ADVERTISEMENT

Salem (8-1) vs Pulaski County (8-1)

1MoreHokie

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2005
Salem's balanced offensive attack against Pulaski's elite defense. Pride is on the line but so is the River Ridge district and what I believe is potentially the #1 seed in 4D (need clarification here but I believe PC would at worst be #2 with a win).

Let's hear it, folks.

What's the status of Wood?
He returned and started on defense against Cave Spring. He ran the ball a few times as well against Hidden Valley, including a score. He looks pretty close to full speed if you ask me and amplifies a defense that is finally playing well together as a unit.

Reactions: LionNation540
Temp will be around 32 at game time. Field will be muddy. Look for low scoring slug fest decided by turnovers and mistakes.

I've said it all year that Pulaski will win the district. They have a good defense and a consistent offense, and they will have home field advantage. Pulaski wins 21-20.

Salem and Pulaski County have six opponents in common: Blacksburg, Cave Spring, Christiansburg, Hidden Valley, Northside, and Patrick Henry (Roanoke). Here are the two teams’ combined total points scored and points allowed, against those six common opponents.

Salem: 6-0
Total points scored: 263
Average points scored: 43.8
Total points allowed: 98
Average points allowed: 16.3

Pulaski County: 5-1
Total points scored: 130
Average points scored: 21.7
Total points allowed: 66
Average points allowed: 11.0

Reactions: RKE Fan and greta1
Salem's balanced offensive attack against Pulaski's elite defense. Pride is on the line but so is the River Ridge district and what I believe is potentially the #1 seed in 4D (need clarification here but I believe PC would at worst be #2 with a win).

Let's hear it, folks.

Glad you mentioned the district title. I think they still mean something. The last time I was in the Salem field house, there was a big board with all the years that district championships have been won painted on it. Apparently, they still mean something to the team, as well. This is the seventeenth year that the River Ridge District has been in existence. Salem has won the district ten of the previous sixteen years, but not since 2016, as Blacksburg claimed the last two.

A Pulaski County win on Friday would leave the two teams tied at 5-1, but as the Cougars would have the head-to-head edge over Salem, I think most people would consider PC the champions. Back in the days when district champions always had home field advantage in the playoffs, I think the VHSL ratings scale points were used to determine the district champ if two or more teams had identical district records; the head-to-head results were ignored. However, that method hasn’t been in play for several years. Pulaski County’s only previous River Ridge football title came in 2008.

Interesting factoid: since the River Ridge District began play in 2003, only once has there ever been a tie for first place in football. That came in 2011, when Christiansburg and Salem both finished with district records of 4-1 (the Blue Demons beat the Spartans 42-36 that season). Aside from that one year, there have been fifteen solo champions. Fourteen of those fifteen teams sailed through the district undefeated - Salem ‘04 (4-1) being the sole exception.

Last edited:
Temp will be around 32 at game time. Field will be muddy. Look for low scoring slug fest decided by turnovers and mistakes.
Before I go digging out my hip waders for Friday's game I'm curious to know where you getting your opinion that the field will be muddy. That's twice that you have stated the game will be played on a muddy field. I believe Dublin had some rain earlier this week and according to NOAA weather forecast there's no rain expected until Thursday and it's only a 30% chance of showers and Pulaski Co. field drains well. Over the 45-year history of Pulaski there have been very few muddy field condition games. The JV games has had no problem with mud so I'm just curious!
Oh Lord......... please tell me they don't have to watch out for you sneaking up here with a mop bucket full of water,......lol

Last edited:
Reactions: SpartanOfYore
Before I go digging out my hip waders for Friday's game I'm curious to know where you getting your opinion that the field will be muddy. That's twice that you have stated the game will be played on a muddy field. I believe Dublin had some rain earlier this week and according to NOAA weather forecast there's no rain expected until Thursday and it's only a 30% chance of showers and Pulaski Co. field drains well. Over the 45-year history of Pulaski there have been very few muddy field condition games. The JV games has had no problem with mud so I'm just curious!
Oh Lord......... please tell me they don't have to watch out for you sneaking up here with a mop bucket full of water,......lol
All natural grass fields are soft and muddy this time of year. Especially with the rain we had this past week. If it stays dry next week it shouldn't be too bad

All natural grass fields are soft and muddy this time of year. Especially with the rain we had this past week. If it stays dry next week it shouldn't be too bad
Thank you sir for your explanation! I was just taking it as if you meant it was going to be a mud Bowl. Soft maybe, yes but I don't think it will be that muddy. Either way safe journey and good luck. This should be another good Pulaski and Salem contest.

I follow the Southwest Times on Facebook and I saw that the winner of Salem/Pulaski gets home field advantage throughout the playoffs with the #1 seed. Why is that important? If Salem were to lose then they’d meet Glass in the second round. Speaking for myself I thought that those two teams were locked for the Region D Championship game. This game is absolutely huge!

Reactions: mbonape1
Salem and Pulaski County have six opponents in common: Blacksburg, Cave Spring, Christiansburg, Hidden Valley, Northside, and Patrick Henry (Roanoke). Here are the two teams’ combined total points scored and points allowed, against those six common opponents.

Salem: 6-0
Total points scored: 263
Average points scored: 43.8
Total points allowed: 98
Average points allowed: 16.3

Pulaski County: 5-1
Total points scored: 130
Average points scored: 21.7
Total points allowed: 66
Average points allowed: 11.0

I do not like them stats because I think it will be close game based upon three common games.
Salem beat Northside 21-14
Pulaski beat Northside 14-0

Salem beat Patrick Henry 51-34
Pulaski beat Patrick Henry 27-10

Salem beat Blacksburg 35-21
Pulaski beat Blacksburg 12-3

Salem avg 36-23
Pulaski avg 18-4

I think you can throw out Christiansburg because that game was close vs Salem at half. Cave Spring does not matter. Ok so Salem roughed up Hidden Valley and surprised them. Salem got mauled by Martinsburg like that. Salem had better be prepared. Pulaski will attempt to shorten the game to limit Salem opportunities.

I do not like them stats because I think it will be close game based upon three common games.
Salem beat Northside 21-14
Pulaski beat Northside 14-0

Salem beat Patrick Henry 51-34
Pulaski beat Patrick Henry 27-10

Salem beat Blacksburg 35-21
Pulaski beat Blacksburg 12-3

Salem avg 36-23
Pulaski avg 18-4

I think you can throw out Christiansburg because that game was close vs Salem at half. Cave Spring does not matter. Ok so Salem roughed up Hidden Valley and surprised them. Salem got mauled by Martinsburg like that. Salem had better be prepared. Pulaski will attempt to shorten the game to limit Salem opportunities.

I think it'll be close but you can't toss out results you don't like just to make a narrative happen. HV beat PC by 3 TDs and Salem beat HV by almost 50, if you're going to sit there and compare common games you have to include that one at the very least.

Reactions: mbonape1
Pulaski is very good defensively. They are extremely well coached from a technique standpoint and they pursue and maintain assignments very well. They also give more unique looks and blitzes than any other team in the area does as well but that is normally something they do more against spread teams. Their linebackers will be the best that Salem has seen all season... the Gallimore brothers are both fantastic. All of them diagnose plays very quickly and are good at recognizing traps and reading pulling linemen. The DL also does a good job of recognizing trap and squeezing and do a good job in general at taking on kick out blocks, which is all vital for defending against the Salem running game. They also get very good play from the safeties and both of them hit and tackle like linebackers. If you want to some hits you will enjoy seeing the PC linebackers/DEs meeting up with Salem FB Cameron Leftwich throughout the game... that will be in interesting battle to watch for sure. Side note, could any Pulaski fans tell me who the defensive coordinator is?

In my opinion, the defense is stronger in the middle (DTs, LBs Safeties) than it is outside (DEs, corners) but the latter has improved a lot throughout the season and is one of the reasons why the defense continues to get better as the season goes on.

Offensively Pulaski is definitely going to want to shorten the game and get the consistent 3-4 yard runs but they really need to be able to hit some big plays in the passing game. Their last game against PH was one of the better offensive games that they have played in the last half of the season.

Pulaski is very good defensively. They are extremely well coached from a technique standpoint and they pursue and maintain assignments very well. They also give more unique looks and blitzes than any other team in the area does as well but that is normally something they do more against spread teams. Their linebackers will be the best that Salem has seen all season... the Gallimore brothers are both fantastic. All of them diagnose plays very quickly and are good at recognizing traps and reading pulling linemen. The DL also does a good job of recognizing trap and squeezing and do a good job in general at taking on kick out blocks, which is all vital for defending against the Salem running game. They also get very good play from the safeties and both of them hit and tackle like linebackers. If you want to some hits you will enjoy seeing the PC linebackers/DEs meeting up with Salem FB Cameron Leftwich throughout the game... that will be in interesting battle to watch for sure. Side note, could any Pulaski fans tell me who the defensive coordinator is?

In my opinion, the defense is stronger in the middle (DTs, LBs Safeties) than it is outside (DEs, corners) but the latter has improved a lot throughout the season and is one of the reasons why the defense continues to get better as the season goes on.

Offensively Pulaski is definitely going to want to shorten the game and get the consistent 3-4 yard runs but they really need to be able to hit some big plays in the passing game. Their last game against PH was one of the better offensive games that they have played in the last half of the season.
Defensive coord is Robbie Collie

Very informative analysis. How would you say Salem’s defense compares to Pulaski’s, both in approach and effectiveness? It seems to me the Spartan D has started to tighten up the last couple of weeks. I hope that’s not fool’s gold due to the big drop-off in competition after Martinsburg. But they completely shut down Hidden Valley, which obviously has had some success on offense this season.

Very informative analysis. How would you say Salem’s defense compares to Pulaski’s, both in approach and effectiveness? It seems to me the Spartan D has started to tighten up the last couple of weeks. I hope that’s not fool’s gold due to the big drop-off in competition after Martinsburg. But they completely shut down Hidden Valley, which obviously has had some success on offense this season.
Pulaski's prefers to have a true 0 nose guard against heavy run personnel/formations (Like Salem's base 21) as opposed to Salem having a 1 and a 3 technique or sometimes double 2 techniques which they used against Pulaski last year and seems like something they like do more against teams that go out of shotgun. Last year Pulaski's front alignment was pretty similar to what Franklin County used as a base this year, although FC started mixing it up as the game went on.

Both teams have a combination on the interior DL of one very large player and one (or two at times for PC) smaller, quicker DT. PC likes to slant, stunt and blitz more and although they did very little of that last year in this game, I could see that happening more this time around. Salem has more team speed on defense but PC is very efficient when it comes to pursuit, angles and play recognition so they also get to the ball in a hurry. Salem's safeties (when they are on) are better in coverage but PC's are more physical and better tacklers. Salem's corners are very talented but have had issues getting off blocks and coming up to tackle at times this season but they have been much better at this as of late and HV was the best I have seen them do this all season. PC's corners are very sound technically and are both willing tacklers. They do a good job keeping things in front of them and generally give a pretty nice cushion and are willing to concede shorter throws. They will press at times but only if they have safety help lined up on that side and it isn't really a hard press but more of a reroute to get the receivers to take an inside release into the safety help and I would be surprised to see them do this against Salem's pro formation... they might to it against slot though.

I'll throw out a few of my own general observations over the last few games.
1- The secondary seems more focused on their reads and are playing more aggressive, especially against the run. Whether or not pass coverage has improved remains to be seen, although Hidden Valley was effective throwing the ball against other good teams such as Northside and Pulaski while having very little success against Salem.
2- Zavione lifts the defense to another level. Even when he's not in on a tackle, he's constantly causing disruption. He has that "nose" for the football and is hellbent on making sure that those that get in his way know who he is.
3- Defensive "chatter" is much more noticeable. Especially against Hidden Valley, the defense was very vocal with each other. A lot of guys were talking and pointing things out, seemed to be much more "team" play as if they were focused on communicating and operating as a true unit.
4- Offensively, Chaney has looked more confident. Whether it be handing the ball off, stepping back in the pocket to pass, or just being an overall manager of the game, he's been more poised and is playing seasoned.
5- From talking with a few players post Martinsburg, its seems to me (although I may be totally wrong) like many of them took it personal that they got beat like they did in that game. Whether it was your typical wake-up call or a more determined "never again" mindset, the team has certainly showed more crispness and a penchant for perfecting execution that Salem football is so known for. It reminds me some of 2017 after Blacksburg beat the socks off the Spartans and the "sleeping giant" finally woke up.
SpartanOfYore, I share your hope that this is not "fool's gold". I definitely think that will be answered Friday night and the game will also serve as a good indicator on where this Spartan teams stands heading into the playoffs.

2 very good defensive physical football teams, first one to 14 wins this game .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT