ADVERTISEMENT

Region 3C Boys Playoffs

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
#8 Wilson Memorial (14-8) @ #1 Spotswood (24-0)
#5 Heritage Lynchburg (16-5) @ #4 Staunton (16-6)
#6 Broadway (16-7) @ #3 Rustburg (18-2)
#7 Alleghany (18-5) @ #2 Western Albemarle (18-5)

Man, some strong records all around in this region!

Heritage beat Staunton twice this year, both close games, so it could be a classic tale of "hard to beat a good team three times" but we will see. Not really sure how Staunton got a higher seed than them, Heritage has a better record and a stronger SOS, plus beat them twice, but who the heck knows how these power points work. Either way I think Heritage wins another close one.

Rustburg has had an amazing season. They beat Northside this year. Broadway is very solid but they got a bad draw. Also not sure how Rustburg isn't the 2 seed but whatever. Rustburg wins by 7-8 points.

Alleghany has a great record but Western will roll them. Rustburg @ Western for a state berth will be a huge game, two teams that are definitely good enough to be in.

Spotswood will roll Wilson.

Last edited:
Spotswood will roll the region.
I disagree this year. Western’s size will give Spotswood problems, especially cause Deane is out. Rustburg also has one of the most impressive resumes in all of Class 3. Spotswood very well may win, but I would be shocked if they rolled whoever makes the region final with them. Heritage and Staunton are solid too!

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
#6 Broadway (16-7) @ #3 Rustburg (18-2)

Man, some strong records all around in this region!

Heritage beat Staunton twice this year, both close games, so it could be a classic tale of "hard to beat a good team three times" but we will see. Not really sure how Staunton got a higher seed than them, Heritage has a better record and a stronger SOS, plus beat them twice, but who the heck knows how these power points work. Either way I think Heritage wins another close one.

Rustburg has had an amazing season. They beat Northside this year. Broadway is very solid but they got a bad draw. Also not sure how Rustburg isn't the 2 seed but whatever. Rustburg wins by 7-8 points.

Alleghany has a great record but Western will roll them. Rustburg @ Western for a state berth will be a huge game, two teams that are definitely good enough to be in.

Spotswood will roll Wilson.
You happen to have the time(s) and date(s)? If so and can post or drop me an e-mail - hatfieldsports@gmail.com - as I hope to keep it updated in a spreadsheet, it would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: blackknight_pride
You happen to have the time(s) and date(s)? If so and can post or drop me an e-mail - hatfieldsports@gmail.com - as I hope to keep it updated in a spreadsheet, it would be greatly appreciated!
Not sure about the times, but I do know all the games are slated for Friday 2/16 as of now. Excited to see you release your bracket tracker.

Reactions: matthew328826
I disagree this year. Western’s size will give Spotswood problems, especially cause Deane is out. Rustburg also has one of the most impressive resumes in all of Class 3. Spotswood very well may win, but I would be shocked if they rolled whoever makes the region final with them. Heritage and Staunton are solid too!
Ok. Maybe my take was a little hot. They have just looked extremely good the times I have seen them.

Spotswood will roll the region.
I disagree. Western will give them all they want. Styles make matchups and Western matches up really well with spotswood and they also play a slower pace than most. Good defense and slow pace will make for a close low scoring game IMO. Rustburg is the wildcard IMO. The seminole is weak in basektball but they rolled through it and also beat Northside. I like Western to win this region over Spotswood.

Beat me to the punch big dog. I'm with you, Western's size and style of play will at very least be Spotswood toughest opponent of the season.

Ok. Maybe my take was a little hot. They have just looked extremely good the times I have seen them.
They are very good indeed, next year with a healthy Deane, they should be the favorite to win states. Junior heavy bunch for the Blazers. Got to watch them twice vs Hburg, also saw Western three times, twice vs Hburg and once vs Cville. I hope they matchup because it'll be great game.

IMO, whomever wins the Spotswood/Western game is going to have a huge advantage. Wouldn’t want to have to take that trip down the mountain to Roanoke or Danville if I lose that game. I truly don’t know who wins 3D but I admit (as I’ve been noted to say Tunstall needed to step their schedule up and they did) that 3D will be closer than I originally expected. Spotswood has rolled this year (against a weaker schedule), whereas Western has battled Varina & Hampton in the summer, played Charlottesville and Albemarle 3x, and has a legit size advantage. Lots of really good basketball to be played but gimme Western vs LT for the state championship.

Regionals start in a little over 24 hours and still no bracket on the VHSL website. That's really inept
What is everyone's opinion on something like this?

I know that we have social media (Twitter aka X, Facebook, etc) nowadays to depend on up to the minute information, but I remember "back in the day" when High School Sports was a HUGE BIG deal in the local papers - you would always read articles about the games - scores were reported the next morning and there were endless articles about upcoming district tournaments (when they actually meant something) and so on.

Is it all come down to $$$?

Spottswood will roll through the first 2 games, but WA will be a dogfight. I'll take Tunstall coming out of Region D and they are a hand full. Best time of the Year!

End 1Q Staunton 14, Heritage 10 Region 3C

End 3Q Staunton 47, Heritage 31. Heritage cut the lead to 6 early in 3Q but Storm finish on 12-2 run

END 1Q: Spotswood 26, Wilson Memorial 11.Blazers setting the tempo early. Sprague had seven points in the period while Camryn Pacheco and Ja’Corey Shelton have six points each.

Western Albemarle boys basketball leads Alleghany 19-8 after one in the Region 3C quarterfinals

Last edited:
Halftime Update: Western Albemarle boys basketball leads Alleghany 37-20 at the break

HALF: Spotswood 53, Wilson Memorial 27.Blazers are in full control and just absolutely overwhelming the Green Hornets on both ends of the floor.Pacheco has 12 points, Shelton has 11.

Western Albemarle boys basketball leads Alleghany 60-24 headed into the fourth

Final: Western Albemarle boys basketball beats Alleghany 79-34 in the Region 3C quarterfinal

FINAL: Spotswood 92, Wilson Memorial 49.

The Blazers put on a clinic and advance to the Region 3C semifinals.

I hate it when Maxpreps or Scorestream has the score reversed. (Especially when they are the only place you can find a particular game score.
It’s also a little tricky when the boys AND the girls are playing the same schools on the same night!

Reactions: mike salem
FINAL: #1 Spotswood 64 #4 Staunton 53.

Big-time second half lifts the Trailblazers to the win.

Spotswood will host the winner of Western Albemarle-Rustburg in the Region 3C title game on Thursday.

Another trip to the #VHSL Class 3 state tourney for the Trailblazers, too.

Spotswood scoring:

@TylerSprague12_
- 14 Pts
Parker Webb - 13 Pts
Jackson Li - 12 Pts
@CamPacheco4
- 9 Pts
@Shelton_jacorey
- 8 Pts

Last edited:
I watched the 2nd half of Staunton/Spotswood on NFHS.

Staunton had their chances - missed a lot of open shots - had a LOT of charging fouls called on them.

It seemed the only thing they lacked this season was height - but they played with a lot of heart.

#2 Western Albemarle boys basketball advances to the Region 3C championship with a 71-46 win over #3 Rustburg.

REGION 3C Championship

End of 1Q: Spotswood 15, Western Albemarle 13.

Back-and-forth first quarter with Cam Pacheco's buzzer-beater at the end of the quarter serving as the difference thus far.

Half: #2 Western Albemarle 27 #1 Spotswood 26.

Cam Pacheco has seven points to lead the Trailblazers, while Chase Byington has five.

Western with the nice victory. The shot and foul seemed after the buzzer to me, so I think the refs made the right call after the huddle.

Reactions: pizzzzza
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT