ADVERTISEMENT

State of Hermitage Football

...but for Manchester to start out on a game just before playoffs beginning, playing down to their opponent and try bot to score too much? That's ridiculous! For Manchester's sake, they did what they are supposed to do! That's go out and play the way they have been playing all year.
You let your starters and 1st string rotations go out there and do what they do. If you score a bunch of points, so be it! You allow them to play the 1st half. Pull them in the 2nd half and play the others. This game was stopped by weather thankfully before they scored 100 points. HS's varsity could have scored 100 too if we had played our starters longe. Same sort of thing happened with HS's jv. Beating Class 6 Riverbend 94-0. They basically stopped playing late in the 4th in order to NOT score 100 points. It could have been 140 if they kept on!
I don't't think Manchester did anything wrong.
Good luck to Hermitage next year in the future. I'm sure HSHS will not play them next year. They hurt us more this year than in any other year for power points and seedings.

I respect your opinion but I guess we just disagree on this one. Beating a group of 14-15yr olds by 94-0... I’m out on that one

Reactions: OCBoy
Sometimes things like this are not quite like what they seem. I recall a game a few years ago where Team A returned a fumble for a TD, returned a punt for a TD, had a pick 6, and returned a fumble on kickoff for a TD, all this without their offense running a single play.

I respect your opinion but I guess we just disagree on this one. Beating a group of 14-15yr olds by 94-0... I’m out on that one
Our kids are the same age... and we didn't beat them with sticks and stones or fists! We played football and nobody got hurt! Maybe those kids at Riverbend learned where they really are competitively and where they need to go in order to be at the level of HSHS! (if that's where they want to be). The same for Hermitage HS's varsity! They were at the top of their game for years and now they aren't! This new coaching staff at Hermitage has a long way to go and they need to make some changes in order to get there again. What happened to them this year getting beat 67-0, 68-0 and 70-0 in 2 quarters should be part of their learning curve. I assume nobody got hurt Friday night against Manchester too, right?

Reactions: CHUKNOW
Our kids are the same age... and we didn't beat them with sticks and stones or fists! We played football and nobody got hurt! Maybe those kids at Riverbend learned where they really are competitively and where they need to go in order to be at the level of HSHS! (if that's where they want to be). The same for Hermitage HS's varsity! They were at the top of their game for years and now they aren't! This new coaching staff at Hermitage has a long way to go and they need to make some changes in order to get there again. What happened to them this year getting beat 67-0, 68-0 and 70-0 in 2 quarters should be part of their learning curve. I assume nobody got hurt Friday night against Manchester too, right?

According to the Hermitage football Facebook page a few of them did get hurt. There nightmare of a season ended almost poetically with the biggest strongest team in the area beating the brakes off of them in a thunderstorm with lightning striking. Only thing missing was the cemetery. So HSHS JV team scored 94 points on Riverbend for the greater good of the riverbend players learning curve? My God, They deserve a humanitarian award. That wasn’t blatantly obvious at 50-0? Even if you accidentally scored 4 more TD’s that would still be 78-0. I am telling we are lucky the game was called. Manchester could have scored another 40 points by sneezing. This could have been national news. They would have scored over 100 points. Anyways let’s just agree to disagree, we both obviously are solid in our positions. And to your credit Springs Varsity has done a great job not rubbing everyone’s nose in the ground. Coach has a lot of class! Good luck this week against Varina. Time to start that thread!

Reactions: SportsJunkie32
According to the Hermitage football Facebook page a few of them did get hurt. There nightmare of a season ended almost poetically with the biggest strongest team in the area beating the brakes off of them in a thunderstorm with lightning striking. Only thing missing was the cemetery. So HSHS JV team scored 94 points on Riverbend for the greater good of the riverbend players learning curve? My God, They deserve a humanitarian award. That wasn’t blatantly obvious at 50-0? Even if you accidentally scored 4 more TD’s that would still be 78-0. I am telling we are lucky the game was called. Manchester could have scored another 40 points by sneezing. This could have been national news. They would have scored over 100 points. Anyways let’s just agree to disagree, we both obviously are solid in our positions. And to your credit Springs Varsity has done a great job not rubbing everyone’s nose in the ground. Coach has a lot of class! Good luck this week against Varina. Time to start that thread!
Thanks mbonape 1. I understand your stand and I do agree with the Manchester vs Hermitage thing. I think if Hermitage was in such bad shape (ie., suspensions, injuries, etc) maybe they should have forfeited the game instead of the beat down that everybody knew was coming ! I don't mean everybody knew it was going to be 70-0 in the 2nd qtr., but knew they were going to get destroyed quickly!
HS's jv game vs Riverbend... it was 78-0 at the end of the 3rd qtr. RB kept throwing the ball up and HS intercepted just about every throw near the end and returned them for tds.... after it hit 94- everybody just kind of stood around with about 5 minutes left in the game and allowed the time to run out. The officials allowed it too. The thing about this game was, it wasn't a small city school with 300 students... it was a class 6 school!

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1
...but for Manchester to start out on a game just before playoffs beginning, playing down to their opponent and try bot to score too much? That's ridiculous! For Manchester's sake, they did what they are supposed to do! That's go out and play the way they have been playing all year.
You let your starters and 1st string rotations go out there and do what they do. If you score a bunch of points, so be it! You allow them to play the 1st half. Pull them in the 2nd half and play the others. This game was stopped by weather thankfully before they scored 100 points. HS's varsity could have scored 100 too if we had played our starters longe. Same sort of thing happened with HS's jv. Beating Class 6 Riverbend 94-0. They basically stopped playing late in the 4th in order to NOT score 100 points. It could have been 140 if they kept on!
I don't't think Manchester did anything wrong.
Good luck to Hermitage next year in the future. I'm sure HSHS will not play them next year. They hurt us more this year than in any other year for power points and seedings.

I am curious to see where Hermitage goes from here. You elude to them likely not being on the schedule but you never know what is going to happen with teams when you schedule them out... I don't think Varina thought Meadowbrook or Hermitage would be as bad as they are this season when they scheduled these matchups.

I am enjoying this season immensely but it will be interesting to see how schedules are made going forward with the new cycle coming up and teams realizing it is better for them to play schools similiar in class. For the Dominion it will be interesting too given they will play 9 district games and only have room for 1 out-of-district game.

Last year the Panthers gave up 149 points in 13 games, this year they have given up 135 points in 2 games!
I am curious to see where Hermitage goes from here. You elude to them likely not being on the schedule but you never know what is going to happen with teams when you schedule them out... I don't think Varina thought Meadowbrook or Hermitage would be as bad as they are this season when they scheduled these matchups.

I am enjoying this season immensely but it will be interesting to see how schedules are made going forward with the new cycle coming up and teams realizing it is better for them to play schools similiar in class. For the Dominion it will be interesting too given they will play 9 district games and only have room for 1 out-of-district game.
I know HS has been examining other out of district games for next season, who they are, I don't know. I do know they want tough competition! We'll see!

You mean replacing some of who they play now out-of-district or dropping more district opponents?
Really don't know, what I do know is... Herm, MBK and Riverbend are all under performing out of district.
Lee Davis, Patrick Henry and Hanover aren't much either and class 4.
So what do you do?
I don't know! I know they want a tougher schedule! I'm pretty sure there will at least be some changes in the schedule. I'd be very surprised if if stays the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1
Really don't know, what I do know is... Herm, MBK and Riverbend are all under performing out of district.
Lee Davis, Patrick Henry and Hanover aren't much either and class 4.
So what do you do?
I don't know! I know they want a tougher schedule! I'm pretty sure there will at least be some changes in the schedule. I'd be very surprised if if stays the same.

The Springers don't have a long history with Hanover, they just opened in 2003. The series with Lee-Davis goes back to the 60's, be a shame to see that series go by the wayside but then again, the Confederates haven't really been competitive in recent years in the series.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT