ADVERTISEMENT

so who is #1 in the West now? also, in all of 1A VA?

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Wow, that FC over Galax is a surprise. Didn't GW and PM destroy FC recently? Can someone provide some more details? I saw FC had an early pic 6 (major confidence to kickstart the victory) and played at Fort Chiswell...jumped to a three TD lead before Galax came back some. Was there some crazy penalties? tons of more turnovers? FC just out played them?

So would you say Hurley is now the #1 team in the West? opinions, not ratings. (GW, Galax, PM, PH, Chillowie, Narrows, others, etc....)

The East will now have the #1 team in all Virginia. I would have said Riverheads for sure a few weeks ago, now I say its Sussex Central. Could still be Riverheads though...The East has several good teams this season, not just 2 big boys like the last few years.

As in the East, the West should have a very exciting seedings race for playoff positions as we head towards the last four weeks or so of the regular season.

Hurley to me seems to be more than just a one man show this year. Last year it was mostly Justice but this year he has help and that makes them a very dangerous team. I wasn't surprised they blew out Grundy personally. I don't know who comes out of the West but Hurley will have a say in it. Galax and GW get the most attention on here because their fans post more on here but along with Hurley, I also say watch out for Parry McCluer. They have 3 studs in the backfield and looked to have bounced back from the Draft loss.

As for the East it is indeed wide open. It really is hard to say who will come out of it but it's definitely more wide open than recent years. I don't think anyone would be too surprised if any combo of Riverheads, Sussex, Essex, Franklin, Lunenburg or Altavista make the final four. I feel like I'm leaving a team out as well but I'm doing it off memory so if so no disrespect meant. But if today's Galax and FC game showed us it's that anyone can beat anyone on any given day and that the championship will be won on the field and it really doesn't matter what any of us say in these threads because not one team out there is unbeatable or heads and shoulders above anyone else

Hurley to me seems to be more than just a one man show this year. Last year it was mostly Justice but this year he has help and that makes them a very dangerous team. I wasn't surprised they blew out Grundy personally. I don't know who comes out of the West but Hurley will have a say in it. Galax and GW get the most attention on here because their fans post more on here but along with Hurley, I also say watch out for Parry McCluer. They have 3 studs in the backfield and looked to have bounced back from the Draft loss.

As for the East it is indeed wide open. It really is hard to say who will come out of it but it's definitely more wide open than recent years. I don't think anyone would be too surprised if any combo of Riverheads, Sussex, Essex, Franklin, Lunenburg or Altavista make the final four. I feel like I'm leaving a team out as well but I'm doing it off memory so if so no disrespect meant. But if today's Galax and FC game showed us it's that anyone can beat anyone on any given day and that the championship will be won on the field and it really doesn't matter what any of us say in these threads because not one team out there is unbeatable or heads and shoulders above anyone else
Your post is about the most well reasoned and informative that I've read since I started reading this board a couple of years ago. The only thing I would add to what you say about Parry McClure is that, along with having some really good running backs, they are about as well coached as any team I've seen since I moved to Virginia a little over a couple of years ago. After watching a whole lot of high school football in several states over the years, I'd have to say that good coaching generally makes a bigger positive impact in the small school classifications than it does with the big schools. Conversely, you could say the same about the negative influence of a bad coach as well.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Wow, that FC over Galax is a surprise. Didn't GW and PM destroy FC recently? Can someone provide some more details? I saw FC had an early pic 6 (major confidence to kickstart the victory) and played at Fort Chiswell...jumped to a three TD lead before Galax came back some. Was there some crazy penalties? tons of more turnovers? FC just out played them?

So would you say Hurley is now the #1 team in the West? opinions, not ratings. (GW, Galax, PM, PH, Chillowie, Narrows, others, etc....)

The East will now have the #1 team in all Virginia. I would have said Riverheads for sure a few weeks ago, now I say its Sussex Central. Could still be Riverheads though...The East has several good teams this season, not just 2 big boys like the last few years.

As in the East, the West should have a very exciting seedings race for playoff positions as we head towards the last four weeks or so of the regular season.
It was a combination of turnovers, penalties and just getting out played. Fort showed up and played with more heart and looked like they just flat out wanted it more than Galax did. Galax has had a couple of games this year where it just looked like they were going through the motions and they got away with it, that didn't work out so well for them yesterday. They run into a team yesterday that was prepared and ready to play and got whipped. Hopefully this was a wake up call for Galax and they get it together but I have a feeling they are in for a long night against Graham this Friday. Congratulations to Fort on well deserved win.

Last edited:
As for who is #1 in the west now, I would say you would have to go with Hurley right now but we'll see how it all play's out come playoff time. Galax has a lot of work to do yet before they can be considered serious threat to get back to Salem. Riverheads is probably the #1 team in all of 1A right now.

Last edited:
Hurley has talent and is pretty well coached. John seems to think I hate them but that's not the case. I've said it before I respect the program and kids. And know what a winning team can do for a community. But my point is simple they have zero quality wins and won't have come seasons end. Last year was the best team they've had maybe ever. And they couldn't get the job done does that mean they can't this year no. They have a legit chance to make a run. But with that said they do not have any type of history to say they are at the top. I've seen 8-0 Holston teams come to GW and leave with a blowout loss. It really comes down to this when they beat a team worth talking about you know one of the perennial playoff teams. Then they will be worthy of the next level talk until then they are a great looking paper champion nothing more. After this year that talent drys right up. But I've said it before if the beat my beloved GW by 8000 points and win it all congratulations. But none of us will know the answer until they play a Galax, GW, PM, PH, RH, Sussex, Essex ect ect. Best of luck to the Rebbles I really hope we meet up late.

Now with that said #1 is a 3 team debate for me. Hurley, PH and PM they are all undefeated and rolling. Hurley will win out, PH should have 1 loss by years end to GW. And PM has a good shot at 10-0 there level of play will determine there spot. There are to many games left to be played to say who is #1. Galax held that spot so firm because you can't say an undefeated defending State Champion isn't 1. Now that they have a loss the conversation opens up. This argument is in a constant state of movement. Last year almost nobody had good to say about Galax but they proved to be the best in 1A. A loss is a building block especially with a coach like Dixon. As for the #1 in the State it's RH without argument. Now if I have to pick one in going with PH simply because they play better competition than Hurley and I don't know a ton about PM.

It was a combination of turnovers, penalties and just getting out played. Fort showed up and played with more heart and looked like they just flat out wanted it more than Galax did. Galax has had a couple of games this year where it just looked like they were going through the motions and they got away with it, that didn't work out so well for them yesterday. They run into a team yesterday that was prepared and ready to play and got whipped. Hopefully this was a wake up call for Galax and they get it together but I have a feeling they are in for a long night against Graham this Friday. Congratulations to Fort on well deserved win.

Thanks for the input. Well done to FC. Amazing.

This has be one of the biggest upsets (maybe the biggest) in recent 1A memory. What do y'all think?

Galax- defending 1A State Champs riding a 16 game winning streak.

5-0 this year with a 25 point win over GW and just earned a win over a ranked 2A team.

FC- went 0-10 last year (right?)

Just lost this year by 27 points to GW and PM beat them 50-14 recently.

How did FC do it?

Well, they scored 1st for one (a pic 6), jumped to a nice lead gaining confidence and shocking Galax, had + 3 turnover differential (I think), and played at home which I hear can be tough place for opponents.

Well done to FC! As they say, and that's why they play the game!

Blaster you are simply an Idiot, you get on here and pretend you know something about high school football, when actually you are simply a blowhard who wants people to think you know something. No disrespect to PH but how is Castlewood, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, John Battle, RR and Holston tougher than Holston, Eastside, 2A Shelby Valley, Castlewood, Montcalm and 2A Grundy. Why don't you lay down awhile and stop the Crap you keep spitting out.

Oh how sad a dude who is a fan of a little sister team 99% of the time thinks I'm an idiot :( And they aren't tougher seeing as they are all garbage. But Chilhowie is better than them all so is RR and how about GW? Who does Hurley play that is even capable of competing with those 3? Here is the answer NOBODY!!! I challenge you to name 1 single team on Hurleys schedule that is a legitimate contender. I'll wait.... You come on here and get mad at me cause I speak my mind and by doing so it casts a less than stellar light on your Rebbles. Well oh boo hoo to Johnny boy he don't like people talking about that power house at the cliff. Get over it dude when Hurley beats someone or wins something come talk. I come on here with facts. You make vague statements and call me an idiot and a blowhard. Come back with some FACTS. Until then stay in the slow lane and watch the real teams continue winning.

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
Hurley Schedule
Holston common opponent haha
Eastside laughable
Sv KY laughable
Castlewood common opponent 8-2 with no good wins
Montcalm WV really?
Grundy no count compared to real 2A teams
Honaker extremely down
TS common opponent laughable
Phelps ky laughable
Tv and you guessed it laughable

Last edited:
PH Schedule
Castlewood 8-2 no good wins
Rye Cove laughable
TS laughable
JB not good but better than anyone you play
RR rich tradition and would 10-0 playing your schedule
Holston haha
Marion 10-0 playing Hurleys schedule
GW rich tradition 2 titles and no losing season for 20 years
Chilhowie 10-0 with Hurleys schedule and rich tradition
Nw laughable

Last edited:
3 common opponents who are horrible. Hurley playes 3 out of state teams who are HORRIBLE! . Now the other teams
Hurley- ES, Grundy, Honaker, TV
PH- JB, RR, Marion, GW, Chilhowie
Can you really tell us with a straight face that those 4 are in anyway better than the other 5 PH plays? If so it is you sir who knows absolutely nothing about football not me.

Yeah, you got me there, you are much sharper than I gave you credit for. Could you tell me again how Radford beat GW the first game of last season and how GW beat them in the playoffs, I love hearing about it.

Oh boy he has sarcasm in his repertoireI got burned again. See how I did that I do to. And it was 55-27 if I recall the second time it was 35-28 impressive right? Tradition and winning year after year after year is what sets teams apart. Win and I'll eat all the crow you got don't and I'm proven right. And here is a bit of advice ready... embrace the hate and let the butt hurt flow through you.

Best teams in west galax, gw, pm and Hurley. Not in any order. The teams that are second tier trying to be first tier narrows, fort, Chilhowie , rr, ph and Covington. If fort beats a pretty good narrows team than they would climb to 5. Fort changed some things offensively the last 2 weeks and had a good plan against galax.

I do want to say I don't think PH is the best in 1A. Galax or GW are the best I just think PH will be ranked 1 in the west.

Not going by points bc that's not always the best to see who is #1. I have seen all the best west teams and this is my order.
1. Pm
2. Hurley
3. Galax
4. Gw

Best east Team and my opinion best team playing in 1a is Riverheads

I have Patrick Henry at 5. Very close to putting them in at 4 inseam of Gw. But since they play at Gw this year I give the roons the edge

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT