ADVERTISEMENT

Shenandoah District Basketball Pre-Season Thoughts?

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
We have just started the football playoffs so basketball is a few weeks away, but what the heck...let's start the dialogue!

In my opinion, you can sum up this year's Shenandoah District race in one simple word...................Staunton!

They will clearly rule the district and everyone else can scramble around and fight for the remaining shots at regional play. As you recall, Staunton is Class 3, as are Waynesboro and Wilson; followed by Fort Defiance, Riverheads and Stuarts Draft in Class 2; leaving Buffalo Gap as the district's only Class 1 team.

If I had to pick someone to finish runner-up to The Storm, it would be Wilson, mainly because of the return of Eli Irving. He should be ready to come into his own this year, after playing last year in Big Brother's shadow. I think the Hornets even have more weapons than him but they will not be up to Staunton' s level.

My bets for the 3 and 4 slots would be Fort Defiance and Stuarts Draft in one order or another. I am pretty sure I remember the Indians as having some size last year and I seem to vaguely remember SD as having a super soph. Of course both Graber brothers play basketball also.

That would leave Buffalo Gap, Riverheads and Waynesboro to fill things out. The Bison were a .500 ish team last year, but they had a weak JV team, so they will be a question mark. Riverheads suffered a big loss when junior Will Gardner decided to transfer. He was one of the best pure shooters we have had and hit for as many as seven triples more than once last year. He could have easily averaged 20 or more PPG this season. The Gladiators will have some quickness this year, but I am not sure about size. As for Waynesboro, things have been tough over there the last few years in just about every sport, but if the basketball team can display the energy and determination that the football team had this year, they might avoid the basement.

Other thoughts?

We have just started the football playoffs so basketball is a few weeks away, but what the heck...let's start the dialogue!

In my opinion, you can sum up this year's Shenandoah District race in one simple word...................Staunton!

They will clearly rule the district and everyone else can scramble around and fight for the remaining shots at regional play. As you recall, Staunton is Class 3, as are Waynesboro and Wilson; followed by Fort Defiance, Riverheads and Stuarts Draft in Class 2; leaving Buffalo Gap as the district's only Class 1 team.

If I had to pick someone to finish runner-up to The Storm, it would be Wilson, mainly because of the return of Eli Irving. He should be ready to come into his own this year, after playing last year in Big Brother's shadow. I think the Hornets even have more weapons than him but they will not be up to Staunton' s level.

My bets for the 3 and 4 slots would be Fort Defiance and Stuarts Draft in one order or another. I am pretty sure I remember the Indians as having some size last year and I seem to vaguely remember SD as having a super soph. Of course both Graber brothers play basketball also.

That would leave Buffalo Gap, Riverheads and Waynesboro to fill things out. The Bison were a .500 ish team last year, but they had a weak JV team, so they will be a question mark. Riverheads suffered a big loss when junior Will Gardner decided to transfer. He was one of the best pure shooters we have had and hit for as many as seven triples more than once last year. He could have easily averaged 20 or more PPG this season. The Gladiators will have some quickness this year, but I am not sure about size. As for Waynesboro, things have been tough over there the last few years in just about every sport, but if the basketball team can display the energy and determination that the football team had this year, they might avoid the basement.

Other thoughts?
What district is East Rock in this year?

1. Staunton
2. Wilson Memorial
3. Fort Defiance
4. Stuarts Draft
5. Riverheads
6. Waynesboro
7. Buffalo Gap

Would be my prediction for this upcoming season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT