ADVERTISEMENT

Salem by 20....

Three putt I hope you are right, but the Spartans this year have been inconsistent and mistake prone. They must improve their deep passing game and integrate Tucker more into the game plan. They will be all right if they stop shooting themselves in the foot

Reactions: SpartanForce
I think Salem needs to pound Blacksburg with running game and short dump passes. When you watch the Salem running game you will notice Ramsey and Owen rarely lose yardage. There is really no need to stretch the defense until they can stop the run.

I disagree to a point about Tucker. Against Dinwiddie I think he was too much of a focal point. On numerous plays Tucker was the first and only option while other receivers were wide open. Tucker is great in space, so I would agree he would be a good mix in the running game.

Salem is a sound team and a loss surely wont deter them. Blacksburg's offense is similar to Dinwiddie's, so its not like the have not seen the spread. Beck will be a factor if Salem has not cleaned up its running game defense.

The key to this game is simple for the Spartans. Slow the game down, run, run, run, take points via fg when a drive stalls, and force the Bruins to beat the experienced Salem secondary by the pass.

I think Salem needs to pound Blacksburg with running game and short dump passes. When you watch the Salem running game you will notice Ramsey and Owen rarely lose yardage. There is really no need to stretch the defense until they can stop the run.

I disagree to a point about Tucker. Against Dinwiddie I think he was too much of a focal point. On numerous plays Tucker was the first and only option while other receivers were wide open. Tucker is great in space, so I would agree he would be a good mix in the running game.

Salem is a sound team and a loss surely wont deter them. Blacksburg's offense is similar to Dinwiddie's, so its not like the have not seen the spread. Beck will be a factor if Salem has not cleaned up its running game defense.

The key to this game is simple for the Spartans. Slow the game down, run, run, run, take points via fg when a drive stalls, and force the Bruins to beat the experienced Salem secondary by the pass.
I agree Navy, Tucker has been double covered most of the time this year from my observation and Teams know he is the first option to look for. Both Close and Wade have been open several times and they still throw to Tucker hoping for him to make a play with 2 defenders in his face. I mean Close is what 6'5 ? Throw it up to him over the middle for crying out loud!
Ramsey and Owen both are in the groove in their run game and I would make Blacksburg stop them both to open up the passing game. Their success is mostly on the outside from what i have seen since defenses seem intent on stacking the box to shut down the middle.
Special teams i think may be the factor in this one as well with arguably the top two kickers in the state going at it. Touchbacks will be a given and i think it will come down to which team gets into the most positions to give them the opportunities to kick fgs. It still boggles my mind why coaches are content to leave points on the sidelines in 4th down situations. I dont think either Craft nor Wise have kicked many fgs so far but the ability is there, especially seeing the Spartan kicker making 55 yarders at the half at Northside last week..
Going to be a great game for sure!

Other than the turnovers Dinwiddies field goals were a big factor in the final score. Sometimes I wonder why coaches dont take the fg to go up two scores, especially when you have a proven kicker. Three points is three points.

If I remember right, Salem had an opportunity to try a 58 or 59 yard fg against Dinwiddie and decided to punt. Craft can make that.
I was not pointing out Salem specifically. I think all coaches are guilty of going for it inside of the red zone when they could take the points. I realize it takes a good snap, blocking, hold, and kick, but arent similar risk involved in a 4th and long pass play?

Hoofprint, I am fairly sure you were likely being sarcastic, but a 58 or 59 yard field goal is extremely risky unless its at the end of half/game.

Just this year alone I have seen four kickers in class 4 (Salem, Monacan, Hanover and Dinwiddie) who are very capable of and have made fg's inside of 45 yards. For argument sake the ball is on the 28. How many drives end in no mans land? Can't punt, not too much space, passing game not working take the chance for points.

Reactions: panther308
I think Blacksburg will be fired up after beating Amherst and the drubbing Salem gave them last year... they probably think they owe Salem one.

Blacksburg needs to get the lead early if possible. Otherwise I don't see them beating Salem... If I were Blacksburg I sell out to stop the run. If Salem beat me in the air then so be it. Last thing I would want is Ramsey for 5 yrds per carry and 7 minute drives.

I think the difference between Dinwiddie and Blacksburg will be the QB play. Dinwiddie's QB put together a fantastic game when he took the ball and ran with it. I'm not sure Blacksburg's QB will run as much. Either way, Salem's linebackers need to be on top of their game!

This Blacksburg team will take whatever Salem gives them. If Salem wants to sell out on stopping Beck, they will take advantage and throw it. Johnston is a really good QB, the biggest problem is going to be can we protect him. As for the D, I'm not sure some of you know or havent seen us play. The numbers are misleading in that a few of the scores given up are against the backups and JV kids in the 4th quarter. Salem is the bully on the block until proven otherwise. Nothing but RESPECT for they do year in and year out. I get a feeling this wont be the only meeting between these two this season.

This Blacksburg team will take whatever Salem gives them. If Salem wants to sell out on stopping Beck, they will take advantage and throw it. Johnston is a really good QB, the biggest problem is going to be can we protect him. As for the D, I'm not sure some of you know or havent seen us play. The numbers are misleading in that a few of the scores given up are against the backups and JV kids in the 4th quarter. Salem is the bully on the block until proven otherwise. Nothing but RESPECT for they do year in and year out. I get a feeling this wont be the only meeting between these two this season.
Hits the nail on the head. These players (and coaches) do respect the other. Here's to hoping for a great, injury free game for both sides. Friday can't come soon enough!

Mike Salem, are u going to make it up to the game? If so, I'll find u to say hello.
I would like to, but I don't think I will unfortunately. I'll update you here if that changes. There are several Blacksburg faithful that I would like to meet, yourself included. I hope for a good ballgame with no injuries. I should be at the JV game on Thursday at Salem.

The last time I went to Blacksburg the handicap seating at the base of the stands line up with the players on the sidelines and didn't allow for a good view. (There will also be a lot of people along the fence surrounding the field) I could possibly arrange transportation, but I'd like to be able to have a good view. The weather, environment, and game, should all be ideal.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I would have liked to see him try it. It's a regular season game, not the end of the world if it didn't work. He makes em every week in warm ups.

The last time I went to Blacksburg the handicap seating at the base of the stands line up with the players on the sidelines and didn't allow for a good view. (There will also be a lot of people along the fence surrounding the field) I could possibly arrange transportation, but I'd like to be able to have a good view. The weather, environment, and game, should all be ideal.
Mike you are welcome to sit with us on the Bburg side. The handicapped seats are at the top and there is plenty of room for a wheelchair. You are on the top when you walk in on our side, its similar to PH.

I hear you Mike. I'll hit you back here once I make some calls.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I would have liked to see him try it. It's a regular season game, not the end of the world if it didn't work. He makes em every week in warm ups.
I agree. If he makes it...3 more points on the scoreboard. If he misses, then you are no worse off than you were before. Hard to get inside a coach's head as to why they make those decisions.

I agree. If he makes it...3 more points on the scoreboard. If he misses, then you are no worse off than you were before. Hard to get inside a coach's head as to why they make those decisions.
It isn't that simple. If he misses the kick, the opposing team takes over from where he kicked... that is much different than getting pinned deep with a punt. Also, kicks from that distance are so easy to block because of how low of a trajectory the ball has to be kicked at. Yes, he makes them a decent amount of time when the ball is football holder but that is a far cry from getting an actual hold, not having a perfect angle, having a rush, etc.

He probably has one of the strongest legs in the country but he would have at best a 20% change of making a 59-yard FG in a game. To put that in perspective, the best kickers in the country in all of college football would probably at best have a 1/3 chance of making a kick from that distance.

Reactions: falcettik
It isn't that simple. If he misses the kick, the opposing team takes over from where he kicked... that is much different than getting pinned deep with a punt. Also, kicks from that distance are so easy to block because of how low of a trajectory the ball has to be kicked at. Yes, he makes them a decent amount of time when the ball is football holder but that is a far cry from getting an actual hold, not having a perfect angle, having a rush, etc.

He probably has one of the strongest legs in the country but he would have at best a 20% change of making a 59-yard FG in a game. To put that in perspective, the best kickers in the country in all of college football would probably at best have a 1/3 chance of making a kick from that distance.
I hear ya, but the one that I had in mind was at the end of the half with very little time left on the clock. It was a long shot for sure, but the timing was perfect to try.

Bburg weak on def
a6a4d20a120095d244e1a4c8cabc551994ae15eb133aa449c94bf020cac898d0.jpg

Three putt not a diplomat. But got to give him credit , he puts it out there and makes himself a Target for ridicule if he is wrong. Here is my prediction. If Salem has one turnover or less, and very few penalties, they win by 10 to 14. I guess I don't have the cojones that three putt has.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
It does look like I'll be able to make it to the game after all. @cb2018 @JOrndorff @skindo @1bburgfan
@MrJHamm

I should be leaving here just after 5 and will probably make it there a little before 6 depending on traffic. I hope I can meet you all before, during, or after the game. I look forward to meeting you and any other Blacksburg faithful and for a competitive ballgame with no injuries.

I took Blacksburg. I can't really give you a rhyme or reason except a hunch and the fact that if it ever happens it has to happen now. Is BB the little brother with a chip on his shoulder? Can they step out of the giant shadow that is the Salem program? BB has an exceptionally explosive playmaker and may hit a few early homeruns and force Salem to play high octane ball. Good luck to both teams who I fully expect to be contenders to rep the west in the state title game. The west side of the state must be feeling the earth shaking. A lot of bragging rights at steak here for the next few weeks anyways. I imagine a lot of you will find concentrating at work hard on Friday!

Last edited:
Good point catchtds. I do believe in Salem's secondary; however, I agree with bmonape1 about hitting homeruns. This truly could be the key to this game. Does Blacksburg attempt to establish the run and take a few shots or do they spread the field and go for it all?

I don't think the latter is the best option as failure could result in three and outs allowing the ground and pound game of Salem to impose its will. To beat this sound Salem team you must go right at them and force their linebackers/d backs to play the run. My other concern is Blacksburg's ability to pass protect long enough to get Terry the deep ball. I say throw the ball to him in space and see if he can make it happen in isolation.

There will be plenty of space to operate for both teams as the talented kickers will boom it in the end zone. This game is very intriguing and I am not sure who comes out on top. My gut tells me Salem, but Blacksburg's playmakers have me wondering. I will stick to my original guess and say 24-21 Salem.

Reactions: mbonape1
I think Blacksburg will pick their shots deep. They should use quick game and get Terry the ball in space. Should be a great chess match.

Salem ground and pounds , good game but Salem is super motivated now after the close loss to Dinwiddie. Salem 35 Blacksburg 21.

Another matchup to watch is Blacksburg's quick skinnier lbs vs Ramsey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT