Region D #1 Salem vs. #5 GW-Danville

Who Wins?

• Salem

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • GW-Danville

Votes: 9 17.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The offensive line for Salem has improved and has gotten better each week since week 1. The defense for Salem have been playing lights out the past two weeks against PC and Amherst. The defense is lead by two stellar linebackers in Zavione Wood and Bobby Pinello. Wood flies around the ball. Pinello is playing with a hairline fracture in his arm so he is not at 100%. However, he still made an impact in the game against PC. GW has some good offense weapons in Senior Shawn Watlington and Senior Wesley Graves. I look for GW to go to the air early to Watlington to try to soften up the Salem defensive line. The secondary for Salem is the weakest part for the Salem defense so I think that GW will try to pick on the Mcondald twins early. The defensive line dominated the Amherst run game last week, and Amherst had no answer for sophomore defensive lineman Stacy Williams. From the videos on YouTube that I have seen on GW, I noticed that they have a solid special teams unit. This could cause fits for the Spartans, because of the fact that at times this season their special teams unit has had trouble defending kick off returns and punt returns. I look for GW to keep it close until halftime. But in the second half I think that the talent for Salem will just take over and will just be too much for the Eagles. I got Salem winning, 35-20.

I’m making it my obligation not to post but one time on this thread and I’ll start by saying that GW will be the underdog big time. In the only two meetings between Salem & GW, Danville has lost 48-28 & 42-13 and the second one wasn’t even close (not that the first one was but at least GW did hang around until the ugly ending). I’ve had the opportunity to speak to a couple of the current GW players in the past 48 hours about how important this game is & the kids know how important beating Salem is to the program. The staff has modeled a lot of what they do in the offseason in the weight room because of Salem. One of the apparent themes in those past two meetings was the trenches and what GW lacked when facing the Spartans. GW was pushed around both games. GW has improved tremendously in the trenches since that Salem game 2 years ago. I was impressed by how the lines competed with a very physical Pulaski team last year and the way they competed with Dinwiddie who was very strong, physical and fast. This year it’s not the line or defense but the reason I give Salem the edge as the GW offense has been next to none existent the past few weeks. Yes there are a few guys out but the botched snaps, the fumbles and turnovers will hurt you every time. Also GW has a bad habit of starting slow, it will hurt them if it happens on Friday. None the less, I will be there to support my guys (passing up the Highland Springs/Varina game for this!).. We’ll have a fan bus (only $20 to ride) going up so I pray that the city will come support the guys. May the best team win!

PF:

GW - 471
Salem - 422

PA:

GW - 253
Salem - 207

GW - 8 playoff teams on schedule (Dinwiddie, EC Glass, Magna Vista still alive)
Salem - 9 playoff teams on schedule (Northside, Hidden Valley, PH, Martinsburg WV, Pulaski still alive)

GW opponent's record: 51-57
Salem opponent's record: 62-47

CalPreps prediction: Salem 40 GW 27 on neutral field
Massey PI prediction: Salem 42 GW 26, 84% PWin for Salem

Last edited:
I’m making it my obligation not to post but one time on this thread and I’ll start by saying that GW will be the underdog big time. In the only two meetings between Salem & GW, Danville has lost 48-28 & 42-13 and the second one wasn’t even close (not that the first one was but at least GW did hang around until the ugly ending). I’ve had the opportunity to speak to a couple of the current GW players in the past 48 hours about how important this game is & the kids know how important beating Salem is to the program. The staff has modeled a lot of what they do in the offseason in the weight room because of Salem. One of the apparent themes in those past two meetings was the trenches and what GW lacked when facing the Spartans. GW was pushed around both games. GW has improved tremendously in the trenches since that Salem game 2 years ago. I was impressed by how the lines competed with a very physical Pulaski team last year and the way they competed with Dinwiddie who was very strong, physical and fast. This year it’s not the line or defense but the reason I give Salem the edge as the GW offense has been next to none existent the past few weeks. Yes there are a few guys out but the botched snaps, the fumbles and turnovers will hurt you every time. Also GW has a bad habit of starting slow, it will hurt them if it happens on Friday. None the less, I will be there to support my guys (passing up the Highland Springs/Varina game for this!).. We’ll have a fan bus (only $20 to ride) going up so I pray that the city will come support the guys. May the best team win!

This Salem team is not as good as the two teams that handled GW fairly easily. Salem has improved during the season, but they still have obvious weaknesses that can be exploited. This game should be close decided by mistakes.

Salem's defense has played exceptionally well since Martinsburg. While I agree that the secondary is still prone to occasional lapses in coverage, they have done much better making reads and not letting receivers get behind them. Even more encouraging, is their improvement getting off blocks and attacking the run. The corners have vastly improved in this area as well as both Collins and Logan running the alley from their positions. That having been said, this will be the first real test of speed and athleticism from the wideout spots since Martinsburg. GW has legit threats there, especially Watlington. If I'm them, I'd take a few deep shots from the beginning. I'd also look for GW to utilize screens to get Graves and Edmunds into open space from the backfield. Pulaski had some success with this on their last drive before Salem tightened up in the red zone. Some designed QB runs or draws might lead to some substantial yards for GW as well, especially if they have some success throwing early in the game. I believe someone said that Graves was battling some nagging injuries, so running against Salem's front and linebacker corp will be difficult. Even at full speed, very few backs have done anything against Salem's defense all year.
As has been already noted, Salem's offense has slowly but surely improved thanks to the growth on the line from "the mules". IMO, Pulaski was really the only team to consistently shut down Salem's backs. I thought they moved the ball slightly better against Martinsburg than against the stingy Cougars. Even so, Wood still eventually made the plays Salem needed off timely blocking from the O-line. If I was GW, it might be interesting to pull a Lake Taylor and throw everyone in the box to try and force Salem to beat you throwing the ball. Chaney has played better and more consistent the latter half of the season, but it might be worth giving up a score just to see if he's on point that night.
I've said from the beginning that I like this Salem team. They are young, but have matured. Talent is evident all over the field. I actually think they have all the pieces for a strong run if they play disciplined and smart. Even with recent injuries, players keep stepping up and I for one have enjoyed seeing some new names make plays. GW will be a test. I agree that their schedule this year will have them better prepared and seasoned. They certainly could win. However, I think based on Salem's play the last four games, they're coming together at the perfect time to exemplify the "Spartan effect".

Salem's defense has played exceptionally well since Martinsburg. While I agree that the secondary is still prone to occasional lapses in coverage, they have done much better making reads and not letting receivers get behind them. Even more encouraging, is their improvement getting off blocks and attacking the run. The corners have vastly improved in this area as well as both Collins and Logan running the alley from their positions. That having been said, this will be the first real test of speed and athleticism from the wideout spots since Martinsburg. GW has legit threats there, especially Watlington. If I'm them, I'd take a few deep shots from the beginning. I'd also look for GW to utilize screens to get Graves and Edmunds into open space from the backfield. Pulaski had some success with this on their last drive before Salem tightened up in the red zone. Some designed QB runs or draws might lead to some substantial yards for GW as well, especially if they have some success throwing early in the game. I believe someone said that Graves was battling some nagging injuries, so running against Salem's front and linebacker corp will be difficult. Even at full speed, very few backs have done anything against Salem's defense all year.
As has been already noted, Salem's offense has slowly but surely improved thanks to the growth on the line from "the mules". IMO, Pulaski was really the only team to consistently shut down Salem's backs. I thought they moved the ball slightly better against Martinsburg than against the stingy Cougars. Even so, Wood still eventually made the plays Salem needed off timely blocking from the O-line. If I was GW, it might be interesting to pull a Lake Taylor and throw everyone in the box to try and force Salem to beat you throwing the ball. Chaney has played better and more consistent the latter half of the season, but it might be worth giving up a score just to see if he's on point that night.
I've said from the beginning that I like this Salem team. They are young, but have matured. Talent is evident all over the field. I actually think they have all the pieces for a strong run if they play disciplined and smart. Even with recent injuries, players keep stepping up and I for one have enjoyed seeing some new names make plays. GW will be a test. I agree that their schedule this year will have them better prepared and seasoned. They certainly could win. However, I think based on Salem's play the last four games, they're coming together at the perfect time to exemplify the "Spartan effect".
I agree with all of this. I am very pleased with the team that Salem is becoming and they just keep getting better and better.

If Glass doesn't win the region, I think it'll only be because of Salem. They're still my state finalist sleeper.

Well GW Danville and Salem fans its time for these two longtime/traditional powers to butt heads again. I did a little research and it looks like Salem (Andrew Lewis) started playing in the 1920's, but for some reason did not play in the 80's, or 90's. They did meet in 2014 and 2017 with Salem winning on both occasions. I am super intrigued by this match-up and for some reason believe GW Danville has the potential to make a game out of it. @RKE Fan, made some excellent points, so I will not rehash them. I will say that GW has the weapons to exploit some of the very few weaknesses a traditionally disciplined Salem defense has. These are just some observations, but they have to be well executed and at the right time to work. Most of these rare weaknesses are a testament to fantastic coaching, because the players do what they are supposed to do and its just a chink in the armor of the defense they play. Its a long shot to be sure.

Offense:

1. Hairston (QB) must force the Salem linebackers to respect his ability to run. Using a read option qb draw or dive right between the center and guards will keep them from keying on Graves. This works, because of Salem's awesome discipline. They are patient and do not overreact. Sometimes you can catch them on their heels and get right through the middle. This works really well in a no back set. Spread them out and get a 1 v 1 look in the middle.

2. If Graves is healthy his size and strength can be a factor. Running between the tackles on normal passing downs can free him up. Again Salem's discipline and technique leaves a little opportunity. The outside backers will move to cover the flanks perfectly and that leaves the middle backer who often steps up one on one with Graves. If he can beat him he will give the defensive backs fits trying to bring him down.

3. Double moves. GW has great speed at the wide receiver position and Salem is very good at playing the pass in front of them. Their db's are very aggressive to the ball. I do believe the Salem defensive backs have cleaned things up (deep balls), but if you spread them out and force them to play 1 v 1 you can beat them with a double move. RKE Fan kind of said this, but a straight fly, with the best athlete wins mentality may be a good option a couple times during the game. Especially, on first down.

4. Skinny Post: When you go to a 4 or 5 receiver set Salem's safety always pinches to the side with the most receivers. You can put a fast receiver in the slot (linebacker coverage) and run a skinny post. If the safety is late your good.

Defense:

1. No disrespect here, but GW does not tackle well and if they struggle Salem will run the ball for days. I have to agree with RKE Fan and say bring a safety up or use an extra linebacker. Play one on one with their receivers and tight end. The only danger here is letting the Spartan backs get outside. Need to also be aware of the misdirection screen. It killed Dinwiddie twice in two years (ugh). If Salem beats GW with the pass oh well.

Salem just needs to be Salem. Run, run, and run some more. No need to get tricky!

All of this doesn't mean a hill of beans if the right GW team doesn't show up. The team I saw was very disciplined, never quit and was scary fast. With all this being said I still don't believe GW can beat Salem at home, but it has potential to be closer than the past two meetings. Wish I could see this one. Good luck to two good teams.

I agree with all of this. I am very pleased with the team that Salem is becoming and they just keep getting better and better.
It seems to me that Salem does this every year... they improve throughout the year and people tend to underestimate them. I won't make that mistake, wouldn't surprise me if they win it all.

It seems to me that Salem does this every year... they improve throughout the year and people tend to underestimate them. I won't make that mistake, wouldn't surprise me if they win it all.
The Region 4 is very competitive this year as a whole. It’s going to be a fun finish.

Reactions: VolNation85
How good is GWD's JV team?
They went as far as Jeb Byrnes took them. I make the argument that Jeb could’ve been the varsity QB, but he is young but has looked very impressive on the few plays he’s been in on varsity. He and George White (Glass) are going to be elite QBs in the state of Virginia. Jeb’s brother Hunter was the 4A West Offensive Player of the Year in 2014 and led GW to a 12-1 record, they lost to Salem. Jeb IMO will be just as good as Hunter. He makes the smart play, he’s quick and has a very strong arm.

Reactions: lyhsports
Just my opinion but, the game will turn on who wins the line battle. Both have enough skill kids to be potent(GW probably has the slight speed advantage)but, the team that controls the line of scrimmage will be playing down hill. For GW to make this a tight game they will have to get the best effort they have had all year long from both their offensive and defensive lines. If both GW and Salem get the normal levels of play from their lines that they got in the regular season I think Salem wins by 2 TD's.

They went as far as Jeb Byrnes took them. I make the argument that Jeb could’ve been the varsity QB, but he is young but has looked very impressive on the few plays he’s been in on varsity. He and George White (Glass) are going to be elite QBs in the state of Virginia. Jeb’s brother Hunter was the 4A West Offensive Player of the Year in 2014 and led GW to a 12-1 record, they lost to Salem. Jeb IMO will be just as good as Hunter. He makes the smart play, he’s quick and has a very strong arm.
One man show, huh.... Our JV went 8-2. Some of those guys were pulled up. Could make a difference.

One man show, huh.... Our JV went 8-2. Some of those guys were pulled up. Could make a difference.
Not sure if it was a one man show but Jeb definitely stood out talent wise. GW usually has a solid JV team. This year Halifax won the district championship.

I am not sure that Salem does this every year but they are in the hunt most years and they are consistent. Salem was in the playoffs many years and were close but were never over the top until they won in 1996. Then in 1998,1999,2000 they won three straight. In 2004 and 2005 they won two straight, Maghenbauers 1st two years, then in 2015,2016 and 2017 three more. There were other years that we were capable but just did not execute at the right time. That is what it comes down to is execution and planning. That is why there are surprises every year.

The odds of any of the kids that got pulled up from being exclusive JV players to being contributors during the playoffs is extremely slim and would take several injuries. I feel like I had this exact same conversation with a Salem fan as we were getting into the playoffs last year.

Reactions: mike salem
I thought Salem JV went 6-2? For some reason Northside and Hidden Valley did not want to play them. Any coach that cancels a JV game is a coward in my book.
Northside just didn't have enough players to continue. They only had about 14 kids on the team when I saw them earlier in the season and apparently had a few injuries and quitters after that. They also canceled their game against Hidden Valley for sure and I don't think they played any more games the rest of the year. Hidden Valley had to cancel a few games during the season and also had very low numbers. The game with Salem originally got canceled due to weather and rescheduled for the following Monday but a lot of the JV kids ended up playing a good portion of the second half of the varsity game Friday during the blowout and they felt like it would be tough for them to play Friday and then turn around and play on Monday and Thursday of the next week.

.... lot of the JV kids ended up playing a good portion of the second half of the varsity game Friday during the blowout and they felt like it would be tough for them to play Friday and then turn around and play on Monday and Thursday of the next week.
From which team?

Salem's JV had 30 something JV kids not dressed for the HV game. Spartans were game. Spartans had no part of backing out of the game. You do not know of what you speak.

I did not say they had any part of backing out of the game. You do not know of what you read.

Reactions: WP02alum
GW JV went 8-2 should have been undefeated
Patrick County did not have enough JV players
To play GW so GW played Reidsville instead
During the first Quarter of the Reidsville game
QB Jeb Burns went down in the same Quarter
GW lost their top two RB’s one to a broken hand
And the other to a broken Arm. Jeb did not play
Against Halifax so GW has to play their top WR
At QB so this effected the Reidsville and Halifax
Games. Jeb came back after Halifax and the moved the middle school RB up and won their last two games the Middle School won the District
And The JV was second to Halifax

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Well, you did. No worries, though. Would the VHSL let SHS JV scrimmage GW before the game on Friday?
Well, I didn't. I said "both" in reference to both JV teams having players play in the varsity game on Friday. Your question in relationship to my quote was unclear.

As for playing a JV game/scrimmage this week, that would be impossible. Salem's JV players that haven't got called up to dress for varsity have already turned in their equipment. I would imagine that GW is in the same situation.

I find it interesting that very little has been said on this board by GW fans. I sense a different philosophy this year. Instead of a lot of trash talk before the game, it looks like GW fans are taking the silent killers line. I kind of miss the Old bantering. I've said all year that this Salem team is not 2014,15,16,17. They have obvious weaknesses. However, credit should be given to the coaches and players for their steady improvement. This will probably be a very close game decided by turnovers and penalties.

By the way. Didn't I win a bet last year concerning the VCU Rams basketball and the National Champions Virginia Cavaliers?

I find it interesting that very little has been said on this board by GW fans. I sense a different philosophy this year. Instead of a lot of trash talk before the game, it looks like GW fans are taking the silent killers line. I kind of miss the Old bantering. I've said all year that this Salem team is not 2014,15,16,17. They have obvious weaknesses. However, credit should be given to the coaches and players for their steady improvement. This will probably be a very close game decided by turnovers and penalties.

By the way. Didn't I win a bet last year concerning the VCU Rams basketball and the National Champions Virginia Cavaliers?
I’ve been vocal about not talking trash this year. I think we’ve all learned our lessons especially not to poke a sleeping beast called the Salem Spartans. We’ve not performed well against the Spartans and we’ve had a few Salem fans come at our players and coaches, which was a result of our bantering. I’ve built some very close relationships with our players and I don’t want any negative backlash on them because of us on this message board. I personally think GW is in great shape for tomorrow. If it comes down to special teams (a FG or PAT) that is my biggest worry as that sealed our fate against Pulaski last year.

Hahaha! The Cavs played one hell of a tournament last year and are looking just as dangerous this year. I wasn’t on the board last year when the Rams and Cavs played, but I attended the game and got stuck on 64 in the winter storm. Rams played the Cavs tough but Tony Bennett is the best coach in College Basketball. Rams and Cavs are both Sweet 16 teams this year.

Reactions: Lewis918777
I find it interesting that very little has been said on this board by GW fans. I sense a different philosophy this year. Instead of a lot of trash talk before the game, it looks like GW fans are taking the silent killers line. I kind of miss the Old bantering. I've said all year that this Salem team is not 2014,15,16,17. They have obvious weaknesses."

Alabama this year is not as strong as 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, but you still know it's gonna take a HELL of an effort to get the W. Will still need to play our best game of the year to get it done.

Also, in 2017 GW was 10-1 coming into the Salem game and really could have been 11-0 if not for the injury bug one game. GW fans were much more confident that year and making a lot of noise. This year, after the second half we had against Bassett, and the bad game against Magna Vista, everyone is in wait and see mode.

Hopefully there will be support tomorrow from GW. They cancelled the fan bus. My only hope is gas is CHEAP in Danville and many people are just going to drive up. The crowd on our side won’t look anything like 2014, sadly.

@iDidntGetBanned, refresh my memory, and this is no way near a shot or anything, just trying to remember the story.

You seem very close to the GW players (as stated), and a huge GW fan. But didn't you say you went to another school (Halifax maybe?) and teach at Varina?

Just trying the story behind it

@iDidntGetBanned, refresh my memory, and this is no way near a shot or anything, just trying to remember the story.

You seem very close to the GW players (as stated), and a huge GW fan. But didn't you say you went to another school (Halifax maybe?) and teach at Varina?

Just trying the story behind it
I worked at Varina a few years back while I completed my graduate degree. I’ve been at a couple of schools in Richmond/Henrico for practicum/internships/service learning & I decided to stay here for my profession. My Twitter page has helped me form some great working relationships with these kids from Southside VA. I just give them the same resources I give my kids at school.. SAT resources, high school credit advice, important deadlines and events to attend. It’s all about setting these kids up for success, my name isn’t labeled anywhere cause I don’t want any credit for ANYTHING!

Alabama this year is not as strong as 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, but you still know it's gonna take a HELL of an effort to get the W. Will still need to play our best game of the year to get it done.

Also, in 2017 GW was 10-1 coming into the Salem game and really could have been 11-0 if not for the injury bug one game. GW fans were much more confident that year and making a lot of noise. This year, after the second half we had against Bassett, and the bad game against Magna Vista, everyone is in wait and see mode.
Are the Eagles at full strength for Salem or are they still struggling with injuries?

I worked at Varina a few years back while I completed my graduate degree. I’ve been at a couple of schools in Richmond/Henrico for practicum/internships/service learning & I decided to stay here for my profession. My Twitter page has helped me form some great working relationships with these kids from Southside VA. I just give them the same resources I give my kids at school.. SAT resources, high school credit advice, important deadlines and events to attend. It’s all about setting these kids up for success, my name isn’t labeled anywhere cause I don’t want any credit for ANYTHING!

What I remember, and I could certainly be wrong, was something about going to a different school. So how did you get to having such a love for GW? Not in a bad way. Was it while you were in HS or after and being "stationed" there so to speak?

What I remember, and I could certainly be wrong, was something about going to a different school. So how did you get to having such a love for GW? Not in a bad way. Was it while you were in HS or after and being "stationed" there so to speak?
I was born and raised in Danville and my dad, who graduated from GW, has been taking me to GW games since I was 4 (1998 season). I attended Danville Public Schools from Kindergarten thru 8th grade so I knew mostly all of the players Class of 2008 to Class of 2016 on a personal level. Danville is a pretty rough place to be right now. It’s nothing like it was when I was growing up there. Though I have no intentions of working there (for A LOT of reasons), that hasn’t stopped me from advocating and supporting my hometown student athletes. My organization is to give back to the communities of Halifax, Danville/Pittsylvania County, Martinsville/Henry County and Patrick County. Those kids don’t know it, but they’ve made me a better man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT