ADVERTISEMENT

Rodgers - 29 South

deuce2hublue

VaPreps Rookie
Mar 2, 2010
As speculated on this board quite a few times, Rodgers from Tunstall, who was the most valuable player from year's squad, heads south to Durham to finish out his high school basketball career. Rumble young man rumble.

Actually 86 South 😂 (Know I had to get you Deuece)…But yeah they’ve lost two very good players in Rogers and Graves in the past 2 years. Until they get serious about sports as they are their academics at Tunstall, they will have trouble keeping their better players. Can’t play Gretna, Chatham, and Dan River 2x out of district and expect kids who are serious about reaching the next level to play for you. They also had opportunities to play in team camps against the likes of Cave Spring and chose to play in low level AAU tournaments and sell fish plates for “Team Amore”. Tunstall had serious potential. I had even heard ramblings about Graves coming back & Josh Lewis from Westover coming. That team would’ve definitely been a top 4 Class 3 team. It’s a what could’ve been game now. GW and Martinsville are still the Piedmont’s premier teams in terms of competing in the Region and State. Tunstall will be good but are nowhere near Cave Spring or Northside. IMO, Tunstall beating GW was their championship. They plateaued after that and was never the same team..

Reactions: Fido429
I spoke to a member of the Tunstall athletic program and they stated Southern Durham is on the same level as BY.. Sour grapes. Rogers will be playing in the most competitive classification in NC. He’ll get a crack at a possible nationally ranked West Charlotte team in March, Wilson Prep (full of D1 talent) in a major NC showcase, Durham Hillside (should be one of the better teams in the 919), Northwood (led by 4 star Drake Powell, UNC offer), play in the John Wall Invitational (BEST high school tournament in America), and play alongside possible 5 star Jackson Keith at Southern Durham. Credit to D’s father for setting him up for success. D is going to flourish playing the best of the best.

Bo Knows? By the post you made I would say “Not Much”. I was in the inner circle of gossip talks on this board so I know where this comment comes from. Since it has a lot of untruths, a lot of digs at the Tunstall program and coach I took it upon myself to help you know Bo!
The first thing is Tunstall has sour grape because Rogers transferred, thus said South Durham was similar to BY. The entire program congratulated him, his dad and hasn’t mentioned any negative towards the situation. The coach has a saying he got from his mentor Coach Harry Johnson “We want you but we don’t need anyone”! South Durham is a smaller school in NC the 2A/3A class, that is very similar to BY (I don’t know who you talk to but that is accurate). While you talked about the highlights of their schedule while trashing Tunstall schedule (maybe you should research the rest of the schedule). Truth is Mecklenburg moved into the district earlier taking up two additional games while PC didn’t leave. Now I person don’t like the county rule that forces Tunstall to play the county schools twice either. But the coach tried everything he could. Cave Springs said at the region meeting they would play but when the scheduling time came had to decline (for whatever reason). Tunstall was entering the Christmas Northside Tournament (3 game minimum) but couldn’t because they only had 2 games available. Now let’s move on the the other stuff. Tunstall didn’t promote Rogers right? 🤔 Rogers was the POY a lot because of the coach’s coaching, schemes and promotion. The other candidate was “The Trojan Man of the Year” Jamarcus Brown which led the team in scoring, rebounding and blocks! Now you really hurt our feelings that you don’t like our fish plates but that’s how our AAU funded things so NO PARENT HAD TO PAY A DIME (SOUNDS LIKE A DAMN GOOD PROGRAM TO ME)! You called it low level AAU tounments? Amore won 90% of their tournaments this summer and only participated in one non Big Shots, Phenom, Prep Hoops event (that was the first one of the summer). Amore carried 14 and 15 yr old players to and won 16 U NCAA Live Big Shots Boo Williams, 16U NCAA Live Phenom, 16U NCAA Live Big Shots Myrtle Beach, 16U NCAA Live Big Shots Greensboro and 16U Prep Hoops A-Town Showdown (winning 7 out of 9 tournaments WITHOUT ROGERS). Now to Tunstall beating GW was the Super Bowl and they weren’t the same? Did you know Tunstall’s starting Center couldn’t practice almost the entire final month of the season (but still tried to play in two of those games). While their starting PG played with a sprained joint in his shoulder that prevented him from shooting and doing his normal driving with physicality. Since you know explained losing two starters with a limited 7 man rotation? The crazy thing to me is how you are trashing a program that went from nothing to Co District Champs in 1 year? That sounds like sour grapes to me! Lastly to the transfers and potential players leaving/coming to Tunstall? Both Graves parents were working in Winston so it made all the since in the world to transfer (plus I’m sure he would’ve said if his dad would’ve got the boys coaching job). The Rogers situation I won’t speak on let’s just say you have no clue about other dynamics that occurred. Lastly your discounting a team that return what could been the District POY Jamarcus Brown (last years leader in Scoring, Rebound, and BLK avg), 2 other all district players in Pool and Edmonds (some hidden secrets too). A coach that is obviously great at the development of young players? Yea okay! Which side here is really the one with sour grapes???? Tunstall did nothing wrong to you nor Rogers so “Know The Truth”!

• Haha
Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Come on Coach. Can tell it’s you by this emotional response. You could’ve said that on your black mamba account.

Last edited:
Fact is, Tunstall lost their heart and soul of the team. A kid that has a 3.5 GPA, the Piedmont District Player of the Year, the kid who put Tunstall back on the map and most importantly, a leader.. You don’t have to answer cause you know you don’t have it, but who’s gonna step into that leadership role? Beat your chest playing down to the level of competition, make a lot of noise from beating Chatham and Gretna by 50 and then get embarrassed by a decent team when it matters. Your Danville mindset is so shallow. You get beat by a terrible Abingdon who loses to the same team you claim to “be ducking” by 40. Your “star” dominating 15U? Come on mane. If you was a real coach, you’d be encouraging him to play for Loaded or Boo for real exposure. Stay humble.

No emotion, just stating fact to defend the onslaught against the Tunstall program. The response just clear up all the negativity and falsehoods in the previous comments about Tunstall Basketball. Last summer, there were similar digs, doubt and hype about a transfer and our program shut them up until injuries derailed a great season (losing 5 games by a totally of 14 pts) in the first year (and people on here trashing?). Nah Tunstall puts in work! With or without the players that transfer Tunstall will be and continue to be the district cream of the crop (and reach deeper each year) until their coach leaves! Let again like last summer revisit this conversation bro. Thanks for the chat, ttyl‼️ #ItsJustSomethingAboutThatRed #SouthsideVa

You keep trying to make this about Rogers? Why? We don’t talk about players that aren’t with us. But now you are being personally disrespectful so I’ll bow out respectfully. We play who we have to play, that’s no ducking (and never said that anyway) and if you read correctly it’s clear explained. But you apart of the Roger hype club so I guess you have to have/say something against a good program because he doesn’t play for Tunstall anymore. Really immature and it’s no reason to continue this conversation. You can keep up with the negativity we will keep doing what we do. Wish all parties nothing be success!

Fact is, Tunstall lost their heart and soul of the team. A kid that has a 3.5 GPA, the Piedmont District Player of the Year, the kid who put Tunstall back on the map and most importantly, a leader.. You don’t have to answer cause you know you don’t have it, but who’s gonna step into that leadership role? Beat your chest playing down to the level of competition, make a lot of noise from beating Chatham and Gretna by 50 and then get embarrassed by a decent team when it matters. Your Danville mindset is so shallow. You get beat by a terrible Abingdon who loses to the same team you claim to “be ducking” by 40. Your “star” dominating 15U? Come on mane. If you was a real coach, you’d be encouraging him to play for Loaded or Boo for real exposure. Stay humble.

I’ve been around the Tunstall program for a very long time. To go from “nothing” to competing for the district title was great in 2006 when that mattered and basketball in Southside was tops in the state of Virginia. Hoops in Southside aren’t even a shell of what it used to be & Tunstall was by far the best team in Southside VA last year. I get they were young, but there was no reason that that team should have played down to the level of competition like they did. Green Run was well coached, Hargrave was tough, and GW is GW but they wasn’t on Tunstall’s level. I got 3 losses max. That win in Dry Fork was Tunstall’s highlight of the year and shows just how much the further the culture has to improve if they want to be considered a real threat in the region. The weak schedule has a lot to do with them underachieving. Until those kids are used to playing against teams like Cave Spring, Fleming, Reidsville, Northside, etc they will continue to underachieve. You know it. Coach Johnson would never have played any of those cupcakes that Tunstall plays out of district. Advocate for those kids and the program.

To say I’m apart of the “Roger’s’ Hype Club” is pretty damning for his former head coach to say. You preach and rant on Facebook about how you love and support your former players. Your statement was very tasteless, classless and proves the sour grapes I speak of. I’m not apart of the Rogers Hype Club because there’s no hype. There’s no hype with Jamarcus, there’s no hype with JRock or J Graves. Those kids can play. What it is hype in is the dreams you’re selling those kids and those parents.

Rogers was the best player on the team and Brown led him by .1 points a game. You definitely left Brown in for garbage time to get dunks and pad his highlights against weaker teams like Patrick, Gretna and Chatham. Brown should be playing on a real circuit instead of playing in 15U tournaments against those low level AAU teams your Amore team plays. Brown’s potential is being wasted and the dreams you’ve sold the kid has overpowered his rationale to even accept positive feedback and constructive criticism.

Lastly, D will be fine and the Southern Durham program is on a level that no team in the area has been on since Coach Carter was coaching at GW. They just sent Ricky Council IV to Wichita and he had a crazy good year and transferred to Arkansas where he’ll be a starter on the deepest team in College Basketball. D will share the backcourt with Jackson Keith who will have the UNC, Duke and other major offers soon. I literally posted their opponents on the top of this thread and still wondering how you can compare that to BY if it isn’t sour grapes. Durham has also been the hotbed of players drafted and playing major college ball. Josh Hall, Trey Murphy, Bobby Pettiford at Kansas, Jonas Aidoo at Tennessee, Ricky Council at Arkasas. All in the past 3 years.

Southern Durham had UVA, ECU, NCCU at practice over the last 40 hours and will have Duke in the building watching practice next week. TOUGH for a program on the same level as Bartlett Yancey. It is my hope to see all of the local kids get that kind of exposure.

Bo Knows? By the post you made I would say “Not Much”. I was in the inner circle of gossip talks on this board so I know where this comment comes from. Since it has a lot of untruths, a lot of digs at the Tunstall program and coach I took it upon myself to help you know Bo!
The first thing is Tunstall has sour grape because Rogers transferred, thus said South Durham was similar to BY. The entire program congratulated him, his dad and hasn’t mentioned any negative towards the situation. The coach has a saying he got from his mentor Coach Harry Johnson “We want you but we don’t need anyone”! South Durham is a smaller school in NC the 2A/3A class, that is very similar to BY (I don’t know who you talk to but that is accurate). While you talked about the highlights of their schedule while trashing Tunstall schedule (maybe you should research the rest of the schedule). Truth is Mecklenburg moved into the district earlier taking up two additional games while PC didn’t leave. Now I person don’t like the county rule that forces Tunstall to play the county schools twice either. But the coach tried everything he could. Cave Springs said at the region meeting they would play but when the scheduling time came had to decline (for whatever reason). Tunstall was entering the Christmas Northside Tournament (3 game minimum) but couldn’t because they only had 2 games available. Now let’s move on the the other stuff. Tunstall didn’t promote Rogers right? 🤔 Rogers was the POY a lot because of the coach’s coaching, schemes and promotion. The other candidate was “The Trojan Man of the Year” Jamarcus Brown which led the team in scoring, rebounding and blocks! Now you really hurt our feelings that you don’t like our fish plates but that’s how our AAU funded things so NO PARENT HAD TO PAY A DIME (SOUNDS LIKE A DAMN GOOD PROGRAM TO ME)! You called it low level AAU tounments? Amore won 90% of their tournaments this summer and only participated in one non Big Shots, Phenom, Prep Hoops event (that was the first one of the summer). Amore carried 14 and 15 yr old players to and won 16 U NCAA Live Big Shots Boo Williams, 16U NCAA Live Phenom, 16U NCAA Live Big Shots Myrtle Beach, 16U NCAA Live Big Shots Greensboro and 16U Prep Hoops A-Town Showdown (winning 7 out of 9 tournaments WITHOUT ROGERS). Now to Tunstall beating GW was the Super Bowl and they weren’t the same? Did you know Tunstall’s starting Center couldn’t practice almost the entire final month of the season (but still tried to play in two of those games). While their starting PG played with a sprained joint in his shoulder that prevented him from shooting and doing his normal driving with physicality. Since you know explained losing two starters with a limited 7 man rotation? The crazy thing to me is how you are trashing a program that went from nothing to Co District Champs in 1 year? That sounds like sour grapes to me! Lastly to the transfers and potential players leaving/coming to Tunstall? Both Graves parents were working in Winston so it made all the since in the world to transfer (plus I’m sure he would’ve said if his dad would’ve got the boys coaching job). The Rogers situation I won’t speak on let’s just say you have no clue about other dynamics that occurred. Lastly your discounting a team that return what could been the District POY Jamarcus Brown (last years leader in Scoring, Rebound, and BLK avg), 2 other all district players in Pool and Edmonds (some hidden secrets too). A coach that is obviously great at the development of young players? Yea okay! Which side here is really the one with sour grapes???? Tunstall did nothing wrong to you nor Rogers so “Know The Truth”!
“sOuThErN dURHam Is sImILar tO BY 🤪” You sound ridiculous and certainly don’t know what you’re talking about.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT