ADVERTISEMENT

Salem 38. Amherst 24. Final

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Salem gets down 24 13 at half then outscores Amherst 25 0. Great effort by Amherst. Salem must improve. Ramsey did not play

Salem gets down 24 13 at half then outscores Amherst 25 0. Great effort by Amherst. Salem must improve. Ramsey did not play
I was proud of Amherst to come out the way they did. Having lost 26 seniors, I don't think no one believed that Amherst would have been ahead at halftime against the state champs. The turnover on the 5 yard line changed the game in my opinion. Amherst also couldn't defend the pass. Salem QB is really good

Reactions: mbonape1
I was proud of Amherst to come out the way they did. Having lost 26 seniors, I don't think no one believed that Amherst would have been ahead at halftime against the state champs. The turnover on the 5 yard line changed the game in my opinion. Amherst also couldn't defend the pass. Salem QB is really good
You are right wikki, turnover at the 5 was a killer for Amherst. Great effort by the Lancers.

Reactions: wikki
Gladden will improve as the season goes on and not having Ramsey (out for medical not discipline) obviously hurts. D manned up big time, giving up 24 in the first half and 0 in the second. Team came together and did what they knew had to be done. Amherst is a good team for sure, will be an interesting Seminole race this year with them, Heritage, Brookville, and maybe LCA.

Viante Tucker is the best WR Salem's ever had, zero problem saying that now. Shows up big when the team needs him most, speed to burn, and his stone hands that used to pop up when he was young have been replaced by velcro mitts that haul in anything even close. That INT-turned-TD was wild.

Reactions: SpartanForce
Tucker: 5 receptions for 231 yards and 2 TDs.

That's freaking nuts.

Tucker also now has the career receptions mark at Salem after tonight. He already has career yardage and TD records. (and I'd guess YPC since he's around 20 YPC for his career). He came up 13 yards short of the single season yards mark last year (1003 for Tucker) but he just knocked out nearly a quarter of what he needs in one game so that seems likely to fall as well.

Last edited:
Also Nate Craft has a tremendous leg. Quite a few touchbacks tonight including one that was backed up from an offsides penalty on Salem that still went 5 yards deep in the EZ and a FG from 30 or so that would have been good from 45 and he absolutely boomed one of Salem's two punts on the night. Beckley had doubled as Salem's punter the past two seasons so this is new to Nate but he'll be just fine it seems. Huge weapon for Salem.

Gladden will improve as the season goes on and not having Ramsey (out for medical not discipline) obviously hurts. D manned up big time, giving up 24 in the first half and 0 in the second. Team came together and did what they knew had to be done. Amherst is a good team for sure, will be an interesting Seminole race this year with them, Heritage, Brookville, and maybe LCA.

Viante Tucker is the best WR Salem's ever had, zero problem saying that now. Shows up big when the team needs him most, speed to burn, and his stone hands that used to pop up when he was young have been replaced by velcro mitts that haul in anything even close. That INT-turned-TD was wild.

Ramsey sitting 3 games for medical reasons?

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Tucker: 5 receptions for 231 yards and 2 TDs.

That's freaking nuts.

Tucker also now has the career receptions mark at Salem after tonight. He already has career yardage and TD records. (and I'd guess YPC since he's around 20 YPC for his career). He came up 13 yards short of the single season yards mark last year (1003 for Tucker) but he just knocked out nearly a quarter of what he needs in one game so that seems likely to fall as well.
Is Tucker #4. Amherst should have defended him better

LB play and the OL struggled for a good part of the night for Salem... Amherst was just better up front on both sides of the ball. Good fight by the team to pick up the win but that has to improve if this team wants to go far.

Last edited:
I had Salem by two tds. Didn't surprise me. I didn't think Salem would be down two scores at half

I had Salem by two tds. Didn't surprise me. I didn't think Salem would be down two scores at half
Me either and I think that turnover on the 5 yard line was the turning point. Amherst needs to work on defending the pass.

Amherst is very good up front on both sides of the ball. They surprisingly do not have a lot of speed/game-changing athletes at skill positions and in the secondary this year.

I think they are just inexperienced in the skill positions. They don't seem to have nearly the speed and sheer number of game changers as last year. It's hard to replace 28 Sr's, but they have 23 Sr's this year and a lot of size upfront. They will simply wear down a lot of opponents by just pounding the rock with Turner, Megginson, and Ross.

The reason Amherst can't defend pass is because their CB and Safety is their starting linebackers.Amherst doesn't have linebackers thats ready right now.I mention 2 years ago that those 2 transfers they loss will hurt for next couple of years.Amherst loss their starting qb and rb and both was linebackers in back to back seasons.Very good game by Amherst verus best team in State.

I think they are just inexperienced in the skill positions. They don't seem to have nearly the speed and sheer number of game changers as last year. It's hard to replace 28 Sr's, but they have 23 Sr's this year and a lot of size upfront. They will simply wear down a lot of opponents by just pounding the rock with Turner, Megginson, and Ross.
Not sure Ross will be starting in a few games.

The reason Amherst can't defend pass is because their CB and Safety is their starting linebackers.Amherst doesn't have linebackers thats ready right now.I mention 2 years ago that those 2 transfers they loss will hurt for next couple of years.Amherst loss their starting qb and rb and both was linebackers in back to back seasons.Very good game by Amherst verus best team in State.
Where did they transfer to?

Never heard that, I thought one transferred to Heritage. I heard a Heritage player transferred to Amherst
Spencer left right before his Freshman season.I'm tryng to find you video of Lorenzo also,I heard he is doing his thing in Kentucky.

Spencer left right before his Freshman season.I'm tryng to find you video of Lorenzo also,I heard he is doing his thing in Kentucky.
At least they didn't transfer to another local school

Did Tucker and Gladden set Salem single game records for receiving and passing yards? If not, they had to be close.

Did Tucker and Gladden set Salem single game records for receiving and passing yards? If not, they had to be close.
Gladden may not have set a record for passing, but I would have to think Tucker did for receiving. I'll have to look at a program when I get a chance.

Also Nate Craft has a tremendous leg. Quite a few touchbacks tonight including one that was backed up from an offsides penalty on Salem that still went 5 yards deep in the EZ and a FG from 30 or so that would have been good from 45 and he absolutely boomed one of Salem's two punts on the night. Beckley had doubled as Salem's punter the past two seasons so this is new to Nate but he'll be just fine it seems. Huge weapon for Salem.

I saw this kid kick at a camp back in spring, he is a weapon for sure!

Reactions: SpartanForce
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT