ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4D Championship

I originally thought it would be Glass/Varina but I'm going to change that to Glass/KF after a lil research. Glass and KF are by far the two best defensive teams statistically in Class 4 this year. You know the saying...defense wins championships.
I agree Vols. Varina has Wyche, Derricott and that’s all really. Stinson would make a little difference. I don’t think they’ll have enough firepower to beat KF in Suffolk.

Reactions: VolNation85
Yea but they are clearing the gym between both games...lame out of the vhsl instead of charging $12-$14 and and can stay for both
That’s down right greed. I have a lot to say about it but I’m in no position to change things. I just hate it for the younger generation that they can’t experience some of the joys I had as a child. I remember the days when they’d have a triple header for Heritage boys and the Altavista boys and girls at LC. Roanoke College and Bassett would host 2-3 quarterfinal games as well. For $8 I’ve seen some legendary basketball. Salem Civic Center would host 3 games on Friday and 6 on Saturday. I’m talking Ben Boggs, JJ Redrick, Troy Daniels, Luke Hancock. Those were the days.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
That’s down right greed. I have a lot to say about it but I’m in no position to change things. I just hate it for the younger generation that they can’t experience some of the joys I had as a child. I remember the days when they’d have a triple header for Heritage boys and the Altavista boys and girls at LC. Roanoke College and Bassett would host 2-3 quarterfinal games as well. For $8 I’ve seen some legendary basketball. Salem Civic Center would host 3 games on Friday and 6 on Saturday. I’m talking Ben Boggs, JJ Redrick, Troy Daniels, Luke Hancock. Those were the days.
I miss the super sites

My thing is if it comes down to Varina & KF again, Varinas’ others will have to score. Against us KJ has 26 Cosby had 20 no one else had over 8. Against Matoaca Kj had 41 the 2nd scorer had 12 no one else had over 8. We played to make the others beat us an in the 2nd Quarter Cosby did on backdoor cuts smh. We adjust to the cuts but by then it was too late. KF is a much better team than Dinwiddie an I feel they will go by this same approach “Make the others beat us” in that regard I don’t believe Varina will be able to. I have been wrong before tho

Had to leave the gym and stand in the rain between games. Lots more Altavista fans there than Glass fans. Was two good games. Altavista has some good 3 shooters. Glass is super quick on defense.

Had to leave the gym and stand in the rain between games. Lots more Altavista fans there than Glass fans. Was two good games. Altavista has some good 3 shooters. Glass is super quick on defense.
There were way more Glass fans. The here were Glass fans on both sides of the gym. All of Handley’s fans were directly behind them.

Everywhere else was Glass. The game sold out

My thing is if it comes down to Varina & KF again, Varinas’ others will have to score. Against us KJ has 26 Cosby had 20 no one else had over 8. Against Matoaca Kj had 41 the 2nd scorer had 12 no one else had over 8. We played to make the others beat us an in the 2nd Quarter Cosby did on backdoor cuts smh. We adjust to the cuts but by then it was too late. KF is a much better team than Dinwiddie an I feel they will go by this same approach “Make the others beat us” in that regard I don’t believe Varina will be able to. I have been wrong before tho
An once again I was wrong . The OTHER beat KF tonight. #10 became Steph Curry in the 4th Quarter for Varina. A massive effort from Varina in the 4th

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
A once again I was wrong . The OTHER beat KF tonight. #10 became Steph Curry in the 4th Quarter for Varina. A massive effort from Varina in the 4th
Horrible game bro. Just left Cave Spring/Northside. Worth the 3 hour drive to Roanoke. Springers lost too.

Reactions: SFUWO
P H has been a surprise
Eshworthy is a 🐐! Always been one of my favorite basketball coaches. People sleep on Roanoke ball but it’s one of the best areas in the state. Cave Spring, Northside, Fleming, and PH were all state contenders and can play with just about anyone in the state.

Once Glass got hot Tuscarora had no answer. It’s been 59 years!
Congrats my man! Hopeful the Toppers will beat Varina up for the 434.

Eshworthy is a 🐐! Always been one of my favorite basketball coaches. People sleep on Roanoke ball but it’s one of the best areas in the state. Cave Spring, Northside, Fleming, and PH were all state contenders and can play with just about anyone in the state.

Hopefully they can do it like GW did in 2019!

They will. Gotta play all 32 minutes. Varina is a challenge but Glass is one of the few teams in VA that can beat them.
Really rooting for Coach DJ to get this one. After everything he’s been through, to come back and lead his team to the State championship? What a story!

I know EC Glass has a long history and some great players that have graced the court in the many years it has been in existence, but O’maundre Harris could very well be the greatest player in the history of the school. He’s averaging 33 points a game in the state tournament.

Once Glass got hot Tuscarora had no answer. It’s been 59 years!
Glass had contributions from everyone. Their consistent pressure on defense wears you down and Tusky got frustrated and out of sync. Congrats to Glass! Crazy there were 13 or 14 fouls called in the first quarter.

Last edited:
Reactions: lyhsports
Glass had contributions from everyone. Their consistent pressure on defense wears you down and Tusky got frustrated and out of sync. Congrats to Glass! Crazy there 13 or 14 fouls called in the first quarter.
17 fouls is crazy! Bodies were hitting the floor lol. 24 in the first half.

Reactions: catchtds
17 fouls is crazy! Bodies were hitting the floor lol. 24 in the first half.
The interesting part I thought, it was like that in the second half too but they eased up on calling fouls. I really liked #0 for Tusky and he is just a jr.

Really rooting for Coach DJ to get this one. After everything he’s been through, to come back and lead his team to the State championship? What a story!

I know EC Glass has a long history and some great players that have graced the court in the many years it has been in existence, but O’maundre Harris could very well be the greatest player in the history of the school. He’s averaging 33 points a game in the state tournament.
That's not crazy to say at all! He's won Region POY 2 years in a row and led his team to the state championship game for the first time in 56 years. I'm not sure if anyone else has ever won multiple Region POY awards for Glass.

I think Dre Harris from Glass is a legit POY candidate in Class 4. I definitely believe Wyche and Harris are the 2 best in C4 this year. I hope we get to see a Varina-Glass and Wyche-Harris matchup in the championship.
@Thomasddev looks like I'll get my wish for a Varina-Glass and Wyche-Harris matchup! The two best guards in Class 4 this year! Winner will be State POY!

Are you going to the game?

That gym was full and absolutely rocking. Again, bowlingref's constant comments about lack of fan support for the city schools are BS when it comes to E.C. Glass football and basketball.
Any theories as to his motivation?
Couldn't agree more! This pic looks a lot different than what bowlingref describes!

Trust me I know how good basketball is here in the Valley. I just didn't see PH making it to the Final this yr after losing to William Fleming 2x

Trust me I know how good basketball is here in the Valley. I just didn't see PH making it to the Final this yr after losing to William Fleming 2x
Anything can happen in rivalry games! Roanoke basketball was great this year. Personally I think Northside and Cave Spring would beat Hopewell, but we will see. Hope PH can pull it out!

Personally I think hopewell could beat cave springs and Northside it will come down to defense and hopewell can play defense.

Rivalry game. Troy Daniels lost to PH his senior year and PH was a middle of the road team and Fleming made it all the way to the state championship. Probably one of the last remaining real basketball rivalries in the state.

Rivalry game. Troy Daniels lost to PH his senior year and PH was a middle of the road team and Fleming made it all the way to the state championship. Probably one of the last remaining real basketball rivalries in the state.
I disagree about the last statement! Albemarle/Western Albemarle boys have been going at it for 30 years. I’m pretty sure the all time series is exactly tied right now in terms of wins. The head coaches are brothers, Greg and Darren Maynard. Though both have yet to capture a state title, tons of success over the years between the two.

I disagree about the last statement! Albemarle/Western Albemarle boys have been going at it for 30 years. I’m pretty sure the all time series is exactly tied right now in terms of wins. The head coaches are brothers, Greg and Darren Maynard. Though both have yet to capture a state title, tons of success over the years between the two.
No doubt that’s a great one. I also said “one of” 😂.. I’d also throw Battlefield and Patriot in there. Man those games are battles.

That gym was full and absolutely rocking. Again, bowlingref's constant comments about lack of fan support for the city schools are BS when it comes to E.C. Glass football and basketball.
Any theories as to his motivation?
My motivation is looking at the stands when I ref a ball game at Glass or Heritage. Good crowds for the playoffs. Regular season not so much. I was at city stadium for a Heritage-Rustburg in one of the years when Heritage won the state championship. I t was 50 fans in attendance for Heritage.
Last Thursday night after the Altavista game the Heritage gym was about half full at best. Altavista had 3/4 of the side behind the benches full for their game. Not so when Glass played. I was there for both games.

Last edited:
I believe they use to have to play games at civic centers in late 80's. Not 100 % positive due to not being at the games. Just what I've heard

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I believe they use to have to play games at civic centers in late 80's. Not 100 % positive due to not being at the games. Just what I've heard
They did. They played at Roanoke Civic Center in the late 2000s.

My motivation is looking at the stands when I ref a ball game at Glass or Heritage. Good crowds for the playoffs. Regular season not so much. I was at city stadium for a Heritage-Rustburg in one of the years when Heritage won the state championship. I t was 50 fans in attendance for Heritage.
Thanks for expanding on this topic. You seem to conflate Glass and Heritage a lot. What is similar about those schools that influences your perception of community support?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT