ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4D Championship

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
WA vs Glass for the Region D Championship this Friday 7pm @ECG...

You couldn't find a bigger contrast in rosters. Every player for WA is over 6ft tall including four guys that are 6'6" or taller! Glass has two guys that are 6'2" but everyone else is under 6ft tall.

Who wins and why?

Reactions: blackknight_pride
WA vs Glass for the Region D Championship this Friday 7pm @ECG...

You couldn't find a bigger contrast in rosters. Every player for WA is over 6ft tall including four guys that are 6'6" or taller! Glass has two guys that are 6'2" but everyone else is under 6ft tall.

Who wins and why?
Should be very entertaining. I'd give the edge to Glass if they can buckle in and box out the big guys. Western doesn't have anyone that can keep Glass's guards from getting to the rim. Sime is their best inside presence and is a pretty great rim defender but he's a little like Jaren Jackson Jr. in that he is always in foul trouble in big games. That being said, the Warriors have a plethora of big dudes that will do the little things really well, crash the offensive boards and make their free throws. They have a couple of really good guards, Gobble is the best shooter of the bunch but I think they will struggle if Glass applies good ball pressure and fights through screens well.

The contrast in style should prove to be a good game. If Glass gets the tempo up, makes Western run and plays their game, they'll run away with it. If they get caught playing a little slower and losing the board battle badly, then I think Western will grind it out.

Prediction: Western Albemarle 59 EC Glass 64

I think both teams have a good shot at beating the qualifiers from 4C.

Reactions: VolNation85
Western gets this one. Size, can shoot it, does the little things very well. Glass is the more talented team and will still have a shot at the state championship.

Reactions: VolNation85
Both teams are elite on defense. think it will be a low scoring game. Possibly with both teams in the 40-49 point range. Glass is giving up 43 PPG and WA giving up 44 PPG respectively.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Tuscarora looks to be pretty good out of 4C.
I could be wrong but I think that region is down this year. LC and LV are usually the top teams in that region and both of them were down this year, by their standards. Handley usually produces some competitive teams and they are in the region championship this year but they are 14-10 on the year. I think WA and Glass both will advance to the Final 4 this year for a rematch of the 4D championship game.

I could be wrong but I think that region is down this year. LC and LV are usually the top teams in that region and both of them were down this year, by their standards. Handley usually produces some competitive teams and they are in the region championship this year but they are 14-10 on the year. I think WA and Glass both will advance to the Final 4 this year for a rematch of the 4D championship game.

Agreed. Tuscy has a great record but I think it is weak up there compared to year's past. Had trouble with Sherando (don't get me wrong not a bad team at all) but there will certainly be tougher competition down the line. Handley lost to Spotswood by 25+ twice.

Varina isn’t the Varina they’ve been the past 6 years. They normally have a lot of length and is able to play bully ball. Kings Fork tends to play undisciplined in the big game. I can see Glass beating King’s Fork and Varina this year.

Glass is the top rated C4 team by MaxPreps and they just beat the #3 team. I definitely can see Glass taking home the title. Varina is really good as well
The class 4 state champion will be between the winner of Varina vs Kingf1s Fork semis, which will be next week. I believe glass has a good team but they don't play the level competition or athletes that Kings Fork or Varina plays. IMO the top 3 teams in C4 was Varina, Kings Fork, and Eastern View.

Reactions: OCBoy
The class 4 state champion will be between the winner of Varina vs Kingf1s Fork semis, which will be next week. I believe glass has a good team but they don't play the level competition or athletes that Kings Fork or Varina plays. IMO the top 3 teams in C4 was Varina, Kings Fork, and Eastern View.
Those forfeits for Eastern View hurt them in the playoffs. Had they not forfeited they would have been the 1 seed in 4B and playing Varina for the region championship at home. The way they played them at Varina and leading late makes you wonder if Varina is not as good as last year. Very well possible Varina was overlooking them too.

Those forfeits for Eastern View hurt them in the playoffs. Had they not forfeited they would have been the 1 seed in 4B and playing Varina for the region championship at home. The way they played them at Varina and leading late makes you wonder if Varina is not as good as last year. Very well possible Varina was overlooking them too.
Varina is definitely not as good as last year. They lost alot from last year but Kings Fork is not as good as last year neither because they lost a lot too. Varina had to forfeited a couple games but Eastern View would have been a tough out at home

Dinwiddie gave varina a good game last night varina pulled it out 73-66 but Matoaca crushed king George by 25 points so I think they can beat varina.
We gave up too many backdoor cuts in the first half. Smh #1 for Varina killed us that was the story of the game. I honestly believe Matoaca wins Monday having seen both teams. I doubt anyone will have an answer for KF tho 🥴

We gave up too many backdoor cuts in the first half. Smh #1 for Varina killed us that was the story of the game. I honestly believe Matoaca wins Monday having seen both teams. I doubt anyone will have an answer for KF tho 🥴
KF looked unbeatable last year. I watched them probably 8 times in person. George Beale could’ve easily been state player of the year and they dominated every opponent. How the game was played at Varina, we’ll never know but they got off the bus out of synch. Varina slowed the tempo down in the state semi’s and it was over by halftime. This year there’s 3-4 teams who can win it.

Saw Glass and Western Albemarble play Friday night. Glass beat WA with quickness and keeping the big's of WA from getting the ball inside. Glass has very little depth. Know nothing about John Handley. Hope to go see that game.

I said it before KF will be Varina biggest challenge. They match up well with them athletically and skill wise plus kids from both teams play AAU together. KJ Wyche is the best player in C4, the junior pg had 41 points tonight against Matoaca.

Saw Glass and Western Albemarble play Friday night. Glass beat WA with quickness and keeping the big's of WA from getting the ball inside. Glass has very little depth. Know nothing about John Handley. Hope to go see that game.
Glass actually has quite a bit of depth. Coach Best does a great job of playing certain guys based on the matchup. What separates Glass from most HS teams is that they have great guard play on offense and defense. They make it nearly impossible for other teams to get comfortable because they harass them full court for 4 quarters.

I would really be surprised if Handley kept it within 20 points.

Last edited:
I said it before KF will be Varina biggest challenge. They match up well with them athletically and skill wise plus kids from both teams play AAU together. KJ Wyche is the best player in C4, the junior pg had 41 points tonight against Matoaca.
I think Dre Harris from Glass is a legit POY candidate in Class 4. I definitely believe Wyche and Harris are the 2 best in C4 this year. I hope we get to see a Varina-Glass and Wyche-Harris matchup in the championship.

Last edited:
Glass will beat Handley by 35+. Running clock. Glass/Varina state championship. Go Toppers!
I originally thought it would be Glass/Varina but I'm going to change that to Glass/KF after a lil research. Glass and KF are by far the two best defensive teams statistically in Class 4 this year. You know the saying...defense wins championships.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT