ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs Blacksburg… B’burg forfeited

Really wish they wouldn't have wasted time with the "make up" game and let Salem continue to attempt to find a team to play (not always easy for Salem).

Reminds me of that Carroll County forfeit from a few years back. They forfeited because they didn't want to play the game, not because of reasons out of their control. This one is no different.

They’re supposed to play Graham tomorrow night. Is that still on?
As far as I know it is. Just seems like they really didn't want to play Salem. I realize Blacksburg would be a huge underdog, but I don't like the message they are sending to their kids by choosing to forfeit rather than play. Maybe I don't have all the information and am judging them unfairly. As a fan I just want to see them get a chance to play.

Reactions: Amgis
Calpreps has Salem vs Blacksburg as a 62-0 score. Calpreps has Graham vs Blacksburg as a 60-0 score.

Quite frankly, as a district opponent this is just unacceptable. If they were OOD then that's fine, I'd say jettison from future schedules and be done with it but this is a ducking, plain and simple. The week they supposedly had Covid issues, the staff went to scout Cburg that week and were mighty surprised to find so many Bburg players having a grand ol' time in the stands.

Like I said, this cost Salem the chance to find a 10th game to fit in somewhere. If they didn't want to play they should have forfeited immediately and moved on. Salem often has difficulty scheduling, they do not schedule 1A or 2A schools which removes many area possibilities and other teams often don't want to play them (a local 3A powerhouse was approached by Salem with an "any day, any time, any place" policy and roundly refused). I'm sure they probably could have filled the spot by now but Blacksburg seemingly agreeing to re-schedule ultimately screwed Salem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amgis and dblplaa
Quite frankly, as a district opponent this is just unacceptable. If they were OOD then that's fine, I'd say jettison from future schedules and be done with it but this is a ducking, plain and simple. The week they supposedly had Covid issues, the staff went to scout Cburg that week and were mighty surprised to find so many Bburg players having a grand ol' time in the stands.

Like I said, this cost Salem the chance to find a 10th game to fit in somewhere. If they didn't want to play they should have forfeited immediately and moved on. Salem often has difficulty scheduling, they do not schedule 1A or 2A schools which removes many area possibilities and other teams often don't want to play them (a local 3A powerhouse was approached by Salem with an "any day, any time, any place" policy and roundly refused). I'm sure they probably could have filled the spot by now but Blacksburg seemingly agreeing to re-schedule ultimately screwed Salem.
I agree with you on having to play since it was a district opponent. Salem would have the JV in after half time. Graham will probably give them a worse beating. I heard the same thing about the former 3A powerhouse. I guess when you get accused of trying to recruit players from Northside and Byrd and then file a lawsuit against the county, then have a mediocre season this year, you tend to shy away from a challenge.

Just to be clear, the coach at Carroll when they forfeited to Salem, is the same head coach at Blacksburg now.
Really wish they wouldn't have wasted time with the "make up" game and let Salem continue to attempt to find a team to play (not always easy for Salem).

Reminds me of that Carroll County forfeit from a few years back. They forfeited because they didn't want to play the game, not because of reasons out of their control. This one is no different.

First off I would like to apologize to the kids at Salem, if you can't find another game. Kids on both teams work hard in the off season and look forward to the games in the fall , I'm truly sorry to the seniors if they don't get their 10th game. Now for the crapshow in Bburg, The kids never had a choice in this decision . What the hell is the admin. trying to teach these young men, that quitting is ok ? Sure we may have lost 162-0 , several of these young men have left everything on the field , while on the other end of some lopsided games, did they quit??????? How can you take a game away from kids that have worked their asses off for 5 years or longer? The kids deserve better. Seniors, thank you for all you blood sweat and tears, Onward Bruins. sidenote I dont have a child or family member on the team , just the feelings of an old Indian who loves the Friday Night Lights at Bill Brown Stadium, I've never seen them this dim.............

The funny part is that relative to the rest of their losses, the Salem loss wouldn't stand out. Salem was going to play Blacksburg between Hidden Valley tomorrow and a very tough PH team the next week. They also don't have the offense to just continue piling up the points once a running clock starts to go, they tend to grind clock a lot before punching in for a score. The staff would no doubt have tried to get up by 35 ASAP, put in the backups and coast it out, I could easily see a 35-0 or no worse than 42-0 situation unless they got some help from defensive or special teams scoring. It wouldn't have been some 70 point massacre or anything, that's not possible this year nor is it the aim of Salem and their staff to try and purposefully embarrass a team or "teach them a lesson".

Both sets of kids deserved to play the game and see it through. The AD and HC are at fault.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT