ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs

Snookasuperstar

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 19, 2012
Just throwing this question out there. A friend and I were talking about what edge do programs have who continually make deep playoff runs? For 4a it is always Salem, Woodgrove (new school but make strong runs), Lake Taylor, Dinwiddie, Lafayette. I am sure I am forgetting a few but these schools seem to make it as far as they have this year consistently more than other schools. Other schools Goochland, LC Byrd, Hermitage are also in the mix at this point in the season at their levels as well. My question again what do they do differently. Yes I know cycles but these teams are factories. They seem to reload much faster than other programs.

I agree. I think more coaching but what do these guys do differently? Transfers ha. Louisa got a stud this season so he can't complain too much. Schools all get transfers at some point.

Transfers never hurt, but I wouldnt say any of these teams get impact players every year. Dinwiddie had three legit transfers from Petersburg two years ago, but prior and since then we have not had any. In fact, we lost a good receiver to LC Bird several years ago. Yes, they leave as well. Our administration just does not allow shady transfers. I know of two good players that were denied admission, because things were not on the up and up.

Having a winning culture and community commitment helps. Camps and the necessary equipment are expensive, so you need additional finacial assistance. Very few of our players are two sport athletes and spend every free minute working out in the off season.

Also having a good rec program with the high school staffs support helps as well. I know our rec league teams run our scheme once they move past flag league.

Last but not least exposure plays a big part. Athletes are competitive and will come out for a winner. If you consistently lose kids just will not play. Plus good programs help their kids get opportunities after high school.

Hoo's, I have acknowledged our three from two years ago what other proof/facts regarding the others schools like Salem, Hermitage or Lafayette do you have to support your blanket statement?

I
Transfers never hurt, but I wouldnt say any of these teams get impact players every year. Dinwiddie had three legit transfers from Petersburg two years ago, but prior and since then we have not had any. In fact, we lost a good receiver to LC Bird several years ago. Yes, they leave as well. Our administration just does not allow shady transfers. I know of two good players that were denied admission, because things were not on the up and up.

Having a winning culture and community commitment helps. Camps and the necessary equipment are expensive, so you need additional finacial assistance. Very few of our players are two sport athletes and spend every free minute working out in the off season.

Also having a good rec program with the high school staffs support helps as well. I know our rec league teams run our scheme once they move past flag league.

Last but not least exposure plays a big part. Athletes are competitive and will come out for a winner. If you consistently lose kids just will not play. Plus good programs help their kids get opportunities after high school.

Hoo's, I have acknowledged our three from two years ago what other proof/facts regarding the others schools like Salem, Hermitage or Lafayette do you have to support your blanket statement?

You make a good point about athletes are going to be competitive for a winner and that good programs get their kids opportunities after high school. What does Dinwiddie do to get some many kids out for football? Their numbers are so high
It is amazing how most years at this time the same programs are still playing and others with a lot of early season talk are out. For example, I made statements about some contenders early but they turned out to be pretenders.

Consistent good quality coaching at all levels of the program, and interest and support from the community.

Its the culture. Coach Mills does so much more for the school and community besides football. He genuinely cares about kids and helps all. I can speak first hand on this because he helped my daughter gain confidence in math and was a great mentor.

Second, he has created a leadership counsel that expects the players to police one another and provide guidance to younger players.

Third, he encourages community involvement. Not with coaching lol, but being part of the program via mentorships, booster, field maintenence. When we win its a win for Navy Nation. It makes all feel like they played a role in the victory.

Wouldnt trade the man for anyone.

Support from the community and a system that runs through all levels of play down to the rec leagues. I also think it's a focus on playing fundamentally sound and disciplined football.

In my opinion, it is all about creating a culture where maximum effort and success is the expectation/norm rather than something that occurs every once in a while. Somebody drives the bus(coach most likely, principal sometimes) and is the person who gets buy in from others from the top down and throughout the community. It takes ALL areas to be a success and deficiencies in any area is the difference between being decent versus perenially great. Money(fundraising, boosters, etc.), structure(offseason program, philosophy/identity) and commitment(coaches, players, community, etc.) are the foundation. When Friday night becomes an event for the community and a dream for the little kids(be it on the field, in the band, etc.) then you have a chance when mixed with luck to have something special.

Thanks guys I hope my school is taking notes on this. I do think geography helps some too but there are always outliers.

In my opinion, it is all about creating a culture where maximum effort and success is the expectation/norm rather than something that occurs every once in a while. Somebody drives the bus(coach most likely, principal sometimes) and is the person who gets buy in from others from the top down and throughout the community. It takes ALL areas to be a success and deficiencies in any area is the difference between being decent versus perenially great. Money(fundraising, boosters, etc.), structure(offseason program, philosophy/identity) and commitment(coaches, players, community, etc.) are the foundation. When Friday night becomes an event for the community and a dream for the little kids(be it on the field, in the band, etc.) then you have a chance when mixed with luck to have something special.

When are you going to apply and head a program? You've got all the goods right here. Great post.

Stronger youth, community involvement with feeder programs and not constant change. I would say the schools mentioned above tend to have coaches that have strong ties to other coaches and have been "the coach" for about 5-6 years minimum.

Reactions: Tom Potter
How does Geography help? The teams you mentioned are from diverse areas of the State

Meaning more urbanized areas. Like I said there are some outliers. Goochland and Dinwiddie are not the largest areas but both sit outside of Richmond. Not saying that is a major factor but I am sure that helps is all.

One Man, I'm sorry it's over for you and your kids. But this year was another step up the ladder for the Blackknights.

As stated above, winning is a pretty darn important part of the equation. But, winning alone without a culture of integrity and accountability will not sustain a program. When a community has this positive culture, it is a breeding ground for success and winning. Without it, winning is only temporary.

I ask the following question rhetorically, but feel free to make a comment if you are a former high school player. Looking back on your playing days, whether you were a superstar, or never got in a game, did your time on the team have an affect on you. Even if it was years later, and you drew from your time on a football team, did what you experienced, change you?

It's hard to think that anyone that ever played, had less exposure to being on a team than I did. One year of JV, and I maybe played a total of two or three plays. I was soft, scared, and intimidated. And precisely because of playing one season, it exposed these short comings to me. It wasn't immediate, but it started the self reflection that led to dramatic changes in my personal life. Changes that I continue to make even today.

If my pitiful one year on a JV team had these results on me, I can only imagine what being in a prorgram like Coach Mill's at Dinwiddie has the chance to produce.

You guys that are coaches, regardless of the level or the sport, never forget that the way you treat kids, the example you set, the attitude you portray, is influencing kids constantly. Even when you are convinced that they are not paying attention, or even care, YOU ARE! It might be 20 years later when they revert back to something you said or did, so make it the right thing.

Thank you Coach Fox Ramsey, and Coach Butch Warner, and Coach Jim Porach, and Coach Bob Budlove. I was listening!!!

Reactions: Snookasuperstar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT