ADVERTISEMENT

State of Hermitage Football

Google and twitter are your friends
long time Fb coach retired
principal resigned amidst a federal investigation of sexual harassment complaints against BB coach
new principal appoints new FB coach
"long time football coach retired" - from what I have heard, not willingly. He was caught up in the BB coach issue. The new coach they hired came from WT Woodson, where he had a mediocre record, and from what I have seen he and his staff have not improved much. The LB program has always been decent but has struggled to break through to the big time games ever since Michael Nebrich led them to the state semi-final in 2010.

I’ve seen the talk on here so I will provide my scoop. I’ve heard from some reliable and respected sources that Herm was due for a down year. Their JV team was blown out by Springs and beaten soundly by Varina last year and a good number of those same kids are starting on varsity this year. Herm being weaker than Henrico, HS and Varina was predicted last year before Herm even made the hire, before Kane even resigned. Now I’m not saying 67-0 and 68-0 was predicted but Herm had garnered the reputation that if you stop CJ Jackson this year, you win ..The transfers didn’t help matters. I know for a fact that Herm’s principal Mr. Turpin is a man of character and integrity so you have to trust that this hire matches those values. Give the guy some time before he’s run off of Hungary Springs.

Turpin is legit. Glad someone else said that on here.
Turpin is an honorable man and does what’s in the students’ best interest. It’s not always about wins and losses.. I want a coach that is molding young men for success. Give the Coach some time. Let’s not act like Herm was the most disciplined team in the past. You’d think the man was a crook after reading some of these comments.

Not pertaining to Hermitage football... But up north, there is something going on at Lake Braddock HS! A typically strong football program up there took a big one yesterday against Stone Bridge to the tune of 70-3! This is really an unusual loss to LB! What the heck is going on up there?
Is it something going on at Braddock or is Stone Bridge that good? Braddock isn’t a bad team the bulldogs are just on a collision course with highland springs. Stone Bridge is real good btw

Is it something going on at Braddock or is Stone Bridge that good? Braddock isn’t a bad team the bulldogs are just on a collision course with highland springs. Stone Bridge is real good btw
Stone Bridge is a top tier team every year. Fantastic program going on there. I'm not saying it was unusual for Lake Braddock to lose to them, it is the lopsided score that is unusual. LB is usually good too. But from what has already been said in this thread,it kind of puts a finger on it.

Tonight Hermitage lost to Mills Godwin for the first time since 2006. Feel bad for kids they are playing their hearts out. Hate to see this happen to one of teams that helped elevate the status of Class 5 football in RVA to the best region in the state. Hope the Panthers return to the fray soon.

I would like to see the ol QB(Jameel Sewell)who went on to UVA get involved with the program, guys that can relate to the kids and have a good reputation in the community. Understands what it takes to play at a high level....

But would he or Herm be interested...
(Don't know him so definitely not speaking for anyone, just a little board speculation!!!)

Reactions: LancerDad
Does anyone know if there is an "official" VHSL Mercy Rule; or do they leave it up to the two schools to come to an agreement?

Does anyone know if there is an "official" VHSL Mercy Rule; or do they leave it up to the two schools to come to an agreement?

Why on earth would they do that to a 1-8 football team? That just got their coach suspended and players suspended the week before???? 70-0 and they didn't even finish the 2nd quarter. I am sure some people will take issue with my stance on this but that is absolutely ridiculous. Ironically, they finish with George Wythe next week. Maybe they can score 100 if mother nature doesn't spoil the party.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
I don't usually believe in laying down or taking it easy if a team cant stop you, but 70 points in 18 minutes. Really? What goes around comes around. Feel bad for the Hermitage kids. Their administration needs to look in the mirror. They have wrecked a once proud program.

@mbonape1, tough loss last night bossman. Shocked the heck out of me. Cant quit playing for win. One half aint gonna do it in the playoffs.

Hopefully you saw my rant on the other thread Midlo vs Monacan on the 4a board. I won't make you suffer twice. We have been flirting with it all season and it happened. You won't the only one shocked. Sad thing is you could see it happening almost in slow motion. You could just tell it was going to happen. No choice now but to buck up, man up, and toe the line.

True! The funny thing is: Everybody loved Scott Burton, he was a good coach. Couldn't win the "big games" though! When Johnson came, first year, the team was very talented! Lots of the Springer faithful weren't real happy with his style. His staff changed yearly, some leaving for other Head Coaching jobs. When this current staff was assembled and EVERYBODY started to buy into his system, it all changed! Now, this staff is as tight as any I've ever seen. Not only football will do for these kids. They are all actively involved with their studies, their moral compasses, manners and grooming them to be above average MEN in this crazy world we live in today! Not to mention the Community involvement that is taking place too! I have heard Coach Johnson say, "I am from Miami Florida, but Highland Springs is my home. I love it here!"
Myself and our community have grown to love and respect this man and his staff! The are 1st Class citizens and we all want them all right here at home!
I AGREE

Why on earth would they do that to a 1-8 football team? That just got their coach suspended and players suspended the week before???? 70-0 and they didn't even finish the 2nd quarter. I am sure some people will take issue with my stance on this but that is absolutely ridiculous. Ironically, they finish with George Wythe next week. Maybe they can score 100 if mother nature doesn't spoil the party.

Well keep in mind they did put in the backup quarterback plus some of those touchdowns came off of turnovers. I'm sure if they had played the whole game they would have had the third string in by the fourth quarter.

Folks are saying over in the Scoreboard Thread that a game has to go to halftime to be considered a game.
Is that true?

Folks are saying over in the Scoreboard Thread that a game has to go to halftime to be considered a game.
Is that true?

I just went through the VHSL handbook football section twice and do not see any reference to this. I have reached out to a friend at the VHSL for clarification.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
They said on the news last night during the high school football segment, that the game was stopped due to lightning.
all the games in the West End were stopped due to lightning but the rest were continued

I just went through the VHSL handbook football section twice and do not see any reference to this. I have reached out to a friend at the VHSL for clarification.

I posted this question on the Ask the Officials thread. Let's follow that and see what the rules state.

Ending a game early question.
Discussion in 'ASK THE OFFICIALS - ALL SPORTS' started by DinwiddieProud, 2 minutes ago.

Unwatch Thread
Post New Thread

1. DinwiddieProudVaPreps All Region
    Gold Member

Ref: Manchester 70, Hermitage 0 with six minutes to go in the first half. The game is haunted due to lightning.

It was then announced that the game was over, and would not be resumed.

What are the NFHS rules that allow this?

I posted this question on the Ask the Officials thread. Let's follow that and see what the rules state.

Ending a game early question.
Discussion in 'ASK THE OFFICIALS - ALL SPORTS' started by DinwiddieProud, 2 minutes ago.

Unwatch Thread
Post New Thread

1. DinwiddieProudVaPreps All Region
    Gold Member

Ref: Manchester 70, Hermitage 0 with six minutes to go in the first half. The game is haunted due to lightning.

It was then announced that the game was over, and would not be resumed.

What are the NFHS rules that allow this?
I know what time of year this is but did you really mean "haunted". :eek::rolleyes::cool:

Last edited:
LOL, you know I meant halted, but for Hermitage, it was probably a very haunted night!
Thank you. I usually proofread better than that.

Reactions: 1Gensfan

If you are up by 28 against a 1 win ball club the very bottom of your bench should be in. You can sprinkle in the 2nd team here and there. Manchester’s second team would start for most teams in the region. It’s pretty tone deaf to have a team made up of all stars beat the crap out of a team that is wounded, had players suspended, missing their coach, has a ton of player transfer out, and on top of it all a 1 win ball club during a monsoon. I heard a few Hermitage players were hurt as well during the game. We are are talking 70-0 with 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter!!! They were easily going to score 100pts. If it was the 3rd team already in then you just take a knee on every down on offense. Just my opinion but that is outrageous! I would be in favor of if you are down by 35-42 pts the game is automatically over regardless of what quarter it is. I love my fellow Dominion district rivals and will be rooting for Manchester in the playofffs but I can’t stand behind them on that one. THANK GOD FOR THE LIGHTNING BOLT!

If you are up by 28 against a 1 win ball club the very bottom of your bench should be in. You can sprinkle in the 2nd team here and there. Manchester’s second team would start for most teams in the region. It’s pretty tone deaf to have a team made up of all stars beat the crap out of a team that is wounded, had players suspended, missing their coach, has a ton of player transfer out, and on top of it all a 1 win ball club during a monsoon. I heard a few Hermitage players were hurt as well during the game. We are are talking 70-0 with 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter!!! They were easily going to score 100pts. If it was the 3rd team already in then you just take a knee on every down on offense. Just my opinion but that is outrageous! I would be in favor of if you are down by 35-42 pts the game is automatically over regardless of what quarter it is. I love my fellow Dominion district rivals and will be rooting for Manchester in the playofffs but I can’t stand behind them on that one. THANK GOD FOR THE LIGHTNING BOLT!
so it is all on the good team to make a game of it - good to know!
BTW:
where were you when I needed you
when Herm and other were beating down the City teams?

so it is all on the good team to make a game of it - good to know!
BTW:
where were you when I needed you
when Herm and other were beating down the City teams?

Now that is not fair, I said it is up to them to not be tone deaf and know what overkill is. Come on now... Most of those Hermitage kids weren't even on the teams that beat the city schools. We are taking 70-0 mid 2nd quarter, not the end of the game. I don't think that GW and the other schools in the city should be playing Springs etc and I have said that on numerous occasions. Hermitage actually dropped one of the city schools off their schedule. Your position is to just let them steam roll and if you can't stop them you can't stop them?

Now that is not fair, I said it is up to them to not be tone deaf and know what overkill is. Come on now... Most of those Hermitage kids weren't even on the teams that beat the city schools. We are taking 70-0 mid 2nd quarter, not the end of the game. I don't think that GW and the other schools in the city should be playing Springs etc and I have said that on numerous occasions. Hermitage actually dropped one of the city schools off their schedule. Your position is to just let them steam roll and if you can't stop them you can't stop them?
...but for Manchester to start out on a game just before playoffs beginning, playing down to their opponent and try bot to score too much? That's ridiculous! For Manchester's sake, they did what they are supposed to do! That's go out and play the way they have been playing all year.
You let your starters and 1st string rotations go out there and do what they do. If you score a bunch of points, so be it! You allow them to play the 1st half. Pull them in the 2nd half and play the others. This game was stopped by weather thankfully before they scored 100 points. HS's varsity could have scored 100 too if we had played our starters longe. Same sort of thing happened with HS's jv. Beating Class 6 Riverbend 94-0. They basically stopped playing late in the 4th in order to NOT score 100 points. It could have been 140 if they kept on!
I don't't think Manchester did anything wrong.
Good luck to Hermitage next year in the future. I'm sure HSHS will not play them next year. They hurt us more this year than in any other year for power points and seedings.

Reactions: mbonape1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT