ADVERTISEMENT

Streaks

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
Here is a list of the longest current streaks in the VHSL making various levels of the playoffs (it has not been updated since last season, but I will update it when season is over, but here's a quick update):

Giles is the only team with a chance to put together back to back undefeated seasons, with all of the other teams who finished as undefeated state champs last year having lost this season.

Bird can still extend their streak of state titles to 3, Centreville, Giles, Altavista and Northside are still all alive to get their streaks to 2. Dinwiddie is out.

James Monroe with one more win would be the state leader at 4 straight Final Four appearances.

Oscar Smith has crazily enough now made 11 straight elite 8's.

Bird 16 straight seasons in the Sweet 16 which is also the current lead for playoff appearances.

Salem has passed Powell Valley for the #3 position for most playoff success. Only Hampton and Gate City has more (Kind of unfair to Powell Valley since the school is no longer in existence). Hampton dominates this so much that no one could catch them in the is category unless they won the next three state titles and only Gate City, Salem and Lunenburg could do that. A win by James Monroe this week would vault them into the top ten list, This would also happen for Giles. Bird and Nottoway wouldhave to win twice to make any further climb on the ratings. They are currently tied for 18th and could pass Martinsville for 17th if they could advance to state finals. A win by Richlands this week would pop them up near the top 20. Other teams will move up lots of places with every win in the playoffs, but probably not high enough to be noticed as all time great programs in my list. I think Bird and Courtland being in the top 20 is pretty impressive since they opened well after the VHSL started the playoffs so had fewer years to rack up their playoff success.

That list is here

This post was edited on 11/22 6:30 AM by GilliamRatings

This post was edited on 11/22 6:31 AM by GilliamRatings

This post was edited on 11/22 6:32 AM by GilliamRatings

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT