ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads 24 Christiansburg 21 Final

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
RH kicks a 25 yd fg to win it after trailing 21-7 at the half.

As mentioned above, this one came down to the final play of the game. Kicker Zac Brooks came into the game a perfect 15-15 on PATs and had already added three more in this game, but he had never kicked a field goal in his life. After tonight, we can assume he will remember his first for quite some time.

As mentioned also, the Gladiators trailed this one at the half 21-7. In fact, C'burg had dominated the second quarter thoroughly, scoring all their points in that period and the average person would have expected them to keep pouring it on in the second half and maintain their unbeaten record.

But Riverheads made phenomenal defensive adjustments at halftime and held the Demons to three and out on their first two possessions. The Gladiators then proceeded to move down the field and score after both those stops to tie the game at 21-21. However, there was still plenty of time left (7 minutes give or take) and each team had one last hurrah left.

C'burg took the kickoff and seemed poised to run the clock as efficiently as possible and score what they hoped would be a winning TD. They moved into the red zone and at one point even stood and watched the play clock before calling a time out.

But Riverheads was still playing great defense and forced them into a fourth down situation. Facing 4th and about 5 from around the RHS 23, the QB went for the kill in the end zone and sophomore Brody Phillips intercepted it.

That gave the Gladiators their last chance and they took full advantage, getting several key running plays (In fact if Riverheads completed a pass tonight I don't remember it) as they moved steadily downfield for the third time in the half. They too used their time outs wisely, saving the last one for the field goal attempt. Cburg still had one as well and used it to ice the kicker, but to no avail as he calmly nailed it.

As noted, the key story line tonight was the long-awaited return of Cayden Cook-Cash. He did indeed play but primarily alternated carries with the four or five man rotation that the Gladiators had been using during his absence. CCC had some impressive carries in which he dragged defenders with him and refused to go down, and he scored his first touchdown of the season, but by far the best running back on the field tonight for the Big Red was sophomore Jonathan Talbott. You had to wonder if C'burg was perhaps just not prepared for how good he turned out to be.

In fact he had the carry that gave Riverheads its early dose of confidence and helped them realize that they could win this game, even after C'burg appeared to have taken charge of it. In that first quarter, on the Gladiators' opening drive, he skirted around right end, got to the corner and looked like he might go the distance but he was pulled down around the 20. A few plays later, QB Levi Dunlap scored on a sneak to give RHS a surprising 7-0 lead just three minutes into the game.

When the Demon offense took the field, Gladiator fans at least temporarily thought they were playing Wilson again as the visitors had some fumble-itis issues. (Wilson by the way recovered from theirs tonight and handed Staunton a surprising 14-7 loss.)

After moving into RHS territory on their first drive of the game, the Demons coughed it up and Riverheads recovered. Later they fumbled again but recovered it themselves. Fumble number three happened on the PAT attempt after their first score, which caused them to fail to convert and for the moment Riverheads led 7-6.

C'burg quickly calmed down and dominated the rest of the first half, scoring almost with ease on their next two possessions. At the break it looked as if the Gladiators could be in for a rough second half and possibly even a blow out loss.

But the RHS coaching staff made those incredible adjustments and other than the Demons' final possession that led to the Phillips interception, they did nothing in the second half. Riverheads by contrast had three awesome ball-control drives and according to the radio guys, all three of them involved double-digit plays.

In fact, I would not be surprised to hear that Riverheads held the ball for as much as 20 of the final 24 minutes. Also if the Gladiators had a turnover tonight, I don't remember it, which was remarkable because it was a hard-hitting game.

So a huge victory for the Big Red in a game where some folks did not give them a chance and where at times they did indeed looked over-matched. But whatever the coaches said in the locker room got the job done because Riverheads clearly stole the momentum and completely turned this one around.

With CCC back healthy and the other backs still doing their job (Austin Roberts had the key run in the final seconds to put them into field goal range by the way) the Gladiators have their mojo back and it looks like it will be a wild ride to the finish!

It was an awesome game and one that was made a tad sweeter having all the little league kids there as well. They will remember that game for a few minutes……….

Reactions: Bama1985
I've said it for years now, Riverheads is second to none in their halftime adjustments. I see that has not changed.

This is the kind of game we as fans want to see. Not whipping the snot out of D1 teams.

Bravo Riverheads. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Bama1985 and TS69
I rewatched the game and I was surprised at a few things.
First off in person the twin towers that C’burg have are impressive but they weren’t as impactful as I thought rewatching. Early they were being heard from but the undersized Riverheads line handled them fairly well overall. I don’t want to seem like I am down on them because I do feel against a more traditional offense with less clutter in the middle that they would have faired even better. And guys they are really big, like a head taller than anyone else on the field with some bulk.

Second was the team speed wasn’t as much of a separation as I anticipated. They definitely have speed but other than #4 just doing what he does running inside and breaking a few, #10 on any kicking type returns was the scariest player in space. His speed was deceptive because he doesn’t appear to have to put a lot of effort to be that fast. Amazing talent from several others as well on the Demoms squad.

Third is as much as we were all glad to see CCC back in action, Roberts and Talbot have earned their stripes running the football. Both are Sophomores so we should have them on the field for several more years along with a few other backs that platoon in flawlessly.

Lastly was the in game adjustments that @longtimerhsfan mentioned by Riverheads. 17 unanswered speaks to both sides of the ball tweaking little things. It’s been a question in some people’s mind if this staff could adapt and make these type of adjustments without Casto. With all due respect to Coach Casto he left the Ferrari in good hands. Although most all of these coaches had been on staff for a while, this second year removed is showing that they really do have things in hand.

Reactions: Bama1985
Impressive win by Riverheads and adding multiple talented backs to pair up with CCC should make 2A teams shiver.

Heard the stripes played a big roll in the Wilson/Staunton game. #20 for Staunton had 3 long td runs called back and I believe 4 overall Staunton tds called back.

Fort is starting to heat up as is Draft. Going to be an exciting remainder to the regular season in the Shenandoah. Season has that feel of anyone truly could win on any given night. Even Waynesboro is showing some fight.

RedPrideNation; Thanks for your additional analysis. Roberts by the way is a junior, not a sophomore. But that means we will have him next year, along with Talbott and I can think of two backs on the JV team that are going to have nice careers. The varsity QB also has one more year. So even though CCC will go on hopefully to bigger and better things next year, the cupboard will not be bare by any stretch. The famed Big Red running game will be back in full force.

Congrats to Big Red Coaches , players and even the fans ! Great adjustments at the half and WOW , the plays were so perfectly called , the D could not keep up with the ball . I think we need more Class 3 teams on the schedule . Maybe a couple Class 4 teams . Christiansburg would be a lot better if they did not play so many cup cakes in SWVA !

Reactions: GLADIATOR.BEAVER
Congrats to Big Red Coaches , players and even the fans ! Great adjustments at the half and WOW , the plays were so perfectly called , the D could not keep up with the ball . I think we need more Class 3 teams on the schedule . Maybe a couple Class 4 teams . Christiansburg would be a lot better if they did not play so many cup cakes in SWVA !
Especially Salem, William Byrd, and Patrick Henry of Roanoke. Just a bunch of "cupcakes."

Last edited:
Is Christiansburg better than they were last year? I remember Radford played an incredible game to beat them at the halfway point of the season and Cburg went all the way to the 3A state semi-finals. Radford went on to fizzle in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Riverheads clearly played a great game but danger in 2A Region C/D awaits.

Last edited:
Is Christiansburg better than they were last year? I remember Radford played an incredible game to beat them at the halfway point of the season and Cburg went all the way to the 3A state finals. Radford went on to fizzle in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Riverheads clearly played a great game but danger in 2A Region C/D awaits.
Christiansburg got knocked out by Heritage in the Semis.

According to Calpreps predictions, yes they are. 2023 Christiansburg beats 2022 Christiansburg by 7 points based on their pick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT