ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs. Broad Run in Salem. What do you think?

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
How do the two teams match up?
Who has the most size and speed?
How does the style of play differ?
Will playing at Salem make a difference?
Who are the outstanding players on each team?

I’m wondering how #2 and #9 are. Is Salem at full strength. Has Broad Run played any teams dedicated to the run. They look big on the line and have at least one super stud.

Here’s a little preview of Broad Run:

- Well balanced attack on offense mixing the run and pass well. QB Griffis is an under-rated runner and very solid passer. Good experience and will be joining his brother at Wake Forest in the fall.
- 2 really solid receivers (average size) in Lemmond and Thornhill. Both are good route runners with good hands and strength.
- They have had to overcome some injuries at the RB position this year but Shipe is a capable back.
- O-Line is a strength headlined by PSU junior commit Alex Birchmeier (# 1 OT in the class of ‘23). He looks the part, plays the part, and can be very intimidating at the line of scrimmage.
- Defensive strength is their front 7. The LB’s are solid and tackle well. Can be exposed over the top on their backend.
- Very solid kicking game and will take the 3 points when available.

Everyone will look at the Stone Bridge blow out and rightfully so, but every bounce went SB’s way in that game. BR is not 57 points worse than SB. They were overwhelmed in that game and it got away from them. Otherwise, they have run the table. My gut feeling tells me it will be close with Salem pulling it out due to their experience in these big games. I don’t expect either team to be able to comfortably pull away from the other though. Expect a good hard hitting fundamentally sound game.

Reactions: FoxesPride
Broad Run
#2 Sr 5’9 165 WR
#6 So 5’8 165 TB
2nd Team All District
#9 Sr 6’0 194 WR
1st Team All District
#10 Sr 6’0 185 QB
1st Team All District
#11 Sr 6’4 235 Y
#12 Sr 6’1 187 WR
#13 Sr 6’3 185 WR
#22 Sr 6’1 180. F
#24 Sr 5’10 185 WR
1st Team All District
#78 Jr 6’3 255 C
2nd Team All District
#51 Sr 6’1 260 LT
2nd Team All District
#53 Jr 6’5 275 RG
1st Team All District
#54 Sr 6’0 225 LG
2nd Team All District
#72 Jr 6’5 250 RT
#73 Sr 6’0 285 Extra OT

Here’s a little preview of Broad Run:

- Well balanced attack on offense mixing the run and pass well. QB Griffis is an under-rated runner and very solid passer. Good experience and will be joining his brother at Wake Forest in the fall.
- 2 really solid receivers (average size) in Lemmond and Thornhill. Both are good route runners with good hands and strength.
- They have had to overcome some injuries at the RB position this year but Shipe is a capable back.
- O-Line is a strength headlined by PSU junior commit Alex Birchmeier (# 1 OT in the class of ‘23). He looks the part, plays the part, and can be very intimidating at the line of scrimmage.
- Defensive strength is their front 7. The LB’s are solid and tackle well. Can be exposed over the top on their backend.
- Very solid kicking game and will take the 3 points when available.

Everyone will look at the Stone Bridge blow out and rightfully so, but every bounce went SB’s way in that game. BR is not 57 points worse than SB. They were overwhelmed in that game and it got away from them. Otherwise, they have run the table. My gut feeling tells me it will be close with Salem pulling it out due to their experience in these big games. I don’t expect either team to be able to comfortably pull away from the other though. Expect a good hard hitting fundamentally sound game.

VA is cranking out some OL these last couple years - Rice, Givens, Birchmeier. Three big ones right there.

Wake has been getting kids that fly under the radar from VA and NC for about as long as Clawson has been there. Good eye for talent.

Reactions: KWcavs360
I’m wondering how #2 and #9 are. Is Salem at full strength. Has Broad Run played any teams dedicated to the run. They look big on the line and have at least one super stud.
#2 Peyton Lewis will be fine, not as sure on #9 Chris Cole though.

Tuscarora is a shotgun/spread team but they are very good running team with Virginia Tech commit Bryce Duke at RB. Broad Run beat them twice with last week's game being a shutout.

Reactions: otnorot
In my opinion, the Salem vs Broad Run Game is the state championship. I’d say it’s a toss up , one or two big plays make the difference.
Not at all. Key word is your opinion and we all should respect that. I think us fans forget teams have to actually play first. Lake Taylor was supposed to win it in 15. Woodgrove in 19. Us GW fans knew for sure we’d win it 2015 and a lot of posters thought JF would at least get there in 15 and 16. Dinwiddie got smacked by Louisa in 17. This time of year you have to play the play. Both Kings Fork and Varina are very very good as is Broad Run and Salem.

With that being said, Salem wins this game by 14.

Varina is definitely going to be a tough out. All these good C5 teams keep dropping down 😂

Not at all. Key word is your opinion and we all should respect that. I think us fans forget teams have to actually play first. Lake Taylor was supposed to win it in 15. Woodgrove in 19. Us GW fans knew for sure we’d win it 2015 and a lot of posters thought JF would at least get there in 15 and 16. Dinwiddie got smacked by Louisa in 17. This time of year you have to play the play. Both Kings Fork and Varina are very very good as is Broad Run and Salem.

With that being said, Salem wins this game by 14.
Woodgrove was not supposed to even come close to repeating in 2019/20. They lost 7 Allstate, 1 All Region and 13 starters. They also moved up to C5 with Stone Bridge. I can say they were not supposed to win in 2018 and many on here said they would lose, to a very good Lake Taylor team, by several touchdowns. As you said we never know for sure. Some teams surprise much of the state that doesn't really know them. Other teams get healthy and hot at the right time. IMO your Salem-Broad Run prediction is correct. I think Salem beats Varina by a similar amount. Both games should be competitive though.

Reactions: SFUWO
Woodgrove was not supposed to even come close to repeating in 2019/20. They lost 7 Allstate, 1 All Region and 13 starters. They also moved up to C5 with Stone Bridge. I can say they were not supposed to win in 2018 and many on here said they would lose, to a very good Lake Taylor team, by several touchdowns. As you said we never know for sure. Some teams surprise much of the state that doesn't really know them. Other teams get healthy and hot at the right time. IMO your Salem-Broad Run prediction is correct. I think Salem beats Varina by a similar amount. Both games should be competitive though.
They beat a very good Blacksburg team that yr as well

They beat a very good Blacksburg team that yr as well
Fortunately that Blacksburg team was not as good as the previous year offensively. Defensively they might have been better. Extremely fast, great tacklers and nasty pass coverage. The free safety timed his hits perfectly on our top deep threat all game. We ball controlled them in the first half but they made great adjustments and almost beat us. I was at the Broad Run/Tuscarora game. Broad Run looked the best I've seen them all year. Their short pass game and quarterback runs killed Tusky. I don't see them being able to run effectively against Salem with their halfback. The QB Griffis will get his runs (very hard to bring down or get a clean hit on). I think Salem will wear Broad Run down and go into the 4Q with a 7 point lead, then run one more in to finish BR off. I'm thankful Salem had a down year in 2018:).

Fortunately that Blacksburg team was not as good as the previous year offensively. Defensively they might have been better. Extremely fast, great tacklers and nasty pass coverage. The free safety timed his hits perfectly on our top deep threat all game. We ball controlled them in the first half but they made great adjustments and almost beat us. I was at the Broad Run/Tuscarora game. Broad Run looked the best I've seen them all year. Their short pass game and quarterback runs killed Tusky. I don't see them being able to run effectively against Salem with their halfback. The QB Griffis will get his runs (very hard to bring down or get a clean hit on). I think Salem will wear Broad Run down and go into the 4Q with a 7 point lead, then run one more in to finish BR off. I'm thankful Salem had a down year in 2018:).
I think they had Cole Beck at safety. Fastest kid I have ever seen in a football field

I think they had Cole Beck at safety. Fastest kid I have ever seen in a football field

Just won the ACC title this past year, 10.11 in the 100m. Finished 12th in the country at nationals. I'd be hard pressed to name a football player from this area (SWVA) who was ever faster (and proven as such on the track).

Cole Beck is the fastest player that I have ever seen play football in this area, with D'Juan Smith from Salem being a distant second.

That being said, Peyton Lewis who is a sophomore at Salem is faster than Beck was at this age, even coming off a catastrophic ankle injury earlier in the season.

If he stays healthy he has the potential to be faster than Beck was in high school.

Saw a sidebar comment on the Kirk & Bryd show that Salem has 3 key players not available to play? Sorry, I know it's a Rumor at this point!

I didn't watch the whole segment. But the claim is down in the comments section!

Saw a sidebar comment on the Kirk & Bryd show that Salem has 3 key players not available to play? Sorry, I know it's a Rumor at this point!

I didn't watch the whole segment. But the claim is down in the comments section!

Could not watch all of this. Too many errors. Guy from Northern VA with Lane Stadium as background stated Broad Run had the higher Power Points and they lost to SB 62-7. It was 64-7, small detail but you can't com on a broadcast and make those errors

Last edited:
Could not watch all of this. Too many errors. Guy from Northern VA with Lane Stadium as background stated Broad Run had the higher Power Points and they lost to SB 62-7. It was 64-7, small detail but you can't com on a broadcast and make those errors
Understood, not sure why I scrolled down to the comments under their utube post but I did.. We'll all know soon enough if Salem will be missing key players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT