ADVERTISEMENT

Raiders vs. Glenvar...

HolyFrog

VaPreps Rookie
Dec 5, 2016
434 Repping Appo Raider Country
Ok, now time for round 3. Gile beat Glenvar, now Appomattox beats Giles 45-14. Whats yalls thoughts. What kind of offense doea Glenvar run ? I think Appo has one heck of a chance by what I seen tonight against Giles. Go Raiders !!!

Ok, now time for round 3. Gile beat Glenvar, now Appomattox beats Giles 45-14. Whats yalls thoughts. What kind of offense doea Glenvar run ? I think Appo has one heck of a chance by what I seen tonight against Giles. Go Raiders !!!
If A>B and B>C then A>C....doesn't work in the real world. t's more about matchups than comparing scores. I like the fact that the last two 2A state champs will be battling it out next Friday. You guys get too cocky and you may be ripe for the pickens. It always happens to every great team sooner or later. Glenvar has a pretty good defense, good QB, great RB/WR, really good line play.

Reactions: obguthr
I'll take Glenvar and 40 pts! They have nothing for you. You guys have the size on the line to match up and way too much speed. Only team in west with any chance would be Graham and their D can't stop you IMO. I said in August you were the team to beat and what I saw tonight proved that. Hats off to Appo. Good clean game and good sportsmanship on both sides.

I've seen both teams and IMO Appomattox is the better team but I can see glenvar pulling off the surprise...their line play is very good and the RB is very good also

Thanks for the vote of confidence from the Giles folks.
Boys start 0-0 this morning and coach Smith already began the grounding process last night in the team huddle.
Giles has a great program with lots of tradition. Too bad fans on both sides can detract from the boys and the games.
Here's hoping the PO1 crowd shows up in force in Glenvar this Friday night!!!

Well I havent gotten cocky at all and dont tend to soooo with that said
If A>B and B>C then A>C....doesn't work in the real world. t's more about matchups than comparing scores. I like the fact that the last two 2A state champs will be battling it out next Friday. You guys get too cocky and you may be ripe for the pickens. It always happens to every great team sooner or later. Glenvar has a pretty good defense, good QB, great RB/WR, really good line play.
Well I havent gotten cocky at all and dont tend to soooo with that said, some of the fans on here thats predicting Appo to win arent even Appo fans. They just speakin of what they saw, now, if Appo plays like they did last night against Giles I will say this, not being cocky, but it will be a long night for Glenvar. #PO1 bringing the #Fa17H

Well I havent gotten cocky at all and dont tend to soooo with that said

Well I havent gotten cocky at all and dont tend to soooo with that said, some of the fans on here thats predicting Appo to win arent even Appo fans. They just speakin of what they saw, now, if Appo plays like they did last night against Giles I will say this, not being cocky, but it will be a long night for Glenvar. #PO1 bringing the #Fa17H

Hey tadpole most here picking Appomattox are just realistic whether they are fans of Appomattox or not...that's one Damn good football team you guys have

Difference will be speed. Giles has more the Glenvar and Appo made Giles look like they standing still. Glenvar will make some plays but like Giles they do not have the weapons to contend. Not a shot, just the facts.

I hope everyone one here keeps making their "Appo by a lot" predictions. You all know the boys see it and the coaches use it. I hope it is fueling the tanks in Glenvar. Much much bigger upsets have happened. These Giles people on here coronating Appo because they got man handled have short memories of what Glenvar did to them in 2014 after they beat Glenvar by 30-0 two weeks before. If Appo wins they were supposed to win....no one on my side doubting them. If Glenvar wins,lots of people on here will be eating their disrespect.

Reactions: eh31
I hope everyone one here keeps making their "Appo by a lot" predictions. You all know the boys see it and the coaches use it. I hope it is fueling the tanks in Glenvar. Much much bigger upsets have happened. These Giles people on here coronating Appo because they got man handled have short memories of what Glenvar did to them in 2014 after they beat Glenvar by 30-0 two weeks before. If Appo wins they were supposed to win....no one on my side doubting them. If Glenvar wins,lots of people on here will be eating their disrespect.

I’m not from Giles and it isn’t disrespect. Write it down and quote me on it, Appo will take Glenvar to the wood shed this week. It’s just factual. Put it up on the locker room wall. I couldn’t care less who wins the game, I’m just realistic.

Reactions: AntGZee
I’m not from Giles and it isn’t disrespect. Write it down and quote me on it, Appo will take Glenvar to the wood shed this week. It’s just factual. Put it up on the locker room wall. I couldn’t care less who wins the game. I’m just realistic.
Not "factual" until or unless it happens . Until then "Glenvar getting taken to the woodshed is just your "unfactual" opinion unless you have a crystal ball. It may happen..it may not happen.

This is going sound nuts, but coming from a neutral observer at this point, I think Appomattox has never truly gotten the respect they deserve for this 3 year run. They go into every game knowing they are going get everybody's best shot. Generally most teams talk about they think Appo will have to contend with XYZ and it'll be a game and they can spring the upset....and then bam Appo wins by double digits 41-1 in 3 years with the majority of that time being treated like there is a giant target on their backs is darn impressive. I still think the 2016 team was probably the best all around 2A team I have ever seen, think of this, tons of teams have gone in thinking that Appo better watch out....in their 41 wins....36 have been by double digits....that's flat out dominant, and they did it playing an out of conference schedule loaded with bigger schools from Seminole...

Im excited about this game because I think it is the first time in school history we have faced Glenvar in football. I have admired what they have built in past few years. I enjoyed watching them from outside when they had the championship run of 2014

Reactions: BullRunFootball
Not being disrespectful to Glenvar. Speed kills and Appo has a lot more than Glenvar. Until you see it in person its hard to put in perspective. Sure they can lose but unless they make mistakes and you can deal with the speed, they’ll be hard to beat. On one play the qb ran a sneak and was past the oline before they got out of their stance

Reactions: BullRunFootball
Come on bro, it has nothing to do with the fact Giles got manhandled last night. I think after u see them this week u are going to agree. Just to much speed and two many weapons. They are just a different class the Giles or Glenvar right now. Glenvar played one decent team this year and got beat, your playing a great team Friday. I have come to like u on this board and respect you. I'm just giving u my opinion. I said last year after seeing them in person they would not be beat. They are not that good this year but I still think nobody in 2A beats them.

Last edited:
This is going sound nuts, but coming from a neutral observer at this point, I think Appomattox has never truly gotten the respect they deserve for this 3 year run. They go into every game knowing they are going get everybody's best shot. Generally most teams talk about they think Appo will have to contend with XYZ and it'll be a game and they can spring the upset....and then bam Appo wins by double digits 41-1 in 3 years with the majority of that time being treated like there is a giant target on their backs is darn impressive. I still think the 2016 team was probably the best all around 2A team I have ever seen, think of this, tons of teams have gone in thinking that Appo better watch out....in their 41 wins....36 have been by double digits....that's flat out dominant, and they did it playing an out of conference schedule loaded with bigger schools from Seminole...
I said the same thing that Appomattox hasn't gotten the respect they deserve for this 3 year run. I mean after the battle of the ax game in 2015 when they beat us 14-7 in overtime they stopped us on the goaline 5 times for 0 points. I said then they will not lose another game and they didn't. Last year same thing after what I saw 1st game I said they wouldn't get beat. This year same thing they wont get beat. The coaching staff has done what is almost impossible and that's to keep that many playmakers on a hush for this whole run. There's been no controversy whatsoever and that team operate in sync on a regular basis. I know its people waiting for them to lose this year so they can gloat and say I told you so but to me it looks no different than the last two years. It looks like the same team for the last three years and if they didn't get beat then it ain't going to happen I'm sorry I just can't see it.

Come on bro, it has nothing to do with the fact Giles got manhandled last night. I think after u see them this week u are going to agree. Just to much speed and two many weapons. They are just a different class the Giles or Glenvar right now. Glenvar played one decent team this year and got beat, your playing a great team Friday. I have come to like u on this board and respect you. I'm just giving u my opinion. I said last year after seeing them in person they would not be beat. They are not that good this year but I still think nobody in 2A beats them.
Not talking about you Winger. Your posts are always respectful and insightful. Just saw some opinions on here I thought were juvenile and thought I would push back a little just for sport. As far as the coronation of Appo as 2A state champs, I prefer to see Appo earn it one game at a time including Glenvar next week. There are so many variables. If you compare Dan River and Gretna/Floyd scores, Glenvar looks very favorable to Appo. Just look at UVA today against Miami. They gave them a great game, led 28-14 in the third and had a good chance to win the game near the end of the 4th. All the pundits were talking blowout all week. Didn't happen!

Reactions: singlewinger92
Not being disrespectful to Glenvar. Speed kills and Appo has a lot more than Glenvar. Until you see it in person its hard to put in perspective. Sure they can lose but unless they make mistakes and you can deal with the speed, they’ll be hard to beat. On one play the qb ran a sneak and was past the oline before they got out of their stance
I agree with you Spartan. They will be hard to beat and they will be heavily favored by most people as we see on here what the opinion of most are...but I'm old enough to have seen many bigger upsets than this would be so while I know what your saying is true, I still believe Glenvar can win if they play their best game of the year. Mistakes and turnovers are great equalizers as well.

Reactions: spartan2005
Wanna put big money on your beloved highlander? I'll take Appomattox
Ok Va BlueDevil. Since you and others are totally convinced it's going to be Appo by a mile. I'll take Glenvar and 36 points. That should be more than fair cause most on here think it'll be 36-0 by halftime ro worse. Wasn't it 35-0 against Giles by half and after all Giles beat Glenvar..right? What is big money to you?

I would put Vic Halls teams against Appo any day......his 1st Title team had as good a defense as I’ve seen. I remember Gretna punting on 1st down the entire 2nd half against Chatham. Vic hardly played in the 2nd half for 2 years.

Man I watched that Gretna team when they won the 1st title and I agree I dont think either of those Appomattox title team would beat that team. That team was like Carter High at 2A. Vic Hall alone was scary. Horrace Hubbard was a nightmare on defense.

In my opinion, the 2016 Appo Team was the best 2A team I've seen since the turn of the century regarding dominance. The Gretna teams of 03 and 04 were good, and technically, I guess they were Div 3 (small double A ball). I watched both of them. In 2003 and 2004, they dominated. In 2004, they beat Poquoson in the state title game. They had no close games at all in 2004 except for a 7 point win over Christiansburg in the playoffs, but that game was well in hand, and Christiansburg added two late scores to make it look closer than what it really was. In 2003, Gretna destroyed everyone in its path, except for playing on the road in Bluefield against Graham and they nearly lost to an Ahmad Bradshaw led team that got within I think 6-7 points and driving to tie late in the game, but Gretna held on and won the next game (the state title game) in a blow out over Monticello.

Still, I think the 2016 Appo team was the best I've seen. They just simply weren't challenged all year, and even the great Gretna teams had a close call in the playoffs, once in 2003 (near miss for Gretna against Graham) and in 2004 it was kind of-respectably close against Christiansburg. If you go back since the turn of the century, you will be hard pressed to find (simply will not find) at team like Appo in 2016 that just went unchallenged from start to finish in the playoffs. Since 2000ish, every 2A or (formerly Div 2 and Div 3) had at least 1 "close call" in the playoffs. Appo had that in 2015 with Richlands and going to OT, and having to come back from 2 TD's down midway in the 4th. I think Appo of 2016 was the best in the last 20 or so years; however, the 1997 Powell Valley Div 2 ("big" single A ball at the time) team led by Julius Jones would rank just as high as Appo of 2016, as they weren't tested in 4 games of the playoffs. That Powell Valley team was a dominant team and just heads above everyone , and walked through the playoffs like Appo did nearly 20 years later.

For Folks Interested, Below is the Commendation for Gretna High's 2003 State Title Team Written by the Virginia House of Delegates.....

"2004 SESSION ENROLLED HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 223 Commending the Gretna High School football team. Agreed to by the House of Delegates, January 16, 2004 Agreed to by the Senate, January 22, 2004 WHEREAS, on a cold, windy December day in Lynchburg, the Hawks from Gretna High School in Pittsylvania County accomplished what no Gretna football team had done before; and WHEREAS, the Gretna High School football team won the 2003 Virginia High School League Group AA, Division 3 state championship; and WHEREAS, the first football team in school history to win a state title, the Gretna Hawks put the crowning touch on a perfect season by defeating Monticello High School, 48––18, in the state championship game; and WHEREAS, with a perfect season record of 14––0, the Gretna Hawks, rarely challenged, dominated their opponents throughout the regular season and the regional and state championship playoffs; and WHEREAS, an explosive offense and a determined, senior-led defense characterized Coach Robert Senseney's Hawks who enjoyed unparalleled support from the Gretna community, hundreds of whom traveled to the state title game at Liberty University; and WHEREAS, the Hawks advanced to the final game by defeating a powerful team from perennial title contender Graham High School and then dominated Monticello's Mustangs by gaining 500 yards in the championship game; and WHEREAS, the triumphant performance of the Gretna High School Hawks is a tribute to the leadership of Head Coach Robert Senseney and his staff; the talent, perseverance, and teamwork of the athletes; and the sustained and enthusiastic support of the Gretna community; now, therefore, be it RESOLVED by the House of Delegates, the Senate concurring, That the General Assembly commend and congratulate the 2003 Gretna High School Hawks on their state championship season; and, be it RESOLVED FURTHER, That the Clerk of the House of Delegates prepare a copy of this resolution for presentation to Head Coach Robert Senseney in honor of the exceptional and unprecedented performance of the 2003 Gretna High School football team."

Last edited:
In my opinion, the 2016 Appo Team was the best 2A team I've seen since the turn of the century regarding dominance. The Gretna teams of 03 and 04 were good, and technically, I guess they were Div 3 (small double A ball). I watched both of them. In 2003 and 2004, they dominated. In 2004, they beat Poquoson in the state title game. They had no close games at all in 2004 except for a 7 point win over Christiansburg in the playoffs, but that game was well in hand, and Christiansburg added two late scores to make it look closer than what it really was. In 2003, Gretna destroyed everyone in its path, except for playing on the road in Bluefield against Graham and they nearly lost to an Ahmad Bradshaw led team that got within I think 6-7 points and driving to tie late in the game, but Gretna held on and won the next game (the state title game) in a blow out over Monticello.

Still, I think the 2016 Appo team was the best I've seen. They just simply weren't challenged all year, and even the great Gretna teams had a close call in the playoffs, once in 2003 (near miss for Gretna against Graham) and in 2004 it was kind of-respectably close against Christiansburg. If you go back since the turn of the century, you will be hard pressed to find (simply will not find) at team like Appo in 2016 that just went unchallenged from start to finish in the playoffs. Since 2000ish, every 2A or (formerly Div 2 and Div 3) had at least 1 "close call" in the playoffs. Appo had that in 2015 with Richlands and going to OT, and having to come back from 2 TD's down midway in the 4th. I think Appo of 2016 was the best in the last 20 or so years; however, the 1997 Powell Valley Div 2 ("big" single A ball at the time) team led by Julius Jones would rank just as high as Appo of 2016, as they weren't tested in 4 games of the playoffs. That Powell Valley team was a dominant team and just heads above everyone , and walked through the playoffs like Appo did nearly 20 years later.

For Folks Interested, Below is the Commendation for Gretna High's 2003 State Title Team Written by the Virginia House of Delegates.....

"2004 SESSION ENROLLED HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 223 Commending the Gretna High School football team. Agreed to by the House of Delegates, January 16, 2004 Agreed to by the Senate, January 22, 2004 WHEREAS, on a cold, windy December day in Lynchburg, the Hawks from Gretna High School in Pittsylvania County accomplished what no Gretna football team had done before; and WHEREAS, the Gretna High School football team won the 2003 Virginia High School League Group AA, Division 3 state championship; and WHEREAS, the first football team in school history to win a state title, the Gretna Hawks put the crowning touch on a perfect season by defeating Monticello High School, 48––18, in the state championship game; and WHEREAS, with a perfect season record of 14––0, the Gretna Hawks, rarely challenged, dominated their opponents throughout the regular season and the regional and state championship playoffs; and WHEREAS, an explosive offense and a determined, senior-led defense characterized Coach Robert Senseney's Hawks who enjoyed unparalleled support from the Gretna community, hundreds of whom traveled to the state title game at Liberty University; and WHEREAS, the Hawks advanced to the final game by defeating a powerful team from perennial title contender Graham High School and then dominated Monticello's Mustangs by gaining 500 yards in the championship game; and WHEREAS, the triumphant performance of the Gretna High School Hawks is a tribute to the leadership of Head Coach Robert Senseney and his staff; the talent, perseverance, and teamwork of the athletes; and the sustained and enthusiastic support of the Gretna community; now, therefore, be it RESOLVED by the House of Delegates, the Senate concurring, That the General Assembly commend and congratulate the 2003 Gretna High School Hawks on their state championship season; and, be it RESOLVED FURTHER, That the Clerk of the House of Delegates prepare a copy of this resolution for presentation to Head Coach Robert Senseney in honor of the exceptional and unprecedented performance of the 2003 Gretna High School football team."
You got to remember that Gretna game with Graham was 2 true powerhouses facing each other.....Appo never saw a team as good as Graham in their run to the title. Gretna had 3 young men play in college from that team and the best player on D (Moon) could have played for anyone but we know how some are not motivated when it comes to academics. Of course it’s all opinions, just mine.

Ok Va BlueDevil. Since you and others are totally convinced it's going to be Appo by a mile. I'll take Glenvar and 36 points. That should be more than fair cause most on here think it'll be 36-0 by halftime ro worse. Wasn't it 35-0 against Giles by half and after all Giles beat Glenvar..right? What is big money to you?

I just said they would win the game never said anything about how bad cause 1 point or 100 points is the same a loss

So if you want glenvar and I'll take Appomattox even then you name the money amount...but if it's not over $500 don't waste my time

I just said they would win the game never said anything about how bad cause 1 point or 100 points is the same a loss

So if you want glenvar and I'll take Appomattox even then you name the money amount...but if it's not over $500 don't waste my time

Bluedevil...I take bets but only when they are heavily in my favor. An even bet doesn't interest me as Appo is expected to win and Glenvar has a monumental task ahead if they are going to beat them. There are fools who say Appo is going to win by 40. If I'm betting, I'm trolling for some suckers.

Bluedevil...I take bets but only when they are heavily in my favor. An even bet doesn't interest me as Appo is expected to win and Glenvar has a monumental task ahead if they are going to beat them. There are fools who say Appo is going to win by 40. If I'm betting, I'm trolling for some suckers.

I never said how many just that Appomattox would win period...no style points at this stage of season

You got to remember that Gretna game with Graham was 2 true powerhouses facing each other.....Appo never saw a team as good as Graham in their run to the title. Gretna had 3 young men play in college from that team and the best player on D (Moon) could have played for anyone but we know how some are not motivated when it comes to academics. Of course it’s all opinions, just mine.

Is that the year Ahmad Bradshaw was a senior of Graham?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT