ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs Louisa

Who wins and why?

• Salem Spartans

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Louisa Lions

Votes: 41 67.2%

• Total voters
Best backs I've seen in person are Trey Henderson from Hopewell and Brandon Minor from Varina

Don't think there is much question Louisa played a weak schedule. However, they dispatched those teams like they should have. The only problem when playing a weak schedule is you don't know how to react when you get stopped for the first time or when you fall behind for the first time. Now it is important to say that Salem fell behind PH and could not come back. They seemed to have no counter to PH filling the box and playing bend but don't break defense. They took the big run away. So it doesn't take a rocket Scientist to figure out what Louisa is going to do. They will fill the box and dare Salem to throw. On offense I imagine Louisa will attack Salems sophomore tackles and corner. That's what PH did with enough success to secure the win. It will be interesting to see if Salem makes some adjustments or do they stick with the run between the tackles, punt and play defense philosophy (a philosophy that has been good for Salem for 40 years).
Realistically this Salem team is actually ahead of schedule. So many juniors and sophomores playing. They should be much better next year if they can fill the qb position.

I agree Henderson was a beast at hopewell. 12.5 per carry 2400 yards 54 tds just in his junior year didn't even play his senior year because of covid shut down I can't imagine what he would have done if he would've play his senior year but I agree it's been some great ones also in the area

Reactions: 1Gensfan
I say that because Salem ain’t much between the tackles vs decent teams. Sure they can blow it up against W Albemarle, and those caliber teams, Video I have watched on Louisa, their O line does a good job getting push on the D line, that coupled with a dynamic running back = trouble..If Salem goes in there and tries to run the between the tackles, there’s gonna be a lot of 3 and outs. Salem needs to figure out how to get all that speed the ball.. Spread the field, create lanes and let Lewis f
Don't think there is much question Louisa played a weak schedule. However, they dispatched those teams like they should have. The only problem when playing a weak schedule is you don't know how to react when you get stopped for the first time or when you fall behind for the first time. Now it is important to say that Salem fell behind PH and could not come back. They seemed to have no counter to PH filling the box and playing bend but don't break defense. They took the big run away. So it doesn't take a rocket Scientist to figure out what Louisa is going to do. They will fill the box and dare Salem to throw. On offense I imagine Louisa will attack Salems sophomore tackles and corner. That's what PH did with enough success to secure the win. It will be interesting to see if Salem makes some adjustments or do they stick with the run between the tackles, punt and play defense philosophy (a philosophy that has been good for Salem for 40 years).
Realistically this Salem team is actually ahead of schedule. So many juniors and sophomores playing. They should be much better next year if they can fill the qb position.
Salem runs OFF tackle. One Sophomore plays on D.

Salem has scored 20 total points in their 3 toughest games. I’m pulling for em. But something needs to get fixed quickly.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Salem has scored 20 total points in their 3 toughest games. I’m pulling for em. But something needs to get fixed quickly.
Need to throw out Christiansburg game. Played in God awful conditions where passing and punting were impossible. Should never have been played.

Yeah. I could have said 14 points against two toughest. That doesn’t sound any better.
I guess Cave Spring can't be put on the list. I mean they did beat Patrick Henry and made the playoffs. 🤷‍♂️

Some Stats for your consideration. Against the 5 Playoff teams Louisa played (Orange, Western, Albemarle, Goochland, Jefferson Forrest) Louisa Offense was stopped a total of 3 times (1 each A, WA, O) in those 5 games in the 1st half. Louisa scored 22 TD in the 1st half of these games while allowing only 3 (1 JF 2 A). While games were competitive they scored 11 additional TD without being stopped any additional times.

Needless to say Louisa' offense is hotter than the radioactive pile at north anna.

Reactions: tommythecpa
Some Stats for your consideration. Against the 5 Playoff teams Louisa played (Orange, Western, Albemarle, Goochland, Jefferson Forrest) Louisa Offense was stopped a total of 3 times (1 each A, WA, O) in those 5 games in the 1st half. Louisa scored 22 TD in the 1st half of these games while allowing only 3 (1 JF 2 A). While games were competitive they scored 11 additional TD without being stopped any additional times.

Needless to say Louisa' offense is hotter than the radioactive pile at north anna.
Louisa is very good. However, making the playoffs doesn't make you a good team. Louisa was a playoff team last year, lost to Salem 55. 7. Then Salem played Broad Run and got beat in the last seconds. Measure your team against the likes of Martinsburg, Lake Taylor, Varina, Dinwiddie and PH this year( who beat Briar Woods yesterday without starting qb). Salem never measures itself against the likes of Blacksburg, Hidden Valley, or Western Albemarle (who didn't look as good as Hidden Valley).

Remember talking with one Robert Anderson not long ago, called Ramsey arguably the area's biggest "what if?". Kid had Sunday potential.

Still my favorite individual play of all the Salem football I've ever seen. 7 Cburg players physically contacted him, another 2 were within arm's length.

Derrick McCoy from Amherst is also one of the biggest “what ifs” in the area. Absolute freak, size, speed and athleticism.

Derrick McCoy from Amherst is also one of the biggest “what ifs” in the area. Absolute freak, size, speed and athleticism.
Peter Rose too even though he had a semi solid career at JMU. Just think what if he never got into trouble and went to Tech. But yes, Big Pipe was one of my favorite players growing up. Absolute beast.

Just asking but with all the comparisons of teams and who they beat and who they lost to it almost sounds like this game shouldn’t be played like the outcome is inevitable. The teams will work it out this week as they don’t care who beat who last week last month or years ago.

Reactions: falcettik
Just asking but with all the comparisons of teams and who they beat and who they lost to it almost sounds like this game shouldn’t be played like the outcome is inevitable. The teams will work it out this week as they don’t care who beat who last week last month or years ago.
It's always one game at a time. You still have to beat the opponent on Friday. Just because another team beat them doesn't mean you will or just because a team is undefeated doesn't mean you won't beat them.

I think lions can win this but coach will have to manage the players time. They can’t play both sides like they have this year as Salem is a huge step up for Louisa. The lineman have to stay fresh to get it done. 97 &52 are in game alot

Reactions: SFUWO
I agree Henderson was a beast at hopewell. 12.5 per carry 2400 yards 54 tds just in his junior year didn't even play his senior year because of covid shut down I can't imagine what he would have done if he would've play his senior year but I agree it's been some great ones also in the area
Hopewell and Phoebus wouldn’t be 2-2

Louisa offense is hot hot. Some are comparing us to last season and we are a TOTALLY different team than last year. Hiter and Carter are the real deal! 49-21 Lions!

I imagine there are a lot of schools that have their "Derrick McCoy", maybe even multiple ones. It is what makes sports at all levels frustrating when seeing players of obvious abilities and gifts not maximizing, maybe even squandering, their talents. Robert Anderson, given the length of his career and all the games he covered, is on a select list, IMO, of people best able to rank those "what ifs."

Louisa offense is hot hot. Some are comparing us to last season and we are a TOTALLY different team than last year. Hiter and Carter are the real deal! 49-21 Lions!
If Louisa puts up 49 on Salem then they can win it all but I doubt they can score that much on a Salem team……but I can dream.

If Louisa puts up 49 on Salem then they can win it all but I doubt they can score that much on a Salem team……but I can dream.
In my honest opinion, the Louise offense is better than the Martinsburg offense,and Martinsburg put 40 on Salem. Now,I know it was the first game of the season, but from what I’ve seen, the Salem offense seems to go back to their roots in tough games, and for some reason they vacate the passing game. Louisa has a unique freshman running back that seems to have colleges all over the country drooling over him. Should be one heck of a football game. somebody in division four is going to have to put together for straight good games to win this whole thing. Who can do that is the question?!

Reactions: VolNation85
In my honest opinion, the Louise offense is better than the Martinsburg offense,and Martinsburg put 40 on Salem. Now,I know it was the first game of the season, but from what I’ve seen, the Salem offense seems to go back to their roots in tough games, and for some reason they vacate the passing game. Louisa has a unique freshman running back that seems to have colleges all over the country drooling over him. Should be one heck of a football game. somebody in division four is going to have to put together for straight good games to win this whole thing. Who can do that is the question?!
Salem's defense has made a TON of personnel/position changes since the FC game in week 2. Also, they actually shut down Martinsburg's offense the entire first half. The Salem offense virtually not being able to pick up a first down for the entire game eventually did them in and they wore down completely.

Salem's back 7 is extremely good and only one of them is a senior but they are much worse up front than last year. They had the best DT combo in the state (4A) by a good margin last year and losing that is hard to replace. That is by far the biggest weakness when compared to last year's Salem team but they are actually better in a few other areas. Unfortunately for Salem, for this matchup, that is extremely important and is one of the main reasons why the game went the way it did last year.

I agree that hiter is the real deal he reminds me of Larry brown in size and style maybe a little sweetness also. Carter can go up and take the ball also I’m glade he wasn’t hurt to bad.

I think lions can win this but coach will have to manage the players time. They can’t play both sides like they have this year as Salem is a huge step up for Louisa. The

That score is misleading. Martinsburg's offense only managed 6 points in the first half. And 19 total late late in the 4th quarter. Yes I'm subtracting the block punt for TD because that is not by the offense. Martinsburg scored two TD's with less than 3 minutes on the clock when the game was well in hand and the defense was on the field for a majority of the game. One TD was a deep pass with a minute left and the score 33-7. Why they were trying to still score baffles me.

I was thinking I might be able to make this game, but unfortunately I will not be able to. I hope a good contingent of Salem fans will be able to show up. I know Louisa fans will turn out in force, as they always do for big games.

I think this could be a really good game. I think it will come down to who can make the most stops. Louisa hasn't been tested by a team that can consistently make stops. Salem hasn't shown that it can overcome a team that can make stops. Playing good defense and making stops gives that team's offense more shots as well. I know a lot has been said about offense, but I think it boils down to who plays better defense.

It's probably a good thing Mike. I know you are tough, but being exposed to those frigid temperatures would likely play a toll on your body. Stay home and watch it on your computer. I know you love football, but it's not worth the risk. Hang in there brother.

I was thinking I might be able to make this game, but unfortunately I will not be able to. I hope a good contingent of Salem fans will be able to show up. I know Louisa fans will turn out in force, as they always do for big games.

I think this could be a really good game. I think it will come down to who can make the most stops. Louisa hasn't been tested by a team that can consistently make stops. Salem hasn't shown that it can overcome a team that can make stops. Playing good defense and making stops gives that team's offense more shots as well. I know a lot has been said about offense, but I think it boils down to who plays better defense.
Why can’t you make it

I’ll take Macho Harris at RB! Best athlete I’ve ever seen,on the football field,is Allen Iverson!
Ken Oxendine is the best running back I have seen or played against. Macho was a beast, he grew up in my neighborhood but Oxendine was a beast rb at all 3 levels. Ronald Curry was the best athlete I have ever seen.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
CalPreps had Martinsburg beating Highland Springs by 9 earlier this season. But I can see the this as a coin toss game too.

CalPreps' early projections are less reliable (and admittedly so) due to a lack of scores. They've also correctly picked 84% of Virginia's total games this season.

Not the be-all, end-all, just another point of data to consider.

Reactions: HooSprings
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT