ADVERTISEMENT

State of Hermitage Football

I saw Hermitage during weekly 7 v 7 sessions against Dinwiddie. Lacked organization like never before. No team unity being displayed. Honestly, it looked like a pick up team with darn good talent.

Kids love structure, nurturing and discipline. Thats why you see the downfall. It no longer exist and it will get worse.

The only question now is "how much will the Hermitage Administration compound their mistake by making excuses and not taking action?"

Here's something to think about referencing what you said... How many great or legendary coaches have been succeeded by a successful coach?

Irby replaced Marshall Parker at Hopewell and has done well.
Tucker replaced Vic Williams at Thomas Dale and has done well.

Patrick Henry still has not found anyone that comes close to Ray Long.
Petersburg has never found anyone that came close to Norman Jenkins.

Here's something to think about too...

What happens in your neck of the woods when Mills is no longer at Dinwiddie?
Or when Loren Johnson is no longer at Highland Springs?
Honestly, coaching in high school is way under appreciated. Hardly any juggernaut school keeps it going through a coaching change. And to do it through three or more is almost unheard of.

Honestly, any parent that goes to a Henrico County School Board member to complain about the Hermitage football coach is an idiot. Turpin can hire whoever he wants. If that parent wants to complain about Turpin, at least that is logical, although I imagine that would get laughed out of the room because there’s MORE to that job than hiring a FB coach.
What's the school board member supposed to say? "You're right. Hermitage should be beating the other county schools?"
Some teams in the county are going to be good, others are not. Guess it's Hermitage's turn.

What's the school board member supposed to say? "You're right. Hermitage should be beating the other county schools?"
Some teams in the county are going to be good, others are not. Guess it's Hermitage's turn.
...and if the truth is to be told, sometimes when somebody makes a bad decision, you have to live with it and deal with the hand you've been dealt! If there is a change to be made, it might come from the coach long before it happens from the school or the school board!! He could be a fantastic classroom teacher! Who knows? Sometimes growing pains can be painful!

Reactions: gwb16 and WP02alum
...and if the truth is to be told, sometimes when somebody makes a bad decision, you have to live with it and deal with the hand you've been dealt! If there is a change to be made, it might come from the coach long before it happens from the school or the school board!! He could be a fantastic classroom teacher! Who knows? Sometimes growing pains can be painful!

I think the fall from grace that Hermitage is undergoing speaks to how great and underappreciated Coach Kane was... To come in and turn that program around and then leave it free falls... That's all about coaching.

Honestly, coaching in high school is way under appreciated. Hardly any juggernaut school keeps it going through a coaching change. And to do it through three or more is almost unheard of.

But this mistake could have been prevented by Hermitage hiring someone, with tenure, from WITHIN. Not an outsider with NO connection to the most recent success that the program has experienced.

But this mistake could have been prevented by Hermitage hiring someone, with tenure, from WITHIN. Not an outsider with NO connection to the most recent success that the program has experienced.
Not necessarily. Hiring assistants to great coaches is a miserable failure more often tha you would think.

Just remember Kane had no ties to Hermitage when he arrived. He didn't have a winning record either. That is not to say Coach Johnson is going to turn this thing around. Just arguing Kane was an outsider with no connection or success either.

Bigger question for me is out of all the applicants, what stood out about Coach Johnson...

Just remember Kane had no ties to Hermitage when he arrived. He didn't have a winning record either. That is not to say Coach Johnson is going to turn this thing around. Just arguing Kane was an outsider with no connection or success either.

Bigger question for me is out of all the applicants, what stood out about Coach Johnson...
M question too. I would assume the job got lots of interest. I would love to know what area coaches applied and got denied - but realize that will never happen. It has to be one of the top three jobs in the RVA area.

Reactions: mbonape1
M question too. I would assume the job got lots of interest. I would love to know what area coaches applied and got denied - but realize that will never happen. It has to be one of the top three jobs in the RVA area.

Not just here but in the state as well....

Reactions: mbonape1

but no coach builds and sustains greatness alone. Was there no one on his staff that could take his place while keeping that staff in tact?

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Or was.

Tonights game sums up better than words just how ridiculous things are. Hermitage fans are excited for 1 TD (only took 12 quarters to get) and celebrating "only" getting beaten by 30 points. Hermitage.....we are talking about Hermitage! 1 TD a 30 point loss, and it's a celebration.....at Hermitage. It almost doesn't seem real.

Tonights game sums up better than words just how ridiculous things are. Hermitage fans are excited for 1 TD (only took 12 quarters to get) and celebrating "only" getting beaten by 30 points. Hermitage.....we are talking about Hermitage! 1 TD a 30 point loss, and it's a celebration.....at Hermitage. It almost doesn't seem real.

But would you agree that at least they battled tonight? It is one thing to just be young and outmatched... theoretically one could deal with that. It is the disorganization and lack of effort that is NEVER acceptable. Was it more of the same or was the effort better?

found out that Dale's starting qb was injured so...

Jasiah Williams was the second string quarterback, the first string QB was injured during the scrimmage/benefit game against Highland Springs. Now Dale is down to their third string QB and they lost Rick D'Abreu last night to a leg injury. Rick has previously committed to JMU. Hope he is able to return this year.

Jasiah Williams was the second string quarterback, the first string QB was injured during the scrimmage/benefit game against Highland Springs. Now Dale is down to their third string QB and they lost Rick D'Abreu last night to a leg injury. Rick has previously committed to JMU. Hope he is able to return this year.

What was DAbreu’s actual injury?

Not pertaining to Hermitage football... But up north, there is something going on at Lake Braddock HS! A typically strong football program up there took a big one yesterday against Stone Bridge to the tune of 70-3! This is really an unusual loss to LB! What the heck is going on up there?
You know how it is, we hear almost nothing about the inside scoop on NOVA schools. But, my guess is very few up there have a clue about the Hermitage saga. But LB losing by that score is definitely news.

You know how it is, we hear almost nothing about the inside scoop on NOVA schools. But, my guess is very few up there have a clue about the Hermitage saga. But LB losing by that score is definitely news.
Google and twitter are your friends
long time Fb coach retired
principal resigned amidst a federal investigation of sexual harassment complaints against BB coach
new principal appoints new FB coach

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Granted SB has a dynamite program of their own and are fielding a damned good team this year. Lake Braddock is typically more competitive than that!

Google and twitter are your friends
long time Fb coach retired
principal resigned amidst a federal investigation of sexual harassment complaints against BB coach
new principal appoints new FB coach
Wow, no kidding? What a mess.

Reactions: springer76
We always want to talk about the kids that screw up, but at least they have the excuse of being kids.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT