ADVERTISEMENT

Union vs Clarke County

Really? You are the second biggest tool I have ever seen on here Pioneer101. I don't even care who wins and your annoying the crap out of me. Get a freaking life and let the teams fans discuss this game. I think by now every person understands your dislike and overall hatred of Clarke. You have expressed yourself about 10 times already so everyone gets. Now, bye Felicia!!!!

What's everybody's thoughts
Dunno. Just happy as hell right now, getting my voice back. Clarke's never made it this far, lotsa folks don't think they can handle the West. I've never seen Union play, I know squat how to analyze teams. Just looking forward to hosting a state semifinal game and hope that Clarke beats Union.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Pioneer101, with all this time on your hands, maybe you can tool back over to the 4A forum and perhaps start a thread along the line of "If Millbrook had any sort of passing game, would it have still lost to Woodgrove, Sherando and Jefferson Forest?"

Reactions: CLASS OF 80 EAGLE
No hatred for Clarke or anyone for that matter. I can just appreciate how other schools seem to have the community behind them, bands included and Clarke is the exact opposite.

My post above is a solid statement on what Clarke should hope for.

Should see 2 different styles of play based off what I have researched and read.
Clarke--single wing
Union--spread with some dead T (based off a thread which I read last week)
I would think clarke wants a game like last week where they can beat and bang and union will want to get the ball to their athletes in space.....and I'm not implying that Union doesn't want to beat and bang either.

Just my take.

No hatred for Clarke or anyone for that matter. I can just appreciate how other schools seem to have the community behind them, bands included and Clarke is the exact opposite.

My post above is a solid statement on what Clarke should hope for.

It doesn't matter if there is one person in the stand, the game is about the players on the field and the game being played.

With that being said, this is a game of two different styles of football, Union appears to want to pass the ball around and get their athletes into space; while Clarke will try and pound the ball for four quarters. I see Clarke winning by two scores.

Should see 2 different styles of play based off what I have researched and read.
Clarke--single wing
Union--spread with some dead T (based off a thread which I read last week)
I would think clarke wants a game like last week where they can beat and bang and union will want to get the ball to their athletes in space.....and I'm not implying that Union doesn't want to beat and bang either.

Just my take.
Don't know much about Union but Clarke runs the single wing which can be difficult to prepare since few teams run it. Still, Clarke hasn't faced a prolific pass offense this year. Union QB Bryce Spears was 19 of 21 for 185 yards and a touchdown (also ran 65 yards for a score) against defending state champ Glenvar in last week's 28-27 win. With that being said Lee was averaging 39 points per game and the Eagles pitched a shutout with the help of two forced fumbles in the red zone and just 168 yards from scrimmage (with Lee averaging over 400 per game). At this level everybody has a good offense but defense can be the difference. Clarke allows 8 points per game. Should be a good close game.

Reactions: James_Dalton22
Yea I see Union winning as well, I like Travis Turner's experience in big games, either as a player or coach, 3 state titles as a player in his Appy days and I think he takes Union to their first State Championship appearance.

Reactions: OCBoy
Don't know much about Union but Clarke runs the single wing which can be difficult to prepare since few teams run it. Still, Clarke hasn't faced a prolific pass offense this year. Union QB Bryce Spears was 19 of 21 for 185 yards and a touchdown (also ran 65 yards for a score) against defending state champ Glenvar in last week's 28-27 win. With that being said Lee was averaging 39 points per game and the Eagles pitched a shutout with the help of two forced fumbles in the red zone and just 168 yards from scrimmage (with Lee averaging over 400 per game). At this level everybody has a good offense but defense can be the difference. Clarke allows 8 points per game. Should be a good close game.
Wasn't Glenvar's defense only giving up around 6 a game? I believe Union will have too many options and weapons on offense and a good enough defense to get it done. 31-28 Union

Glenvar has a very good defense, big line that wore Giles down in the 4th quarter both games this year and Giles usually does that to most opponents. Giles had too many players going both ways on the line this year to get them any rest. Union is formerly Powell Valley which played against Giles and the wing a lot over the years but I think the last time was 2006. Does Clarke run the same version of the single wing that Giles does? I think there are several variations.

No two single wing offenses are alike, too many variables such as which series of plays they run, blocking assignments for the line and how specific players are utilized. Initial formation may be similar, but after the ball is snapped, its all different to varying degrees.

Everyone thought lee would put points up on clarke and well they did not. I believe this group of eagles likes everyone doubting them. They feed off of it. Clarke 28-Union 27.
Special teams will be the difference i believe.

Glenvar has a very good defense, big line that wore Giles down in the 4th quarter both games this year and Giles usually does that to most opponents. Giles had too many players going both ways on the line this year to get them any rest. Union is formerly Powell Valley which played against Giles and the wing a lot over the years but I think the last time was 2006. Does Clarke run the same version of the single wing that Giles does? I think there are several variations.
Don't forget that Union is the former Powell Valley AND Appalachia. Not sure how many of the coaches from that year remain on Union's staff.

It looks like Clarke's version is a little different. Plus Clarke has passing formations as well.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2955550/highlights/313138401/v2
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2959742/highlights/294096583/v2

They 5-2 defense was designed to stop the single wing....I know many teams sometimes use the 5-2 or 52 monster as its sometimes called. ...Giles even uses it most of the time...but the key will be how good Clarke blocks and how good Union reads their keys and plays to their strengths.....Glenvar used a modified 5-2...knowing their front 4 were so dang good they had 2 to 3 linebackers flow to the holes and fill them because their front 5 wouldn't let our linemen scrape off n get another block...probably union advantage in my opinion

Dunno. Just happy as hell right now, getting my voice back. Clarke's never made it this far, lotsa folks don't think they can handle the West. I've never seen Union play, I know squat how to analyze teams. Just looking forward to hosting a state semifinal game and hope that Clarke beats Union.

Love it that you honestly remember that it's just plain fun! Most get so wrapped up in the X's and O's they forget this. Dalton22 gets it. It's the kids game. We are just lucky to be invited along for the ride. I wish I could be there, but two hours is about my limit. Heading to Phoebus hosting Magna Vista.

But I have a friend in the stands, and one up the Atlantic coast a ways that will keep me up to date. May the kids on both sides play their hearts out and all walk away healthy.

I don't know squat about Clark, but I have seen Union up close and I'll take them in this game. They are a well balanced team full of athletes that is also well coached.
Nothing against Clark, I just don't know much about them.
I'll take Union by a score of 35 to 21

I just looked it up for this game. Points for Union is 526 and Points against is 226. For Clarke Points for is 552 and against is 103. Not that it means a hill of beans but through 13 games only giving up 103 points is pretty good when you play your subs for large portions of games. Couldnt find any stats other than that one on union. Clarke has 3 backs over 1000 yards and 4-5 more with over 600 yards rushing. They have rushed for over 5000 yards as a team this season. I do not have a dog in this fight so to speak. I am pulling for Clarke because i am in their area. Union is a tremendous team have to be to be here at this point in the season. I believe in 2 games this year Clarke held teams to negative yards for the game. My biggest hope for saturday is that it is a good crowd and that both teams leave it all on the field as for some this could be the last time strapping it up. I really hope all the young men come out of this game healthy with no major injuries. Safe travels to all the union fans on your long journey to Clarke County. If you all in the mood for some good burgers or dogs before the game there is a five guys right off of I81 at the route 7 exit.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Two teams that are almost 400 miles apart, from opposite ends of the state, no common opponents, totally different offensive styles, predictions on the result are just wild guesses at this point. Could be a close game, or one team could pull away to a big win. Either way, let's just sit back and enjoy watching the kids play a football game in December.

Don't forget that Union is the former Powell Valley AND Appalachia. Not sure how many of the coaches from that year remain on Union's staff.

It looks like Clarke's version is a little different. Plus Clarke has passing formations as well.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2955550/highlights/313138401/v2
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2959742/highlights/294096583/v2
Looking at these videos it looks like Clarke's version of the wing is a lot different than Giles, especially the pass formations.

I think people may be surprised at Unions physical play as well. They pretty much tolk all Glenvar could dish out, and survived, often giving Glenvar a dose back. Alot of people in green were suprised to see Union's power on Saturday..

I think Union will be surprised by Clarke's power/physicality. Union may win but I do not think it will be because they are the more physical team. I feeling more and more that this may just be Clarke's year, finally.

It is impossible for me to make even the smallest of predictions about this game. Never seen Clarke. These teams have no opponents in common nor opponents' opponents.
I could spout off all day about Union's line, backs, QB, and WRs, but that still says nothing of how they will do against the Eagles. Margarine tastes pretty good until you've had butter. I'm just hoping that Union is the butter rather than Clarke.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
It is impossible for me to make even the smallest of predictions about this game. Never seen Clarke. These teams have no opponents in common nor opponents' opponents.
I could spout off all day about Union's line, backs, QB, and WRs, but that still says nothing of how they will do against the Eagles. Margarine tastes pretty good until you've had butter. I'm just hoping that Union is the butter rather than Clarke.
You coming up for the game?

I heard that Clarke was bringing in extra bleachers. Can anybody up that way confirm that?

We seen how comparing same opponents? Many on board said that they felt confident because Rustburg got beat in playoffs by Abingdon and Richlands spanked Abingdon during season. We struggled vs. Rustburg early in season. So comparing teams is not a great way of looking at it.

That is what we are hearing up here as well. I am guessing that home side seats a 1000 and visitors side 500 as it stands now.
Cool! I really have no idea how many Union fans will be going, but I was told that hotel prices have gone up in the area since Saturday.

87 members of our band are going and will be staying in Strasburg Friday night.

We seen how comparing same opponents? Many on board said that they felt confident because Rustburg got beat in playoffs by Abingdon and Richlands spanked Abingdon during season. We struggled vs. Rustburg early in season. So comparing teams is not a great way of looking at it.
True on close games. I would argue that if team A beats team B 50-0 and team B beats team C 50-0 then team A should beat team C.

When you're talking 14-7 and 28-21 games then comparisons go out the window. And scores can be very deceptive sometimes. It doesn't tell you how many turnovers, dropped passes, or other miscues a team has.

I really think that comparing opponents only helps in film study. You may be able to tell how you match up with an opponent by comparing common opponent game film when you look at specific player match ups.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT