1. GW Danville
2. Magna Vista
3. Franklin County
4. Bassett
5. Tunstall
6. Martinsville
7. Halifax
8. Patrick County

I’m expecting this to be the most competitive year so far. Look out for Tunstall and Bassett. Coach Potts and Coach Johnson are doing huge things. Both teams will have a lot of size and athletes, the biggest question is can they go toe to toe with the top 3 teams? We’ll see. Expect to see GW and Magna Vista and possibly even the Martinsville Bulldogs play in mid to late November.

Enjoy your takes sir. I will vary slightly as I’m liking the changes down in Halifax. Throckmorton is turning things around for the Comets. They lost a solid center/o lineman but there is some air in the Football program for the first time in a long time. Just not sold on Tunstall yet, and Bassett is coming along very well but I think a year away still
Gw
MV
FC
Halifax
Martinsville
Bassett
Tunstall
PC

You all made valid points on your rankings and I very much respect them, but I have a different outlook on the Piedmont.
GW
Franklin County
Bassett
Magna Vista
Halifax
Martinsville
Tunstall
Patrick County

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Enjoy your takes sir. I will vary slightly as I’m liking the changes down in Halifax. Throckmorton is turning things around for the Comets. They lost a solid center/o lineman but there is some air in the Football program for the first time in a long time. Just not sold on Tunstall yet, and Bassett is coming along very well but I think a year away still
Gw
MV
FC
Halifax
Martinsville
Bassett
Tunstall
PC
Thank you brother! I hope that Halifax has found them a coach that will stay and give the county some excitement. Very rich talent pool in Halifax.

Reactions: aimhighveteran
You all made valid points on your rankings and I very much respect them, but I have a different outlook on the Piedmont.
GW
Franklin County
Bassett
Magna Vista
Halifax
Martinsville
Tunstall
Patrick County
You and I are both big on Bassett. I believe that they will be a surprise team. After seeing the horses they’ll have on the line, I believe they can make a playoff push. Bassett always has quality athletes. Coach Johnson will have the Bengals formidable.

Reactions: SportsGuy85
From 1-9 to a playoff push is a big stretch even in the Piedmont. They'd have to win 7 with their schedule to have a chance for the playoffs. Great thing about this time of the year everybody thinks they have a chance with a clean slate. It would be difficult to see GW, Magna Vista, Franklin Co, Bassett, and Halifax, all winning enough to make the playoffs or make a push. (Even though they play in 4 different classes) You could throw Martinsville in there too to have 5 classes. If that miracle happened there would be a lot of 1st round exits.

From 1-9 to a playoff push is a big stretch even in the Piedmont. They'd have to win 7 with their schedule to have a chance for the playoffs. Great thing about this time of the year everybody thinks they have a chance with a clean slate. It would be difficult to see GW, Magna Vista, Franklin Co, Bassett, and Halifax, all winning enough to make the playoffs or make a push. (Even though they play in 4 different classes) You could throw Martinsville in there too to have 5 classes. If that miracle happened there would be a lot of 1st round exits.
That’s very true Mike. However I do see at least 5 teams from the Piedmont getting into the playoffs this season. I think MV, GW, and Martinsville are playoff bound. Bassett and Halifax will get in but it will come down to the final week of the season. Just my predictions.

That’s very true Mike. However I do see at least 5 teams from the Piedmont getting into the playoffs this season. I think MV, GW, and Martinsville are playoff bound. Bassett and Halifax will get in but it will come down to the final week of the season. Just my predictions.
I'll go with GW, MV, FC, Martinsville, and maybe Halifax. Bassett next year maybe. C4 is very difficult to make. They would need 7 wins minimum. They have to compete with GW, EC Glass, Salem, Blacksburg, William Byrd, Charlottesville, Jefferson Forest, Pulaski, Amherst, and LCA to get in- only 8 spots in 4D.

My predictions
GW- Return a lot of high power athletes from last years team.
MV- Lost Hughes and Scales as well as several guys up front.
FC- Lost Kaleb Smith and starting RB but are always big up front.
Bassett- A lot of Soph started last year let's see if Johnson puts its all together
Halifax- Eager to see how well they progress
Martinsville- 2 great rb's its going to be tough if they don't have much up front.
Tunstall- Really haven't he
PC- Well PC is PC haven't really made any noise since John Harris years ago

Locks to make the playoffs
GW -top 3 seed in 4D
Magna Vista - we’ll know more after the Salem scrimmage (7 wins max)
Martinsville - should be a solid team in 2a. We’ll see how disciplined this team will be. (4 wins will qualify for a Bottom 12 seed based on rider points from GW , MV, and Byrd).
Franklin County - make the playoffs by default. Could be a 6 win team.

On the bubble will be
Tunstall have to win at least 2 county games and beat Martinsville and Patrick County. 3 wins gets you in 3a West.
Halifax - a win over Person would be huge. They will not win a playoff game in 5a but could hang tough. They have nice looking athletes. I hear they have no line size or depth.

Darkhorse
Bassett
Dan River and Rustburg should be wins and Byrd will be their biggest game of the year, huge if they somehow beats them. If they can beat MV I think they can go 6-4, realistically. A year away, I give them 7-3, 8-2 but not now. What Coach Johnson has done is nothing short of remarkable. They will contend with GW and MV in a few years.

Only real contender I see is GW. Can’t discount MV but they are young. I doubt we see any 84-0, 70-7 GW wins this year.

Reactions: aimhighveteran
Could you expound on that statement for me?

Edit: I've now seen your post on 4A, and I'm not talking about some kind of twitter hype.
I don’t understand why people love to hate on Coach Johnson. Don’t get it. Guy comes back to his high school, promoting positivity, and creating men..And people are still shading him. “Hype”? Come on man. Old saying, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. He’s doing big things like it or not.

@DanvilleSportsHead The first game is very crucial to both Rustburg and Bassett. Both need a win to get the momentum going before the schedule gets brutal. The Devils return home to face 3 time state champ Appomattox, and 0-2 ood would put them in a bad, bad way with that Seminole schedule. The Bengals go on the road for two in a row and need to light up the home crowd and really energize the program. Some teams will be able to take a week one loss and still be in good shape, definitely not these two teams.

I don’t understand why people love to hate on Coach Johnson. Don’t get it. Guy comes back to his high school, promoting positivity, and creating men..And people are still shading him. “Hype”? Come on man. Old saying, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. He’s doing big things like it or not.

Jeez, it's not hate nor throwing shade. I'm too old, or too old school, to even know what that really means. I asked a serious question. I thought this was a discussion forum after all? So I'll pose the question to you again --- Other than Twitter, what has been done that's remarkable?

My honest question is what is the difference in football from the Piedmont district in contrast with districts like the Dogwood and Seminole? These teams seem to be similar athletically as well as having good size but the wins and dominance doesn't show. Football in Roanoke and the New River Valley is completely different all together and so I can't compare it with the Blue Ridge and River Ridge or the Three Rivers DIstrict.

Locks to make the playoffs
GW -top 3 seed in 4D
Magna Vista - we’ll know more after the Salem scrimmage (7 wins max)
Martinsville - should be a solid team in 2a. We’ll see how disciplined this team will be. (4 wins will qualify for a Bottom 12 seed based on rider points from GW , MV, and Byrd).
Franklin County - make the playoffs by default. Could be a 6 win team.

On the bubble will be
Tunstall have to win at least 2 county games and beat Martinsville and Patrick County. 3 wins gets you in 3a West.
Halifax - a win over Person would be huge. They will not win a playoff game in 5a but could hang tough. They have nice looking athletes. I hear they have no line size or depth.

Darkhorse
Bassett
Dan River and Rustburg should be wins and Byrd will be their biggest game of the year, huge if they somehow beats them. If they can beat MV I think they can go 6-4, realistically. A year away, I give them 7-3, 8-2 but not now. What Coach Johnson has done is nothing short of remarkable. They will contend with GW and MV in a few years.

Only real contender I see is GW. Can’t discount MV but they are young. I doubt we see any 84-0, 70-7 GW wins this year.

What is a bottom 12 seed? I don't remember after switching from East and West back to 4 regions of any having more than 8

1. GW Danville
2. Magna Vista
3. Franklin County
4. Bassett
5. Halifax Co.
6. Tunstall
7. Martinsville
8. Patrick County

I only got to see a handful of the 7 - 7's over the summer and I think my predictions are just that. I may have the top 4 teams mixed around just a little but I think this is pretty accurate IMO.

GW - Always has a strong and talented program and should take the PD title. Playoff bound.

MV - Has what it takes to give the top tier teams a good fight, but it depends on them and if they come to play. A lot has changed for the warriors this year, we will see what Favero and his staff can do with what they have. I've heard injuries has already hit them and this should be an interesting year for the warriors. Very tough schedule but should make the playoff.

FC - They have some very good athletes up there and will give any team a good game. I don't see them making the playoffs this year.

Bassett - Young but scrappy! Honestly, I am looking forward to see what Johnson and his crew will do this year. They have those guys over there buying in the the "All In" mentality. So it will be exciting to see what they do in the next couple of years. No playoffs this year, but could be a sure go for the playoffs next year.

HC - They always have decent size and athletes out there in South Boston. Hopefully we will see them put the pieces together and cause a threat in the PD. Its going to be tough to make the playoffs in there conference.

Tunstall - This will be an interesting year for the Trojans and I hope to see them get back on the winning track. Not going to make the playoffs this year.

Martinsville - Still not the dawgs of the 80's! What I seen at the 7-7 they still have some discipline issues they need to deal with. Until they get that under control they will never get back to winning! But they still could make the playoffs in 2A.

PC - There is a little more excitement coming from up on the mountain. Hopefully they can scrap together a couple wins and hopefully get the motivation they need to turn that program around.

Last edited:
]
1. GW Danville
2. Magna Vista
3. Franklin County
4. Bassett
5. Halifax Co.
6. Tunstall
7. Martinsville
8. Patrick County

Tunstall - This will be an interesting year for the Trojans and I hope to see them get back on the winning track. Not going to make the playoffs this year.
Very very accurate analysis brother. I agree with everything you just said but this statement. I happen to be a Tunstall Alum and very close with the head coach (Coach Potts). Stopped by practice yesterday and low and behold Tunstall is going to prove us all wrong this year. They have size, they have speed, they are strong as bulls, and they are as disciplined. I won’t make any predictions (out of the respect for Coach Potts) but this isn’t the same Tunstall team we’ve seen. Don’t be surprised to see them compete with MV and FC this year for a top 3 finish. They have bought into Coach Potts’ system. I believe they make the playoffs and will make some noise come district time.

Reactions: LowRider635
]

Very very accurate analysis brother. I agree with everything you just said but this statement. I happen to be a Tunstall Alum and very close with the head coach (Coach Potts). Stopped by practice yesterday and low and behold Tunstall is going to prove us all wrong this year. They have size, they have speed, they are strong as bulls, and they are as disciplined. I won’t make any predictions (out of the respect for Coach Potts) but this isn’t the same Tunstall team we’ve seen. Don’t be surprised to see them compete with MV and FC this year for a top 3 finish. They have bought into Coach Potts’ system. I believe they make the playoffs and will make some noise come district time.
ok. I'm excited to see them play now... thanks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT