ADVERTISEMENT

Region 2C: #2 Martinsville 42 #7 Dan River 39

MascotMemorizer

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 30, 2007
Thursday's rematch with Dan River against Martinsville was much closer than the first meeting. In the end, the Bulldogs came out with a 42-39 victory over the #7 seeded Wildcats.
Dan River led 14-0 and 21-14 at halftime. The Bulldogs scored two consecutive TDs and took a 28-21 after three quarters (btw, the rain started coming down in the 2nd half). The 4th quarter was like a 12-round of a boxing match as they traded TDs with each other. Martinsville went up 35-21, but DR responded with a TD pass from Shamar Ferguson to Jaidon Haynes, but the score was 35-27 as the PAT was barely missed. Martinsville scored their final TD with 8 minutes left, going up 42-27. DR put together another drive capped by a short run by Ferguson, but the conversion pass failed to make 42-33 with 5 minutes remaining. DR got a stop and reached the end zone one more time on a sneak by Ferguson and DR trailed 42-39 with just under 2 minutes.

Dan River sophomore RB DJ Gregory (#3) rushed for over 175 yards & 2 TDs while Jaidon Haynes (#1) had 2 TD receptions on 7 catches
Shamar Ferguson (#4) threw 2 TDs, 1 INT, and ran in 2 TDs. UVA commit Ty'Lyric Coleman (#2) had over 10 catches & over 100 yards, breaking the 1,000-yard Mark in receiving this year.

Defensively, senior Jakari Thomas (#12) had a team-high 12 tackles and forced a fumble, that was recovered by Malachi James (#32). Neither player played in the first contest with the Bulldogs

On another note, it was great to meet you Horsepasture. Good luck to the Bulldogs against Glenvar (another rematch)

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Great to talk to you Mascot. Dan River really came to play last night. The players who didn't play the first game against us were real difference makers. The Wildcats could have given up when the Dogs went up by 2 scores in the 4th but they kept their heads up and battled to the end, heck if they could have got that last onside kick they could have won. Hope to meet up again during bball season, we always have great games with each other on the hardwood.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
Great to talk to you Mascot. Dan River really came to play last night. The players who didn't play the first game against us were real difference makers. The Wildcats could have given up when the Dogs went up by 2 scores in the 4th but they kept their heads up and battled to the end, heck if they could have got that last onside kick they could have won. Hope to meet up again during bball season, we always have great games with each other on the hardwood.
Dan River basketball vs. Martinsville
(I'll be with the girls both nights.)
Wednesday Dec. 7 - Martinsville at Dan River (boys)
Monday, Dec. 12 - Dan River at Martinsville (boys)

Hadn't checked the bball schedule, didn't realize we were playing twice. That's good to know, it had become a good rivalry under coaches Adkins and Murphy and I'm sure it will continue under the new coaches.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
Hadn't checked the bball schedule, didn't realize we were playing twice. That's good to know, it had become a good rivalry under coaches Adkins and Murphy and I'm sure it will continue under the new coaches.
Our new coach is a familiar one. Coach Ben Elliott has been on the bench for the Wildcats under both Coach Murphy and Coach Jacob Gruse.

It's going to be interesting for us. Coach Campbell, played D1 ball at Buffalo then played overseas for 15+ years, so I'm thinking it's going to be a change in style and philosophy for the Dogs this year. I'm hoping for a good year. We play a pretty tough schedule for a school our size so hopefully we will be competitive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT