ADVERTISEMENT

Region 5B Semi-Finals:#4 Varina Blue Devils vs #1 HSHS Springers @ Hermitage HS

Who will win

• Varina High School

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Highland Springs High School

Votes: 25 51.0%

• Total voters
But in all seriousness to win 4 in a row is one hell of an accomplishment. Congrats to Springers on a great run.
Agree-a superb accomplishment. And if what their fans say is true, the cupboard is not bare. I suspect they will challenge again next year.

Reactions: springer76
Congratulations to Highland Springs coaches, players and community on the amazing run, but it had to end sometime. I can't see anyone replicating it anytime soon!

It's Varina's time now.

Congratulations to Highland Springs coaches, players and community on the amazing run, but it had to end sometime. I can't see anyone replicating it anytime soon!

It's Varina's time now.
at least until next Saturday

Congrats on the run brother. Hell of a run. HS fans should be extremely proud. Hopefully the Messer Road Boyz bring the championship back to the East End.
I am!... and honestly, I had a feeling deep inside that this run would end tonight. HS was good this year, but.... they just didn't have all of what the previous 4 had, offensive explosiveness! Great run and I am extremely proud if our kids and staff at HS. They will continue to do great things, this year the title will go to the most deserving!

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Just watched the game on the YouTube link it’s like hs wasn’t the same team look totally different out there on defense , I’m guessing y’all had a few key secondary defensive men out or something, it’s like how y’all beat them last game and won it was Vice versa and I counted like 4 interceptions on hs , but Great run 4yr state champs is hard to do and I’m sure next yr y’all gonna be back.

I am!... and honestly, I had a feeling deep inside that this run would end tonight. HS was good this year, but.... they just didn't have all of what the previous 4 had, offensive explosiveness! Great run and I am extremely proud if our kids and staff at HS. They will continue to do great things, this year the title will go to the most deserving!

I told folks that for much of the season, especially after seeing them twice before last night. Love Coach Johnson and that staff over there, still none better in the region in my eyes but the Springers just didn't have the offense to match the defense this season. I was questioned just last week, Highland Springs 2019 or Highland Springs 2018, who you got? I didn't even blink, 2018. That said, do not think for a second that the Springers sink into oblivion as I have no doubt they will be back next year and have another say in who wins it all.

What you guys accomplished over the last 4 years is just remarkable and I feel for the coaches and players. I told my wife last night when I got home that as great as I felt for the Blue Devils, I felt just as much sorrow for the Springers as I could see how hurt they were that they lost.

Springers have lost before, granted 2017 being the last but these Springers now have never experienced not playing in a state championship... unfamiliar territory.

I told folks that for much of the season, especially after seeing them twice before last night. Love Coach Johnson and that staff over there, still none better in the region in my eyes but the Springers just didn't have the offense to match the defense this season. I was questioned just last week, Highland Springs 2019 or Highland Springs 2018, who you got? I didn't even blink, 2018. That said, do not think for a second that the Springers sink into oblivion as I have no doubt they will be back next year and have another say in who wins it all.

What you guys accomplished over the last 4 years is just remarkable and I feel for the coaches and players. I told my wife last night when I got home that as great as I felt for the Blue Devils, I felt just as much sorrow for the Springers as I could see how hurt they were that they lost.

Springers have lost before, granted 2017 being the last but these Springers now have never experienced not playing in a state championship... unfamiliar territory.
My sentiments exactly, Dan. I was sorry for the kids especially. This year's team was pumped up with all the hype that anyone would be proud of. National ranking, #1 in State, 4 straight State Champions, 40 game winning streak.... the accolades could go on and on. As the season went on, it became clear that the offense was missing something. Us as fans struggled to put a finger on it! QB passing ability? Different Running Backs ability? Line play?
One thing that wasn't questioned was the Defense! Highly touted across the board!!! Or was the coaching staff playing it safe with play calling and keeping the 1st string offense off of the field for most of the regular season?
I just don't know. I do know as a fan in the stands, all of these questions, points and exactly from what we could see with our own eyes, circulated abundantly throughout. Whatever it was, it doesn't matter now. We will have to wait until next year to see what changes take place and how it all fits together again. I think they will be just fine and will be a contender again!!! As far as the Central Region (Class 5B), it's entrant into the 2020 State Championships, will have to go through the Eastern end of Henrico once again!!!

My sentiments exactly, Dan. I was sorry for the kids especially. This year's team was pumped up with all the hype that anyone would be proud of. National ranking, #1 in State, 4 straight State Champions, 40 game winning streak.... the accolades could go on and on. As the season went on, it became clear that the offense was missing something. Us as fans struggled to put a finger on it! QB passing ability? Different Running Backs ability? Line play?
One thing that wasn't questioned was the Defense! Highly touted across the board!!! Or was the coaching staff playing it safe with play calling and keeping the 1st string offense off of the field for most of the regular season?
I just don't know. I do know as a fan in the stands, all of these questions, points and exactly from what we could see with our own eyes, circulated abundantly throughout. Whatever it was, it doesn't matter now. We will have to wait until next year to see what changes take place and how it all fits together again. I think they will be just fine and will be a contender again!!! As far as the Central Region (Class 5B), it's entrant into the 2020 State Championships, will have to go through the Eastern end of Henrico once again!!!

A thought I had and only players and coaches can truly answer but interested in your take as I know how big a fan you are and how close you are to the program. Do you think the tougher schedule worked against them at all? I know it was designed to make them battle tested but do you think it wore them down at all? Playing a tough schedule, having to comeback from early deficits against Oscar Smith and Manchester earlier in the season I just wonder if they ran out of steam.

A thought I had and only players and coaches can truly answer but interested in your take as I know how big a fan you are and how close you are to the program. Do you think the tougher schedule worked against them at all? I know it was designed to make them battle tested but do you think it wore them down at all? Playing a tough schedule, having to comeback from early deficits against Oscar Smith and Manchester earlier in the season I just wonder if they ran out of steam.
Good question. I don'f know the answer though. The coaches could answer that better than me. They all have that close (daily) connection to the kids, I don't! I don't have that kind of connection with the coaches either. All I have is eyes to see what appears and ears to hear other peoples opinions!
From what I saw, this team was not as explosive offensively and didn't have that dangerous passing attack the the previous 4 had to compliment the run game. Ironically, Varina has what we are missing. Vsrina looks a lot like us, last year!

Good question. I don'f know the answer though. The coaches could answer that better than me. They all have that close (daily) connection to the kids, I don't! I don't have that kind of connection with the coaches either. All I have is eyes to see what appears and ears to hear other peoples opinions!
From what I saw, this team was not as explosive offensively and didn't have that dangerous passing attack the the previous 4 had to compliment the run game. Ironically, Varina has what we are missing. Vsrina looks a lot like us, last year!
I tried to warn y’all!

I didn't need a warning, I knew Varina was capable! I expected HS to play better! 5 fumbles + 4 interceptions wouldn't and didn't cut the muster!
Yes sir. Now we gotta listen to these pitiful 757 fans who’ve been beat up by our 804 teams the past 7 (SEVEN.. not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, BUT 7 TIMES) talk about how neither Manchester or Varina will beat Maury. LOL!!!!

Yes sir. Now we gotta listen to these pitiful 757 fans who’ve been beat up by our 804 teams the past 7 (SEVEN.. not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, BUT 7 TIMES) talk about how neither Manchester or Varina will beat Maury. LOL!!!!
I think Varina or Manchester has a very good chance to take down either Maury or Salem!
I'll probably be at Manchester HS (The Hole) next Saturday on the Visitors side cheering on the Devils! As odd as it seems for me to say, "Go Blue Devils!"

We aren't pitiful and its good to see the 804 get some wins. What's really funny is that even in our down years, everyone outside of VA thinks of the 757 when they think of VA football. I guess its tough being the lil brother to the 757. LOL

We aren't pitiful and its good to see the 804 get some wins. What's really funny is that even in our down years, everyone outside of VA thinks of the 757 when they think of VA football. I guess its tough being the lil brother to the 757. LOL
Remember if it wasn't for the dumb reclassification it wouldn't be that talk about the 804 being better because in class 5 most of the 804 run they never really seen the best team from the 757 most years the region A champion usually was the 3 or 4th best team from the area this is the first year where the 804 is seeing the best team from 757 weather it Maury or Salem

Remember if it wasn't for the dumb reclassification it wouldn't be that talk about the 804 being better because in class 5 most of the 804 run they never really seen the best team from the 757 most years the region A champion usually was the 3 or 4th best team from the area this is the first year where the 804 is seeing the best team from 757 weather it Maury or Salem
Is there even a team up north that can beat ANY of the teams down here in the 804 or 757 for the state championship?

Agreed. Like them or not, Westfield can play with anybody in the state just about any year. They don't typically have the big recruits, but they are always well coached.

If it wasn't for the WCAC private schools taking most of the top talent in the DMV, we'd probably see a boost in some of the NOVA programs.

Agreed. Like them or not, Westfield can play with anybody in the state just about any year. They don't typically have the big recruits, but they are always well coached.

If it wasn't for the WCAC private schools taking most of the top talent in the DMV, we'd probably see a boost in some of the NOVA programs.

Westfield's Qb is committed to Michigan St.....he is legit....Westfield is good, but don't count out South County.....they are the best team I've seen in the Northern Region....just saying

Reactions: CavsGrad
Westfield's Qb is committed to Michigan St.....he is legit....Westfield is good, but don't count out South County.....they are the best team I've seen in the Northern Region....just saying
Yeah, I wouldn't bet against Westfield with Kim playing QB. Was looking forward to seeing him play Manchester last year before he got hurt. I haven't seen South County this year. I followed them a couple years back when my friend's son played for them. If I remember correctly, their offense could always put up points, but their defense would give up way too much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT