has had some very strong teams during that time. No… Something is up in Phoebus land.
Thank you Guys. Thats all I was trying to say, but people was making it seem like I WAS DEMEANING A COACH...

Phoebus is the same team. What they lost was the mystique. If you've been watching and reading over the years, Coachs have said the same thing many times "They won because they're Phoebus".

No question, they have had talent. They still have talent. But the difference here is that no one just marks the loss column anymore because Phoebus is on their calendar.
Phoebus still have athletes but the attendance is down...thats why they are a 3A team now. They always had low enrollments but what is missing is superb coaching...that with the same athletes and consistency built the mystique. For instance, when Steve jobs was let go at Apple, they were a top IT company at the time of his departure...but very quickly they became mediocre to the point that they lost huge profits and had to beg Jobs to come back. When Jobs returned, Apple moved back to the top. These kids are not being coached up...period. The next time anyone goes to a game...just watch. When a player(s) comes off the field you dont see a coach coaching him during the course of the game, plus the whole philosophy has changed...the sad part is Phoebus has enough talent to beat inferior teams but if they play a team with decent talent and a good coach they will lose 9 times out of 10. Blunt is no Bill Dee or Stan Sexton. You dont replace a head coach of a major program with an assistant coach with no head coaching experience. No one will ever see Mike Smith being replace by an assistant with no head coaching experience. Even Oscar Smith got it right. They lost Rich Morgan and what they do, they replaced him with a proven head coach, and winner of multiple championships...Coach Dee! When was the last time Phoebus lost two games in a row and both by shutouts? Its just sad to see...

I wouldn't want sexton anywhere near my football program. There's a reason why he's not there despite his success.

Doesn't appear that many "big name" transfers are heading over to Phoebus anymore. Can't say that is the lone reason, but it does bring to question why some of the PD's better athletes are deciding to stay at "their house" these days.

Doesn't appear that many "big name" transfers are heading over to Phoebus anymore. Can't say that is the lone reason, but it does bring to question why some of the PD's better athletes are deciding to stay at "their house" these days.
NymYaUjNGkxEI.gif

THIS!!!!

I can speak on the Phoebus LT series. We had lost so many close games to Phoebus over the years including 2011 when we blew a 17-7 halftime lead against Phoebus at home and lost 20-17, that our kids were very motivated. Unlike a lot of teams statewide the Phoebus name NEVER put any fear in our kids. Phoebus won a lot of games because of the name of their jersey. I think that night in Harbor Park the Phoebus "mystique" took a huge blow. No one fears the Phantoms anymore. Add in kids are staying at their own HS and they are a very good program just not elite anymore.

On another note LT-Phoebus are suppose to hook up next cycle to renew the rivalry.

Phoebus didn't have all of these transfers and didn't need them to get them over the hump to become dominant. They have always had talent. They might have had 1 or 2 transfers come in but the kids chose to come there because Phoebus consistently won. Whats different now is the coaching, hell Phoebus has transfers this year. Whats missing is a true philosophy, they have no identity now. Smash mouth, TEAMme football is gone. People can say Phoebus won because of transfers, they can say they won because of their mystique, but the real reason Phoebus won was because of quality athletes within Phoebus halls, a sound veteran coaching staff and a true philosophy with a focus on defense wins championships That year Phoebus lost to LT in the playoffs (2012) they were the Peninsula district champs. LT and Phoebus always played close games, yet they got beat 54 - 0. No one would argue that LT wasn't better than Phoebus that year but they wasn't 54 points better. I have never seen an undefeated Peninsula district champion get beat by 54 points in the 1st round of the playoffs, and not just beat, but shutout.

That year Phoebus lost to LT in the playoffs (2012) they were the Peninsula district champs. LT and Phoebus always played close games, yet they got beat 54 - 0. No one would argue that LT wasn't better than Phoebus that year but they wasn't 54 points better. I have never seen an undefeated Peninsula district champion get beat by 54 points in the 1st round of the playoffs, and not just beat, but shutout.

That was the regional final. Both teams were 13-0 entering that game.

That was the regional final. Both teams were 13-0 entering that game.
I will give you that. LT was clearly better, but not 54 points better. Phoebus got outcoached and made no adjustments. If you ask me LT had better athletes in previous years when these two met, but LT lost because of excellent coaching not because of a mystique that was mentioned in a previous post.

I will give you that. LT was clearly better, but not 54 points better. Phoebus got outcoached and made no adjustments. If you ask me LT had better athletes in previous years when these two met, but LT lost because of excellent coaching not because of a mystique that was mentioned in a previous post.
I've been associated with LT since 2004 season and every time we lost to Phoebus it was a close game. 2008 was a slugfest at Harbor Park, 2009 we blew it because our kicker missed 2xp and a FG and we lost by 1 in OT, 2011 we blew it at home because we got up and got relaxed. Terrible PI call didn't help either, but it all came to a head in 2012. I don't care who was coaching that team, the kids at LT said after 2011 game they are never losing to Phoebus again and we worked like it in the weight room to make it back to that regional final in 2012. We all know what happened next. Also we beat Phoebus to open the season in 2014 as well. We personally have all the respect in the world for the Phoebus program and the contract is signed Phoebus vs. LT next cycle.

I was at the Phoebus vs bethel game this year and I just didn't think Phoebus had the horses to compete with the elite teams anymore. Def. hurts that they have lost so much enrollment. Phoebus had a hell of a run though. 99% of programs will never have a run like that. Times have just changed. I don't know if it is a coaching thing or not so I will leave that alone. I think it was 2 years ago when Phoebus came to Monacan I couldn't believe how small they were physically... The game was really lopsided and I was thinking to myself what happened to them, this is Phoebus?! The Ph coach told our AD that closing of a few military bases and lower enrollment numbers really hurt the program. A lot of talent in that region so you'll be back in the swing of things in a few years. With that being said it is going to be incredibly hard to duplicate what you did in the 2000's.

I was at the Phoebus vs bethel game this year and I just didn't think Phoebus had the horses to compete with the elite teams anymore. Def. hurts that they have lost so much enrollment. Phoebus had a hell of a run though. 99% of programs will never have a run like that. Times have just changed. I don't know if it is a coaching thing or not so I will leave that alone. I think it was 2 years ago when Phoebus came to Monacan I couldn't believe how small they were physically... The game was really lopsided and I was thinking to myself what happened to them, this is Phoebus?! The Ph coach told our AD that closing of a few military bases and lower enrollment numbers really hurt the program. A lot of talent in that region so you'll be back in the swing of things in a few years. With that being said it is going to be incredibly hard to duplicate what you did in the 2000's.

Fort Monroe closing certainly didn't help their numbers. Phoebus, even during their dominating runs, wasn't always the biggest team. They just punched you in the mouth all night long. Their speed was incredible. Offense - every play could be taken to the house. Defense - swarming all over, it was like they had 15 men on D.
Times have changed however.

Reactions: mbonape1
Fort Monroe closing certainly didn't help their numbers. Phoebus, even during their dominating runs, wasn't always the biggest team. They just punched you in the mouth all night long. Their speed was incredible. Offense - every play could be taken to the house. Defense - swarming all over, it was like they had 15 men on D.
Times have changed however.

I hope they bounce back... I don't want to see such lopsided Hampton / Ph games. Need that rivalry to remain competitive

Phoebus didn't have all of these transfers and didn't need them to get them over the hump to become dominant. They have always had talent. They might have had 1 or 2 transfers come in but the kids chose to come there because Phoebus consistently won. Whats different now is the coaching, hell Phoebus has transfers this year. Whats missing is a true philosophy, they have no identity now. Smash mouth, TEAMme football is gone. People can say Phoebus won because of transfers, they can say they won because of their mystique, but the real reason Phoebus won was because of quality athletes within Phoebus halls, a sound veteran coaching staff and a true philosophy with a focus on defense wins championships That year Phoebus lost to LT in the playoffs (2012) they were the Peninsula district champs. LT and Phoebus always played close games, yet they got beat 54 - 0. No one would argue that LT wasn't better than Phoebus that year but they wasn't 54 points better. I have never seen an undefeated Peninsula district champion get beat by 54 points in the 1st round of the playoffs, and not just beat, but shutout.

Having transfers that participate versus transfers that dominate, are two entirely different scenarios....just saying.

I will READILY admit, and I can march in a few men/coworkers who will vouch for this story.
My youngest son was playing HS football, his freshman year, he was 6'-3" 265lbs, I told numerous people that if he looked like he was developing into ANY kind of "next level OL/DL", that I was selling my house in Smithfield and buying in the Phoebus zone. Period. I didn't need to be sold on the program. Their on the field actions and success was all I needed. A twice separated shoulder and two concussions sidelined the boy for good though, so the Phoebus dream ended there. And just because dad moves his STUD into the program doesn't guarantee any success for the "prodigy". I remember a receiver that transferred in that went from dominating to a bit player. It happens.

I think Phoebus helped build LT. Honestly. I think Coach Sawyer told those kids at LT that in order to make it out of the region "we need to do this"...obviously the young men took it to heart. LT's success today lays squarely at Phoebus' feet. To be the man you have to beat the man, has never wrung more loudly or true.

I hope they bounce back... I don't want to see such lopsided Hampton / Ph games. Need that rivalry to remain competitive
Agreed. I certainly didn't expect a 44-0 drubbing. That has been the most surprising score to date in the PD games, at least for me.

I've been associated with LT since 2004 season and every time we lost to Phoebus it was a close game. 2008 was a slugfest at Harbor Park, 2009 we blew it because our kicker missed 2xp and a FG and we lost by 1 in OT, 2011 we blew it at home because we got up and got relaxed. Terrible PI call didn't help either, but it all came to a head in 2012. I don't care who was coaching that team, the kids at LT said after 2011 game they are never losing to Phoebus again and we worked like it in the weight room to make it back to that regional final in 2012. We all know what happened next. Also we beat Phoebus to open the season in 2014 as well. We personally have all the respect in the world for the Phoebus program and the contract is signed Phoebus vs. LT next cycle.

LT program is exceptional and I commend the the players and coach sawyer for the way he has built that program. Remember I always thought LT had the better athletes in most of the matchups but the difference in the meetings since 2012 and beyond is coach Sawyer was the HC at LT and Coach Dee and Coach Sexton were not coaching Phoebus in those years. Even though LT might have had the better athletes and maybe better overall teams...they never won against Phoebus during the Dee/Sexton era....When the two teams meet again...Im going with LT all day because I believe that Coach Sawyer will out coach Blunt....there is no comparison. No shade but I call it the way I see it. Much respect to LT!

LT program is exceptional and I commend the the players and coach sawyer for the way he has built that program. Remember I always thought LT had the better athletes in most of the matchups but the difference in the meetings since 2012 and beyond is coach Sawyer was the HC at LT and Coach Dee and Coach Sexton were not coaching Phoebus in those years. Even though LT might have had the better athletes and maybe better overall teams...they never won against Phoebus during the Dee/Sexton era....When the two teams meet again...Im going with LT all day because I believe that Coach Sawyer will out coach Blunt....there is no comparison. No shade but I call it the way I see it. Much respect to LT!
Well since you're not in the program you aren't in the program to know what happened. In those early losses the offense at LT was MARRIED to the veer with very little passing. With all those athletes if you were just running left and right and playing good defense any deficit was killer. In 2006 the offense was handed over to the younger coaches as the former OC had left.

2008 regional final was our first big playoff game as a staff because up until that season LT hadn't won a playoff game in years and we got beat flat out 14-0 by a dominant Phoebus team, but we learned a lot about Phoebus defense and then Coach Dee left.

2009 regional final we had Phoebus on the ropes and winning by 3 which should have been 7 but our kicker missed an xp and a chip shot fg. Phoebus kicks the fg to tie. We score first in ot miss xp Phoebus scores nails theirs.

2011 2nd round we go up 17-7 at the half and Tony Pittman ran hard in the 2nd half and we couldn't finish drives and lost 20-17 with Phoebus making a kick with no time left. That team was very young we had a lot of kids that were Soph that were staring as in 2010 we went with a youth movement which lead to us going 7-4 and losing to Hampton in the first round.

2012 we had a lot of motivation and the talent returning that had that bad loss from the previous year in their mouth.

I think what happened at LT was more of a philosophy change because sure Hank didn't beat coach Dee, but we had Stan on the ropes and should have won both games just blew it. I don't put that on coaching in 2008 and 2009 we had to go through Stan and Warwick both years and those teams were very athletic. As an offensive staff we got better and having a QB like Delmon Williams who could not run the option, but throw the hell out of the ball was a plus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT