ADVERTISEMENT

Smith wins 1st varsity Start

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Brett Smith didn't know he would be starting at Harbor Park for the Grassfield Grizzlies until the morning of the game but he seized the opportunity tossing a 4-hit complete game shutout in his first career Varsity start to help Grassfield to a 5-0 win over Oscar Smith.

"I was pretty excited and honored to pitch (at Harbor park)," Smith said. "I felt pretty confident and I was able to get ahead of the count with my fastball and my teammates came through for me."

Smith struckout eight batters and benefited from two inning ending double plays by his infield to keep the shutout alive. A leadoff triple in the seventh threatened the shut but Smith got two infield groundout's and a strikeout to end the game.

Grassfield coach Shaun Todd decided to go with the sophomore with Senior day on coming on Friday. Todd was impressed by Smith's performance.

"I'm not at all surprised," Todd said. "He's pitched that way since moving up from JV midway thru the year. He's moved to the top of the pitching rotation. He makes us a much deeper team heading into the playoffs."

Grassfield put five runs on the boards with the help of six errors from the Tigers defense. Andrew Bullock double in a run in the 1st inning after catcher Kyle Salladay reached on an error. Donnie Read reached on a fielders choice which scored Garrett Clower from third.

Back-to-back hits by freshman Austin Obenhour (triple) and Trenton Burmeister (single) increased the lead to 3-0. Clower had an RBI single in the 4th inning and Bullock added another RBI with a sacrifice fly to make the score 5-0.

Facebook Photo Feature

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT