ADVERTISEMENT

Powhatan To The Dominion In 2019?

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Looks as though Powhatan might be returning to the Dominion District where they played from 1980-1985.

In the latest District Alignment plan posted to the VHSL for 2019-2020 thru 2022-23 they show Powhatan playing in Class 4 but now in the Dominion which would make that district ten teams strong.

When it comes to football, I feel that Powhatan is moving at the worst time. Who knows, maybe they have the talent level of the 2000s returning soon, but even without all their injuries of the last few years, football has declined. Soccer and lacrosse have taken off now. Apparently Goochland might move back to the Jefferson District, so it would've been great to see Goochland and Powhatan rekindle their border rivalry.

Last edited:
It will challenge all sports with moving to the Dominion District. We have to keep in mind Powhatan's location. Travel times will decrease. We travel anywhere from 1 hour to 1 hour and 45 minutes for district games. There have been many Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday evenings where student athletes get back to the school anywhere from 10pm to 11pm. With the move to the dominion travel times will range from 30 minutes to at most an hour. Baseball start times in the dominion are also much earlier due to most teams not having lights. I like the move. We accept the challenge.

@VirginiaGreat08 overall travel for all sports is more important. Personally I wish we could've seen Powhatan play Dominion teams 10-15 years ago when they were at their peak, they definitely would've been in all conversations of "top Richmond area teams" and have more notoriety in the area than they already do. Powhatan vs. Bird would've been epic, same brand of "stop us if you can" football.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT