ADVERTISEMENT

VHSL All State C4

I hate that Robert Anderson moved on because there's nowhere to get stats at anymore in our neck of the woods other than hoping the Times had at least a blurb on the game, had at least a blurb on the player in question, and then add them up week by week. Drives me nuts that Salem doesn't keep stats online somewhere, it's so ridiculously easy to do.

It's like that everywhere @1MoreHokie. I do a media guide that includes summaries, records, schedules, pictures and stats for both teams. The media guys enjoy it, it benefits all players and at the State Championship the public address announcer used my guide all game. However, getting the opposing teams to help is almost impossible. In fact, we have to beg for accurate rosters for our PA guy. We had 19 media outlets at two of our playoff games and to be brutally honest the head coaches for the opposing teams acted like I wanted the key to Fort Knox. Crazy thing is no one sees the guide until game time. I don't get it. I guess I am spoiled because Coach Mills is so transparent. I miss the days of the associated press. You could get scores and up to date stats.

I hate that Robert Anderson moved on because there's nowhere to get stats at anymore in our neck of the woods other than hoping the Times had at least a blurb on the game, had at least a blurb on the player in question, and then add them up week by week. Drives me nuts that Salem doesn't keep stats online somewhere, it's so ridiculously easy to do.
You would think that the "SALEM" Times Register would post the weekly game stats / box scores. They have a decent article about the game. Hardly anything ever mentioned about stats. Roanoke Times has really gone downhill on local sports. They used to have articles and stats in Saturday paper with several games featured, now you don't get anything till Sunday's paper. and very little then.

Reactions: dblplaa
Have you volunteered?

You would think that the "SALEM" Times Register would post the weekly game stats / box scores. They have a decent article about the game. Hardly anything ever mentioned about stats. Roanoke Times has really gone downhill on local sports. They used to have articles and stats in Saturday paper with several games featured, now you don't get anything till Sunday's paper. and very little then.

The guy who covers is a nice guy but he's also chiefly the photographer so I think he just does a summary and then if they had stats he relied on Anderson to get them. They used to have one of the JV assistants (I know it used to be Danny Wheeling long ago) keeping stats but who knows now. I imagine they still have stats somewhere but just nothing available to the public.

All of the top programs still have dedicated statisticians. Some even have two. I was told by several legit media guys that the coaches will not even provide them with this "top secret" information. 😂

Last edited:
All of the top programs still have dedicated statisticians. Some even have two. I was told by several legit media guys that the coaches will not even provide them with this "top secret" information. 😂
You know Bleeding Navy, the more I hear about what other teams do without, the more fortunate I know we are at Dinwiddie.

I think the years of experience represented by the support crew, (or what we affectionately refer to as “The Press Booth Gang”), is a lot of the reason we have such success each week presenting the game. And one of those veterans is our Stat guy, Marcus.

I can’t remember when Marcus was not in the booth. Marcus provides feedback and information in real time to any broadcast media that might be covering the game. He works seamlessly with the spotters and our PA announcer. He provides a printout of the stats to the media at halftime and at the conclusion of the game. And, as you would expect, he has an eye for details that is unreal. We are truly blessed to have Marcus.

A humorous side note on Marcus. The coaches for both teams are upstairs in our press booth, and it is easy to hear what is being said upstairs when the get agitated. A least once a game, you will hear a coach say something like, “ Jesus Christ, who in the hell was offsides this time?“ Marcus will very calmly say, “that was #54 Coach” And that is usually followed by, “ thank you, that’s three damn times already this game,”

Bleeding Navy provides a media guide each week that is free to anyone that wants a copy. He produces this on his own time and at his own expense. What he produces is on par with, or better than, many collage publications. Dinwiddie is completely transparent and forthcoming with stats and player information, which is a tremendous help to him. But, it amazes us how difficult it is to obtain this type of information from our opponents. We do not know why they are so protective of information about player stats. It never is shared with Coach Mills and his staff before a game, and if it was, so what? Any Coach with any skills at all can see what he needs to see in the films. Why not make it easy for this type of information to be available to college recruiters and coaches. Hell, why not just let mama see that her baby boy leads the team in tackles? I just don’t get it.

Last edited:
Ditto. Marcus surely Bleeds Navy and is a dedicated member of our community. In fact, his entire family is. Marcus helps coach the middle school, makes logo t shirts, jackets and hats for the team and is a teacher. He definitely is a blessed with the ability to keep stats. I feel that I am correct on this, so I am going to say it. Marcus was trained by one of my favorite posters @DEVILSLB99 and his company StatsVA. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, Dinwiddie is blessed with volunteers who desire to give our kids the best. I guess it mirrors our coaching staff, parents, fans, and administration. A simple desire to be the best we can be. Honestly, I think many of the successful programs operate the same way. Kudos to the Schools and fans who still strive for excellence!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
It's like that everywhere @1MoreHokie. I do a media guide that includes summaries, records, schedules, pictures and stats for both teams. The media guys enjoy it, it benefits all players and at the State Championship the public address announcer used my guide all game. However, getting the opposing teams to help is almost impossible. In fact, we have to beg for accurate rosters for our PA guy. We had 19 media outlets at two of our playoff games and to be brutally honest the head coaches for the opposing teams acted like I wanted the key to Fort Knox. Crazy thing is no one sees the guide until game time. I don't get it. I guess I am spoiled because Coach Mills is so transparent. I miss the days of the associated press. You could get scores and up to date stats.
We have much more technology but much less information. I could follow GW-Danville from Hampton in the 1970's & 80's. I have mentioned it before but I got treated like I was robbing a bank when I went to cover a DeMatha game. They should never be allowed to "honor" veterans ever again. The attitudes surrounding stats and player rosters is unacceptable and volunteering to keep stats is not going to fix that.

I use to love reading the season stats leaders for teams in the area in the Tuesdays paper

Reactions: BleedingNavy
@SFUWO, seeing the weekly stats in the Roanoke Times helped me create players to look up to as a kid and something to strive for as a player.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT