ADVERTISEMENT

Union vs Clarke County

Downtown is well east of the school and field area. No need to go through downtown. If coming north up 340, just turn left onto Senseny Road, then right on Westwood Road which brings you to field the back way.

Check the thread regarding Traffic Advisory for Clarke County Area on Saturday for specifics.

Thanks, I missed that thread. How far out of town is Senseny Road? We are coming up from Culpeper. I assume turning on the toll gate road is the best route in?

Senseny Road is about 3/4 mile south of town limits. You can always take Route 17 off of I-66 then north to Route 50, west to Hwy 340 then north to Berryville.

Defense wins championships. Smash mouth football is the best type of football to me.
Except when it doesn't. lol

Its tough to win big games without a good defense, but you can win championships if your offense is capable of scoring on any defense. Defense can keep you in a game, but you have to have some offense to win. You can't win if you can't score (99 Rams, last year's Patriots, the 88-89 Niners, etc...)

2000 ravens won with just a defense and when i played all the championship winning teams were defenseive juggurnauts and not high flying offense at all. Give me a great defense and a offense that than put up 28 points and you win majority of your games.

2000 ravens won with just a defense and when i played all the championship winning teams were defenseive juggurnauts and not high flying offense at all. Give me a great defense and a offense that than put up 28 points and you win majority of your games.

Im not saying a great defense can't win, only that to win, you must score points. The 2000 Ravens is one f the best defenses in the history of football, cant really compare teams to them. Same with the 2002 Bucs.

Give any team a great defense and an offense averaging 26 PPG and they win the majority of their games. But at this level, the defenses aren't quite that good, or Glenvar would have beaten Union.

HR6 is an enigma. He likes 59-45 football games but 2-1 baseball games.
He doesn't care if a team puts up a lot of points, just matters if they throw the ball a lot. He stated this in a 4A thread talking about loathing Jefferson Forest and their run offense. There is only one run team he ever would watch and that is Giles. I don't know why he wouldn't enjoy another team running single wing but that is HR6 for you. I bet you he would rather see a football game where both teams threw the ball 60 times each and completed 10 each rather than seeing a game like Clarke-Buffalo Gap, any Riverheads game etc

N
Good luck to Coach Parker, his staff, and the Eagle players. One of the best programs in the state at any level.
not even close to one of the best programs in the state. Win a state championship then you can say that. This is the first time they've made it this far...SMH!

Reactions: Pioneer101
N
not even close to one of the best programs in the state. Win a state championship then you can say that. This is the first time they've made it this far...SMH!
You do realize that the schools that combined to make Union were very successful by themselves. I know there were multiple championships between the two, so they have won so they can say that

You do realize that the schools that combined to make Union were very successful by themselves. I know there were multiple championships between the two, so they have won so they can say that
He said Clarke County was one of the best programs in the state no matter which division... I was talking about Clarke who I think has a good program but not close to being one of the best programs in the state.

Reactions: Pioneer101
I know all about Powell Valley and AppalachiaThe jones BrothersI...I drove to Gate City when they played Handley in the Championship years ago

How are officials assigned for state games, such as the semis and the final? Do they come from local officials associations as during the regular season, or perhaps are they drawn from a neutral area with no bias toward teams playing? Any involvement from VHSL on this?
Yes the VHSL assigns all state games with officials from associations that dont work either team's games and close by to cut travel expenses--says my source Sat officials for Union-Clarke Are from the Harrisonburg/Staunton area. My guess is they also carry flags too.

Often times I have seen "local" officials working games at every level of playoffs.

I remember a Regional baseball championship game once where both umpires were graduates of one of the schools playing.

N
Fair enough. One of the most consistent programs in the state. 59-13 since 2009.

Fair enough. One of the most consistent programs in the state. 59-13 since 2009.

2008- 9-3, may have very well been the second/third best 2A team in the state, just unfortunate Region B was home too Gretna.
2007- 8-3 played two defending State champs this year, riverheads and goochland. Lost to each by a touchdown.

So 76-19 since 2007...pretty consistent, unfortunately so consistent this is the first time they've been apart of the final four.

I do like how they played Millbrook and Handley this year even though it was Handley's worst team ever. I think games like that will help them in the playoffs and maybe one day lead them to a "State Championship"

I do like how they played Millbrook and Handley this year even though it was Handley's worst team ever. I think games like that will help them in the playoffs and maybe one day lead them to a "State Championship"
I hope they win it this year

Reactions: eagleball20
He's 36/37. Won state championships at Appalachia in '94, '96, '97.
Cool! Thanks! Looks like he has Union on the right track. It would seem that he has a long, bright future in the coaching business if he chooses.

Only game where I wish Union scheduled someone different was Eastside. Pitiful team. I'm thinking the score was 48-6 either early in the 2nd quarter or late in the first. After that, I am pretty certain the starters were taken out. A lot of people knew it would be a blowout.

Regular season records of regular season opponents.

Union:
John I Burton 9-1
Richlands 9-1
Davy Crockett (5A Tenn) 6-4
Ridgeview 6-4
Gate City 3-7 (About the best 3-7 team I've ever seen if there is such a thing)
Lee 5-5
Central (Wise) 7-3
Eastside 2-8
Letcher Central KY 5A 4-6 (I think they were plagued with injuries, not sure)
John Battle 2-8

Union had played some pretty bad opponents. Then again some pretty good ones.
According to U.S. Newsweek, Crockett has 1200 students and Lechter had 937 so they both would be 3A on Virginia. Not discounting Union, just putting those two wins in perspective.

It doesn't matter if there is one person in the stand, the game is about the players on the field and the game being played.

With that being said, this is a game of two different styles of football, Union appears to want to pass the ball around and get their athletes into space; while Clarke will try and pound the ball for four quarters. I see Clarke winning by two scores.
You are wearing some very dark shades, if you see if that way.... Clarke had better hope they can "pound the ball for four quarters".. Union can put points on the board.

Reactions: Union_Fan
According to U.S. Newsweek, Crockett has 1200 students and Lechter had 937 so they both would be 3A on Virginia. Not discounting Union, just putting those two wins in perspective.
Letcher and Crockett are both 5A in their respective states, but according to Virginia ADM numbers that are used for classification, they are not. Letcher would be a 3A Virginia school. According to official TSSAA numbers.http://m.columbiadailyherald.com/sp...gures-be-used-tssaa-football-reclassification
Crockett has 1306 students and would be a 4A Virginia school. Even if they did have 1200 they would still be 4A since the smallest 4A school in Va is Lafayette with an enrollment of 1132.

Letcher was a good team, but not great. However, the win over Crockett was bigger than it first appeared as Crockett finished with a 6-4 record and wins over Cherokee(first in 12 years) and Tennessee High (first ever).

Looks like a running team vs. a passing team here for tomorrow's game. I'm gonna have to find someone with nitro pills to keep me alive!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT