ADVERTISEMENT

State Finals: Lake Taylor vs Woodgrove

Who wins?

• Woodgrove

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Lake Taylor

Votes: 46 60.5%

• Total voters
I was at the game on Saturday. They took what EV gave them. He completed 12-20 passes for 329. He connected on a couple of deep passes on Saturday and was off the mark on a couple. Since we talking about the game what about the Off PI that were never called..I understand the pick concept, but they were blatantly blocking downfield. The referee's never called it which lead to majority of EV big plays.

I was at the game on Saturday. They took what EV gave them. He completed 12-20 passes for 329. He connected on a couple of deep passes on Saturday and was off the mark on a couple. Since we talking about the game what about the Off PI that were never called..I understand the pick concept, but they were blatantly blocking downfield. The referee's never called it which lead to majority of EV big plays.
I would definitely say the refs were bad. Not what you would expect for a state semi-final. I also can't believe you play a state semi-final game on a field like that. I understand if you want to give the higher seed a home advantage, but that was pretty bad. They couldn't find a field in the vicinity that was available, and in better shape than that? It wasn't muddy or anything like that, but man it had more hills and bumps than any field I've seen for a game of that stature.

EV game planned and played very well against the Titans. They had a chance to win, but fell a bit short. A lot of teams have lost to LT the first time around. EV's experience helped, but as I said before the game EV's secondary had to play to play lights out if they went 1 v. 1. As Devils said you have to pick your poison and LT was just a bit better in the end. Great season by the Cyclones who went 2-1 on the road in the playoffs.

I find the remarks about the field conditions rather amusing as Devils has given Dinwiddie fans the business about field conditions in the past. I have repeatedly cursed your athletic director for turning the Cyclones into road warriors, so EV fans please take your frustrations out on him. @86CulpGrad, bad conditions or not why should LT move the game when they know every "bump and roll" on their grounds. Isn't that why we call it home field advantage?

This is LT's 4th trip to the finals since 2012 (2 titles). Coach Sawyer knows how to win this game and will have his young men ready. I have not seen Woodgrove play live, but this game has the makings of a very physical and low scoring game. I will take the Titans 20-14.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
EV game planned and played very well against the Titans. They had a chance to win, but fell a bit short. A lot of teams have lost to LT the first time around. EV's experience helped, but as I said before the game EV's secondary had to play to play lights out if they went 1 v. 1. As Devils said you have to pick your poison and LT was just a bit better in the end. Great season by the Cyclones who went 2-1 on the road in the playoffs.

I find the remarks about the field conditions rather amusing as Devils has given Dinwiddie fans the business about field conditions in the past. I have repeatedly cursed your athletic director for turning the Cyclones into road warriors, so EV fans please take your frustrations out on him. @86CulpGrad, bad conditions or not why should LT move the game when they know every "bump and roll" on their grounds. Isn't that why we call it home field advantage?

This is LT's 4th trip to the finals since 2012 (2 titles). Coach Sawyer knows how to win this game and will have his young men ready. I have not seen Woodgrove play live, but this game has the makings of a very physical and low scoring game. I will take the Titans 20-14.
Oh I don't blame LT at all. I'm sure they want to play on it. I would just think once you have a state-level game, the VHSL would step in and say you have to have a field that meets a certain standard. To be honest, I kind of like that type of field/stadium for a regular season game or even a regional game (I'm old and like the old-style stadiums). It just seems the final 4 should play on a decent playing surface.

Reactions: Smallfry2015

With all the saturation recently the field was not the greatest, but like I've been told both teams had to play on it. Maybe this helps move the needle in the direction for LT to get some field turf? Who knows...With the exception of the first Salem game in 2014 the finals usually have been low scoring defensive battles decided by a touchdown or less. I don't expect a runaway in this one either as Woodgrove has been controlling the clock all postseason with a HC with some championship pedigree. Remember going to the Deep Creek-Centreville game in 2000 thinking DC was going to run away with this like they did all year. Skinner had his guys prepared and they held on for dear life, but they held on.

Oh I don't blame LT at all. I'm sure they want to play on it. I would just think once you have a state-level game, the VHSL would step in and say you have to have a field that meets a certain standard. To be honest, I kind of like that type of field/stadium for a regular season game or even a regional game (I'm old and like the old-style stadiums). It just seems the final 4 should play on a decent playing surface.
So is the field the reason EV lost? Because they seemed to not be phased.

So is the field the reason EV lost? Because they seemed to not be phased.
No..not at all from my perspective. Both teams played on the same field and I didn't see any obvious issues that came about due to the field. I'm just bringing this up from an optics point of view. If the VHSL is putting this game on, I would just think they would want it to be first-class.

From what I’ve been reading,there was serious displeasure with ALL the officials across the state. The HSHS MLB was hit with unsportsmanlike conduct for hold up his fist to indicate 4th down after a tackle. That got him tossed(it’s being appealed),and it led to a Maury score. Luckily.it didn’t hurt HSHS,but it may if the appeal is denied. 4 players were sent off for knee pads not low enough. In a state semi?! Stonebridge said the same thing about their officials vs NS!

From what I’ve been reading,there was serious displeasure with ALL the officials across the state. The HSHS MLB was hit with unsportsmanlike conduct for hold up his fist to indicate 4th down after a tackle. That got him tossed(it’s being appealed),and it led to a Maury score. Luckily.it didn’t hurt HSHS,but it may if the appeal is denied. 4 players were sent off for knee pads not low enough. In a state semi?! Stonebridge said the same thing about their officials vs NS!
The officials for the LT vs. EV game were from Central VA.

Reactions: HooSprings
No..not at all from my perspective. Both teams played on the same field and I didn't see any obvious issues that came about due to the field. I'm just bringing this up from an optics point of view. If the VHSL is putting this game on, I would just think they would want it to be first-class.

@86CulpGrad, you put too much value on the VHSL. The "VHSL" is simply a governing body/entity hired by Virginia Public Schools to organize and set guidelines for a variety of school activities/competitions. I used to think the way you do, but after coaching, officiating, and working as official administrator I have come to realize its about getting the games/activities in by the assigned date and if possible, financially break even. The only venues they care about are the final or jamboree venues. Aside from expenses, the VHSL gets all of the revenue from the 12 semi finals. Why would they risk going in the red by having to pay for a venue?The member schools basically set the rules and the VHSL oversees the total operation. I know this may sound crazy, but think of the VHSL big party planner with a big, but tight budget.

Just think about all of the complaints we have heard about the poor officiating (5a vs. 5b, and 4a vs. 4b games). For the semi finals and finals, the VHSL randomly chooses an officials association and then the individual association commissioner assigns the crew (must be a registered and certified official). I can tell you no one from the "VHSL" has seen these crews work or asked for individual officials. Heck the commissioner of the chosen group can bring whoever he wants and that is often a problem. This may be a shocker, but a lot of groups reward their buddies and don't even consider the competency of the crew. You ask how can this be? Well, its because associations are not held accountable for sending bad crews. Simply put the VHSL is coordinating the event. They just want to make sure there are two teams, officials are present, they have a field to play on, a winner is determined and the checks dont bounce. Nothing more and nothing less.

@86CulpGrad, you put too much value on the VHSL. The "VHSL" is simply a governing body/entity hired by Virginia Public Schools to organize and set guidelines for a variety of school activities/competitions. I used to think the way you do, but after coaching, officiating, and working as official administrator I have come to realize its about getting the games/activities in by the assigned date and if possible, financially break even. The only venues they care about are the final or jamboree venues. Aside from expenses, the VHSL gets all of the revenue from the 12 semi finals. Why would they risk going in the red by having to pay for a venue?The member schools basically set the rules and the VHSL oversees the total operation. I know this may sound crazy, but think of the VHSL big party planner with a big, but tight budget.

Just think about all of the complaints we have heard about the poor officiating (5a vs. 5b, and 4a vs. 4b games). For the semi finals and finals, the VHSL randomly chooses an officials association and then the individual association commissioner assigns the crew (must be a registered and certified official). I can tell you no one from the "VHSL" has seen these crews work or asked for individual officials. Heck the commissioner of the chosen group can bring whoever he wants and that is often a problem. This may be a shocker, but a lot of groups reward their buddies and don't even consider the competency of the crew. You ask how can this be? Well, its because associations are not held accountable for sending bad crews. Simply put the VHSL is coordinating the event. They just want to make sure there are two teams, officials are present, they have a field to play on, a winner is determined and the checks dont bounce. Nothing more and nothing less.
That's a sad state of affairs. Do you know if most other states do it the same way?

That's a sad state of affairs. Do you know if most other states do it the same way?
I can't speak on the facility issues. I can address the officials matter for Virginia and North Carolina. Virginia is governed by individual official associations who are supposed to be governed by the VHSL. Officials who work the playoffs must pass the NHFS test with a 85% or better, take the State Rules Clinic on line and meet local board standards. In North Carolina they also take the same test; however, officials are contracted by individual schools and not districts, so I am sure there are more "homers". lol

Don't get me wrong many official associations in Virginia do a great job of training, evaluating and assigning officials, but some just do the buddy thing. One thing to remember is officials are becoming an endangered species. There are very few young people willing to put in the effort needed to become an official. Civil liability, low pay vs. time required, and poor sportsmanship (players, coaches, and fans) has become a huge deterrent for those of us who recruit new officials. The speed of the game is unreal now and some of the older officials just can't keep up. Sad part is you have to use them, because there isn't anyone waiting in line for their spot.

I can't speak on the facility issues. I can address the officials matter for Virginia and North Carolina. Virginia is governed by individual official associations who are supposed to be governed by the VHSL. Officials who work the playoffs must pass the NHFS test with a 85% or better, take the State Rules Clinic on line and meet local board standards. In North Carolina they also take the same test; however, officials are contracted by individual schools and not districts, so I am sure there are more "homers". lol

Don't get me wrong many official associations in Virginia do a great job of training, evaluating and assigning officials, but some just do the buddy thing. One thing to remember is officials are becoming an endangered species. There are very few young people willing to put in the effort needed to become an official. Civil liability, low pay vs. time required, and poor sportsmanship (players, coaches, and fans) has become a huge deterrent for those of us who recruit new officials. The speed of the game is unreal now and some of the older officials just can't keep up. Sad part is you have to use them, because there isn't anyone waiting in line for their spot.
Same thing with teachers. You better REALLY like doing it considering all the stuff you have to deal with.

I grew up loving to play, coach and now officiate sports, but I can tell you after having a heart attack this past spring while umpiring I have really thought long and hard about things. I basically spend 9 months out of the year training, studying, attending clinics/camps, and officiating. I am only 53 and would not trade it for the world, but sports (playing and officiating) have basically wrecked my body. I have put more on emphasis on my fitness; however, there is very little I can do reverse the damage. lol. With that being said my physical health has not really been a factor regarding my decision to continue officiating. My patience and tolerance for people who think a $7.00 ticket grants them permission to constantly berate a man for 2 hours is their right has grown very thin. This "part of the "job" has basically turned a hobby which is supposed to be fun into a dreaded affair and one that causes undeserved stress on the old ticker.

With that being said I ask you to think about the guys in the stripes you are yelling at. Most want to get every call right and beat themselves up when they don't. For once leave the negativity at home and tell an official you appreciate what they do. By doing so you may influence some young kid who is listening to get involved.

EV, had the game won if they did not have the bad snap on fourth and inches. There was less than 3 minutes to go in the game and Lake Taylor was down to its last timeout. If EV did not have that bad snap the game was over. Give credit to Lake Taylor they made the plays to win the game. After the LT score. EV with 1:03 left to play drove 88yards to the LT 12 yard line. With 8 seconds left EV could not complete the pass in the end zone to win the game.

EV, had the game won if they did not have the bad snap on fourth and inches. There was less than 3 minutes to go in the game and Lake Taylor was down to its last timeout. If EV did not have that bad snap the game was over. Give credit to Lake Taylor they made the plays to win the game. After the LT score. EV with 1:03 left to play drove 88yards to the LT 12 yard line. With 8 seconds left EV could not complete the pass in the end zone to win the game.
Couple of things...

Lake Taylor stopped EV on 4th and short earlier in the game, so to assume they were going to get the first down is naive. Also #8 was in the backfield so he would have also had to beat him for the first down.

Eastern View didn't drive 88 yards that would've meant they started from the 0 yard line. They started on the 32 yard line. Inc, PI, Inc, +22 on a tackle where the kid made a great job not going down, +12 on a jump ball when QB arm was hit, spike, +8, Inc, Inc (game over) More like 57 yards with 15 coming on a PI.

Couple of things...

Lake Taylor stopped EV on 4th and short earlier in the game, so to assume they were going to get the first down is naive. Also #8 was in the backfield so he would have also had to beat him for the first down.

Eastern View didn't drive 88 yards that would've meant they started from the 0 yard line. They started on the 32 yard line. Inc, PI, Inc, +22 on a tackle where the kid made a great job not going down, +12 on a jump ball when QB arm was hit, spike, +8, Inc, Inc (game over) More like 57 yards with 15 coming on a PI.
Doesn't really matter now. You can say they had 2 chances to win the game. Didn't happen. All you do now is be glad you had the chance and try to do it again.

@DEVILSLB99 Was that the normal announcer for LT? It sounded like the announcer who did the announcing at William and Mary for the state championships

@DEVILSLB99 Was that the normal announcer for LT? It sounded like the announcer who did the announcing at William and Mary for the state championships
That is Mr. Bill Nettles who does big games at LT football and basketball when he's not at his normal announcing gig at Todd Stadium. He did the W&M games the last couple of years and will be at Liberty this weekend.

Reactions: OCBoy
Woodgrove was beaten by Massaponax pretty sound in the beginning of the season. Massaponax runs an option style offense and Woodgrove couldn’t stop it at all. Hopefully this isn’t a blow out and Coach Skinner is more prepared.

Seems Devils is way invested in his old school, hmmm . Time to be recruiting for his new school! ... just kidding Devils , you never lose love for where you been.

Seems Devils is way invested in his old school, hmmm . Time to be recruiting for his new school! ... just kidding Devils , you never lose love for where you been.
You're good..At the end of the day I taught a lot of those kids in MS and coached them in HS before I left, so yes you could say that I am invested. Coach Sawyer has been great to me and my family and the main reason I even stepped out and took the job I have because I wasn't going to apply. I root for them in every game except for when they play us!!

My biggest recruiting I have done since I've been here is recruiting my own kids walking around the building. A lot of them were bolting to IC Norcom, Western Branch, and anywhere else so I would say the turn around in programs around here has been because we are keeping our kids home.

You're good..At the end of the day I taught a lot of those kids in MS and coached them in HS before I left, so yes you could say that I am invested. Coach Sawyer has been great to me and my family and the main reason I even stepped out and took the job I have because I wasn't going to apply. I root for them in every game except for when they play us!!

My biggest recruiting I have done since I've been here is recruiting my own kids walking around the building. A lot of them were bolting to IC Norcom, Western Branch, and anywhere else so I would say the turn around in programs around here has been because we are keeping our kids home.
Since you were there, answer a question for me. Why in the world does the AD/coach let the players do what they do at midfield during warmups? Pretty disgraceful. It’s not even like it’s intimidating it’s so vial.

Since you were there, answer a question for me. Why in the world does the AD/coach let the players do what they do at midfield during warmups? Pretty disgraceful. It’s not even like it’s intimidating it’s so vial.
Where you on the field or watching from the stands? Again like I said earlier in the week it’s not about the other team it’s more so to get themselves hype. Phoebus does the same thing.

Where you on the field or watching from the stands? Again like I said earlier in the week it’s not about the other team it’s more so to get themselves hype. Phoebus does the same thing.
That makes it ok? Doesn’t matter who it’s about or who else does it. It’s ridiculous. Calling specific players out by name and cursing them is pitiful. Coaches allowing it is worse. Talking smack during the game is one thing. What they do has no place.

Reactions: falcettik and OCBoy
That makes it ok? Doesn’t matter who it’s about or who else does it. It’s ridiculous. Calling specific players out by name and cursing them is pitiful. Coaches allowing it is worse. Talking smack during the game is one thing. What they do has no place.
I have never heard them call players out by names when I was there. So they did research and looked kids names up to curse them? I know they talked amongst themselves and had different sayings before games to get hype. If you feel a way take it up with someone that can do something about it.

Last edited:
I have never heard them call players out by names when I was there. So they did research and looked kids names up to curse them? I know they talked amongst themselves and had different sayings before games to get hype. If you feel a way take it up with someone that can do something about it.
I’m pretty sure it’s being addressed

No sarcasm intended
@86CulpGrad is Emmitt your burner account? You out here pulling a Brian Coangelo?

giphy.gif

Last edited:
@86CulpGrad is Timmy your burner account? You out here pulling a Brian Coangelo?

giphy.gif
Timmy? I guess I'm too old to get that. Not sure who that guy is, but I was at that game and he is correct that the pre-game actions were bad. I just chimed in to say that I didn't see any sarcasm, and I'm a sarcastic SOB.

Timmy? I guess I'm too old to get that. Not sure who that guy is, but I was at that game and he is correct that the pre-game actions were bad. I just chimed in to say that I didn't see any sarcasm, and I'm a sarcastic SOB.
Ok...It's one of these things where in your eyes its all bad, but down here its nothing. I'm sure you would never understand it. That's commonplace in this part of the state, but you don't know that. No one is sitting quiet around here counting stretches off. There's a gamemanship quality and certain swagger that teams down here have. Everything from the warmups to the entrance is for a reason. If they were 0-10 I doubt any of this happens, but they are there every year. Been all over the state and you don't have to like what you see or hear, but its happening.

Now with all this being said...I'm finished with this topic and want to focus on the real reason for the thread. Two quality teams battling for a state title.

Reactions: one man
Man EV should be ashamed of themselves letting a weak link throw for over 300 yards. Granted it wasn't his best day running the option, but it had a lot to do with how EV defended it. You have been down on LT the whole time so your pick is expected. Great season by the EV team and coaches they played their hearts out.
Jeff Foster is a good qb that has led the titans to comebacks against Phoebus and Eastern View. Two quality teams. Foster is not a weak link at all and I don't understand the logic behind that statement.

Woodgrove needs to eliminate the penalties and special teams miscues of last week if they are going to win the State Title!

They also need to get better this week at wrapping up ball carriers and tackling them quickly.
Woodgrove D missed too many open field tackles last week.

Latest weather forecast for Liberty says mid 30s with no precipitation currently.

Jeff Foster is a good qb that has led the titans to comebacks against Phoebus and Eastern View. Two quality teams. Foster is not a weak link at all and I don't understand the logic behind that statement.
It was amazing watching Foster throw for 300yds Saturday from under center. I believe that he is on track to become LT's best quarterback ever by the time he graduates.

Reactions: OCBoy
It was amazing watching Foster throw for 300yds Saturday from under center. I believe that he is on track to become LT's best quarterback ever by the time he graduates.
Only a sophomore like Newton. Great future there at LT. At our game a lot of pre game chatter/talk and action too but no one really cared and it was a nice pre game diversion sitting in the cold. I actually wish we stayed in class 4 to get a rematch even if unsuccessful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT