ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Oregon vs Ohio State

babY_d757

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jul 28, 2008
who do got win the first ever true national championship ? glad the SEC
not part of it lol I always felt they could have lost game before the
national title if the playoffs would have started years ago !!

I got Oregon 35-26
uzi.r191677.gif

I voted OSU because of my BIASED support of OSU and Jalyn Holmes (LT) OSU is doing a great job recruiting VA as we have some kids committing there.

That's true bro , hasn't Oregon come up here too recurit guys past 8 years like my boys Tahj Boyd Phoebus and EJ Manuel Bayside, Josh Sweat Oscar Smith they been snooping around seems nobody wants leave play way up north west lol

I hope Oregon humuiliates Ohio State, who should have NEVER made playoffs. TCU and Baylor both should have got in ahead of Ohio.

By giving a berth to Ohio proves the selection committee is biased, I thought BCS was bad, but selection committee is worse.

I was very mad when I heard the 4 teams in playoffs. The committee proved their lack of integrity by ranking TCU #3, until after the season was over then they dropped TCU to #5 or whatever. This came after TCU beat whoever they played in final game of season by large margin. If they were good enough for #3 before, they should have stayed at #3.
Ohio State is one of the NCAA's media darlings, and ESPN probably wanted them in playoffs. If I had been on that committee, I would have ignored that Ohio State has a football team.

If I were a high school coach, Ohio State nor Oregon would be allowed to make any contact with any of my players, if I could stop it. Both are cheating schools. Good players from Virginia should go to Virginia Tech.

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

If I were a high school coach, Ohio State nor Oregon would be allowed to make any contact with any of my players, if I could stop it. Both are cheating schools. Good players from Virginia should go to Virginia Tech.
Both are cheating? How? What evidence do you have that they are currently cheating? Also VT is lying to kids so why go where coaches will lie to you? Where's the trust? VT days of getting the top recruits in VA are over sir. They haven't pulled in a top level recruit with 4 or 5 stars out of the state probably since Tyrod. BTW glad you aren't a HS coach your players would be stuck committing to a program that is mediocre nowadays.

Time for Beamer to go and UVA needs to fire their coach ! Both have sucked last 3 years no where near top 10 program lol

I didn't like the 4 they chose either... I would have put Alabama, Oregon, TCU, Ohio St. and Baylor all ahead of FSU. They had too many close games with mediocre and BAD teams... In hindsight the top 4 (in no particular order) should have been bama, oregon, tcu, ohio st. Aside from getting embarrassed in a playoff game, why wouldn't teams start scheduling cupcakes for as many weeks as possible to help them get to the playoff--worked for FSU!

I too hate Ohio State HR6, but with that being said I respect Urban Meyer. THE ohio state is in my top two least favorite college programs, with the other being Maryland.

HR6 was out of line with the the cheating comments and kids should go wherever they feel is best for them. Do your accusations portray the way you represent a certain school to your kids? If so, then you aren't representing your kids properly either. If your attitude is prevalent among the LT staff then that might have a lot to do with why LT kids aren't pursued more heavily by VT. You generally make reasonable points here but, in this case you do more to hurt yourself, the kids and the perception of the entire LT staff, in my opinion. As far as the accusation goes, if you are only talking about your story about Jalyn there are a number of ways that can be interpreted, however, VT would not be the first or last school, and based off historical facts the list includes UVA as well as your sainted Urban Meyer/OSU, to tell a kid they are recruiting him at a certain position with the idea that they might be better suited for another position before all is said and done. That doesn't mean they do not at least get the initial chance to work in at their position of choice.

I liked Urban Meyer when he was at Florida, but when he went to Ohio State , I lost all respect for him.

I read a story in newspaper yesterday, that 2, 3, or 4 years ago, the NCAA President Mark Emmertt stated that NCAA was going to crack down on schools that cheat. After he said this, the first 2 schools to get caught was Ohio State and Oregon. The NCAA basically did nothing to either school. Jim Kelly fled to NFL, Jim Tressel fled Ohio State. They knew they'd been caught.
Now, look who's in championship game. The NCAA should have banned both schools from bowl games for several years, and issued other saunctions to insure both schools were not a threat for NCAA championship for years to come. As it is, NCAA did nothing to penalize them.

Some see Urban Meyer as a great coach that has won everywhere he has ever been and does it the right way. Others see him as the ultimate opportunist who rode the gravy train at Florida until his players off the field problems, poor recruiting efforts and the arrival of Saban at Alabama made life too difficult, at which time he concocted a BS story to jump the ship just ahead of running it aground. Reality probably lies somewhere in the middle regardless of Monday's outcome.

I questioned his story in the beginning when he fled the Gators. It just did not add up, even before he took OSU job. When he went to Ohio State, it really looked like BS.

That's the NCAA's problem despite your misdirected anger at both schools. You disagree with the manner and level of punishment but, both schools received penalties for their violations. That has absolutely nothing to do with how they have bounced back and EVEN LESS RELEVANCE to your current accusation of cheating and your myopic view that all kids should stay in state and go to one school. Your earlier post was dead wrong.

I don't portray certain schools in any light to kids. It's their decision and I tell them only to go somewhere they will feel comfortable living for five years of their life. Truth be told I like Florida going back way in the day when it comes to football they are stinking it up right now and with me being so close to Jalyn and being cool with some OSU assistants I'm rooting for them. As far the VT coaches lying to kids I'm not the only coach that feels this way. I've talked to numerous other coaches that have the same feeling about VT staff. My opinions are my opinions not the opinion of the LT staff as I can't speak for everyone else on staff.

Originally posted by DEVILSLB99:

Originally posted by Hampton Roads 6:

Both are cheating? How? What evidence do you have that they are currently cheating? Also VT is lying to kids so why go where coaches will lie to you? Where's the trust? VT days of getting the top recruits in VA are over sir. They haven't pulled in a top level recruit with 4 or 5 stars out of the state probably since Tyrod. BTW glad you aren't a HS coach your players would be stuck committing to a program that is mediocre nowadays.
HR6 is a troll and not a serious poster. He also says that VT should win every game by at least 50 points. Don't take him seriously.

As for what you said, EVERY school tells kids they will be able to play at ____ position and them move them later. Ohio State does it, Oregon does it, Virginia Tech does it. Virginia Tech will at least give that player a chance at the position he wants and generally don't move them without the player agreeing. Other teams do that as well but some do not.

They haven't pulled a 4 or 5 star out of Virginia since Tyrod? They have five 4-star players committed from Virginia this year alone... what the heck are you talking about? It sounds like you have listened to negative recruiting against Virginia Tech more than researching for yourself. Don't let one bad experience with one player shape the way you view an entire program.

You might think you do not portray schools in any certain light but, it is possible your attitudes and beliefs come through anyway and the kids are perceptive enough to pick up on that. You are entitled to your opinions as are the other coaches. I asked you if you had any instances besides the one you already shared and offering up other coaches who think alike are not examples. Their beliefs may be based on a similarly suspect example as the one you gave with Jalyn. Let me reiterate I am not saying kids do not get lied to or that VT could not be guilty of what you claim but, I am saying that the initial example you gave, if that is what you are basing your opinion on, has range for interpretation other than calling a particular staff liars. Even more relevant, if that is the example you are hanging your hat on and you believe that constitutes the staff being liars then virtually every staff in the country could be characterized as liars.

Considering I deal with recruiting a lot and not just the whole Jalyn situation I will tell you like this. Every since a Cav stopped recruiting and Stiney has started recruiting this area he has rubbed coaches the wrong way. He has made promises that he hasn't kept up to and that's not just Jalyn. Maybe liars is too harsh of a word, but he's lost the trust of a lot of area coaches.

The thing is it's not just one bad experience with VT and one bad situation. Well since I see everyone is a 4 or 5 star now I have to take that back. I'm speaking of top tier talent like Andrew Brown, Quin Blanding, EJ Levenberry, Jalyn Holmes, Josh Sweat, D. Hand, D. Nnadi, all kids that had Tech high up on their list at some point with the exception of Blanding and chose to go elsewhere. Why are they not closing the deal on these kids?

The thing is it's not just one bad experience with VT and one bad situation. Well since I see everyone is a 4 or 5 star now I have to take that back. I'm speaking of top tier talent like Andrew Brown, Quin Blanding, EJ Levenberry, Jalyn Holmes, Josh Sweat, D. Hand, D. Nnadi, all kids that had Tech high up on their list at some point with the exception of Blanding and chose to go elsewhere. Why are they not closing the deal on these kids?
They haven't been getting a lot of the top 4-5 kids in the state recently, you are right. They are getting Tim Settle this year but that has been rare as of late.

VT not getting recruits in most cases is not because the coaches are dishonest or can't be trusted. Blacksburg is not the easiest geographical area to get kids to come to and VT has been down has a program the last few years. Between that and the offense being poor for so long it creates a lot of difficulties recruiting. A lot of the top talent that has went elsewhere have seemed to disappear. Buried at depth charts at schools like Alabama, getting their position switched, etc.

I do remember in instance years back when Greg Boone came on campus from Oscar Smith. Their coaches wanted him to play QB at VT and he eventually moved to TE and had a great career. There was some bitterness from OS for a few years but that seems to be gone now.

I don't understand why top defensive talent in state wouldn't want to play for the best DC in college football. If they are guys suited more for a 3-4 defense, I can understand. It probably doesn't help that Foster doesn't spend a lot of time recruiting.

That is interesting what you said about Stiney... I know some VT fans have been wondering about that dynamic.

Rubbing coaches the wrong way or losing the trust of certain coaches happens often particularly when relationships change but, that is a far cry from being a liar. It can take a substantial amount of time to build trust and understand exactly what each is trying to communicate when building a new relationship and there can be hurt feelings and misconceptions about what was actually said or promised along the way. Cav was a good guy, a straight shooter and he had built credibility over a very long time. His personality rubbed some people the wrong way too, not that I think he was wrong for handling certain situations in his own unique manner. He even pissed off the highest profile coach on the peninsula at the time but, he was true to his convictions. I don't think either one of us is looking to air specifics but, without those specifics it is virtually impossible to provide context to the current "broken promises" you allude to. I understand where you are coming from and I believe you have the best interest of your kids at heart. I think it is always in the best interests of the kids to do everything possible to ensure they have as many options as possible and all the relevant information to make their decision. Sometimes that requires a little more tact than creating further hurdles on a public message board. In conclusion, I absolutely disagree with HR6's original statement and I believe your initial response could have been handled far better as well and still got your message across.

You should be smart enough to answer that yourself but, here goes. In the case of Alabama, FSU and even Ohio State it is not surprising that kids would choose a perennial national championship contender and/or a hot name coach that probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon given the situation at both state schools. Whether it actually works out for them is an entirely different question. Were you to ask E.J. Levenberry today he might have an entirely different answer than he had when he committed. Who knows he might even say he was lied to in his recruitment, just sayin. In the case of the other two you've got a front row seat for the Breds' show so you should already know that is all that was about. Blanding had a great first year and it seems to be working out for him so far but, you can't really say with certainty on either he or Brown until they finish their career. It's great that Jalyn is happy at OSU and hopefully he has success, however, his story is yet to be written as well. You're still not doing yourself or your kids any favors.

I'm not getting the favors I'm suppose to be doing my self or the kids. The kids will keep performing and I will keep helping them get into school. If VT doesn't want to offer any kids for whatever reason then that's their loss. We have two kids that are nationally ranked and VT has offered both of them we will see how VT handles their situations.

I'm not getting the favors I'm suppose to be doing my self or the kids. The kids will keep performing and I will keep helping them get into school. If VT doesn't want to offer any kids for whatever reason then that's their loss. We have two kids that are nationally ranked and VT has offered both of them we will see how VT handles their situations.
What do you want VT to do for the LT kids they are offering?

I think you know exactly what you are doing. Whether you are man enough to admit it or not is another question. Why would any school or recruiter expend significant amounts of time and resources on a kid if they believe their efforts are shot down behind their back by the intentional biases of some high school staff members? Hence the kids may not get the full picture and may not be able to make an informed decision with all the valid information. As far as hurting yourself it all starts with being able to look yourself in the mirror, proceeds to whether you believe what you are doing is any different than the other organization I previously referred to and finally whether you have any aspirations beyond your present level.

Man you are seriously reaching here. I don't have any aspirations to be a college coach I have aspirations to take my business to another level. I despise of the group down here that steers kids to a particular school because that is BS it is the kids decision not an adults decision. I look myself in the mirror fine each day sir again I don't know what kind of intentions you think I have, but I have NEVER bad mouthed any school to any kid I coach or even come in contact with. I actually will help ANY kid get into school if they ask for my help. I have helped a couple of kids from other schools get into contact with college coaches and get their information out there and am currently doing that for 2 players right now. Again I have no interest in any of these college teams and even the University that I played for gets no special privileges with me. I will not sway a kid in any direction again it is a family decision for that kid, so I don't know what you think the agenda I have is but you are dead wrong. And honestly if you think I work in concert with the Breds you are seriously mistaken I'm public enemy #2 with them.

Recruit them honestly and be up front with them. Is that too much to ask for? If you are recruiting 5 other DB's in that persons class don't say you're the only db we're taking or something of that nature. No one is afraid of competition.

No, that is a fair point.

I have heard the same story from recruits at schools all over the country. The hard part about recruiting is that a lot of times a team would only take say two players at a position but they have to put out far more offers than that because some of the players are bound to go to other schools.

Quite frankly, Virginia Tech got beat on the recruiting trail for years because they would tell all the kids that they need to come and work hard and probably redshirt before playing. Many of the schools they were competing against were telling the players they could come in and play right away or that that they are the only players they are recruiting or that they don't have to change positions. VT finally started playing the game the way other programs do and now some are unhappy with that.

James Banks was a great example. He was a five-star recruit that played QB in high school and wanted to play QB in college. His top two schools were VT and Tennessee. VT told him they would move him to WR and Tenn told him he could play QB. He went to Tennessee and they moved him to WR almost immediately.

Today kids really don't want to redshirt which I think is a mistake by a lot of kids. Get in there learn the system, but more importantly get STRONGER and then get on the field and produce for 3-4 years. Kids today want to come in and play and say I played as a true freshman or whatever that's cool, but a wasted year getting garbage reps is a wasted year to me. As far as moving kids around that's the type of thing that schools should be up front about, but as a kid looking at a school you should look at the depth at your position. Why am I going to go to a spread team when I'm a pocket passer and they have 5 other qb's on scholarship and all them are dual threats? I think it is the job of the recruiter to be up front with the kids, and let them know where they really stand. Not just try to get them to sign and then do whatever with them. That was very unfortunate for that kid as he was duped by his recruiter.

If you read the post that started this discussion as well as a couple of follow ups it would call in to question your assertion about having never bad mouthed a school(staff included). I never said you worked in concert with the breds, I said that what you could be perceived as doing was no different from the breds. I would suggest you need to reread the entire thread as I believe you have lost sight of what you said/thought you said from start to finish. Good luck to you and your kids and with your business.

Good observations

Many players turn down VT and go elsewhere, only to never be heard from again. Whereas if they had gone to VT they could be playing.

If a player turns down VT, I hope they're never heard from again.

That's a pathetic attitude .......

to wish ill on a kid because they didn't pick your favorite school. Kids need to make the best choice for their own individual situations.

Re: Good observations

What a terrible attitude and a terrible thing to post. There are hundreds of colleges to choose from, not everyone will choose to go to VT. Considering their lack of success lately I'm sure kids are looking more at out of state schools.

It all comes down to communication. Word gets around pretty quickly on schools and individual recruiters in terms of whether you can take their word to the bank and those with any longevity in the business are good communicators who have built that trust. Of course, there can always be differences of opinion as to what somebody said versus what someone else heard which is why it is extremely important that kids, parents, coaches and recruiters all understand where the other is coming from. This still will not prevent misunderstandings and hard feelings sometimes but, it hopefully minimizes those times. You use the example of James Banks and everything plays out exactly as you say. The inference is that UT may have misled him and that could be true, however, it could have just as easily been Banks choice. Banks wouldn't be the first kid to get to a school, find out the other guy or guys were way better at his original position than he is and not want to spend four years working to improve to get a chance when he feels like he could play much faster with a position switch.

Re: That's a pathetic attitude .......

"Kids need to make best choice for their own individual situations".

I agree with that statement. However there are players who reject VT because of "3rd party" outside influence, or illegal recruiting.

I recall a player a few yeasr back who was all set to sign with VT come signing day. However at the last minute, his Uncle in Chicago got involved and player went to a Big 10 school. His Uncle was probably a booster or street agent.

Re: That's a pathetic attitude .......

None of that is relevant and just another smokescreen for your pathetic attitude. The reality is with a moronic statement like the original one you made you are far more harmful to VT than any street agent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT