ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4D point standing updates

I mean, this is the nature of seeded playoffs. Unless you want to switch to the FBS bowl system, this is what you get.

I mean, this is the nature of seeded playoffs. Unless you want to switch to the FBS bowl system, this is what you get.
I was saying it more in response to being told to play everyone in your region, then having a region play-off. I get you will hit certain teams in the play-offs you saw earlier, but I think you should try to avoid it if you can. Some people think top teams should purposefully schedule each other during the regular season. I'm the opposite. I say stay away if possible. Go play out of class teams or at least out of region teams.

Not with Cross region bracketing

Nobody is signing up for that. Who wants to host a playoff game on a Friday where the other team is 4 hours away and brings 38 fans? You want to cross bracket, wait for the semis when it's the VHSL collecting money but asking schools to stretch already paper-thin budgets for longer bus rides for road games and less take on home games is just a bad idea. Nobody wins on that except fans who dislike rematches in the playoffs and if you're a true fan you're going to the rematch regardless.

I'm the opposite. I hate rematches in the playoffs. It is what it is though.
I don't like to see rematches either. I was just pointing out some teams have played or will play up to 3 other teams from the region before the playoffs start. Looks like all the first round games will be rematches.

Reactions: VolNation85
I agree. I said this just now in another thread. 2 teams play and each win a game but one team goes on because of the time of year? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO.
Makes since if one team improved as the season progressed.

Nobody is signing up for that. Who wants to host a playoff game on a Friday where the other team is 4 hours away and brings 38 fans? You want to cross bracket, wait for the semis when it's the VHSL collecting money but asking schools to stretch already paper-thin budgets for longer bus rides for road games and less take on home games is just a bad idea. Nobody wins on that except fans who dislike rematches in the playoffs and if you're a true fan you're going to the rematch regardless.
VHSL starts collecting in 1st round.

I currently coach in Georgia and have for a while, it is done that way here and works incredibly well. Significantly better than my time in VA with district play, power ratings system, region championship being 3rd round of state playoffs, etc.
experienced them both

Reactions: VolNation85
I currently coach in Georgia and have for a while, it is done that way here and works incredibly well. Significantly better than my time in VA with district play, power ratings system, region championship being 3rd round of state playoffs, etc.
experienced them both
I'm familiar with the GHSA format as well and I wish it was done the same in Virginia as well. However, I'm not sure it's feasible just from a geographic perspective. The furthest possible trip in GA might be from Thomasville to Blairsville which is about 5.5 hours or Columbus to Savannah which is about 4hrs. When VHSL did the cross bracket, it wasn't uncommon to have a match-up where a team from the Eastern Shore traveling to Gate City. That's 8hrs minimum! It's just not financially feasible for most schools to do that in VA. It's too bad too because I would love to see the GHSA format here.

Last edited:
Its crazy how much different things are now with the requirements for just making the playoffs. The 2003 Salem team was 8-2 and missed the playoffs. The second to last game of that regular season pitted Salem against Blacksburg, who were both 8-1 teams and the loser of that game was going to miss the playoffs and Blacksburg won on a game winning FG. That Salem team had two very close loses that were both somewhat unfortunate games (William Byrd with typical crazy trick plays by Highfill and Blacksburg finding a big matchup advantage with Sam Wheeler) but it absolutely had the potential to be a state championship team. They throttled one of the best teams William Fleming has ever had that went on to lose a close game in the state championship. The very next year 8-1 Salem and 8-1 Pulaski locked in the final regular season game. This time Salem won the game handily in a mud bowl and went on to the playoffs and state championship but Pulaski could have made some serious noise in the playoffs that year, had they gotten the opportunity.

It just seems like every game used to matter so much and now every team in the region has y for a clinched playoff birth beside their name before the season even begins. Also, I just feel bad that coach White didn't have a chance to win it all in his last season... that team was really good.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
It just seems like every game used to matter so much and now every team in the region has y for a clinched playoff birth beside their name before the season even begins. Also, I just feel bad that coach White didn't have a chance to win it all in his last season... that team was really good.

It's only seemed that way in select years. 2000 Salem went 6-4 (they lost to CS, I don't care that the win was given back) when the wheels fell off after those tremendous '98 and '99 squads and the starting QB tore his ACL in preseason but because they got to make the playoffs they won when it mattered most and finished the second three-peat in VHSL history. I mean, Blacksburg was what, 5-5 a few years ago? If your bad team is bad they'll lose and that's it, if your bad team can put it all together then I'm all for seeing how deep of a run they can do.

Reactions: lyhsports
It only took our coach 10 games to figure out to hand the ball to Cole Beck. That team was so much better than 5-5.

Reactions: SFUWO
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT